TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #61
TroyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It will be interesting to see how many of the S3/THD "I'm not buying another box until Tivo enables MRV" crowd actually goes out and gets another box ...

I was one of these people that said that, but my wife saw the fall preview guide of TV shows and instead of arguing about what we were going to watch and what we weren't I just ordered another S3 for the bedroom last week after reading about the possiblity of MRV and TTG coming soon.

Thanks TiVo for making this happen, because let's face it the wife's way is always the way things go and I won't be stuck watching what I want on the small bedroom TV, because I will now be able to transfer my shows onto the 60" TV in the Living Room.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #62
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat
TiVoPony, is the software that makes this happen run as a tray icon or a Windows Service?

I'd like a Windows Service because then I can install it on my Windows Home Server box. Maybe even make a WHS add-in...
It's Tivo Desktop and you can download it from Tivo.com. If you're into programming there is a development kit available (java or some such, I think).
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #63
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
PS - HD to PC? well the time and file size to do that will give people something to complain about
Wireless G is gonna suck. It could take a few hours to transfer one hour's worth of HD content of a decent bit rate (say 15 Mbps or better), and I'm guessing the MRV of such content over a wireless G connection isn't going to be practical. 100BASE-T and gigabit Ethernet connections might be tolerable.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #64
mercurial
Retro-Av

Ok, just to clarify- If a show is copy protected, obviously I can't TTG it, but can you MRV it between two boxes? Or at least MOVE it between two boxes so there is only one copy? That's one of my bigger usability issues. I want to record some things on the S3 in the basement (some of it HD and likely marked protected) but be able to pull it up to the family room for viewing sometimes.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #65
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts
100BASE-T and gigabit Ethernet connections might be tolerable.
The S3/THD aren't gigabit capable though, right?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #66
Blaq

Will HD content be downscaled if transferring to a SD box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
These features will provide support for video transfers between Series3 & Series2 systems and between a Series3/Series2 system and a PC. High Definition content will not be supported for transfer or playback on a Series2 system (Series2's just can't play HD),
Wow, what great news! That's one less reason for us not to contemplate buying a TiVoHD, even though here in Canada it would be limited to OTA stations.

One thing remains unclear to me: will the S3/TiVoHD allow transfers of non-protected HD shows to a S2, in standard-def format?
Blaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #67
SeanC
ECT

I dunno bout the THD, but the S3 most definitely is not Gigabit.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #68
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone
It's Tivo Desktop and you can download it from Tivo.com. If you're into programming there is a development kit available (java or some such, I think).
Go check this out, I think this is what you are looking for. Someone has already written a plugin for WHS and Tivo. Im thinking you would still need to run a program like PyTiVo to get shows from the pc back to the TiVo box though.

http://durfee.net/software/2007/07/t...r-for-whs.html
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #69
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaq
One thing remains unclear to me: will the S3/TiVoHD allow transfers of non-protected HD shows to a S2, in standard-def format?
Read carefully--he said (and you quoted), "High Definition content will not be supported for transfer or playback on a Series2 system (Series2's just can't play HD)". That would be a "no" answer to your question.

What you're asking for would require that they convert an HD program to standard def resolution and create a new MPEG encoding for it, kind of a tall order. You might be able to transfer the file to your PC, make the conversion there and copy it to a Series 2 using "TiVo2ComeBack".

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #70
bryus

I am on the verge of ordering a TiVoHD and this may push make the decision for me.

I have a DirecTiVo box now and my second tuner is dying. Getting a new DirecTiVo box isn't an option and transferring shows between boxes is very attractive.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #71
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
What you're asking for would require that they convert an HD program to standard def resolution and create a new MPEG encoding for it, kind of a tall order.
Reports are that the TiVoHD has a chipset that supports this sort of transcoding (though the Series3 doesn't).

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #72
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
Im thinking you would still need to run a program like PyTiVo to get shows from the pc back to the TiVo box though.
Since they're making "TiVoToComeBack" an official feature, I'm guessing that they'll be adding the ability to transfer files onto TiVo to TiVo Desktop.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #73
MickeS

Considering the transfer from TiVo -> PC is currently more limited by the way TiVo handles audio and video, than by the network bandwidth, I hope they have found a way around this for HD content. Otherwise it will be excruciatingly slow.

EDIT: took out incorrect information.

