TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Solver

Tivo Desktop 2.4 preview for the S3

http://tivo.com/4.9.4.1-2_win.asp

Preview exciting new features coming soon in the next TiVo desktop software release. Download TiVo Desktop 2.4 Preview Release—watch video downloaded from the web on your Series2™ box and dramatically enhance the clarity of your digital photos on your Series3™ box. Includes all the features of TiVo Desktop 2.3.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Yay! HD digital photos at last!

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
nhaigh

Why is the video stuff only for the S2? I'd planned on using this to watch HD Home Movies on my main TV which is an S3. What possible reason could there be for not allowing that!!!!
1 x TiVo S3 HD left
3 TiVo Premiers
Verizon FiOS - No Copy Protection :)
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaigh
Why is the video stuff only for the S2? I'd planned on using this to watch HD Home Movies on my main TV which is an S3. What possible reason could there be for not allowing that!!!!
Tivo doesn't have CableLABS approval yet maybe? I dunno.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Cool!

It's not just for the S3s though ... you can transfer internet content to S2 boxes as well. Time to play!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Well what they are doing for the S2 is transcoding certain formats to a Tivo mpeg2 format on the fly. To do it properly on the S3 it should not require any re-encoding of the video ideally since the S3 has native support (i.e. has the proper decoders already) for some of those formats. I didn't see mpeg2 transport streams as one of the supported formats which is a disappointment as that is the format most of my HD captures are in and I don't want to have to transcode to mpeg4.

I think to do it right for the S3 Tivo Desktop needs to support STREAMING of video files to S3 instead of copying/transcoding. After all that's what is done already for audio files is it not?

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
sobenski

No Mac version? Here we go again...
sobenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
tivotivotivo

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobenski
No Mac version? Here we go again...

Sometimes I feel apple should just do this themselves so I can dump tivo but after seeing the cable card "ease of use" (snark) and the upcoming SDV mess I know why they don't.

with tv changing so fast and HDTV coming on strong and taking up more bandwith

IMO we are looking at the end of tivo hardware one way or another within 3 years... either they go straight software or they run out of money....

I'm still buying a tivo HD but I fully expect to be using something else in three years..

and before anyone bags on me, I have owned a tivo since the beginning...
tivotivotivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
MikeMar
Go Pats

hmmm, have to get the desktop plus, i can transcode the few files i download myself.

oh well, 2.4 does nothing for me

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar
hmmm, have to get the desktop plus, i can transcode the few files i download myself.

oh well, 2.4 does nothing for me
Well, higher resolution photos is something...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
PhillyGuy

It wouldn't run on Windows Vista.
PhillyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy
It wouldn't run on Windows Vista.
The download page said it wouldn't. I guess it was right.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #13
hookbill
Feathered Member

Since I'm really new to TiVo Desktop can we now watch on our S3's the movie files they have listed or is this still for S2 only?

Also I notice we still can't access TiVoCast so I guess the new version desktop has nothing to do with that.

Still I have a video or two I'd like to try out. Can't do it until tomorrow. Think it will work?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #14
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

For those that want to see their digital photos in HD there are a few things that might not be obvious (especially to those who didn't read the README file .

1. You have to click on "Preview Photos 2.0 (With HD Support)" checkbox under SERVER > TIVO SERVER PROPERTIES

2. When you go to your TIVO under the MUSIC, PHOTOS & MORE menu option you should see 2 entries for viewing your photos. See this image...

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/musicphotosandmore.jpg

For example mine says "GEORGE'S PHOTOS on GC2005PC" There is now a 2nd entry that says the same thing but it has a photo icon next to it. That is the one you need to choose to see the photos in HD. It is interesting because it is a real HD menu screen obviously designed for HD unlike the other TIVO menus.

If you don't see the 2nd entry for your photos you might need to reboot your PC and then go into the MUSIC, PHOTOS menu on the TIVO.

Here are some sample photos of the interface for those interested (the photo quality isn't the best as I was in a rush, but you will get the idea)...

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd.jpg

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd2.jpg

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd3.jpg

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd4.jpg

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd5.jpg

Note that these interface screens in the new photo viewer appear to have been designed for HD, unlike the other TiVo Menus.

These are the photos you can view from Flickr...

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd_flickr.jpg

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd_flickr2.jpg

http://www.cifrancis.com/tivo/photos_hd_flickr3.jpg

Once again, the photos aren't the best and don't give the real deal justice.

If you have a HDTV, have a home network and take digital photos this is a nice way to view them. The quality is pretty decent, but I find the quality on my XBOX 360 when viewing photos in HD somewhat better. It might be because the XBOX 360 can show them in a higher resolution 1920x1080 (Tivo Desktop only shows them in 1280x720) I am not sure.

Last edited by George Cifranci : 02-21-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
synch22

digital hd photos is pretty nice. XBMC does that to music, great stuff.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
OC7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
For those that want to see their digital photos in HD there are a few things that might not be obvious (especially to those who didn't read the README file .

1. You have to click on "Preview Photos 2.0 (With HD Support)" checkbox under SERVER > TIVO SERVER PROPERTIES

2. When you go to your TIVO under the MUSIC, PHOTOS & MORE menu option you should see 2 entries for viewing your photos.

For example mine says "GEORGE'S PHOTOS on GC2005PC" There is now a 2nd entry that says the same thing but it has a photo icon next to it. That is the one you need to choose to see the photos in HD. It is interesting because it is a real HD menu screen obviously designed for HD unlike the other TIVO menus.

If you don't see the 2nd entry for your photos you might need to reboot your PC and then go into the MUSIC, PHOTOS menu on the TIVO.
To get the photos to work in HD, I also had to upgrade my Java Runtime Environment (see the Minimum System Requirements in the README file). This upgrade allowed the Photos 2.0 software to be installed on my computer.

Also, Tivo will require you to Enable your Home Network Applications (if you haven't already) before it will allow the HD photos to be displayed.
OC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #17
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Since I'm really new to TiVo Desktop can we now watch on our S3's the movie files they have listed or is this still for S2 only?

Also I notice we still can't access TiVoCast so I guess the new version desktop has nothing to do with that.

Still I have a video or two I'd like to try out. Can't do it until tomorrow. Think it will work?
I can't WAIT for the full tivocast where you can share your videos with friends!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 AM   #18
ah30k

I'd like to know if they fixed the bug where Desktop only works for one windows user. I could never get my wife's windows account to work. Based on some posts in that forum, it seemed like a limitation of the software.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
SugarBowl

is this release for the Amazon Unbox feature?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #20
hookbill
Feathered Member

I'm not seeing where we can see films on our computer yet. There is no folder for "view my Tivo Recordings". So I guess we still can't do that yet? I put a mpeg file in there but I can't find it anywhere on TiVo. I never had an S2 so maybe I don't know where to look?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #21
skitime

Man, I was really excited about the photos in higher def, till I saw it's only for WINDOWS! Where's the Mac version???
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #22
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:

Aw, crap so it doesn't work for the S3 for Videos? I agree that sucks. I've just wasted an hour trying to get it to work!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #23
Mike Farrington

I'm sick and tired of TiVo barely supporting the Mac!!!

AND I DON'T EVEN OWN A MAC!!!

I'm just sick of all the complaining about it (which I believe you Mac owners have every right to do!).
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #24
MikeMar
Go Pats

Doesn't Mac software for MAJORITY of things come out later than Windows stuff?

Hasn't that pretty much always been the case?

Let it go, you have a Mac, you get software later, it's part of the deal

Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #25
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Aw, crap so it doesn't work for the S3 for Videos? I agree that sucks. I've just wasted an hour trying to get it to work!
Thank you CABLELABS!!
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #26
MikeMar
Go Pats

So if you have a S2, and regular desktop, not plus, this does nothing for you then right?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #27
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
The quality is pretty decent, but I find the quality on my XBOX 360 when viewing photos in HD somewhat better. It might be because the XBOX 360 can show them in a higher resolution 1920x1080 (Tivo Desktop only shows them in 1280x720) I am not sure.
Really?! So we get HD, but they only did it in 720p? No 1080 support? You've got to be kidding me.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #28
hddude55

Mac owners like to be punished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
I'm sick and tired of TiVo barely supporting the Mac!!!

AND I DON'T EVEN OWN A MAC!!!

I'm just sick of all the complaining about it (which I believe you Mac owners have every right to do!).
I have owned three Macs over the years and worked at a university that was heavily Mac based, but even though I am a Mac fan I gave up on them about five years ago due to the fact so many software vendors were either ignoring or giving low priority to the Mac platform. I know the Mac crowd tends to be a lot like the TIVO crowd in terms of blind devotion, but I don't undertsand why Mac users continue to cry about this issue when it has been this way for years and likely will only get worse as Windoze continues to siphon off Mac users.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
tome9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55
I have owned three Macs over the years and worked at a university that was heavily Mac based, but even though I am a Mac fan I gave up on them about five years ago due to the fact so many software vendors were either ignoring or giving low priority to the Mac platform. I know the Mac crowd tends to be a lot like the TIVO crowd in terms of blind devotion, but I don't undertsand why Mac users continue to cry about this issue when it has been this way for years and likely will only get worse as Windoze continues to siphon off Mac users.

Because if owners don't let vendors know then the situation will never change. As Mac market share grows it is slowly becoming clearer to companies that they are (or will be) leaving a lot of money on the table by poorly supporting the Mac community.

-Tom
tome9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar
So if you have a S2, and regular desktop, not plus, this does nothing for you then right?
An S2 can't output HD.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote