TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #361
jesseramos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
David, all HD channels on Oahu are SDV, except for the broadcast networks 1003-1010, and have been since late 2007. It's different on Maui. I'm not sure how Jesse is tuning anything without the TA.

Jesse and Colin, have you had them hit your Cable Card with a reauthorization/reactivation signal yet? You can do that over the phone by calling 643-2100. Don't use the automated reauthorization. Have a representative do it manually.
Okay, I just had them send the reauth again, and everything seems to be working now. I don't know how many times they tried that on Friday. Seems to me like something was getting hung that day and only a limited amount of channels were getting recognized.

Like Todd suggested, I called and had a tech hit the card manually as opposed to doing it automated. Thanks for the tip, Todd. Saved me from having them come out again.
jesseramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #362
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

FXHD & BRAVOHD Now Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001 View Post
Well, I just got off the phone with Oceanic. I too cannot access the new channels FXHDP (1554) and BRAVOHD (1560). They had me unplug the usb, reboot the Tuning Adapter, reboot TiVo, and remove and reinstall my two cable cards. But, none of that worked. She set up to have a tech come out to the house next week Wed (3/11/09). About 30min later I received a call asking me to perform "Test Tuning Adapter Channels" on TiVo. I received the message "No Channels are Available". She then asked me to perform "Test Cable Card Channels" and that worked just fine except for the two new channels. She told me she would continue to look into it on her end and call me back if she discovers something, otherwise the tech will come by next Wed as scheduled. I'm able to receive every channel except 1554 & 1560, I really don't think the problem is my tuning adapter or cable cards, I think it's on there end.
I'll keep you posted. If anyone else is having this problem with these two channels, please call Oceanic. If enough people call having this problem they will realize the problem is on there end and not the customers house.

Aloha,
Tony

UPDATE 3/4/09 - I received a callback from Oceanic this morning stating that they have discovered the problem is on their end and not on mine. She stated they needed a software upgrade on their system, but didn't know exactly know how long this would take or when it will be done.
At least now I won't have to take off work for a tech to come by and end up doing nothing.

Aloha,
Tony

I'm alittle late in reporting this, but a few days ago Oceanic called me and said they updated their TA software and I should now be able to tune-in FXHD and BRAVOHD. Sure enough I can! I would guess everyone else on Oahu can get tune them in also.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #363
HiKent

This is great news.

Any chance you can get your contacts to fix 800 (hawaiian music) and the radio channels? I've complained (& even had a tech come out). These channels worked with only a cablecard, but don't with the tuning adaptor.

I've had no luck getting anyone to listen. We have no radio reception here in our valley & I'd love to be able to timeshift radio again...

Kent
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #364
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Oceanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
This is great news.

Any chance you can get your contacts to fix 800 (hawaiian music) and the radio channels? I've complained (& even had a tech come out). These channels worked with only a cablecard, but don't with the tuning adaptor.

I've had no luck getting anyone to listen. We have no radio reception here in our valley & I'd love to be able to timeshift radio again...

Kent
Kent,

Call Oceanic 643-2100 select tech problem and ask to speak to Brook. Let her know you can tune-in every channel except channel 800 on your tuning adapter. She's the one who reported my problem with FXHD and BRAVOHD to the higher level techs and a week later things got resolved.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #365
Todd B.

I still can't tune FX HD. Anyone else?
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #366
jesseramos

Quote:
I still can't tune FX HD. Anyone else?
No problems here.
jesseramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #367
docnaks

2 (eventually a third came out) Techs came out last week Thursday to install the TA, woohoo! However, after about 2hrs of the "acquiring channel information" screen, they told me there was a "software" glitch. Even funnier, I had to point out a mistake in their setup! They would let the "foreman" know who would call me in a few days. Well 1 week later, no call. So I decided to hook the thing up myself. All channels came through except the HD SDV channels. So I called the tech line, and they again said the foreman would call. 2 hrs later, all the HD SDV channels were working! Except for ESPN 1222 and 1224, extremely pixelated. Just goes to show that we are all tech savvy enough to do this on our own...stupid truck roll
docnaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #368
Todd B.

Lost about half of my HD channels again tonight. Called Oceanic, and used the automated reactivation. This time it worked, and all my channels were restored. Got the "TA attached" message on the TiVo when the reactivation signal came through about 5 minutes after my call.

Kind of annoyed that I keep having to do this every few weeks, but it's a little less painful if the automated reactivation works reliably. I put my TA on a UPS now though. I'm hoping the regulated power will smooth things out and keep it from having to repeatedly do this reactivation.

Oh, and I'm getting FX HD now too.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #369
bueller555

I had the same "TA attached" message this morning too, but I didn't check my SDV channels. I've had this happen before, but I've never had to get my box reauthorized.
bueller555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #370
s2krazy

Ok just to update. it took a number of trips but we finally got it working. My installer Robert was great. While we were waiting, he shortened some longish cables, took out extra splitters (from when the house was built), and added a cable only junction box. Everything is working fine, even got to watch the finale of Battlestar Galactica in HD!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #371
ddubois

I have a Tivo Series3, live in Ewa Beach, and I haven't been following the SDV saga at all. I seem to recall receiving a letter about being on a list for tuning adapter many months ago, and that was the last I heard of it. I take it from the last few pages these have been shipping for awhile.

Can someone clarify for me which Oceanic packages provide which channels? I don't watch "real TV" hardly at all anymore, mostly just using my HTPC, but I upgraded from a 42" LCD to a 60" plasma yesterday, and obviously that will give ya a rekindled interest in getting HDTV content.

In fact, I was not even aware, until the HDTV salesman told me, that currently the Oahu analog cable signal contains the four big networks in an unencrypted "QAM format". I'm not up to speed on digital TV. I have never even attempted to tune to a TV channel with a dot in it - I wouldn't even know how. Does the fact that I have (dual) cable cards obviate the need for doing this QAM-tuning business?

I'm pretty sure we've been watching Lost in digital standard definition, not high definition. I'd love to be able to change that right away.
ddubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #372
bueller555

If you're running cable cards, the only HD content that you'll receive without a tuning adapter is 1003 (KHON), 1005 (KFVE), 1006 (KITV), 1007 (KGMB), 1008 (KHNL), and 1010 (KHET). Not all of their content will be in HD. There are many other channels that are HD-only, but those require a separate subscription payment.

And yes, with cable cards you won't have to deal with QAM tuning. The S3 can't handle that dot stuff anyway.

[Edit: I just realized that I assumed that you were on digital service. I retract the above as the Tivo recording HD content won't work with analog service with QAM. Sorry.]

Last edited by bueller555 : 03-28-2009 at 04:15 PM.
bueller555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #373
Icarus

Whatever TA/head end reprogramming they did seems to have worked.

I'm still having the occasional glitch here and there, but overall, it all seems to be working ok. One thing I've noticed is that it can take some time after a reset to be able to tune into a few of the "problematic" channels.

But overall, everything seems to be working ok now.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #374
ddubois

I am on digital service, and to my embarrassment, I did not do enough research before posting. The last time that I looked at the list of HD channels was many months ago, and at that time, I believe at most one of the major local networks was represented in the 1000+ range (all I remember for sure is that TNTHD was there). So my season passes have been on the "digital" channels representations circa ~80 all this time. /smack forehead
ddubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #375
Todd B.

With Cable Card(s) installed, you can tune the major broadcast networks in HD with just Standard Cable service on channels 1003-1010. If you want to get any more HD channels, they're all SDV, and you'll need to get a Tuning Adapter and the HD Entertainment Pak.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #376
Todd B.

I lost ALL digital channels (digital, HD, and SDV) on both tuners sometime today. Analog channels were fine. After disconnecting the TA's USB cable, I was able to tune all non-SDV channels again. After rebooting the TA, my full service was restored.

I love all my HD channels, but it's getting annoying that I have some tuning issue every few weeks that causes me to miss recordings.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #377
Icarus

What the heck is going on with KHNL-HD tonight? There's nothing there.

-David
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #378
s2krazy

I noticed I had lost a channel or two, (Scifi and now Verses). I meant to look into this but am now really pissed cause I missed recording my Indycar race. I guess step one is a reboot of the TA? Anything else to try on a weekend?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #379
spleen93

Quote:
I lost ALL digital channels (digital, HD, and SDV) on both tuners sometime today. Analog channels were fine. After disconnecting the TA's USB cable, I was able to tune all non-SDV channels again. After rebooting the TA, my full service was restored.

I love all my HD channels, but it's getting annoying that I have some tuning issue every few weeks that causes me to miss recordings.
Agreed. It's getting a little old. Not sure why they can't make the TA more reliable.
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #380
Sy-

Sorry about revisiting an old thread but since my questions are more specific to the Oceanic operations I though this would be the best place to ask. I'm having my TA installed next week and am wondering wether or not to use my current S3 or spring for a new HD XL. Does Oceanic have m-cards? for those of you with an S3 do they still charge you twice for the HD-Pak (once for each cable card)? I remember that that pissed me off last time I was using cable cards! If there anything I should look out for when they are doing the CC and TA install? Thanks all!
Premiere XL

*Listed in order of acquisition as well as reliability!
Sy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #381
Icarus

It's not really an old thread, but you really do need to read it rather than have somebody else do it for you.

I have an S3, and OTW charges a duplicate service fee for each CC. (Unless the S3 is your only "outlet", in that case you will pay one extra duplicate service fee.) And yes, as far as I know, they will charge you for the HD pack for each outlet.

If you want to go with the HD or HD XL, you can avoid that by getting/using one m-card instead of the 2 cards you need with the S3. Other operators have gotten into trouble with the FCC for this practice, but as far as I know OTW still does it.

The good news for you is that we (OTW and us) have already debugged most of the TA problems/issues, so for the most part, your install and operation should be relatively problem free.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 05-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #382
Sy-

Thanks, So the HD XL is on order. Should be here Thursday! Thx for working out the bugs for me. Still a little miffed that I had to wait so long. I was supposed to be at the top of that TA list. Didn't know it was available till I got a call Sunday night! Anyone know what a S3 with lifetime is worth? I even have the original hard drive (virgin) that came with it. Swapped it out before I even powered it on!
Premiere XL

Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #383
Sy-

Yay... I'm all set up. The OTW rep just left. He showed up at 11:00 and was out the door at 11:45. He installed 1 M-Card and the tuning adapter. Funny thing was that he was only assigned 2 cable card installs today. Apparently the think that these truck rolls take 4hrs like they did a couple years ago. I asked him what he was going to do with the rest of his day and he said he was going to the beach. I want his job! Anyways the install went good, the csr rep forgot to turn on the hd-pak so it took a few minutes to figure out why it wasn't working. So happy to get rid the the SA8300hdc!!!
Premiere XL

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #384
spleen93

Cool!
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #385
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post
Yay... I'm all set up. The OTW rep just left. He showed up at 11:00 and was out the door at 11:45. He installed 1 M-Card and the tuning adapter. Funny thing was that he was only assigned 2 cable card installs today. Apparently the think that these truck rolls take 4hrs like they did a couple years ago. I asked him what he was going to do with the rest of his day and he said he was going to the beach. I want his job! Anyways the install went good, the csr rep forgot to turn on the hd-pak so it took a few minutes to figure out why it wasn't working. So happy to get rid the the SA8300hdc!!!
Glad to hear your install went so well. I was the house he went to before yours (he said he was headed to Ewa Beach for another Tivo install). My visit took a little longer, but not much. Would have been shorter, if he had listened to me. I needed two cards (Series 3 Tivo), and I told him that the instructions said make sure you finish setting up the first card before you insert the second, or it might damage the card. He was nice, but insisted that they were going to want the numbers from both cards when he called in. I shrugged and said "okay". Sure enough, the second card wouldn't work. He had to swap it for another card, and make another call with the new card information. This time it worked. Coulda been coincidence, and the 2nd card just happened to be bad, but I doubt it.

Anyway, aside from that little issue, everything went great. My Tivo's been working perfectly since Friday (knock on wood). I too am thrilled to be done with the SA8300HDC. The things I missed the most were jump back feature when you come out of fast forward, and the buffering 1/2 hour on both tuners, without recording. I enjoyed flipping back and forth between baseball and softball yesterday, without missing a pitch in either game.

Funny thing about the 4-hour window: The installer said that others were originally assigned to our installs, but they swapped with him because they were afraid of Tivo's. And now you say that his day was done by 11:45. Sweet.
GiantsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #386
Sy-

Yea, I had a good conversation with him about the S3's and cable cards. I told him that you were right about doing the cards 1 at a time. Maybe next time he'll do it correctly. I was going to have them do the install on my S3 but I went out and bought a HD XL at the last minute. I was worried that they would continue to double charge for the second card, dup services fee and hd-pak fee for each card like they did back in '07. When you get your next bill can you check it and see if they are still doing this?
Premiere XL

Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #387
snakpak

Quote:
I was worried that they would continue to double charge for the second card, dup services fee and hd-pak fee for each card like they did back in '07. When you get your next bill can you check it and see if they are still doing this?
On my S3, I pay $2.54 for the 2nd cable card, $8 Duplicate Services fee, and $3.50 for the 2nd HD Pak. Total $14.04 per month that you're saving by using a single M card.
snakpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #388
redhotlava

Hope I'm not jumping into the wrong thread here...
if so, direct me elsewhere, ok? I bought a new HD XL
about a month ago. Ever since I've been waiting for
OTW to come up with the tuning adaptor I've heard
you guys mention here. So far, nothing. I bug them
every week, but it's arrival does not seem imminent.
Apparently, it's not just me... they seem to be out of
stock here on this island (Hawaii, the Big Island) and
possibly even on Oahu (altho that seems unreasonable).
Is there any way for me to obtain the TA elsewhere so
I can get this box working, or is that out of the question?
And what is OTW charging for the cards and adaptors
anyway? Installation? Monthly usage? Needless to say,
I'm frustrated wtih OTW. Suggestions?

~ Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii
redhotlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #389
GiantsFan24

Quote:
I was worried that they would continue to double charge for the second card, dup services fee and hd-pak fee for each card like they did back in '07. When you get your next bill can you check it and see if they are still doing this?
I'll let you know. But I'm sure the double billing will be there, just like snakpak is seeing.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #390
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotlava View Post
Hope I'm not jumping into the wrong thread here...
if so, direct me elsewhere, ok? I bought a new HD XL
about a month ago. Ever since I've been waiting for
OTW to come up with the tuning adaptor I've heard
you guys mention here. So far, nothing. I bug them
every week, but it's arrival does not seem imminent.
Apparently, it's not just me... they seem to be out of
stock here on this island (Hawaii, the Big Island) and
possibly even on Oahu (altho that seems unreasonable).
Is there any way for me to obtain the TA elsewhere so
I can get this box working, or is that out of the question?
And what is OTW charging for the cards and adaptors
anyway? Installation? Monthly usage? Needless to say,
I'm frustrated wtih OTW. Suggestions?

~ Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii
Right thread...

I was told a couple months ago that the TA's were coming to Hawaii in small batches. They were being distributed first to the current CableCard customers, then to the people on the waiting list (I think I signed up for the waiting list last November or so). Since I just got my TA last week, that gives you an idea of where they are in terms of making it through the list. [Disclaimer: I was told this by OTW CSR's, so I won't vouch for accuracy.] I have no information about other islands. I did get a CSR to tell me where I was on the list (maybe six weeks ago) -- she said she saw my name on the first page. So maybe you could call and ask where you are on the list.

As for cost, the TA and the install were free. Not sure what the cablecard rental is, but I think it's shown on Oceanic's web site (my memory says it's only $2-3 per card). Exactly how much it will cost depends on your package (HD fees, duplication fees, etc.).

I don't think you can get a TA yourself. Your frustration is well understood...