TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #181
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
II really hope that the tuning resolver will be available soon.
-David
My understanding is Q2, so 3months. Of course, maybe I dont understand
s1_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #182
HawaiiTivoLover

Aloha,
was wondering if there has been anyone on this forum that successfully installed after market CC's on their S3?
Been forced to use my TWC SA HD DVR and besides picture quality Sucks!
My S3 is mostly collecting dust waiting for the tuning resolver.
HawaiiTivoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #183
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTivoLover View Post
Been forced to use my TWC SA HD DVR and besides picture quality Sucks!
My S3 is mostly collecting dust waiting for the tuning resolver.
Can you describe how your PQ sucks? I've also been forced to use their POS DVR, but I don't have a problem with picture quality. I just hate the interface and the consistency of response. For example, when I'm watching live TV and want to pause, it's a crapshoot as to whether the image will pause or the channel will freeze. I've given up trying to use the rewind button unless I pause first, because it's almost guaranteed to freeze the channel. And this is my second DVR from OTW -- I returned the first one because it wouldn't record scheduled recordings for about 10% of my shows. At least this one records the shows I schedule, so I can live with the other stuff. But I digress... Anyway, I'm curious as to what PQ problems you're having. Maybe you need to return the DVR for another one?
GiantsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #184
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan24 View Post
Can you describe how your PQ sucks? I've also been forced to use their POS DVR, but I don't have a problem with picture quality. I just hate the interface and the consistency of response. For example, when I'm watching live TV and want to pause, it's a crapshoot as to whether the image will pause or the channel will freeze. I've given up trying to use the rewind button unless I pause first, because it's almost guaranteed to freeze the channel. And this is my second DVR from OTW -- I returned the first one because it wouldn't record scheduled recordings for about 10% of my shows. At least this one records the shows I schedule, so I can live with the other stuff. But I digress... Anyway, I'm curious as to what PQ problems you're having. Maybe you need to return the DVR for another one?
I actually meant that everything BUT the picture quality sucks, you listed a few of my issues with the twc dvr. When my S3 still had HD channels some of the channels especially NBC HD would pixelate pretty bad. But I would trade back in a heartbeat as not a day goes by that my DVR does something to piss me off.
Aloha
Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #185
is2scooby

*Bump* in the hopes that someone has some good news. I *HATE* my TW DVR, and the fact that my beloved Tivo Series 3 is sitting in my entertainment center just collecting dust.

I am even considering purchasing a non-HD Tivo because the user interface and overall experience are missed so much.

But then why the heck did I buy a plasma TV and pay for HD service every month for? Grrr...
Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #186
jill808

cable cards

we just moved into a new building downtown and there were some Oceanic reps at the place where we picked up our keys and stuff. i asked him about cable cards and whether they had any multistream cards available. he said they don't have that yet.

this totally confused me because i've been reading this thread and several users have mentioned having multistream cable cards. so, do they exist or don't they?

and, if i call and have them installed, do i lose any channels or can i still get analog stations as well as digital?
jill808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #187
Icarus

The average rep doesn't know much about cable cards. Call and talk to somebody. They should transfer you to somebody that knows what they are.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #188
GiantsFan24

I agree, you should call OTW and find out if they have multistream cards. The rep you talked to may have thought you were talking about multi-directional cards (I just made that name up -- don't flame me), aka the Tuning Resolver. The tuning resolver has been in the industry news lately, but is not yet available, so maybe that's what he thought you were asking about.

As for whether you will lose any channels, it depends on what you have now. But the likely answer is yes. Until the tuning resolver is available, Tivos with cablecards cannot receive any switched digital video (SDV) channels. This includes most of the HD channels (except local channels and movie subscription channels like HBO/Showtime), as well as dozens of non-HD channels. OTW's website has a list of channels that cannot be received via cablecard. The list differs by island; Oahu's list is at http://www.oceanic.com/OceanicWebApp.../DCL_Oahu.html
Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #189
Drogo4

Summing it up for May 2008

7 pages of a lot of reading here, I would like to sum it up.

HD Tivo Users are still missing out on dozens of Channels as of May 27, 2008.
I did however recieve a letter from Tivo saying they are working on a solution by the end of the year.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #190
jesseramos

OTW does have Multi-Stream cards. I have one in my TivoHD here on Oahu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill808 View Post
we just moved into a new building downtown and there were some Oceanic reps at the place where we picked up our keys and stuff. i asked him about cable cards and whether they had any multistream cards available. he said they don't have that yet.

this totally confused me because i've been reading this thread and several users have mentioned having multistream cable cards. so, do they exist or don't they?

and, if i call and have them installed, do i lose any channels or can i still get analog stations as well as digital?

jesseramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #191
Drogo4

More News

I called Time Warners corporate office and complained about them violationg the Telecommunications Act of 1996 by now allowing "equal access" to cable card customers, got 2 years free with their crappy DVR and they promised me they were working on a solution. I asked for that promise in writing.

Further, I recieved my bill today May 28th and noticed about $50 dollars worth of errors. I spoke with Jason (id 2050) the Manager at Oceanic Time Warner and he was surprised that I got the 2 years free as well as the many mistakes on my bill.

He did make mention, that Time Warner was working on a solution that will be out by the end of the year. He also said that the OTW legal team will be contacting me tomorrow. I will have them put that in writing as well.

So I think this is first time confrimation from Time Warner about working on a full solution for Tivo users.

FYI , did you know its actually cheaper to have Tivo than use their crappy DVR's? You get charged 9.95 for the DVR and another 7.52 for having a box (any box). Jason openly admited that I was getting charged twice for the same device. (smirk i smell class action... any one know a good lawyer?). I only get charged 9.95 monthly for Tivo service since I signed up so early.

Also if you call Tivo and let them know the situation, they will "freeze" your service for six months and let you keep your contract.

BTW i don't live in Poughkeepsie NY anymore i live in HNL.

~peace
Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #192
s1_junkie

Tuning adapter demo versions are appearing:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...e_Details.html

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-05/...-in-the-flesh/

I assume here in Hawaii we will need the Cisco (ex Scientific Atlanta) TA:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/19...apter-sta1520/

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/18...dapter-mtr700/

Could happen.....
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #193
HiKent

What channels to you receive?

Hi,

Last week Oceanic replaced the cablecards in my S3 -- I think I was chasing down a bug in 9.3a. On one of the cablecards (an M-Card), I don't get ESPNHD 1222. I still get DHD, TNT, HBO, as well as broadcast. When I called to complain, they told me I was lucky to get anything HD and referred me to the web site where it says cablecards aren't supported. The other cablecard (an S-Card) receives ESPN.

What does everyone else get? And who can I complain to if I'm supposed to be able to get ESPN? (The field supervisor told me I was out of luck.)

BTW: The supervisor had never heard of a "Tuning Adapter".
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #194
Icarus

On Maui, I'm still getting everything. There was a short period (if you look back in this thread) where I wasn't getting some of the new channels, but they did some sort of system upgrade one night, and after that I started getting everything again. I'm not getting the new channel 1000, but that's not a big deal to me.

I spoke to a supervisor on Maui when I didn't start getting the new channels, and he also had no idea what the tuning resolver was.

-David
Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #195
s1_junkie

1) FYI, in Kona with a cable card the HD we get is : local broadcast + show + hbo + HDT + TNTHD. No other HD channels are available with CC, OTW will not sell the HD Entertainment Pak to CC users.

2) Some time in the last few days all the SD Encore channels except the base Encore (667 -> 672) channel went dark. A quick trip to the web site shows these are now 'not with CC'. Grrr.. This morning I tried to call TWC legal in NYC (see my post #154 in this thread) that number 1 866 774 9098 is now the "TWC Cable Card Escalations Desk" - I left a message.....

But I thought you all might find that a "TWC Cable Card Escalations Desk" - 1 866 774 9098 - belongs on your speed dial.

3) I notice Cox will be providing Tuning Adapters free of charge but they dont say when, http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/r...dditional-Cost . I wonder about OTW....
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #196
GiantsFan24

Quote:
3) I notice Cox will be providing Tuning Adapters free of charge but they dont say when, http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/r...dditional-Cost . I wonder about OTW....
In a letter to customers, a mainland TWC franchise wrote "We expect to be able to offer Tuning Adapters to customers with compatible UDCP's later this year. At that time we will provide you with additional information on availability and device compatibility. It is currently contemplated that the Tuning Adapter will be provided at no additional charge. In the meantime until the Tuning Adapter becomes available, a Time Warner Cable digital cable set-top box will be required to view channels migrated to SDV. In addition, certain non-TiVo UDCP models may not work with the Tuning Adapter." (This is in the SDV FAQ thread.)

AFAIK, franchises are able to set their own pricing, so there's no guarantee that OTW will offer it for free, but I vaguely remember getting a similar letter from OTW a month or so ago. So it's at least encouraging, though not an iron-clad guarantee.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #197
HiKent

UHD Un-switched for Olympics

Finally, something nice to say about TWC Hawaii. They seem to have moved UHD to un-switched, just in time for the olympics. If I remember correctly, we got UHD (and KHNL-HD) just in time for the winter olympics 2.5 years ago.

Time to update those channel lists...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #198
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Hi Kent - I tried but I wasn't able to receive UHD. I'll try again on 8/8/08.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:25 AM   #199
HiKent

Did you try UHD on 1605? That's the one that works for me. The UHD they added for the olympics (266) doesn't work -- nor do any of the other Olympic channels. If I remember correctly from the last olympics, TWC added copies of the NBC olympic channels in an unused block so you could surf easily. These may not be activated yet...

I'd be curious if you get 1605.

Kent
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #200
s1_junkie

I got a letter dated 7/29 from TWC announcing SDV starting on 9/2 (at first I thought the letter must have been delayed in the mail for a year but no the date is 2008). Attached was an unavailiable channel list, in numerical order this stops at 1321. Did any body else get this letter, am I missing a page?

The channel listing on the web for Kona now shows HD channels as available, which is just wierd.

Also letter says expect to offer Tuning Adapter "later this year", "contemplated... at no additional charge". Nice to actually see that on TWC letterhead.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #201
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1_junkie View Post
I got a letter dated 7/29 from TWC announcing SDV starting on 9/2 (at first I thought the letter must have been delayed in the mail for a year but no the date is 2008). Attached was an unavailiable channel list, in numerical order this stops at 1321. Did any body else get this letter, am I missing a page?

The channel listing on the web for Kona now shows HD channels as available, which is just wierd.

Also letter says expect to offer Tuning Adapter "later this year", "contemplated... at no additional charge". Nice to actually see that on TWC letterhead.
great to have some hope we'll be using our S3's to watch HD again someday. any chance of posting a copy of that letter? thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #202
s1_junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiTivoLover View Post
any chance of posting a copy of that letter? thanks.
Attached the 3 pages from OTW, only change is I have redacted my personal info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (44.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (48.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (58.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #203
Icarus

Maui SDV cutover is September 2

I got the letter about the cutover to SDV on Maui. Effective date is Sept 2. (I guess maybe that's the Kahului/Hana lineup, since there's now a separate lineup listed for Lahaina/Molokai/Lanai. Not sure about the rest of the county. I live upcountry in Makawao.)

The letter at least mentioned the tuning resolver (they hope to have it available at the end of the year and they currently think there will be no extra charge for them.)

I'll see if I can post the letter somewhere when I get back home. The channel lineup isn't consistent with the letter. The channel list may have been truncated. (At least that's what I suspect based on everybody elses experience and the text in the rest of the letter.)

Did anybody notice all the other HD channels added for the olympics? It's already the 8th here where I am, and I left several olympics HD wishlists set up for while I'm away. I hope they record properly on those lower numbered HD olympics channels.

-David
Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 AM   #204
Icarus

Quote:

I should have read your post first.

Yes, that's the same letter I got, only I don't have SDV yet on Maui, like you do on the Big Island. I noticed the same thing about the channel list.

It's odd they sent it to you too.

-David
Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #205
HawaiiTivoLover

Quote:
Attached the 3 pages from OTW, only change is I have redacted my personal info.
thank you very much for posting those letters. should be some helpful ammo when OTWC Oahu tries to charge an arm and leg for the 2 Cable-Cards and tuning adapter when it comes out.
Has anyone on Oahu received any similar correspondence?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #206
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

No 1605

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
Did you try UHD on 1605? That's the one that works for me. The UHD they added for the olympics (266) doesn't work -- nor do any of the other Olympic channels. If I remember correctly from the last olympics, TWC added copies of the NBC olympic channels in an unused block so you could surf easily. These may not be activated yet...

I'd be curious if you get 1605.

Kent
Kent,
I can't receive channel 1605 or any of the other NBC olympic channels.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #207
s1_junkie

OTW busted (sort of):

"I. INTRODUCTION
1. In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture (“NAL”), we find that Oceanic Time Warner Cable (“Oceanic”), a subsidiary of Time Warner Cable, Inc. (collectively, “TWC”) apparently willfully violated Section 76.1603(c) of the Commission's Rules (“Rules”).1 Specifically, Oceanic failed to provide the requisite thirty (30) day advanced written notice to the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Cable Television Division, which serves as the local franchise authority (“LFA”) for the State of Hawaii, before implementing a service change caused by the migration of certain channels to its Switched Digital Video (“SDV”) platform on September 24, 2007. We conclude, pursuant to Section 503(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (“Act”),2 that Oceanic is apparently liable for a forfeiture in the amount of seven thousand five hundred dollars ($7,500)."

Read the full document here: http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...-08-1960A1.pdf

Obviously $7500 is trivial, but I assume this is a 'black mark' and OTW will presumably not want to collect these. Interesting to me is that OTW is not busted for changing service the CCard users, but for not telling the State regulator in advance of the changes. Also clause 13 talkes about possible fines for continuing violation.

Perhaps OTW will be nice to us now? I did get a phone message asking if I got the letter (see previous post), and I notice that the Encore channels that were due to go dark on Labor Day are still there. One can always hope.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #208
Icarus

Got a new letter today, since the September date came and went.

The new date here for me is Oct 21. The letter is similar to the previous one, except the channel list is complete this time.

-David
Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #209
s1_junkie

Yes, I got that letter too.

Somehow I am reminded of the movie Total Recall, the head bad guy at the Mars colony tries to changes the peoples behavior by turning off their air. Come the revolution.....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:51 AM   #210
HawaiiTivoLover

I'm an Oahu OTW customer that has never received any correspondance from them about SDV.
Would you guys mind posting the letter.
Thanks