TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #721
ah30k

I could never watch S2 -> S2 transfers in real time. I think people forget to specify their recording quality when stating S2 transfer times. I use Best and can't get anywhere near realtime.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #722
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
I could never watch S2 -> S2 transfers in real time. I think people forget to specify their recording quality when stating S2 transfer times. I use Best and can't get anywhere near realtime.
This makes me think of a question for Adam:

S3 Best is extremely high bit rate...over 7mbps. Are you transfering that to an S2?

(Also S3 high is nearly 6mbps, higher than S2 Best @5.5mbps)
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #723
gbrandenstein

Let me see if I get this right

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Yes, even from a Mac.

Mac support is via Toast 8 or Popcorn 3.

Cheers,
Pony

For the same functionality that Windows users get for FREE, Mac users have to purchase a $70.00 piece of software?? Am I the only one that feels that this is unfair on Tivos part? What does Tivo have against Macs??
gbrandenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #724
bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle
For one thing, there's a bunch of network overhead in every home network and networked machine. Cheap routers and hubs, unmanaged switches, TONS of packet collisions.
Collisions!? Hubs!?

Good god man, join the rest of us who finished the 1990's almost a decade ago.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #725
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandenstein
For the same functionality that Windows users get for FREE, Mac users have to purchase a $70.00 piece of software?? Am I the only one that feels that this is unfair on Tivos part? What does Tivo have against Macs??
Welcome to last year.

Look up TiVoDecode Manager. It's free and it rocks.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #726
bkdtv

Does anyone know of an easy to use program for Windows that will accept high-definition MPG files and convert them to lower-resolution MPEG-4 or MPEG-4 AVC for portable media players? Ideally, it would have built-in profiles for common video players.

(I'm aware of many such programs, but they aren't easy to use. This is not for me, it is for the stickied FAQ.)
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #727
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Does anyone know of an easy to use program for Windows that will accept high-definition MPG files and convert them to lower-resolution MPEG-4 or MPEG-4 AVC for portable media players? Ideally, it would have built-in profiles for common video players.

(I'm aware of many such programs, but they aren't easy to use. This is not for me, it is for the stickied FAQ.)
I thought Tivo Desktop Plus is supposed to be able to do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #728
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandenstein
the same thing every other software company does- limited market so they have to decide if it's worth their limited resources to develop for macs. Tivo decided not to spend their own money to develop for macs so they let roxio do it for them- unfortunatly roxio makes money selling that software.

I'm not sure- but do a search I think you can hack some of the tivodesktop functionality for free with open source stuff.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #729
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
sure does- very simple and easy. But not free. I guess the OP is lookign for free too?

That I've never found.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #730
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Quote:

It does.

But Tivo Desktop Plus doesn't help you if you want to convert recordings after you've removed the commercials with another program.

For example, suppose you want to remove the commercials with VideoRedo and then encode the MPG into a format your iPod will accept.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #731
morac
Cat God

Quote:
It does.

But Tivo Desktop Plus doesn't help you if you want to convert recordings after you've removed the commercials with another program.

For example, suppose you want to remove the commercials with VideoRedo and then encode the MPG into a format your iPod will accept.
I know you can have VideoRedo save trimmed TiVo recordings as .TiVo files and TiVo Desktop will recognize them (including the meta data). I haven't tried to then convert it to another format, but I would think that would work.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #732
MichaelK

i *think* the latest tivo desktop allows after the fact conversions of .tivo files so that might work.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #733
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
Until the 9.x updates, I had no trouble at all watching S2 to S2 transfers as they were taking place. All my recordings are in "best" on my S2's, and I've used both wired and wireless, and I could transfer an hour show in 25 minutes, or less.

Now, with the 9.1 and 9.2 updates, it takes 2 or 3 hours to do an S2-S2 transfer of an hour show. I even switched back to wired, thinking that might speed it up. It didn't. But the S3 is still very fast, like the S2's used to be.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #734
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
I know you can have VideoRedo save trimmed TiVo recordings as .TiVo files and TiVo Desktop will recognize them (including the meta data).
I just tried this today with an S3 HD .TiVo using VRD and it didn't work--when I put the saved files into my Tivo Recordings folder they don't appear there from the S3...

Changed .tivo to .TiVo, changed their names to the originals' names; no worky.
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #735
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Though I've had problems with messed up playback of stuff I've trimmed in VideoReDo, when I edit .TiVo files and rewrite them to the TiVo Recordings folder (or any subfolder thereof) they show up on the Now Playing List in both TiVo Desktop and under the "MyComputerName" item on my S3's Now Playing List. In fact, if I write them out in that directory tree as .mpeg files they show up in TiVo Desktop and on TiVo, sans meta-data.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #736
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
This makes me think of a question for Adam:

S3 Best is extremely high bit rate...over 7mbps. Are you transfering that to an S2?

(Also S3 high is nearly 6mbps, higher than S2 Best @5.5mbps)
AHHH!!

Thank you!

I think you've solved my mystery.

Yes, all of my recordings are best, and they are bigger than the S2 best. I'm sure that's why it is different.

I'm still not sure I understand why it can't transfer at 7-8 mbps though on wired ethernet....

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #737
MichaelK

I'm wondering if the S3 best isn't equal to the S2 dvdr's 'extreme' setting and that's why I get decent speeds from my S2 to/from S3- there's no 'conversion' going on?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #738
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
AHHH!!

Thank you!

I think you've solved my mystery.

Yes, all of my recordings are best, and they are bigger than the S2 best. I'm sure that's why it is different.

I'm still not sure I understand why it can't transfer at 7-8 mbps though on wired ethernet....
Its the S2 and the adapter, they are too slow. Various adapters are faster/slower, but I don't remember ever getting more than 8mbps. In recent times I think my better adapters give me around 6mbps.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #739
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Its the S2 and the adapter, they are too slow. Various adapters are faster/slower, but I don't remember ever getting more than 8mbps. In recent times I think my better adapters give me around 6mbps.
It also depends on what S2 you have. The older models (240) are faster than the newer ones (540). I think the DT is somewhere in between or possibly slightly faster than the 240.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #740
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
It also depends on what S2 you have. The older models (240) are faster than the newer ones (540). I think the DT is somewhere in between or possibly slightly faster than the 240.
That's right. I am using 240's.

This is not MRV, but I just used TTG from a TiVo HD for an analog Best movie which I estimate went about 7.7mbps. If that were MRV THD to THD, it would be what, 20-30% higher? So native ethernet MRV THD to THD is around 10mbps and it is not surprising to see S2s w/ adapters below 7mbps. Then there is also that issue of S3/HD to S2 conversion.

Last edited by HDTiVo : 11-08-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #741
matstars

This is so confusing!
matstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #742
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by matstars View Post
This is so confusing!
You necroed a thread from 2007 to say that?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #743
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You necroed a thread from 2007 to say that?
Seems on par with the rest of his posts.