Last edited by MickeS : 09-07-2007 at 11:21 AM.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #74
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhaler
Well, this is good news, although I have been let down on this topic before so I am cautious.

I own one Series 3, and without these abilities and Mac support, I have held back from getting new S3 or HD's Tivos for my other 4 TV's. I have a bunch of friends in the neighborhood who are the same way.

I just hope Tivo understands that Mac is a key segment since it is generally folks with higher spends--the customers you WANT to have.

Deliver these features and Mac compatibility, and I'll order 4 new ones with subscriptions before the holiday.
When you guys are asking for Mac support, you mean TTG, etc. copying to/from a Mac, right? I remember that TiVo had applications for both Windows and Mac, but then seemed to drop Mac and just go forward with Windows. But didn't Roxio pick up TiVo TTG, etc. functionality and now have it in their software on the Mac? I get emails it seems like every other day from Roxio talking about this latest version. And I've been ignoring them since I only had S3's and an HD. When these features hit in November, I'll probably pick up the Roxio software.

I guess I am missing what Mac support from TiVo would offer over what Roxio has in their latest version. The Roxio software is not free, but like you said, Mac users are higher spend folks.

I'm assuming the Roxio stuff will work with the S3's and HD's when MRV/TTG rolls out.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #75
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Considering the transfer from TiVo -> PC is currently more limited by the DRM "decoding" that the TiVo has to perform, than by the network bandwidth, I hope they have found a way around this for HD content. Otherwise it will be excruciatingly slow.
What DRM decoding? TiVo doesn't have to store things in encrypted form unless they're copy protected and if they're copy protected they're not eligible for TTG.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #76
MickeS

Quote:
What DRM decoding? TiVo doesn't have to store things in encrypted form unless they're copy protected and if they're copy protected they're not eligible for TTG.
Copy protection and encryption are not the same thing. The encryption they use is related to playing the file back on a PC. They currently use it on the Series 2 models.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #77
Brainiac 5

About not being able to transfer copy-protected material, as some others on the thread have wondered, how copy-protected does it have to be? The cable company can make it copy freely, copy once, or copy never. Copy freely and copy never seem pretty clear, but will we be able to transfer copy once content?

Unfortunately, where I live Comcast has every single channel except the broadcast channels marked copy once, and I think that is fairly standard practice.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #78
nathanziarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20TIL6
The Roxio software is not free, but like you said, Mac users are higher spend folks.
I hate that logic. Feature for feature Macs have been proven to be comparable in price, Apple simply doesn't make "low-end." Mac users are clearly not a large population to TiVo, and I accept that it isn't worth their time.

I'm excited about getting some video for my iPod and archiving some specials. Or just watching something recorded on my Mac while the wife uses the TV. I'd like to see MRV with some sort of scheduler that would let me just record 3 shows at the same time and have the TiVos figure it out. That'd be especially nice for ER, which NBC decided had to start an end one minute early, messing up other recordings that end on the 0s.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #79
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
I don't have anything new to say, but can't resist chiming in with a Thank You to TiVo And TiVoPony for announcing this now.

I think Santa is bringing two more TiVo HDs to our household for Christmas.
Yep...gotta get a bigger stocking to handle two more THD's for our household!! Woo hoo!!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #80
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Considering the transfer from TiVo -> PC is currently more limited by the DRM "decoding" that the TiVo has to perform, than by the network bandwidth, I hope they have found a way around this for HD content. Otherwise it will be excruciatingly slow.
actually that is a myth. The files are encrypted as they are recorded. However the media switch approach TiVo uses actually has the video in one stream and the audio in another stream. Since on a PC it is best to ahve one mpeg file TTG does the bulk of its work on the DVR muxing the two streams together.

now that is SD analog way this all worked. I do not know what TiVo does with digital stream. It may actually be that TiVo can TTG digital recordings faster if no muxing is needed. hmmm...............
Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #81
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_anders
What's a dctp server? Do you mean DHCP server? Do you have a router connected between your dorm room ethernet jack and your TiVo? Your TiVo should be getting it's ip address from your router first, then going out from there.

opps, yup. I meant DHCP. Yeah, i to figured that by just plugging it it should get a ip address from the router in the local apartment building. But it doesn't. When I want to the Computer help desk to get this sorted I was told that a Tivo is an unsupported device and the network does not allow it to get passed through. Any request tivo sends out is not returned and there for times out. To acces the network the net work must first scan your computer to varify that you have antivirus and have the latest security updates installed. If it doesn't, a device isn't allowed to access the network and doesn't get passed through. In addition, once a device is allowed through it must be registered, and the internet system forces a page on a computer or a mac for say when you open the browser where you have to fill out your full name, housing information and school email address. Wireless is a whole lot harder with a system scan at every connect and the need to log in with a user name and password.

I would love to get TivoToGo working as well as other networking features. But have been unable and just told by my school that tivo is a unsupported device.

I would love ot see this news on TTG and MRV revamp Tivo for the end of the year. Things are looking good=)
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #82
raitchison
this space for rent

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
But what will people complain about now?
Either the lack of satellite support or the lack of a lifetime service option, take your pick

Seriously, this is huge news, unfortunately it doesn't benefit me personally (I'd go without TV altogether before I gave TimeWarner a dime of my money) but this will fix one of the largest shortcomings in the TiVo HD/Series3 lineup.
raitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #83
StuffOfInterest

Auto-push via TTG would be nice

With the reduced hard disk size in the TiVo HD, it would be nice if TiVo To Go would support auto-push of programs to a computer rather than deleting schedulced recorded programs when in-box disk capacity maxes out. I'd much rather be in a situation of pulling the video back from the PC than having it disappear all together if I happen to record 21 hours of (non-protected) HD content.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #84
cwoody222

I could 11 posts asking about Mac support... out of 80 posts so far. That's not bad.

Pony - care to comment and quell any fears that TiVo will (once again) leave Mac users out in the cold?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #85
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest
With the reduced hard disk size in the TiVo HD, it would be nice if TiVo To Go would support auto-push of programs to a computer rather than deleting schedulced recorded programs when in-box disk capacity maxes out. I'd much rather be in a situation of pulling the video back from the PC than having it disappear all together if I happen to record 21 hours of (non-protected) HD content.
TiVo Desktop already supports automatic downloading of season passes. I see no reason this will change when S3 support is added.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #86
nathanziarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence
... To acces the network the net work must first scan your computer to verify that you have antivirus and have the latest security updates installed. If it doesn't, a device isn't allowed to access the network and doesn't get passed through. In addition, once a device is allowed through it must be registered, and the internet system forces a page on a computer or a mac for say when you open the browser where you have to fill out your full name, housing information and school email address. Wireless is a whole lot harder with a system scan at every connect and the need to log in with a user name and password...
OT, but Holy cow!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #87
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
actually that is a myth. The files are encrypted as they are recorded. However the media switch approach TiVo uses actually has the video in one stream and the audio in another stream. Since on a PC it is best to ahve one mpeg file TTG does the bulk of its work on the DVR muxing the two streams together.

now that is SD analog way this all worked. I do not know what TiVo does with digital stream. It may actually be that TiVo can TTG digital recordings faster if no muxing is needed. hmmm...............
Thanks for correcting me. Either way, I hope they have a different approach to this, so transfer speeds can be increased.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #88
rodalpho

Pretty much all channels in my cable system (time warner cable, southern manhattan) are CCI byte 0x2 - copy once. This covers everything except for a couple of HD channels, including discovery, sci-fi, comedy channel, FX, etc. Am I pretty much SOL for TTG?

Also, does the S3 support mpeg-4 encoded TTCB files? Or is that still covered under NDA?
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #89
TiivoDog
FIOS Fast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
I dunno bout the THD, but the S3 most definitely is not Gigabit.
Yeah, this is a bummer as I have addressed this topic a while back both in this forum per the link below, as well as the provided link in that post, which tied back to when the Tivo S3 unit was first publicly available for display at 2006 CES show. I was certain the lack of gigabit speeds would raise concern within the Tivo Community as that enhancement would have greatly expedited transfer rates within one's own network (i.e. Home) for both MRV & TTG.....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5278524

4 Series3

2 Series2

Sony Google TV

2 AppleTVs

Onkyo NR-1008

HP MSS EX475 (OS 3.0)

GigE LAN

FIOS TV (127 HD Channels)
FIOS Data (35/35 Mbps)
TiivoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #90
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest

I'm not positive- as I dont use it regularly but can't you tell the tivo desktop to auto pull by series?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote