TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #241
Icarus

You will uncheck the SDV channels in the channel list until they give you the tuning resolver, which might be available soon. They were saying the end of the year, now they are saying January. Who knows when it will really be available. If you read other threads in this forum, you know that the tuning resolver is out there and available. Now, it's just that OTW is being slow to roll it out.

If you tell Tivo to record Mythbusters on Discovery HD, that's what it will try to do. If you use a wishlist for Mythbusters, it will attempt to record it on any available channel. Since you unchecked Discovery HD, it will only find it on Discovery and record it there. Later when the tuning resolver is available, you can modify the wishlist or replace it with a season pass tied to the HD channel.

If Tivo has a choice of 2 channels for a show, Tivo will record from the lower numbered channel. In our case, that means you don't get the HD one automatically unless you use a season pass or specific channel recording or specify HD in the wishlist, which doesn't always give you the results you might expect. It's manageable, and you'll figure it out. Some people manage it by unchecking the SD version of the channel in the available channel list, so Tivo only sees that the show is available on the HD channel. (I do that with most of the analog broadcast channels.) I would say that if you ask 3 different people how they manage this, you will probably get 3 different answers. You will find the best method that works for you. It's all very manageable.

If you get a Tivo HD, you should get one multi-channel card, and in that case, you can avoid some of the duplicate service and other charges that those of that have S3s have to pay. The S3 needs two CCs. The HD and HD XL can use a single multi-channel card in place of 2 CCs with the same results. The amount they charge will vary depending on what other services you have. I pay $8 x2 (per CC) for duplicate service. Most people end up paying another $6.95 x1 or x2 for two CCs, for the HD package, which is charged per outlet. If it's not duplicate service, the charges are a little different. In that case, they charge you for your packages + a CC rental fee, I think.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 12-10-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #242
s2krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
If you get a Tivo HD, you should get one multi-channel card, and in that case, you can avoid some of the duplicate service and other charges that those of that have S3s have to pay. ....In that case, they charge you for your packages + a CC rental fee, I think.
-David
David,
Thanks for the detailed reply, it was far more than expected. I just called Oceanic and the rep I spoke with Nicole and she said I'll be replacing my 7.95 cable box rental with a single 3.10 rental for the cablecard. I specifically asked if there was a price difference for a multistream card and she said no. I am skeptical, but will take it at face value. She also said I'll need a one time $32 installation fee. It seems that dropping my phone line is costing me a lot more money than I had ever imagined....
Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #243
s2krazy

BTW, when I was scheduling my installation, I asked the rep about the tuning adapter and he knew exactly what I was talking about. When I asked if he had seen it, he said yes, it looks like a router with a simple 'cable in' and 'cable out' and a power adapter. His opinion was January deployment.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #244
s1_junkie

Well it looks like OTW were simply trying to jerk my chain.

I recieved a second call which I was here to answer, "would I like a STB?", "no thank you". Oh and, Showtime is not going away at all, Encore will go away "next week".

Sounds like Icarus got the same call as my first one; I dont know who plans this strategy, but the word clueless comes to mind.

(Icarus: I'm on the Big Island).

Off topic but since Icarus pointed it out: I tried Netflix streaming yesterday, works well: approx SD quality with no blocking or breakup of video. Bad news is (unlike Amazon) Netflix does not really use the TiVo UI: Netflix queue is not located in "now playing" but found by selecting Netflix; and play/pause etc. are Netflix graphics not TiVo. The good news is (unlike Amazon) there is a reasonable selection and the web site is great. And its free for first 2 weeks.
s1_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #245
dreamwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1_junkie View Post
Today I got a letter from OTW which said in part (the rest was fluff):
"To preorder a Tuning Adapter, please visit http://www.timewarnercable.com/tuningadapter or call 643-2337."

The link goes to an SDV page which says in part:
"For information on ordering a FREE Tuning Adapter, enter your ZIP Code", but it doesnt recognise Hawaii zip codes.
Oceanic now has an SDV page on their Televisions section of their web site.

That SDV page has a link to a form to add yourself to the Tuning Adapter waiting list!
dreamwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #246
Icarus

I lost 5 HD channels the other day, but I have no idea if it's SDV related or not. There's a few I've never gotten on my S3, like MaxHD, Disney HD, 1000.

These are the channels I lost: UHD, SCIHD, Animal Planet HD, TLCHD, and PLDHD.

All the channels come 1n on the OTW HD DVR in the living room.

Of course, they sent out a tech. The first thing she said is that cable cards are being phased out, so you know where that went. Her supervisor insisted that SDV is active here, but the people I spoke to in the office said it isn't active. When asked for the list of which channels are on SDV now, he pretty much started rattling off the entire list from the letters we've received. They are really clueless about all of this.

Just another day at OTW, I guess.

-David
Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #247
bueller555

I pulled the trigger and just ordered my Tivo HD from Amazon. I hope that I didn't make a mistake, but in researching this SDV issue, the major network channels will remain (Fox-1003, ABC-1006, etc.) The list of channels that won't be available to me can be found on this Oceanic page. Using this page, I unselected all and had it only display the channels "Not available on CableCARDs". The list is sizable, but with the exception of the HD Pack channels, I don't think that I'll really miss them. I'm looking forward to getting a Tivo and getting rid of the SA8300HD.
bueller555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #248
Icarus

The updated channel listing for Kahului is pretty accurate. I'm not getting most of the channels marked as SDV now. (Some of the lower numbered channels marked as SDV are still coming in ATM, but those are garbage channels .. shopping, etc.)

I'm not all that happy about some of the HD channels I lost, but it isn't yet that entire list they were talking about.

-David
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #249
bueller555

I scheduled a cable card install for my Tivo for next week and the Oceanic person said that I'll lose my surf pack discount because of my switch to cable card. I'm going to call again and see if this is true or if I can trade my dvr down to a stb and drop my HD pack, but still install the cable card. In theory, I still come out ahead even if I unplug and stuff the stb into a closet. If they insist that they can't do that then I'm switching my phone and Internet back to Hawn Telcom because there would be no pricing advantage by staying with Oceanic.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 AM   #250
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwish View Post
Oceanic now has an SDV page on their Televisions section of their web site.

That SDV page has a link to a form to add yourself to the Tuning Adapter waiting list!
thanks for posting the links to the oceanic TA page. I hope all the fellow Oceanic customers register on that site and keep posting any progress in this forum.
HawaiiTivoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #251
Icarus

Well, they added 1005, K5 HD. Is anybody with a cable card getting it? It's not an SDV channel according to their lineup, but I can't get it on my S3. (It shouldn't be SDV in any case, because it's a broadcast channel.)

I've also lost channels like 85, 87, etc on my S3, which are also not listed as SDV channels. I guess if I want to watch/record something on K5, I will have to record it from analog channel 5 now on the S3.

All of them come in fine on the crappy OTW HD DVR in the living room, of course.

They added several new HD cable channels, including Scifi-HD, all SDV.

I'm going to try a restart.

-David
Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #252
Todd B.

1005, 85, and 87 all work fine for me on my Tivo HD. I am on Oahu, though.

I'm going to follow up with my Oceanic contact next week, since it's been a couple months since I talked to him, and still no Tuning Adapter. Although the preorder form is nice, maybe he'll be able to give me a better idea how far down the pipeline the process is.
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #253
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
I'm going to follow up with my Oceanic contact next week, since it's been a couple months since I talked to him, and still no Tuning Adapter. Although the preorder form is nice, maybe he'll be able to give me a better idea how far down the pipeline the process is.
please keep us informed on any news and/or info you get
aloha
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #254
Todd B.

Talked to the Oceanic guy. He said they are working out some of the final details. It's close, but not quite there yet. He knows that it's taking a little longer than we'd like, but he said they really are getting close now.

He did confirm that they're going to require a truck roll to install.

And I'd recommend that if you haven't already signed up on the pre-order form that you should go ahead and do that.

http://www.oceanic.com/OceanicWebApp...n/SDV/sdv.html
Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #255
lrhorer

Quote:
That is precisely what several people from TWC told me when I inquired about the TA, but when they actually deployed them this monday, we were told to pick them up ourselves at one of two different TWC offices. I picked up 3 and installed them. There was a city-wide problem on 2 channels, whihc was fixed on Tuesday, and since then we've been golden. OF course this does not mean Oceanic will follow suit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Installation and activation of the TA is simple.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #256
ciper

From my understanding of the cable system the TA can be pre-authorized on the network just like a cable modem or cable box so there is no reason a tech needs to be onsite.

Are they going to be charging for these truck rolls?
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #257
Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That is precisely what several people from TWC told me when I inquired about the TA
I'm not sure who you talked to in your location, but if it was CSR-level type people, then it's not surprising that they might have been mis-informed. If you didn't see my earlier post, this guy I'm talking to is the actual guy who is doing all the technical work to test and deploy the TA's, so I'm assuming he's a little more in the loop as to how they're going to deploy. Obviously, I would love it if they did self-install. Maybe they'll be doing truck rolls for the first batch, and then change to self-install once they've gotten all the bugs worked out and realize they don't need to truck roll it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
Are they going to be charging for these truck rolls?
Unfortunately, I did not ask about that. I guess I assumed that since the TA is free, there wouldn't be any charge for the truck roll, but that's a baseless assumption, especially with Oceanic.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #258
HawaiiTivoLover

Wow, it feels like were getting closer to actually having a functioning S3/HDTivo again in Hawaii. so happy
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #259
clark_kent

So, our analog to digital cutover has come and gone, and all is well in the O$eanic land of Paradi$e.

But, wait a minute, I had though that the point of going to all digital was to free up all that analog bandwidth so we can have more digital, and in particular, more HD cable channels. You know, more PPV, more OD/iND, more Pizza ordering, more Info, more Shopping, more Answers OD, etc, etc.

I also thought that post "Analog Cutoff" would result in Oceanic's lineup having NO analog (frequency) channels at all, and all former analog channels would only be carried on digital (QAM frequency) channels.

Well, it looks like the old analog channels are all still there, on analog frequencies.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Oceanic would still continue to carry all the old analog channels on analog frequencies?

I wonder if Comcast and the other Time Warner markets are going to be doing the same thing when they cut over?
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #260
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
So, our analog to digital cutover has come and gone, and all is well in the O$eanic land of Paradi$e.

But, wait a minute, I had though that the point of going to all digital was to free up all that analog bandwidth so we can have more digital, and in particular, more HD cable channels. You know, more PPV, more OD/iND, more Pizza ordering, more Info, more Shopping, more Answers OD, etc, etc.

I also thought that post "Analog Cutoff" would result in Oceanic's lineup having NO analog (frequency) channels at all, and all former analog channels would only be carried on digital (QAM frequency) channels.

Well, it looks like the old analog channels are all still there, on analog frequencies.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why Oceanic would still continue to carry all the old analog channels on analog frequencies?

I wonder if Comcast and the other Time Warner markets are going to be doing the same thing when they cut over?
Cable co's have to continue to carry analog cable until 2012.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #261
spleen93

Quote:
Talked to the Oceanic guy. He said they are working out some of the final details. It's close, but not quite there yet. He knows that it's taking a little longer than we'd like, but he said they really are getting close now.

Good to know - glad to hear that we're getting closer to getting the TA.
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #262
s2krazy

Quote:

And I'd recommend that if you haven't already signed up on the pre-order form that you should go ahead and do that.

http://www.oceanic.com/OceanicWebApp...n/SDV/sdv.html
I tried this site the first time it was posted, and the mail came back 'undeliverable' However, this time it took and I got a confirmation e-mail. I have my fingers crossed we'll get it soon!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #263
s2krazy

Spoke to a rep, she said they are staggering the mailings of the letters. They started sending them (the letters) out on Jan 5th to those on the list. She said its an over the counter pick up.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #264
bueller555

Too bad we can't do an over-the-counter pickup of cablecards too.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #265
rover1

e-mail letters or snail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
Spoke to a rep, she said they are staggering the mailings of the letters. They started sending them (the letters) out on Jan 5th to those on the list. She said its an over the counter pick up.
Just curious what the "letters" say. Does anyone know? A store pick-up would be awesome.
rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #266
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Tuning Adapter Install

I received a letter from Oceanic saying my pre-ordered tuning adapter is available, to call and schedule an install. The letter also said the Tuning Adapter (TA) is free. Friday (1/30/09) a tech will be coming by to do the install. Hopefully all goes well...
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #267
Ninja

I got the same letter today. I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't dreaming it.
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #268
bueller555

Article by Erika Engle in today's Star Bulletin: Oceanic and parent facing hefty fines
Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #269
Todd B.

My truck roll is scheduled for Feb. 4 install of TA.

I recommend that you call and schedule yours ASAP. My Oceanic contact indicated to me last week that they had a limited number of TA's on island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2krazy View Post
I'm not sure what she's talking about. Nothing I've heard at all corroborates any of that.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #270
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post
Article by Erika Engle in today's Star Bulletin: Oceanic and parent facing hefty fines
Whoever the reporter is needs to learn something about finance. She calls $97,000 a "hefty fine". TWC pulls in that much revenue in less than an hour - about 50 minutes, actually. It's loose change.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote