Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #211
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTivoLover View Post
Would you guys mind posting the letter.
Thanks
here....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TW1.jpg (54.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg TW2.jpg (57.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg TW3.jpg (36.5 KB, 33 views)
s1_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #212
docnaks

S3 and SDV question

I recently purchased a new home in Honolulu and I'm getting ready to call Oceanic to set up new cable service. I already have an S3 and S2DT. Up until now, I have only used the S3 without CCs (long story). I am wondering if I should even set up CC service since the SDV tuning adapter is in limbo (with availability possibly at the end of this year? it's already October). Most of the TV I watch and record is network TV (FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC). My questions:
1) In Hawaii, can we receive clear QAM signals through Oceanic?
2) If we can, I was thinking of this set up (I will have 2 HD capable TVs)
-TV 1 (Pioneer Elite): w/ S3 (HD through clear QAM, no cable cards), Oceanic HD box (w/ no DVR)
-TV 2 (LCD): w/ S2DT, Oceanic HD box (w/ no DVR)
That way, I can watch, but not record, the SDV channels, and record the HD channels that I do watch.

Are there any other suggestions? Or should I get the CCs and hope that the tuning adapter comes out?
docnaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #213
Icarus

The HD versions of the network channels will not be SDV. Also HBOHD and SHOHD will not be SDV. I have no idea if we're supposed to be getting MAXHD or not, because it doesn't come in on my CC-enabled S3. It's the rest of the HD cable network channels that are going SDV. (ESPNHD, History HD, HDNET, TBSHD, etc).

I have no idea about your QAM questions, but it seems to me that the CCs would work for you based on what you said, and eventually we'll get the tuning adapters for the rest of the lineup that's going to SDV.

Will they still "sell" you the CCs? There were some earlier reports about people not being able to get them.

---------------

Meanwhile, I've been converting my HD-based season passes to wishlists, so I can just remove the HD category from the wishlist when they turn on SDV, and tivo will switch to the lower numbered channel to record the program.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 10-01-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 AM   #214
clark_kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnaks View Post
I recently purchased a new home in Honolulu and I'm getting ready to call Oceanic to set up new cable service. I already have an S3 and S2DT. Up until now, I have only used the S3 without CCs (long story). I am wondering if I should even set up CC service since the SDV tuning adapter is in limbo (with availability possibly at the end of this year? it's already October). Most of the TV I watch and record is network TV (FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC). My questions:
1) In Hawaii, can we receive clear QAM signals through Oceanic?
2) If we can, I was thinking of this set up (I will have 2 HD capable TVs)
-TV 1 (Pioneer Elite): w/ S3 (HD through clear QAM, no cable cards), Oceanic HD box (w/ no DVR)
-TV 2 (LCD): w/ S2DT, Oceanic HD box (w/ no DVR)
That way, I can watch, but not record, the SDV channels, and record the HD channels that I do watch.

Are there any other suggestions? Or should I get the CCs and hope that the tuning adapter comes out?
The networks you listed are "in-the-clear" and you can record them in HD on the S3 w/out CC's. But, you will need to set up "manual" recordings since there will be no guide data from TiVo. Setting up manual recordings is no big deal, but it gets worst. "Manual" is not like "season pass" so "manual" will not follow any change to scheduling, and when you go to look for a manually recoded program, the "title" of the program will not be listed. ALL manual recordings are ALL titled "manual" so you need to keep a paper list of manual recordings as to date/time/channel/program name to find and play a manual recorded program. It would be nice if TiVo allowed for manual QAM mapping and for you to get guide data based on that, but it does not work like that.

You probably should try getting CC's, since "manual" QAM recording is a pain, however, Oceanic is probably the most aggressive ANTI-CC cable operator on the planet, and they are not fond of TiVo either.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #215
Loki

I'm in a similar situation, just moved into Honolulu a couple months ago. Have you tried plugging in a set top UHF antenna yet? I get all the majors in hi-def with solid signal in Pacific Heights. It's worked out so well I'm debating if I even want to go with the cc and tuning resolver once its available. Not paying a monthly bill for TV has been refreshing since I moved.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #216
mauigirl

Don't pay for HD

I use the cablecards in my series 3 but DON'T PAY for the HD programming. I get the four networks in HD, plus PBS and TNT for free and most of what I Tivo is on the nets (aside from Eureka and Mad Men).

They continue to call and try to explain to me why I should turn in my cablecards for a free box. I've told them until they give me the tuning resolver, they'll not get my money for HD programing. I would rather have a working Tivo than their crappy DVR. And my cable bill went from over $100 to $75. I'm even thinking of going to DSL instead of the cable modem just because I don't want to give them any of my money.

And Oceanic is anti-Cablecard. I had to demand that they send an installer out with two cards. The CSR continued to say that they would not work and that I needed two cable boxes. I told her the FCC mandated that they provide cable cards. She said, "we don't have to provide cablecards that work."

Last edited by mauigirl : 10-02-2008 at 02:03 PM.
mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #217
docnaks

Thank for the tips, especially the one from mauigirl. I didn't realize you could get the CCs without the HD package, and still get the major networks on HD. I'll probably set it up that way at first, and add the HD package once (if ever) the tuning resolver is available.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:57 AM   #218
clark_kent

Quote:
Thank for the tips, especially the one from mauigirl. I didn't realize you could get the CCs without the HD package, and still get the major networks on HD. I'll probably set it up that way at first, and add the HD package once (if ever) the tuning resolver is available.
Could you keep us posted on your progress on acquiring CC's from Oceanic and not getting forced into paying for the HD package.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #219
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I'm in a similar situation, just moved into Honolulu a couple months ago. Have you tried plugging in a set top UHF antenna yet? I get all the majors in hi-def with solid signal in Pacific Heights. It's worked out so well I'm debating if I even want to go with the cc and tuning resolver once its available. Not paying a monthly bill for TV has been refreshing since I moved.
you are the lucky exception on Oahu to get the local stations over the air. due to topography most people (including myself in st louis hghts) get nothing.
Lets all hope the tuning resolver is released soon.
HawaiiTivoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #220
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1_junkie View Post
here....
Thanks for posting S1_junkie.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #221
rv65

Quote:
you are the lucky exception on Oahu to get the local stations over the air. due to topography most people (including myself in st louis hghts) get nothing.
Lets all hope the tuning resolver is released soon.
Comcast says they will get some in by next week for their SDV deployments in the mainland. Comcast has only a handful of SDV areas. The tuning resolver can be installed without the need of a truckroll. It does require you to run guided setup again but thats no big deal. Guided setup is super easy. Time Warner may get some later though. No word on Oceanic.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #222
kiko

I finally got a call back from a non CSR, Oceanic is hoping to have the tuning adapter before the end of the year, but it WILL require a truck roll. I asked why a truck roll would be required and the answer is "that's what we have been told to tell customers."
kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #223
rv65

Yet Comcast says it can be installed at home. The good news is that the device will be free.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #224
spleen93

Here's hoping that the tuning adaptor comes out sooner rather than later ... I love my S3 Tivo but getting tired of getting gyped of all of the HD channels that are out there that are on SDV. (sigh) Oceanic sucks ... I'd trade all of the Pizza Hut order-from-my-cable-box type channels for non SDV HD channels.
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #225
HawaiiTivoLover

heres an interesting, related thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=hawaii
Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #226
Todd B.

So, I have some good(-ish) news about Oceanic. In summary, the Tuning Adapters are being worked on here in Hawaii, and will be made available.

I had an old technical contact at Oceanic that I spoke to a long time ago, since Oahu was an early and aggressive SDV adopter. Fortunately, he was still there, and he has been working on the Tuning Adapters. He said they have devices on Oahu for testing purposes. They had some software issues initially that they had to fix, but they've gotten them working. So far it's only been lab testing, but they are continuing to test so they can roll it out as soon as they can. They also need to work on instituting the procedures on the customer service side, i.e. integrating it into the customer service flow, hardware tracking, deployment, etc.

Obviously, he couldn't give me any dates, but it's good to know there's been tangible progress here, and it sounds like it should be coming reasonably soon. If there hasn't been any word in a month or so, I might try calling him again for a status.

There is a Tuning Adapter waiting list that you can sign up for. Just call Customer Service at 643-2100 and explain that you're a TiVo CableCard customer and would like to be put on the waiting list for the Tuning Adapters.
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #227
docnaks

S3 and SDV update

Called Oceanic 2 weeks ago to set up installation for 2 CC's. Scheduled for 11/4. The sales rep was very nice, even called me to confirm the installation date and time. No hassles, no sales pitch for the crappy SA DVR. I have a customer who is a CSR for Oceanic, and he confirmed that the tuning adapter is a work in progress, but will be available soon. In fact, he told me he's waiting for it to come out so he can buy a TiVo!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #228
spleen93

Some of the best Tivo related news I've gotten in a while ... thanks guys!
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #229
s1_junkie

Quote:
heres an interesting, related thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=hawaii
indeed, thank you.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #230
Icarus

I wonder if that's why they haven't turned it on yet in my area? I don't mind. 2 letters and 2 deadlines passed so far.

I think at one point I didn't think complaining to the FCC would work, but I was certainly wrong about that.

-David
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #231
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
.....There is a Tuning Adapter waiting list that you can sign up for. Just call Customer Service at 643-2100 and explain that you're a TiVo CableCard customer and would like to be put on the waiting list for the Tuning Adapters.
I tried, the CSR ('Misty') was very nice but told me there was no such list, and that OTW would be sending letters to Tivo CC customers when the TAs were availaible.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #232
docnaks

Just had the CC's installed today. Unfortunately, I had to work, which meant my wife had to be there for the inevitable truck roll. When I got home to test the new set up...all I had was the set up screen! Something about acquiring channel or program information. The S3 couldn't even get a signal from the CCs. Took a closer look...the idiot hooked up the cable to their set-top box, then hooked the cable out to the S3 cable in. I took the TW box out of the loop and voila! HDTV! in all it's SDV glory!
One more update (I can't remember who asked), I did not get "forced" into purchasing the HD package for each CC. It was only offered.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #233
Icarus

Quote:
Took a closer look...the idiot hooked up the cable to their set-top box, then hooked the cable out to the S3 cable in.

Quote:
One more update (I can't remember who asked), I did not get "forced" into purchasing the HD package for each CC. It was only offered.
What? Do you have to pay the duplicate programming fee + HD package for each CC like the rest of us? Wait till you actually see your first bill. (You have an S3, so you needed two CCs, right?)

There's still 2 or 3 HD channels I'm not getting. MAXHD, and a couple of other non-subscription HD channels don't come in on my CCs. Of course, everything comes in on their ridiculous HD-DVR in the living room (which I never use.)

-David
Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #234
s1_junkie

Today I got a letter from OTW which said in part (the rest was fluff):
"To preorder a Tuning Adapter, please visit http://www.timewarnercable.com/tuningadapter or call 643-2337."

The link goes to an SDV page which says in part:
"For information on ordering a FREE Tuning Adapter, enter your ZIP Code", but it doesnt recognise Hawaii zip codes.

I called, the CSR knew nothing of the letter or pre-ordering TAs; but said he would escalate and OTW will call me........
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #235
s1_junkie

TWC called today (it only took a month), and left a message.

Apparently I am going to loose my premium channels (Encore & Showtime)
today!

TA will be available "next month".
Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #236
Icarus

I didn't think they were moving the premium channels to SDV?

If/when they enable SDV, I expect to lose ESPNHD, TBSDH, NGCHD, HDNET, etc. But not HBOHD and SHOHD and the broadcast HDs. (and then there's the 4 or 5 that I've never gotten on my S3, like MGMHD, MAXHD, DISNHD, TRAVHD, etc.)

Let us know what the result is please. If you can't get the premium channels, are they still going to charge you for them? (netflix is live.)

-David
Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #237
Icarus

Take a look at this page:

http://www.oceanic.com/OceanicWebApp...elevision.html

Quote:
In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:

On or about January 15, 2009 we will add KFVE to our digital lineup on Channel 1005. We also plan to add Major League Baseball Channel, Chiller, Sci Fi HD and CNBC HD by January 31, 2009.

The new services listed below cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional, two-way capable equipment: Major League Baseball Channel, Chiller, Sci Fi HD and CNBC HD.
-David
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #238
Icarus

I just looked at the channel lineup, yeah Starz and Encore are going to SDV, but not Showtime (standard or hi-def) and MaxHD and TMCHD are going SDV according to the lineup for Kahului.

Let us know if the call was real or not, s1. Which island are you on?

-David
Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #239
Icarus

s1 .. they called me today too saying that I would lose the SDV channels today. Offered the "free" DVR again, said "no" again.

I still don't believe them. No change yet. Still no credibility. They really want us to stop using our Tivos I guess.

-David
Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #240
s2krazy

I have another thread on the reasons why (see:http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=1#post6906669) but I'm thinking of ordering a refurbished Tivo HD. I'm on Oahu and so I'm guessing hat I'll have to call Oceanic to schedule the installation of cable cards? Are you charged per card? How does this affect your bill?

Also, what does the Tivo do if (for example) I tell it to record Mythbusters on Discovery HD but this channel is on SDV? Does it automatically choose the regular SD channel?