TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
aaronwt
HD Addict

Does FIOS use Multistream Cable cards?

I'm going to get FIOS TV tomorrow and plan on getting it initially installed in both my TiVoHD boxes. Does Fios use multistream cards yet or are they still using single stream? Once I leave Comcast in December, I'll need 10 cable cards if they use single stream.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
chazas

So far, only S Cards (single stream). From what I have read you will be limited to 7 cablecards on Fios, so research this carefully before you jump ship.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas
So far, only S Cards (single stream). From what I have read you will be limited to 7 cablecards on Fios, so research this carefully before you jump ship.
That is true.

The reason for that limit is that MoCA (100Mbps over Coax) and the Actiontec router -- by which you get guide data and VOD on the Motorola STBs -- only allows connectivity to seven FiOS STBs and DVRs at once. Because of that, FiOS setup their order system to limit each customer account to seven STBs and DVRs. CableCards should not count against that limit, but they do with the current Verizon account / billing software.

They are working to eliminate that limit, but that probably won't happen until next year.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

I won't think about my Series 3 boxes until my year is up with Comcast in December. SO hopefully by then they will increase the limit or even better have multistream cards. They definitely charge too much for the cable cards. I pay Comcast zero for 6 cable cards and 4 cards from FIOS will cost me $12.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
JANNINO

BKDTV - I'm on the phone right with Verizon and I'm having the same problem. I want to install 4 HDTivos and one Verizon DVR and while Verizon tech tells me this is not a problem the Verizon billing is telling me no more than 7 cable cards allowed. What a joke this is. Is there any way around this problem or do I have to use one of my HD Tivos with only one cable card until Verizon ends this articifial limit or they come out with M cards??
JANNINO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

I just don't understand the need for more than two HD Tivo's in the house. I know, I know, other people have different needs, but do people really need four HD Tivos? I only have two so i do not have to compete/share with my kids. I get the S3, they get the THD. Four tuners, 250gb + 160 gb is enough for me. YMMV.
rmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassey
I just don't understand the need for more than two HD Tivo's in the house. I know, I know, other people have different needs, but do people really need four HD Tivos? I only have two so i do not have to compete/share with my kids. I get the S3, they get the THD. Four tuners, 250gb + 160 gb is enough for me. YMMV.
Do we really NEED an HDTV, a 7.1 sound system, any TiVo etc. ?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassey
Many people use them to replace the set top box. Since the S3/THD can tune digital channels, a lot of people use them on each TV they own.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #9
rmassey
Damn, these are fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Do we really NEED an HDTV, a 7.1 sound system, any TiVo etc. ?
Certainly not in every room of the house
rmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
JANNINO

We have 5 TVs in the house. The plan was to have one Verizon DVR (for the kids downstairs) and 4 HD Tivo units. The reason for 4 HD Tivos is the wife records everything and likes to have it available all over the house and she's not one to download shows into different units.

Verizon's 7 device limitation is an artificially induced limit and not a physical limit on their system as an ONT can handle 7 outputs. Have you every hear of a business limiting itself on how much of their own product they will sell??

I am now looking into Cablevision's IO service here in northern NJ and Verizon may have lost a paying customer do to their riduculous business practices. It is really unfortunate as a simple limitation on their billing software will ultimately cost them business.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
andrews777

I was just told by the Verizon Fios rep (after she called a tech guy) that they do have M-cards now for Fios. I will find out when they install next Wednesday (9/19), but it is possible I can get by with a single card for each of my Tivo HD units.

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
ah30k

I wonder what the payoff time is; truck roll fee/ monthly savings?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
andrews777

I am doing the initial install, so it is nothing extra for me.

I will post here if they are really available after the install date.

Brad
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
JANNINO

Andrews777 - Where are you located? I spoke to Verizon here in northern NJ and they said they do not have the M-cards yet. Those M-cards could solve my problem as I have 4 THDs and need 8 S-cards which Verizon Billing says I cannot have.

On another front - I thought I read in some other posts that the new fix that went out last week which fixed the problems on the SA cable cards is causing a problem on the M-cards. Anyone else know anything about this??
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
jimvaughan

They do not have m-cards in Southern CA, or at least didn't last week.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #16
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNINO
Andrews777 - Where are you located? I spoke to Verizon here in northern NJ and they said they do not have the M-cards yet. Those M-cards could solve my problem as I have 4 THDs and need 8 S-cards which Verizon Billing says I cannot have.

On another front - I thought I read in some other posts that the new fix that went out last week which fixed the problems on the SA cable cards is causing a problem on the M-cards. Anyone else know anything about this??
Im in northern NJ as well and i just ordered 3 fios cards for this saturday install. they transfered me to a tech because the customer service idiot didnt understan what an mcard is. anyway, the tech said (they are out of paramus) that they do not have mcards.
Aero 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #17
bdraw

Did any of you end up getting an M-Card from FIOS?
I'm in Tampa FL, and I just called. The lady didn't know what it was, so I asked her to find someone who did -- obviously I didn't say it like that -- then she came back and said it wouldn't be a problem. I'm setup for Monday between 8-10am. We'll see what the guy actually brings.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
andrews777

That is the way it went with my rep, although I won't know until Wednesday. I wish I could get it setup earlier.

Brad
Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #19
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

I'm hopeful I might get one. Because of an equipment malfunction, the installers couldn't get my FIOS tv up and running on Wednesday. When he asked me if there was anything he could do, I said, "yes, in the meantime, go back and see if you can't rustle me up an m-card to make up for it." He laughed and said he'd definitely see if he couldn't do just that.

At least he knew what I was talking about. We'll see when they come back. I don't think it's going to be today, but hopefully Monday.

Edited to add: just called. Still some kind of malfunction. He's going to call me on my cell today and give me a status update.
blhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

I was told that here in Northern VA they don't have any multistream cards. I just hope they get them by December when I switch my remaining boxes from Comcast to FIOS.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
Hannibal1209b

I just had my HD cards installed today and asked about multistream cards. The tech said that they only have them in Texas right now.
Hannibal1209b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #22
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal1209b
I just had my HD cards installed today and asked about multistream cards. The tech said that they only have them in Texas right now.
Woo Hoo! That means I may really get them. If they charge the same amount per month, I will save $6 per month! Good deal!

Brad
Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #23
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
That is true.

The reason for that limit is that MoCA (100Mbps over Coax) and the Actiontec router -- by which you get guide data and VOD on the Motorola STBs -- only allows connectivity to seven FiOS STBs and DVRs at once. Because of that, FiOS setup their order system to limit each customer account to seven STBs and DVRs. CableCards should not count against that limit, but they do with the current Verizon account / billing software.

They are working to eliminate that limit, but that probably won't happen until next year.
Sorry, but wrong. It's simply an ordering system limitation. There is no technical limit. However FIOS TV will make it very difficult. I spent hours getting this resolved for my house.

I currently have 9 total devices in my house (6 CC's and 3 STB's). It took me a while to get Verizon to make this happen, but they worked around the ordering system limitation (I had 7 devices before, and needed +2 CC's, so I said I was cancelling a STP and adding a CC, and then had the guy install 2 CC's and left the STB alone when he showed up).

The activation system has no apparent limitation.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #24
edrock200

I just ran into this problem. I called them to come pick up their 3 HD dvr's and hook up my 3 new Tivo-HD's (I already had an exiting Tivo-HD with 2 CC's hooked up.) That would make 8 cable cards, they absolutely refused saying the system has a technical limit of 7.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #25
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
Sorry, but wrong. It's simply an ordering system limitation. There is no technical limit. However FIOS TV will make it very difficult. I spent hours getting this resolved for my house.

I currently have 9 total devices in my house (6 CC's and 3 STB's). It took me a while to get Verizon to make this happen, but they worked around the ordering system limitation (I had 7 devices before, and needed +2 CC's, so I said I was cancelling a STP and adding a CC, and then had the guy install 2 CC's and left the STB alone when he showed up).

The activation system has no apparent limitation.
Did you read my post?

That's just about exactly what I said, paraphrased from Verizon.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #26
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Did you read my post?

That's just about exactly what I said, paraphrased from Verizon.
Not really, your post would leave readers thinking they can't get more than 7 devices in their house. Which simply isn't true.

You need to push past the ordering system people, and you can get as many devices as you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #27
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrock200
I just ran into this problem. I called them to come pick up their 3 HD dvr's and hook up my 3 new Tivo-HD's (I already had an exiting Tivo-HD with 2 CC's hooked up.) That would make 8 cable cards, they absolutely refused saying the system has a technical limit of 7.
Push past the ordering people. You can get this done, no problem (or rather, with problems, but you can still get it done).

Just keep escalating.

!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #28
edrock200

I tried, spoke with technical dept, managers, etc. Not only were they not helpful, the manager gave me attitude and told me I would have to buy a second account or just quit FiOS. It was my first bad experience with FiOS. I may just get an installer to come out and see if I can convince him to activate more CC's. The installers always seem really cool.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #29
edrock200

AbMagFab,
Are you in the NoVA area? I just tried calling again, and once again got the runaround. Anyone have any email addresses or mail addresses for higher ups at Verizon FiOS? Either way, I ordered 4 cable cards and will try to talk the technician into letting me have 2 more. If not, does anyone know if Tivo HD will work in a "single tuner" mode?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrock200
AbMagFab,
Are you in the NoVA area? I just tried calling again, and once again got the runaround. Anyone have any email addresses or mail addresses for higher ups at Verizon FiOS? Either way, I ordered 4 cable cards and will try to talk the technician into letting me have 2 more. If not, does anyone know if Tivo HD will work in a "single tuner" mode?
Yes it works in single tuner mode. For the last week I used one of my TiVoHD boxes in single tuner mode. The CC in slot one went bad after the installer left last week so I just pulled it out and was able to just use the CC in slot 2 in single tuner mode. They replaced the bad CC card today and I was able to put in back in 2 tuner mode. I asked the tech about the Multistream cards and he said alll they have are SS cards. He said he would try to find out if anyone knew when they might be getting the multistream cards.

I have 4 CC cards(and one FIOS STB) with them and they had no problem giving me two more if I wanted. I should have done it but didn't want to mess with my S3 in the bedroom since it's a pain to take it out of the TV stand. This is where the slot sin the front really come in handy with the TiVoHD.