TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Higuchem

When did S3 allow dual show recording w/out cable cards

Sorry to ask this but when did S3 became able to record two shows at once w/out cable cards. Ever since I got my S3 it has been using cable cards and never tried it with out it. Until today as I move to a home.

I was told that without cable cards S3 would only be able to record one show at a time but I am looking at my S3 Tivo and seeing it record 2 shows at once with no cable cards in it.

Thanks
Higuchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
maharg18

Since day one.

With either no cable cards, or with 2 cable cards, it can record 2 shows

With only 1 cable card, it is reduced to a single tuner mode.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Only analog channels can record until the cards are in place
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo
Can't it also record OTA HD channels?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo
True, as far as cable is concerned, but it does a great job with OTA digital, including HD, using both tuners.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Probably a rhetorical question, but yes, it can record two OTA HD channels at once.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Yes, it is a BEAUTIFUL OTA DvR..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
bdlucas
Right side up again.

Quote:
Not only OTA, but also it can record unencrypted digital cable channels without cable cards. Typical cable systems transmit the local stations unencrypted.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
Higuchem

Strange, for sum reason I thought I read reviews when S3 cam out, one major difference between the newer S2 and s3 was that you had to have two cable cards to record two shows. This this shows how poorly I pay to attention and make sure I understand it. How embarrassing!!!
Higuchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
bdlucas
Right side up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higuchem
Strange, for sum reason I thought I read reviews when S3 cam out, one major difference between the newer S2 and s3 was that you had to have two cable cards to record two shows. This this shows how poorly I pay to attention and make sure I understand it. How embarrassing!!!
Probably what you read and misunderstood, or what your source meant to say, was that on the Series 3 with one cable card you can record only one show. To record two shows you need either no cable cards or two.

Since the TiVo HD can use M cards, which can handle two streams, on the TiVo HD you can record two shows with one cable card, if it's an M card.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #11
jfh3

Actually, with one CableCARD in an S3 you can still record 2 shows, as long as you don't have any encrypted channels.

I don't think this is well known or advertised and something I stumbled on when I tried recording two network shows in HD when I only had one card in the box. Don't know if it still works this way on 8.3.1

If you have encrypted channels, it's hit or miss as to which tuner gets the call, so that's probably why Tivo says you need two cards or the box works as a single tuner.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

guchem, don't feel bad. it took me by surprise when I noticed that my HD Tivo could record 2 shows at once with a *single* analog cable running into the unit! i always assumed that you would need either cablecards or (at the very least) an old-fashioned splitter to do such a thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Actually, with one CableCARD in an S3 you can still record 2 shows, as long as you don't have any encrypted channels.

I don't think this is well known or advertised and something I stumbled on when I tried recording two network shows in HD when I only had one card in the box. Don't know if it still works this way on 8.3.1

If you have encrypted channels, it's hit or miss as to which tuner gets the call, so that's probably why Tivo says you need two cards or the box works as a single tuner.
I had CC#2 go bad in one of my S3s a short time ago and I eventually pulled it from it's slot to avoid constant error messages. As you said the associated tuner could tune/record unencrypted channels but a couple of major headaches:
- Controlling which tuner is going to record which channel is very difficult
- I kept getting annoying messages about re-running Guided Setup now that I only have 1 CC. I reckon if I had done that then it would have reverted to a single tuner behavior

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote