Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
StriderWA

Audio out of sync problems on TivoHD

The scoop:

Comcast - Snohomish County, WA, 2 Motorola S-cards

When viewing recorded HD content, I'm getting audio sync problems (the video is a few seconds behind). This only seems to happen with HD content...

Has anyone else experienced audio sync issues like this? I didn't see a thread for this, just the squelching sound during any system beeps (which I still get)

I noticed this during 30 Rock, my THD is connected to my Vizio 37" LCD via HDMI...
StriderWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:19 AM   #2
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderWA
The scoop:

Comcast - Snohomish County, WA, 2 Motorola S-cards

When viewing recorded HD content, I'm getting audio sync problems (the video is a few seconds behind). This only seems to happen with HD content...

Has anyone else experienced audio sync issues like this? I didn't see a thread for this, just the squelching sound during any system beeps (which I still get)

I noticed this during 30 Rock, my THD is connected to my Vizio 37" LCD via HDMI...
Happened to us once or twice. Try rebooting both your TV and TiVo (unplug both for about 15 seconds; plug your TV and then TiVo back in). That will reintroduce the HDMI "handshake" between TiVo and your TV.

If that doesn't fix it try doing the same thing with a new HDMI cable...or temporarily run composite audio/video (RCA yellow and L/R out) from TiVo to your TV. If everything is good either way you may have a bad HDMI cable.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
ConfusedBob

I just had a similar problem last night watching HD channel on my new S3 over Verizon FioS. I have not tried restarting but will do if it happens again.
ConfusedBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
mauschein

I have audio sync problems as well. I have cablevision with SA cards. For me the problems seem to show up only on few channels (startzhd, and world cinema). I rebooted the system but I still get occasional recordings out of sync. I am fairly confident my cables are ok (since I swapped them and tried different connections) Since it does not happen with all the channels, my guess is that the source is either "bad" or "incompatible" with tivo...
mauschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
bkdtv

TNT-HD is known to be out of sync periodically, regardless of provider.

Since in your case, the problem is NBC-HD, you may want to tune the OTA channel (if you have an antenna) to confirm whether the problem is specific to your NBC feed. It is common for affiliates to fudge their audio sync while upgrading, replacing, or reconfiguring their broadcast equipment. Usually, affilates fix the problems within a few days as people call and complain.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
astrodonkey

I'm in Woodinville, just down the road from you. Every single show I've watched in HD has audio sync problems. I am using component video (no HDMI). It is really annoying, pisses me off to no end.
astrodonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
stormkeeper

audio sync issues

I also have a S3 with HDMI and my audio is also out of sync on my HD channels. This issue started AFTER the software upgrade. I've tried resetting both the TV and S3. Then just the S3.

Nothing will correct it. I know the HDMI cable is good, I've tried others. I'm thinking something with the software upgrade is causing it.
stormkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Peter000

Has anyone pinned down the syncing problems? They're showing up on my TiVo HD. Very irritating.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
bicker
Gruff

As others have mentioned, there is sometimes (often?) a source-bias to these issues. If you're having audio synch problems on every channel, then I'd look to your audio system and figure your cabling is part of the problem. Otherwise, figure that the problem is at the source, and you need an audio system that will provide you the ability to adjust audio synch on the fly. The TiVo, itself, is not likely the source of audio synch problems, and therefore there is nothing in the device to "adjust" audio synch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
rkemmer

Picture/Sound Sync. problem

Hi,

I have a new TIVO HD box which exhibits a picture/sound sync. problem on occasion.

I've only observed it during playback of previously recorded HD programs. It goes like this:

- At some point in the playback, the picture seems to stutter.
- Then there is a very noticable delay in the audio. You see lips move and then about a second later, you hear the word.
- Pressing the "instant Replay" button on the remote brings the picture and sound back into sync.

I can reproduce the problem by rewinding to before the point of difficulty and then letting it play. The same stutter and delay shows up at the same place in the recording. I've only done this once, but will try again the next time I get the problem.

I've called Tivo about this and they suggested re-booting the box. This didn't solve the problem as I still get the occasional problem.

I'll be getting back to them after I see if this occurs on either SD TV or live broadcasts. (Which, to date, I haven't observed.)

I'm using Scientific Atlanta cable cards with Comcast.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Additional Information:

I have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV and use HDMI for the feed from TIVO. My audio comes from the Optical output of the TV into a Pioneer tuner/amp.

Last edited by rkemmer : 11-07-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: To add additional information
rkemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
bktraveler

I am having issues with HD playback. I noticed it last night when I was watching a recording of Carpoolers. For the first 5 min of playback the sound is in sync with everyones lips. Then like others have noticed there is a little glitch with the audio and video that happens right before the sound/lips go out of sync. Then as the recording plays on the sync starts getting worse. I will mess around with it tonight and post my findings.

Comcast 2x Scards
Tivo HD
Toshiba 32" Regza
bktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
JohnBrowning

This is typically a source problem.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktraveler
I am having issues with HD playback. I noticed it last night when I was watching a recording of Carpoolers. For the first 5 min of playback the sound is in sync with everyones lips. Then like others have noticed there is a little glitch with the audio and video that happens right before the sound/lips go out of sync. Then as the recording plays on the sync starts getting worse. I will mess around with it tonight and post my findings.

Comcast 2x Scards
Tivo HD
Toshiba 32" Regza
I just started having this issue a few days ago. Same as others have indicated, a stutter, then the audio/video is out of sync... the video appears to continue to stutter. FF/RW or replay fixes temporarily.. until it happens again. Seems to happen on various channels, HD and SD.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
rkemmer

JohnBrowing states: "This is typically a source problem."

Can you expand on this and point to who/what may be at fault and suggest any way to fix it?

Thanks,

Dick
Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
ErictheHank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkemmer
Hi,
I have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV and use HDMI for the feed from TIVO. My audio comes from the Optical output of the TV into a Pioneer tuner/amp.
Are you sitting in my living room right now? I have the EXACT same setup including brands and methods of hookup. Unfortunately hitting instant replay does not resync the audio for me so I have a feeling that it is a source issue for me although I have no way of saying for sure.
ErictheHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #16
bkdtv

If you download the recording to your PC, do you see the A/V sync issue there? If so, that would confirm that it was a problem with the original broadcast (or the result of something your cable company did).
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #17
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
If you download the recording to your PC, do you see the A/V sync issue there? If so, that would confirm that it was a problem with the original broadcast (or the result of something your cable company did).
What if something on the Tivo took a fine broadcast and in the process of writing it to the disk or some potential processing (too ignorant here to provide specifics), introduced the errors/stuttering into the recording? Is that not possible for some reason?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
danorton

Problem only with HD TiVo, Only on One Channel

I'm seeing this on one channel only and only on HD programming on that channel.

The video lags the audio by about 500 msecs on KLRUDT, but works fine on other local HD channels with HD programming.

If I view the channel directly from my TV's antenna, the audio and video are fine.

This seems to be a bug with the way HD TiVo decodes certain audio streams.

(See attached diagram.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd_setup_home.jpg (15.5 KB, 73 views)
danorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
phanophish

I'm having the same issue on some HD channels, but not all.. Cox cable. My problem is most prominent on my HD feed of local ABC affiliate. HD series 3 Tivo, connected via HDMI to Television and via optical for audio to my Marantz receiver. Typically a 500-1000ms differential between audio and video. I also get occasional dropouts where audio goes away completely for about 3-5 seconds. Not on all channels and does seem to be worse on recorded programs rather than watching live.

Has anyone ever come up with a consistent solution or had Tivo confirm a bug?
phanophish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #20
rkemmer

Waiting for the problem

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that I haven't had the loss of sync. problem since my last post on 11/07.

Version 9.2a software downloaded yesterday. Still hoping the problem has gone away. Or better yet, been fixed...

Dick
Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
drjlb

I have a similar issue on my S3, but not quite the same. I have a video stutter and then pause, but the audio continues normally. After a couple of seconds, the video runs in what looks like fast forward until it syncs back up with the audio. If I rewind past the problem, it is always reproducible at the same spot. Comcast, SA CCs, Component connections, only in HD. Two things happened right before this began: 9.2 and my hooking up a my dvr expander. Can't believe it's the external HD. Anyone else got this flavor of the problem?
drjlb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #22
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlb View Post
I have a similar issue on my S3, but not quite the same. I have a video stutter and then pause, but the audio continues normally. After a couple of seconds, the video runs in what looks like fast forward until it syncs back up with the audio. If I rewind past the problem, it is always reproducible at the same spot. Comcast, SA CCs, Component connections, only in HD. Two things happened right before this began: 9.2 and my hooking up a my dvr expander. Can't believe it's the external HD. Anyone else got this flavor of the problem?
We (and several others on this thread) have seen the same thing. We were upgraded from 9.2.j to 9.2a last week and I don't believe I've seen it on any programs recorded since the latest upgrade...but I have seen it on programs recorded with the earlier software version. So there may be a distinction between what TiVo does with "older" recordings and what it is currently doing. YMMV
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
DaBuzz
Quiet TiVo vet

I saw this same problem last night while watching a recorded copy of WECWreckage from VS. HD. Rewinding and watching the content again fixed the problem for me so it's unclear to me how this can be a source issue when it can be fixed by rewinding and rewatching the content. If the source was the problem with the sync, wouldn't the issue reproduce each time the content was watched?

It's not just HD for me either, earlier today I was watching Fox News and the live feed started the stuttering video and the audio got out of sync by about 5 seconds. Pausing then pressing play again brought the audio back into sync (you could actually hear the audio running ~2x as fast as it caught up with the video). Again this doesn't seem to be a source issue to me since you're able to "fix" it via the Tivo controls.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #24
robrynders

Arrow Audio Sync Issues

I too have the picture stuttering/freezing/audio out of sync issue with the TivoHD. My software version is 9.2a. I am on Cox with SA cable cards. Pausing then restarting or changing the channel or going to the tivo menu then back seems to solve the problem until it does it again a couple minutes later. Happens on digital and HD channels. I thought creating a buffer by pausing the show for a minute might help, however, it just speeds up until the show is in real time and the picture stutters/freezes then goes back out of sync. It's like it knows it is messing with my mind!
robrynders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #25
bicker
Gruff

How is your TiVo hooked up to speakers? (Do you have an amp? or are you passing sound through to your television via HDMI? etc....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #26
vinman

ya im getting this same issue, on COX in Ariz. It happens all the time, im watching espn right now and it happens, goes like its in slowmo sound is out of sync, if you do rew and then ff it goes away but seems to happen again doesnt seem to matter what channel i try. Anyone have any ideas? i rebooted the box as well.

thx
Vinman
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #27
phxbofh

The Discovery channel on COX in AZ does this continuously to me. I noticed that my recorded shows on Discovery will exhibit the same problem. Last night I had to have COX hit my cards again as I lost a few channels. After 30 minutes the channels returned but COX is coming out Saturday to hopefully replace the cards with a M card. My Tivo is running 9.2a with no modifications with 2 SA cable cards.

Last edited by phxbofh : 11-23-2007 at 12:26 AM.
phxbofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #28
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbofh View Post
The Discovery channel on COX in AZ does this continuously to me. I noticed that my recorded shows on Discovery will exhibit the same problem. Last night I had to have COX hit my cards again as I lost a few channels. After 30 minutes the channels returned but COX is coming out Saturday to hopefully replace the cards with a M card. My Tivo is running 9.2a with no modifications with 2 SA cable cards.
I'm also Cox-Phoenix and experienced the issue during Dirty Jobs (Discovery)and also FoxNews. Seemed to happen frequently for a few days out of the blue but not really since then. Hitting the replay button seems to correct it UNLESS I do it too quickly in which case it will hit the spot where it began to get messed up and do it again.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #29
meridian

Having the same problem but with a different spin -- my HDTV is NOT HDMI but component and the audio is not digital either.

Had this happen for the first time watching UGLY BETTY last night. The fact that I could rewind and get the audio and video back in sync suggests strongly to me that this is neither a digital TV problem nor a source problem but in fact a TiVo problem (TiVo HD 9.2a, Time Warner cable with SA M-cable card in my case)
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #30
phxbofh

I called TiVo and their explanation was my amp and my cable cards are at fault. I called the installer who installed my cards and found out that a hand full of channels are having this issue with a variety of boxes. He had the firmware updates resent to my cards to see if it would help. So far nothing positive but knowing this issue is not isolated to just TiVos is good to know.
phxbofh is offline   Reply With Quote