TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
jmg893

TiVo S3 stutters the playback after internal HD upgrade

My S3's HD took a major dump. So I got a brand new 7200rpm drive with double the capacity. Had a new image loaded onto it. Installed it and everything seemed to be working fine....until we started watching recorded programs. Anywhere between every 2 to 5 minutes, the program starts to stutter. It's as if someone is randomly pressing the pause button rapidly. The screen freezes and the audio stops for 2-4 seconds, then plays normal again for a second or two, then freezes again, then plays again. This will go on for about 30-45 seconds and then everything works fine for 4-5 minutes, then happens again. It doesn't happen on every single recording. And when it does happen, sometimes the gap between it happening can be as much as 20 minutes before it happens again. This never happens when watching live programming. Does anyone know whats going on here? We can transfer the recorded programs to the other room's HD unit and they play fine. So we know it isn't the recorded data. We can move stuff from the HD to the S3 and where there was no stutter problem with it on the HD there is a problem on the S3. Any experiences or suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
bkdtv

Did you buy one of the recommended drives in Section V of the Drive Upgrade FAQ? If not, it is possible that the drive is overheating and/or causing other components in the TiVo to overheat.

If you bought a prepared drive from Weaknees or DVRUpgrade, those drives should be fine. In that case, you might see if the problems continue over the next 48-72 hours, once the latest software is installed and all guide data is indexed. In general, TiVos are less responsive for the first 48-72 hours after guided setup, because the guide data is indexed in the background.

If the issues you are experiencing continue past 48-72 hours, I would return the drive as defective.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
jmg893

It's a long story why I'm just now re-addressing this problem I have, but when home I'll check my drive against that list.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Thom

Download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic disc, and use it to test the entire drive for problems. If you have SpinRite 6, you can also use it to test and repair the drive.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg893 View Post

It's a long story why I'm just now re-addressing this problem I have ...
Nine months isn't so bad. I've held on to DVDs from Netflix at least three times as long.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote