TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
pusta

Question on QAM mapping

Just a quick question on clear QAM channels (not sure I fully understand it). I have the basic 11.99 cable package from Comcast, which gets me 2-22 and their HD equivs where available. Right now I have cable cards, so CBS SD is channel 4, and CBS HD is 804. I connected my cable directly to my digital TV and did a channel scan, and CBS came up as 4, and CBS HD came up at 4-1. It's like this for NBC (7, 7-1) ABC (5,5-1) and Fox (13, 25-1). Does this mean Comcast is properly mapping the QAM channels, and I have no need for cable cards? If I take the cable cards out, will I get valid guide data for the channels above?
pusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
moyekj

Your TV is using PSIP information and displaying the virtual channel number (corresponding to OTA transmissions). Without cable cards in your Tivo it would similarly have those virtual channel numbers following a channel scan, however you will get no guide listings that way for the HD channels so leave it as is.
(You are lucky that you can get cable cards without having to subscribe to digital cable as many other providers/areas don't allow cable card rental without subscription to digital package or at least a digital gateway fee).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
pusta

Damn, wanted to pay Comcast even less :-) May have to finally go OTA only and sever all ties.

Thanks for the info!
pusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
lafos

If you can get your local HD stations OTA, then you can do that, and get guide data. You wouldn't need the cards. The HD channels will map based on the PSIP info, so the stations would show up the same as on your TV. May be worth a test.
lafos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
spocko
TiVo HD

If you have the ability to receive OTA, then I don't see any reason to pay Comcast for the basic service package. Your Tivo will provide you with valid guide data for OTA channels.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote