TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Arrow New TiVoHD Update Available - SA CableCard Users

As promised, we've completed our testing and a new update is now available for TiVoHD. We believe this will alleviate the majority of issues people have reported with CableCards, specifically some issues with SA CableCards.

The software is mapped to all TiVoHD systems, you should see it on your box in the next couple of days (unless you are pressing 'connect to TiVo service now' repeatedly).

We appreciate your patience through the resolution of these issues.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
bkdtv

Summary for 8.1.7c2 Update
  • Yes, it eliminates pixelization and audio dropouts with Scientific Atlanta CableCards!

• The new software only eliminates pixelization and audio dropouts on live TV and new recordings, not old recordings.

• To enable 30s skip, use the Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select code while watching timeshifted programming, rather than recorded programming.

Last edited by bkdtv : 09-05-2007 at 10:24 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Globular
No time to hack

Just in time for Football season! I'll report on it's affect as soon as I get it.

Thanks Pony.
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
bdlucas
Right side up again.

TC CLUB MEMBER
Got the 8.1.7c2 update. Only been watching for a few minutes, but so far so good.

ETA: two SA S-cards

Last edited by bdlucas : 09-05-2007 at 06:29 PM.
bdlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
navman

Im running home at lunch to see if this works, thank you tivo......
navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
As promised, we've completed our testing and a new update is now available for TiVoHD. We believe this will alleviate the majority of issues people have reported with CableCards, specifically some issues with SA CableCards.

Thanks for the update Pony .. I will hit my "update now" over and over again in a moment .. Question for you .. (and I do hope you continue to observe this thread) .. can you list what issues those were that you believe have been alleviated?

Obviously there is the pixelation stuff .. but have you touched on the Dolby audio-drop out stuff (Ya know, where if you go to PCM you're fine... but who likes losing their Dolby) .. or is that waiting for the 8.3 merge?

Thanks again.. looking forward to testing it out!

-MirclMax
MirclMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
dkwong

What's the DD audio drop out bug? I use DD and haven't noticed any drop outs. Also, has the mono bug been fixed?
dkwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwong
What's the DD audio drop out bug? I use DD and haven't noticed any drop outs. Also, has the mono bug been fixed?
As reported by another user in the official TiVo HD issue thread ..
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5409060

-MirclMax
Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
lickwid

Quote:
I second the Mono audio bug for Analog channels...
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
chsscgas

TiVo Pony

Based on my own experience and postings on this website, S3 TiVos using SA cablecards seem to be less stable than those using Motorola cablecards.

Are you guys looking at SA cablecard issues with the S3 and is there a chance some of the TiVoHD fixes could help the S3's?
chsscgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsscgas
TiVo Pony

Based on my own experience and postings on this website, S3 TiVos using SA cablecards seem to be less stable than those using Motorola cablecards.

Are you guys looking at SA cablecard issues with the S3 and is there a chance some of the TiVoHD fixes could help the S3's?
Yes...whats the story for the S3 users. I have had the macroblocking issue since 8.3 was installed.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Just want to post an early optimistic response ... running "c2" for just a little bit now .. but it *seems* better.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

guys, please keep posting your experiences with the new update. i am dying to get home! please please please please please work!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Ambival

I agree. I've been having the same blocking issues with my HD for quite a while now.
Ambival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
navman

Updated my tivo...............
All seems fabulous so far
1) No Audio Dropouts
2) No pixellation/macroblocking.
I tested it for about 45 minutes and then unfortunately had to get back to work.
But definitely see a huge improvement, in the time i tested the update had none of the aforementioned problems.
So there you go all you naysayers and skeptics (myself included) tivo proves you wrong again!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
Legacy679

So far things have been great for the last 20 minutes or so. I was seeing macroblocking consistently prior to the update.
Legacy679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #17
hank12345

I happen to be home on vacation this week, and just forced a call......

Downloaded the 8.1.7c software and......

It SEEMS to have fixed my issues! (or at least improved it!) I haven't had chance to watch a full hour show yet, but so far NO macroblocking on my HD channels.... previously I had some macroblocking every couple of minutes...

I'll post again after I can spend more time with it.

For the record- 2 Single Stream SA cards, Charter Cable, Western Massachusetts
hank12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
jfh3

For those that report change (or no change), please post (a) what the CableCARD manufacturer is and (b) whether you are using single stream or multistream cards.

The person I want to hear most from is Chimpware ...
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #19
silypuddy

Anyone know how long this takes to install?

I've been stuck at the "Almost there..Just a few minutes more..." screen for over 10 minutes.

I saw the pending restart, so I unplugged and rebooted.

It said it was installing a new update, rebooted and now I am stuck here.

Should I just unplug and try again?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
dfelska

Smile Yipeee!! Please let it fix the DD audio problems too

TivoPony you must love days like this one. Racing home to hit download repeatedly...thank you. And if this fixes the audio drops, well, heaven......

thanks

Last edited by dfelska : 09-05-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
dfelska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #21
dkwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirclMax
As reported by another user in the official TiVo HD issue thread ..
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5409060

-MirclMax
Ah, I'm using HDMI for both audio and video, so that's probably why I didn't have the audio drop problem. Thanks.
dkwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #22
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
Ah, I'm using HDMI for both audio and video, so that's probably why I didn't have the audio drop problem. Thanks.
I'm using HDMI for both as well... and Dolby Digital dropped out tons .. even on PCM, the music choice stations were very choppy.

That being said .. under this new release, I've switched back to Dolby Digital and currently have noticed no problems (2 x SA cards)

-MirclMax
Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #23
navman

No problems so far with new update.
2 SA S-Cards with Cox in Phoenix.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #24
rcamille

My unit updated to the new software version, but upon restart, both cable cards did not initialize properly. I removed both cards, reinstalled card 1 allowed it to initialize, then reinstalled card 2 and allowed it initialize.

After that, it would not tune to any stations.

I ran guided setup and now all is well.

It seems that when the unit restarts, I have some kind of problem with the cable cards initializing. This does not happen all the time, but i would say 75% of the time. Albeit, the unit does not restart that often, but this is a bit of a hassle.

Anyone else with the same problem?

BTW, with the new update - everything looks real good. No macroblocking observed thus far.
rcamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
navman

dont have to unplug you can go to restart/reboot from tivo menu........worked for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #26
joneSi

Looking good here, but I was good before. 2x Moto cards on Mediacom in the Quad Cities (IA/IL border). Just want better menu response.

As far as HDMI, I use it, but only for video. Direct digital connection between the TiVo HD and the VSX-1014 receiver with zero DD dropouts. If you are still getting drops then you may want to consider hooking up directly to the receiver until the DD drops are fixed, if the possibility exists.

joneSi
joneSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #27
PSUMattDE

Working fine here as well - but since i'm on FIOS w/ Moto S-cards, version b fixed me previously.

I am still getting dolby digital audio dropout - especially on MTV (FIOS channel 180).

I really hope this is an addt'l software issue.
PSUMattDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #28
tgmii

so far so good!

I've been running it for about an hour, both tuners, basic and premium channels... so far so good!

2 Scientific atlanta single stream cards w/ cablevision

Old recordings still pixelate, but I pretty much expected that.

Now can you guys help the people at Palm fix the Treo 700p patch!

Great work!

Tom
tgmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #29
randymac88

Okay folks:

2 Scientific Atlanta Single Stream Cards
Time Warner Cable Manhattan

Prior to the update: Frequent Pixelation, approximately 1x per minute.; some audio dropouts but no big deal; some stopping/starting/dropouts when I first change to a channel.

After the update: Been watching for 2hrs and haven't seen a single bit of pixelation. The issues when I first change to a channel are still there, but I didn't expect this to be fixed and it's not that big of a deal.

The only weirdness: One time, changing to an HD channel, the broadcast froze for about 3 seconds, and then flipped to the cablecard initialization screen (black with grey borders, says "press clear to exit"). I pressed "clear" and it went back to the channel and it was as if nothing happened. Don't know what that was all about, hope it doesn't happen too often, and hopefully it's not a sign of trouble on the horizon.

But overall, this is GREAT EFFING NEWS. I AM HAPPY.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #30
dfelska

Thumbs up It works!!!

Time Warner Cable Manhattan (the worst cable company on the planet - if Tivo works with them, it will work with anything)

Before the update, my other half complaining constantly about the picure and audio problems and asking daily when it was going to be fixed. I got good at saying "really soon, they will figure it out". Since the update, neither of us have seen a single macroblocking issue in either the living room or bedroom. I have to say, amazing work and better than I had hoped by far. And I don't know if this was intentionally addressed, but the Dolby Digital audio drops have disappeared too. We could not be happier. GREAT job Tivo. Next time, please have a wider beta before you release new stuff to the public, I work in technology, so I understand S$% happens, but this should not have been that hard to spot with a better testing program ahead of time - it was not some super obscure combination to reproduce the issue.

But anyway, its all good now - thank you!!!
dfelska is offline   Reply With Quote