TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #31
brianlees

I think people are finally going to see how many shows are flagged as no copy or copy once (which was all agree sounds like won't be copyable between units). Once they do, I think they are going to be po'd.

I wish Tivo would support streaming between units ala Sling. That would eliminate this issue. HD Tivos have ethernet and wireless N (via USB add-on) is easily capable as well. But, alas, I'm sure it has been talked about here many times and I'm guessing it will never come.

I also wish I wouldn't be treated as a criminal by the media companies. I don't do bittorrent, I own all the songs on my iPod...why can't I watch a show I recorded on another device in my house. Ugh. *rant complete*
brianlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 PM   #32
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Hey guys,

I know you've been anxiously awaiting TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing on your Series3 and TiVoHD boxes.

I wanted to let you know that development has been progressing smoothly, and all is well. You can expect TTG & MRV to be available for Series3 and TiVoHD this November.
Hurrah! And please thank development for the hard work.

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #33
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlees
I think people are finally going to see how many shows are flagged as no copy or copy once (which was all agree sounds like won't be copyable between units).
I believe this info is already available in the Info screen for a program unless I am mistaken.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #34
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.

A great news day for TiVo.

I was going to ask about Rhapsody, but I'll start asking more about that tomorrow

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired

Last edited by d_anders : 09-06-2007 at 11:23 PM.
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #35
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence
This is great news. I only wish I could use networking on my Tivo though=\. My university's firewall blocks its access to the network and tivo tells me it cannot find a dctp server.
What's a dctp server? Do you mean DHCP server? Do you have a router connected between your dorm room ethernet jack and your TiVo? Your TiVo should be getting it's ip address from your router first, then going out from there.

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #36
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
I believe this info is already available in the Info screen for a program unless I am mistaken.
You are correct. If you go to the program information dialog for a saved recording and hit the INFO button, you get a dialog labelled "Program Details". There will be sections for "Title", "Episode Title" and "Content Rating", and if the recording is copy protected, those will be followed by a section labeled "Restrictions" which will read:
Quote:
Due to policy set by the copyright holder, this recording: Cannot be transferred to VCR, DVD or any other media device. To learn more, visit www.tivo.com/copyprotection.
(The way it's worded and punctuated, it looks as if there could be something else where "Cannot be transferred..." is, but I've never seen anything else).

There's no way for over-the-air content to be marked as protected (the dread Broadcast Flag was about marking OTA for some limited protection, but the legislation was repealed and has not been reincarnated). FCC regulations do not allow anything in the core basic cable tier to be copy protected at all; FCC regs also require that all rebroadcast of over-the-air channels be positioned in the core basic tier, so network HDTV cannot be copy protected. Anything outside of the core basic tier (expanded basic and premium subscription channels) can be marked for copy protection, but won't necessarily be. Looking at the stuff on my S3 right now, the recordings from Showtime, HBO and TNT (movies, Californication, Dexter, The Closer) are all copy protected; a recording of the US Open Tennis Championships from Universal HD isn't, nor are a couple of things from the Sci Fi Channel.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #37
jaydfwtx

Just wanted to add my voice for getting Mac support.
jaydfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #38
alansplace
------ Alan ------

Big Grin TTG & MRV Coming in November for Series3 & TiVoHD

Quote:

You can expect TTG & MRV to be available for Series3 and TiVoHD this November.

--
Alan
Toshiba RD-XS32S (DVR/DVD burner)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #39
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Curious, I just played around a little with recording what's showing now on my local cable system (my provider is North San Diego County Cox). NFL Yearbook on ESPN2 HD was protected, but Baseball Tonight on ESPN HD wasn't. Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag (a documentary) on MOJO was not protected, but Man-Made on National Geographic HD was. Red Hot Chili Peppers Live In Milan on MTV HD was not protected, The Thomas Crown Affair on TNT HD was. Sharkman (documentary) on Discovery HD Theater was not protected, but CSI: Miami on A&E HD was.

It's not clear whether these protections are on a program-by-program basis or whether whole channels are set protected; I suspect the latter, and things might not be set up the way that they intended (ESPN2 HD being protected while ESPN HD is not seems suspicious). Doubtless, the way protections are set will vary wildly by cable provider.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #40
SnakeEyes

Mac support?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #41
drew00001

What relation will the Comcast Tivo have in all this? Just wanted to know before I buy a THD, especially b/c of SV and VOD.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #42
mikesay98

As long as I can take content from my S3 and transfer it to my computer to put on my iPod, I'm completely happy. Please tell me this means that, cause it sure sounds like it!
mikesay98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #43
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001
What relation will the Comcast Tivo have in all this? Just wanted to know before I buy a THD, especially b/c of SV and VOD.
The feature-set of the UI the cable companies have commissioned from TiVo to run on Motorola and SA boxes is controlled by them and I strongly doubt that they'd order TTG (although I could believe they might go for MRV). In any case, doesn't TTG require an Ethernet connection? Do any of the leased cable boxes have one?

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #44
bwhaler

Well, this is good news, although I have been let down on this topic before so I am cautious.

I own one Series 3, and without these abilities and Mac support, I have held back from getting new S3 or HD's Tivos for my other 4 TV's. I have a bunch of friends in the neighborhood who are the same way.

I just hope Tivo understands that Mac is a key segment since it is generally folks with higher spends--the customers you WANT to have.

Deliver these features and Mac compatibility, and I'll order 4 new ones with subscriptions before the holiday.
bwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #45
jb007
Secret Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydfwtx
Just wanted to add my voice for getting Mac support.
Ditto!!!
jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 AM   #46
jfh3

Quote:
Hey guys,

I know you've been anxiously awaiting TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing on your Series3 and TiVoHD boxes.

I wanted to let you know that development has been progressing smoothly, and all is well. You can expect TTG & MRV to be available for Series3 and TiVoHD this November.
Great news !

(Good thinking to have the retailer demo videos on the Tivo HD boxes already have this information embedded in them. Now if you could just find a way to have more stores actually hook up a unit in demo mode)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:13 AM   #47
montivette

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
But what will people complain about now?
Maybe the software won't work correctly on Vista and we can complain about it.

I bet people will find something else to complain about. Nobody is ever totally satisfied it seems.
montivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #48
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
It's not far off guys.
It depends upon how busy your life is. The rest of September, all of October, and an indeterminate number of days into November is just barely over the line of 'far off' to 'not far off' to me. To some people, that time span is more like 'before you know it.

Last edited by vman41 : 09-07-2007 at 02:25 AM.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #49
Phantom Gremlin

I don't have anything new to say, but can't resist chiming in with a Thank You to TiVo And TiVoPony for announcing this now.

I think Santa is bringing two more TiVo HDs to our household for Christmas.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #50
jfh3

Quote:
These features will provide support for video transfers between Series3 & Series2 systems and between a Series3/Series2 system and a PC. High Definition content will not be supported for transfer or playback on a Series2 system (Series2's just can't play HD), and copy-protected High Def or Standard Def content cannot be transferred
Does "copy protected" mean "anything from a digital channel with a non-zero CCI value"?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #51
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
I think Santa is bringing two more TiVo HDs to our household for Christmas.
It will be interesting to see how many of the S3/THD "I'm not buying another box until Tivo enables MRV" crowd actually goes out and gets another box ...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #52
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #53
nhaigh

Yes !! Now I'll go out and buy a couple more HD TiVo's
1 x TiVo S3 HD left
3 TiVo Premiers
Verizon FiOS - No Copy Protection :)
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #54
SullyND
W: 48-17

Quote:
You can expect TTG & MRV to be available for Series3 and TiVoHD this November.
Wow, awesome news, I'm impressed that it's pinned down to a date rather than "soon". I don't think I've seen that before. Hey look, no space after TiVo for the HD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
But what will people complain about now?
Fof answered you two posts down:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Even from a Mac?
My guess, Mac Support, Copy Protection, (*TiVo sucks, it won't let me transfer ANYTHING, because their CableCo is screwed up), SDV, and Lifetime Subscriptions/ability/inability to transfer/purchase. Did I miss any of the usual suspects? Oh and poor parking habits, seat reclining, and gas station conversationalists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts
In any case, doesn't TTG require an Ethernet connection? Do any of the leased cable boxes have one?
Ethernet, or USB and a compatible adapter, and yes, the Moto boxes have both (or at least did last I looked)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It will be interesting to see how many of the S3/THD "I'm not buying another box until Tivo enables MRV" crowd actually goes out and gets another box ...
Some will become owners, others will become the

"I'm not buying another box until Tivo addresses SDV" crowd

OR the

"I'm not buying another box until Tivo brings back Lifetime Subscriptions" crowd

Last edited by SullyND : 09-07-2007 at 07:19 AM.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:22 AM   #55
TiivoDog
FIOS Fast!!!

As a proud owner of 7 Tivo units, this is an epic step forward for Tivo, its community (TivoNation) and Cablelabs equipped technology at large!!! As everyone on this board is aware, it has been a long struggle for Tivo to gain support from Cablelabs in order to extend their services into this new frontier, which will be certain to gain further applaud / accolades from its users.

Additionally, I am now anxious to hear commentary from Tivo's naysayers as the S2/S3 Tivo line will be now have common functionality less HD content of course and have units (Tivo HD) within the financial grasp of virtually everyone!!!

Again, great news and can't wait for the upgrade!!

4 Series3

2 Series2

Sony Google TV

2 AppleTVs

Onkyo NR-1008

HP MSS EX475 (OS 3.0)

GigE LAN

FIOS TV (127 HD Channels)
FIOS Data (35/35 Mbps)
TiivoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #56
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

That is fricking awesome! Get me some HD source content for that iPod Touch that I absolutely must have! Sweet!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #57
chazas

I just bought an S3 for my main TV and I am, for the most part, thrilled with it. When this happens I will buy HDs for my other two TVs.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #58
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It's begining to look a lot like Christmas

PS - HD to PC? well the time and file size to do that will give people something to complain about
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #59
doormat

TiVoPony, is the software that makes this happen run as a tray icon or a Windows Service?

I'd like a Windows Service because then I can install it on my Windows Home Server box. Maybe even make a WHS add-in...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:55 AM   #60
Beantownbeanie

THis is great. Now I can get a Tivo HD for the bedroom and off load programs to watch from the living room Tivo HD. I won't need to get 2 more cable cards unless I decide that I need to watch something that is not OTA live in the bedroom.
Beantownbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote