Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #211
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alose View Post
Just to let people know that the setup can be simple: <snip>
Thanks for that. It's good to hear a positive experience now and then. I think most of the time that's the case these days and that about the only time someone finds their way here is when it doesn't go so well. After several years on the market now, it's still surprising to hear about cableco's and/or tech's that still have no clue about what to do with a cable card.

Enjoy your new TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #212
vaughtj1957
Tivoholic Anonymous

Question TWC M Cards Question

Hi, Couldn't find an answer in the FAQ,s so here goes........
Just Replaced my Series 2Dt with A Tivo HD. I Live in SoCal and have TWC. Emailed TWC to set my appt date to install 2 cards and was informed they only support S cards with limited premium service. They set the appt for the next day. Installer came out and informed me he had never done a CC install before. I requested another tech. He called someone else and within 20 minutes had a senior tech arrive at he house. He said he had never done a Tivo install before but has done a few TV's. Luckily I had read through the forums for install advice and felt comfortable to give the green light. I pulled up the correct Tivo screen to begin card install. I inspected the cards and to my delight found they had brought 2 Motorola M cards. Tech installed card 1 and I ran the Tivo to the correct set up screen. He then called in to activate card and was working within minutes , receiving all premium channels. I had read that all I needed was one M card to make dual tuners operate, but only one channel worked. I had him go ahead and install another M card in slot 2 and now both tuners are working flawlessly.
My question is, was something done wrong during the activation service? or is this normal. Is there any advantage to using the M cards? Currently am not using an HD set, but plan to upgrade in the near future.
vaughtj1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #213
lrhorer

I cannot say for certain, as I have never actually attempted this, but I suspect your second card is doing nothing at all. Go into the diagnostics screens, and they will tell you wich CableCard is providing services. There is definitely no need for two M-Cards. I also strongly suspect the CSR who told you only limited services were available was incorrect. It's true you will not be able to receive any SDV channels until the TA is delivered in your area, and you might want to research to make certain any premium packages are worth it given the unavailability of SDV channels in those packages.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #214
pete7000

Hi
I have a tivo 3 and cablecard. Can I use the cablecard that Iam renting from the cable company , but no subscrition service from tivo?
I don't need the program schedulle
thanks
pete7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #215
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete7000 View Post
Hi
I have a tivo 3 and cablecard. Can I use the cablecard that Iam renting from the cable company , but no subscrition service from tivo?
I don't need the program schedulle
thanks
Unfortunately no. You have to have activate a TiVo subscription to use a TiVo Series3.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #216
pete7000

thanks
pete7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #217
serial_port_me05

All, Thanks for your knowledge here, I have spent the last hour scrolling.

I am making the switch to Cablevision after many years of Directv with Tivo. I purchased 2 new HD Tivos.

I hope the guy they send is good, you all have made me paranoid.

One question, I have read in the thread but want to be clear - It is best to set up the Tivos before the guy arrives. I can't hook it up to anything for a picture, but I can get the wireless connection hooked up to my network prior to him coming. This will activate and update the Tivo software. Will it allow me to go through guided setup without anything plugged into any of the inputs?

Is that correct? And is there anything else I should do prior to him coming...other than crossing my fingers?
serial_port_me05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #218
macd2

A tip for anyone about to get a CableCard installed:

Do the guided setup and make sure Tivo upgrades to the latest software version before attempting the install.

My Tivo came with 8.something and it rejected the CableCards.
After upgrading to 11.something, the Tivo accpeted the M-card.
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #219
beckylynn420

So here is a question. We had the hardest time getting our 2 motorola S Cards paired with our series 3 HD DVR. They would unpair on the cable company end but would not repair. So I did a full reset on the box and then swapped the positions and it still had some problems. At first I could only watch tv if I went to a card and went thru configure and test channels and just tested card 2. Now this is what I have

Card one (which is a motorola S card) says the following in the important areas

Auth: Fixed working key
Host Validation: Valid 04
Copy Protection Key: Disabled

Card Two
Auth: SUBSCRIBED
Host Validation: Valid 03

And if I go to the pairing screen I get the following on both cards
This screen is displayed on behalf of your cable provider
In order to start cable service please contact your provider

Now I can watch tv, record and flip between DVR's and record. My question is do I need to insist on new cards as to prevent trouble in the future? Anything that I go into with the cablecard menu gives me the call the cable company screen and they both say waiting to start.
Also I am set up thru ethernet but when I do something like go to movies by One True media it tells me that my setting are not correct and I need to get into my Tivo account and allow downloads. Which is set that I can so ugh...what you all think I should do?
beckylynn420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #220
Lorcane

Anyone know the current firmware number for Scientific Atlantic M-Cards running on TWC?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #221
radtechy

Right now i have a TiVo hd with 1 m-card with cablevision of long island. I'm going to be moving to the Bohemia/holbook area near the airport and getting verizon fios. I was hoping someone can explain how to go about getting the new program lineup and preparing the TiVo so it's ready when the tech comes. And is it a seemless transition to put in a new cablecard?

Thanks in advance for any help/info
James
radtechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #222
PugFan

Smooth....

I purchased my Tivo HD XL Friday, hooked it up Monday and did setup with Broadband. The Cable Card was installed today and there were no issues whatsoever... The installers said that more and more with the newer equipment the installs are going easy...
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #223
gordonwrogers
hopeless TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtechy View Post
Right now i have a TiVo hd with 1 m-card with cablevision of long island. I'm going to be moving to the Bohemia/holbook area near the airport and getting verizon fios. I was hoping someone can explain how to go about getting the new program lineup and preparing the TiVo so it's ready when the tech comes. And is it a seemless transition to put in a new cablecard?

Thanks in advance for any help/info
James
You really don't need to do anything to prepare for a move. You will probably need to return your cable cards to your cable provider, but the install at the other end is usually seamless. I have two TiVo Series 3 HD's with two cable cards each, and one Tivo HD with two cable cards all networked on a cable modem. On a couple occaisions, I have seen installers put in bad cards, but usually they have had replacements on-hand. The guided setup will automatically load your program guide in a few minutes depending on your internet speed.
gordonwrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #224
gordonwrogers
hopeless TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckylynn420 View Post
So here is a question. We had the hardest time getting our 2 motorola S Cards paired with our series 3 HD DVR. They would unpair on the cable company end but would not repair. So I did a full reset on the box and then swapped the positions and it still had some problems. At first I could only watch tv if I went to a card and went thru configure and test channels and just tested card 2. Now this is what I have

Card one (which is a motorola S card) says the following in the important areas

Auth: Fixed working key
Host Validation: Valid 04

Card Two
Auth: SUBSCRIBED
Host Validation: Valid 03

And if I go to the pairing screen I get the following on both cards
This screen is displayed on behalf of your cable provider
In order to start cable service please contact your provider

Now I can watch tv, record and flip between DVR's and record. My question is do I need to insist on new cards as to prevent trouble in the future? Anything that I go into with the cablecard menu gives me the call the cable company screen and they both say waiting to start.
Also I am set up thru ethernet but when I do something like go to movies by One True media it tells me that my setting are not correct and I need to get into my Tivo account and allow downloads. Which is set that I can so ugh...what you all think I should do?
Once the cards are installed by the cable company, don't switch them! You need to contact your cable company again and give them the information physically imprinted on the card label, install one card at a time and then go to the Cable Card Configuration page from within Messages and Settings and read them the requested information. They must pair the cards over the phone with you while they are seated in your Tivo box. If you unseat the cards, or swap them, you will likely have to get them paired again by your cable company as they will likely load with new IP addresses. Make sure to test your channels before they get off the phone. Wait for the guided setup to complete, select your channels, test a known channel, test your premium channels, etc. before they get off the phone.

Last edited by gordonwrogers : 03-23-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #225
gordonwrogers
hopeless TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial_port_me05 View Post
All, Thanks for your knowledge here, I have spent the last hour scrolling.

I am making the switch to Cablevision after many years of Directv with Tivo. I purchased 2 new HD Tivos.

I hope the guy they send is good, you all have made me paranoid.

One question, I have read in the thread but want to be clear - It is best to set up the Tivos before the guy arrives. I can't hook it up to anything for a picture, but I can get the wireless connection hooked up to my network prior to him coming. This will activate and update the Tivo software. Will it allow me to go through guided setup without anything plugged into any of the inputs?

Is that correct? And is there anything else I should do prior to him coming...other than crossing my fingers?
Hope your install went well. I made the switch from DirecTV to TiVo a couple years ago and have never looked back. Once the cable cards are installed, it is a beautiful thing!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #226
berics

Time Warner Cablecard Issue

I had a MCard installed by TWC last Saturday. After reading the advice on the board, I was prepared and checked all the HD and premium channels. They all worked except for UHD, HDNet, HDNetMV and MGMHD, (470-473 for TWC Cleveland/Elyria lineup) all of which I received on my SA 8300.

The tech couldn't do anything and told me to talk with customer support. I've now had 5 conversations with them. They claim these channels are on a separate tier for $5 a month. Fine, I said add the tier. They are unable to get it to work. Their most current solution is to have tech come out this Saturday. Since everything is working except these four channels, it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem and I don't see what the tech is going to do.

The CSRs say 'the codes are conflicting' and 'they are taking me around in circles' when they try to add the tier.

Anyone have any guidance on this issue?

Thanks
berics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #227
tombonneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by berics View Post
I had a MCard installed by TWC last Saturday. After reading the advice on the board, I was prepared and checked all the HD and premium channels. They all worked except for UHD, HDNet, HDNetMV and MGMHD, (470-473 for TWC Cleveland/Elyria lineup) all of which I received on my SA 8300.

The tech couldn't do anything and told me to talk with customer support. I've now had 5 conversations with them. They claim these channels are on a separate tier for $5 a month. Fine, I said add the tier. They are unable to get it to work. Their most current solution is to have tech come out this Saturday. Since everything is working except these four channels, it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem and I don't see what the tech is going to do.

The CSRs say 'the codes are conflicting' and 'they are taking me around in circles' when they try to add the tier.

Anyone have any guidance on this issue?

Thanks
Thanks for the heads up. I'm having TWC come by on Saturday. I actually have that HD channel tier, I'll be sure to double-check it.

Any other advice you could give someone going through a TWC install? (Don't really have time to read the thousand posts. )
tombonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #228
Shanezam203

Comcast came out and installed a Multi Stream Cable Card in my Tivo HD today and he was In and Out. It did not take him long to program it at all.
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #229
astronomer

Cable cards authorize only broadcast channels

I have a Series 3 which has had 2 Scientific Atlanta single stream cable cards installed for over a year. As Comcast (Charlottesville, VA) added HD channels, they all showed up perfectly. Then, a few months ago, the HD channels began to disappear one by one (every few days) until only the HD broadcast channels, all available to me with an antenna, remain. A Comcast tech has been here for visits of 4 and 3 hours and tried several different single and multi cards, with no change in the situation. The non-broadcast channels show up for a fraction of a second, then the screen goes black. The tech has been on the phone with multiple "experts" with no success. They keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The dispatcher and experts insist that I should be able to receive the HD channels in question, that the cards are being programmed correctly, and that the authorization files kept centrally are correct, but the situation is unchanged. Has anybody else seen this particular problem? Could it be related to encryption?
astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #230
mowog74

Astronomer, take this with a grain of salt, because I have no idea if it could have any bearing on your situation or not. But I run a Windows Media Center with a QAM tuner that lets me record unencrypted channels provided by Comcast in Charlottesville, and I can tell you that most of the formerly unencrypted channels have been encrypted over the past couple of months. All I can get now via QAM are the four broadcast channels, music choice, and several digital versions of SD channels (TBS, ESPN, CW, etc).

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Series3 or CableCard to be able to tell you in what way, if at all, this could affect your installation. My gut says not at all, but it does seem pretty coincidental that these channels are being encrypted around the same time you're having your issue.

Mike
mowog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #231
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alose View Post
Just to let people know that the setup can be simple:
Comcast Cape Coral FL:
Last week on Tuesday call up Comcast and change Full Basic to bottom tier Digital. Guy puts me on hold I get another agent. Place order again and request cable card. I specifically requested an M-Card. The agent was a bit confused but accepted that it was a specific type of Cable card and noted it in the order. The Card was "Free" but there was a mandatory $39.99 install fee. The agent scheduled a tech to come out Saturday Morning.

The calls up about 8:30 to say he would be over in about 10 minutes. He shows up, copies down some info from the cable card, inserts card and goes to the pair info screen. He calls in, gets the the service activated, and screen blips and then everything is working. All told, took maybe 10-15 minutes.

I did have everything configured on the tivo but the cable card and had it sitting at the right screen for the tech. Still the tech was a little surprised everything went so smoothly.
These stories pi** me off....and I'm not mad at the poster; I'm mad at my cableco (Mediacom). Here's my story....

...techs arrived this afternoon (after unsuccessful attempt last Sat to install two S cards in my TiVoHD)...with S cards only. This is TWICE now when I've made the appointment, it's been specified M card only. The guy apologized, said when he got his stuff this morning before heading out, they had no M cards. He said he saw that the order had M card only, and he called ahead of time to see if I still wanted him to show up. I said "yeah, I took off work early, so let's give it a try." Slapped the first S card in, twice they supposedly sent hits, but we could never tune ANY channels at all. So, we re-scheduled a THIRD time for next week, again with the M card stipulation. From the info screens on my TiVo, it appears the hit is coming through because the card is receiving info. But it just never gets any of the channels -- digital or analog. VERY frustrating.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I just can't believe they can't get these suckers to work in my TiVoHD.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #232
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

As a follow-up to my previous post, Mediacom came out a third time last Thursday, and the tech I had was head and shoulders above the others...and probably the youngest (23). Within the hour, we had two S-cards working flawlessly in my new HD.

XL4
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #233
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Within the hour, we had two S-cards working flawlessly in my new HD.
Finally! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #234
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Finally! Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks...obviously, I'd prefer one M-card over two S-cards. But Mediacom has a "shortage" of M-cards for some reason. I really don't care as long as it works. It's only $1.99/month/card.

XL4
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #235
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Thanks...obviously, I'd prefer one M-card over two S-cards. But Mediacom has a "shortage" of M-cards for some reason. I really don't care as long as it works. It's only $1.99/month/card.
No kidding. Be glad you aren't charged $6.99/mo. for an Additional Outlet like we are at Comcast/North East. When it was $2.75/mo., I said the same thing as you, and so I got 4 cableCARDS. Then they jacked the price up to $5.00/mo, and now $7.00/mo. Now I'm running with a single tuner on one S3 and the other is OTA only.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #236
Flyinace2000

Does FIOS still only have the Scards and is do they still require a truck roll? My parents are trying to shave some $$ of their bill. They currently have 4 S-Cards for 2 TiVoHD's but if we can get them down to 2 that would save $8 a month and nearly $100/year.
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #237
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post
Does FIOS still only have the Scards and is do they still require a truck roll?
It depends on their location. They only have "M" cards in our area, but a number of other folks said that they still only have "S" cards in some other areas.

IIRC they still don't allow DIY cable card installs but that may be area-dependent as well. Truck roll is about $90. Ouch!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #238
MookieDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IIRC they still don't allow DIY cable card installs but that may be area-dependent as well. Truck roll is about $90. Ouch!
Truck roll fee also depends. Here in Massachusetts, they charged me $55 for a truck roll to install 1 M-card.
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #239
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieDoug View Post
Truck roll fee also depends. Here in Massachusetts, they charged me $55 for a truck roll to install 1 M-card.
That's one thing I'll give Comcast credit for...they only charge $14.95 for a truck roll here. They still don't allow DIY cable card installs like they do elsewhere though.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #240
TXTivoUser
Jeep Ninja

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to this thread and the FAQ. I just picked up a used S3 from a buddy and the installer brought an M card and both he and I assumed it would work fine and we couldn't get the second tuner to pick up.

The installer was kind of flustered and I wouldn't let him leave until it worked the way I knew it should.

I stumbled on this thread and just happened to read the part that the S3 doesn't have the support for an M card to work in dual stream mode.

I forwarded this thread to the installer so he could use it on the next install.

So great job TCF and the members that helped make my life easier yesterday.
TXTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote