TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #541
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
As a follow up: The M card installed in one of my S3s Friday is still working fine, except that it's paired - the first time with FiOS through the four years with Verizon. <snip>
Are they copy protecting some or all of your cable channels as well? (They can't protect the broadcast channels). You can check under DVR Diagnostics. CCI Byte 0x00 means unprotected, 0x02 means protected…meaning that you cannot use MRV or move the recording to your computer etc. Copy protection would generally be the only reason that they'd pair your cable cards to your TiVo.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #542
lob

fios and mcards

well i must be a sucker for punishment. no more than 6 months (and 3 tech visits) after finally getting my XL working right with cablevision finally. i decided to order fios.

i had heard good things about fios tech wise. also my friend has and xl with an mcard in it 2 towns over - he said it all went fine.

low and behold.. i ordered fios last night. called today to add an mcard to my order.. and got told they only have scards available. they dont do mcards. asked to speak to someone else in technical.. got told same thing by that person. so tomorrow i plan to call my local office to get better news hopefully. i really had high hopes fios would be more on the ball than cable company. and i still cant believe this is such a headache after all this time.
lob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #543
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lob View Post
well i must be a sucker for punishment. no more than 6 months (and 3 tech visits) after finally getting my XL working right with cablevision finally. i decided to order fios.

i had heard good things about fios tech wise. also my friend has and xl with an mcard in it 2 towns over - he said it all went fine.

low and behold.. i ordered fios last night. called today to add an mcard to my order.. and got told they only have scards available. they dont do mcards. asked to speak to someone else in technical.. got told same thing by that person. so tomorrow i plan to call my local office to get better news hopefully. i really had high hopes fios would be more on the ball than cable company. and i still cant believe this is such a headache after all this time.
I'd wager dollars to donuts that they actually have M cards…it's been well over a year or more since FiOS in any area was offering up S cards so odds are you'll be fine.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #544
lob

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I'd wager dollars to donuts that they actually have M cards…it's been well over a year or more since FiOS in any area was offering up S cards so odds are you'll be fine.
cheers rich i hope you are right and i'll let you know how i make out.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #545
lob

Quote:
cheers rich i hope you are right and i'll let you know how i make out.
quick update.. i called my local fios store and sure enough they assured me they had mcards. they told me they would contact CS themselves and get it added. they called back saying all was set.

so i just checked my order status on the "whats next" fios page. sure enough a "cable card rental" line has appeared. and thats not all... 2 "dvrs" (one hd, one sd) have magically appeared on the order? wow. on hold right now to get them removed. i wonder if the system automatically added them when the cablecards were added? also wondering if it will then furthermore remove the cablecards if both dvrs are removed from the order. pure evil genius.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #546
richsadams

Quote:
quick update.. i called my local fios store and sure enough they assured me they had mcards. they told me they would contact CS themselves and get it added. they called back saying all was set.

so i just checked my order status on the "whats next" fios page. sure enough a "cable card rental" line has appeared. and thats not all... 2 "dvrs" (one hd, one sd) have magically appeared on the order? wow. on hold right now to get them removed. i wonder if the system automatically added them when the cablecards were added? also wondering if it will then furthermore remove the cablecards if both dvrs are removed from the order. pure evil genius.
IIRC they are required to show DVRs or set top boxes on their order forms. The installer will bring them along and cross them off the list when he or she sees that you don't need them.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #547
icespide

2 new premieres on the way

welp I just pulled the trigger on two TiVo Premiere boxes since I found a great deal. I currently have 2 TiVo HD boxes that I'd like to swap out the cableCARDS from those boxes and use those in the premiere boxes. Each box has one M Card.

I'm currently using Comcast, had a nightmare each time I had a cablecard installed. What is everyone's experience with moving a cablecard to a new TiVo, particularly with comcast? I've read that I'll probably have to "pair" the cards to their new TiVo, which should only entail me calling up comcast and reading off the 3 usual numbers, hopefully. What are my chances that this will go smoothly? I'm excited for shiny new TiVo's but worried about comcast...

thanks. long time reader, first time poster. <3 my TiVo
icespide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #548
richsadams

You'll certainly have to pair your cable cards to your new TiVo's. It's a roll of the dice if Comcast will let you call in the cable card info or require a truck roll. Comast has different policies in different areas (I know, it makes no sense but there it is.)

It would be best to call and find out ASAP so if you do have to schedule a visit yo can get in the queue.

Enjoy your new TiVo's!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #549
drhankz

New FCC CableCard Rules Requires Self Install

The FCC changes the CableCARD rules, but not dramatically
By Ben Drawbaugh posted Oct 14th 2010 6:43PM
Feature
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #550
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Feature
THANK GOD. I'm moving this week and I was stressing out about scheduling a truck roll to do these damn cable cards... I just called cablevision (long island) and the lady confirmed that I can pick up the cards then call in to activate them myself...

I didn't have an absolute nightmare originally but it was bad enough to make me not want to do it ever again. Even at the time I thought it was idiotic to have a guy come to put cards in a slot then follow on-screen prompts for two hours. I have to think the installers are thanking the FCC at this point. My new landlords should be happy-- $2 per CC so $4 total vs almost $17 for the dvr box they have in the apartment now. Would be even better if they took that difference off the rent, haha.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #551
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I have to think the installers are thanking the FCC at this point.
Oh, I doubt the installers are happy about the FCC's ruling at all...they get paid by the hour and/or job. I'd wager the cable companies aren't happy at the moment because their (antiquated) concept was that sending someone out was "preventative" maintenance. Once they realize that most John Q Public types are more than capable of slipping a cable card in a slot and reading some numbers over the phone...AND their payroll and/or sub-contractor expenses are reduced, I suspect they'll see things in a more positive light.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #552
E94Allen

My TiVo uses SA MCard... I am wondering if EMM Processed is important because mine is shown as zero does it matters?
E94Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #553
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by E94Allen View Post
My TiVo uses SA MCard... I am wondering if EMM Processed is important because mine is shown as zero does it matters?
yes it does unless you have recently rebooted it. What does the "Status" say toward the top?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #554
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Feature
So why is Comcast still insisting on coming out to install new cable cards?
Has anyone had any success enforcing this ruling with their local Comcast office?
I believe they purposely are disabling the cards to force a home visit.
The thing is, I can not figure out why.
It must be costing them tons of money to pay installers to do something any able-minded person should be able to do.
I really don't get their mindset.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #555
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
Some Comcast Franchises allow end-user installs and some don't.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #556
Ziggy86

Has anyone here with Fios swapped cable cards from on Tivo to another?

If so do you need FIos to come and pair or like others have said the card works in other devices without having to get Fios to come to your house?

Thanks
Steven
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #557
a68oliver

Quote:
Has anyone had any success enforcing this ruling with their local Comcast office?
It must be costing them tons of money to pay installers to do something any able-minded person should be able to do.
Because they can.

The rule doesn't appear to take effect in Comcast's case until August 1, 2011. So there is no rule to enforce, yet.

I disagree that they are "purposely" disabling cards to force a home visit. I can't believe that they are making any money on home visits. I don't think the installation rate is sufficient to cover their actual costs.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #558
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Has anyone here with Fios swapped cable cards from on Tivo to another?

If so do you need FIos to come and pair or like others have said the card works in other devices without having to get Fios to come to your house?

Thanks
Steven
Do you have Verizon FiOS? If so, yes, they do not pair cable cards to the box and you can swap them out.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #559
Ziggy86

I do have FiOS and am keeping my fingers crossed that it is as simple as just putting the card from old Tivo into the new Tivo. If they do not pair them why did it take so long to install the card the first time?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #560
richsadams

Quote:
The cableco's somewhat antiquated concept is that the end-user doesn't have enough experience (or sense) to insert a cable card, find the proper menus and read three sets of numbers to someone in support services over the phone. Then they also want to take into account that even if someone were to get the cable cards properly set up, something else might need attention. To avoid a lot of "I did that...what do I do now?" calls they just opt to send a tech.

I agree with you and a68oliver, the expense to roll a truck is certainly costing them more than what they charge.

The reason some Comcast offices allow customers to activate cable cards and some don't goes back to whatever the policy was for the original cableco prior to their acquisition by Comcast...so it's very patchwork.

Cable cards are a very small percentage of any cableco's business so however it's handled it's not on their radar. If the offices share information someone in upper management should have realized long ago that those allowing customers to activate cable cards w/o a truck roll are enjoying lower costs. However even if they understand that it's probably (in their eyes) more trouble to change their policies and deal with re-training of their support staff than it's worth.

Once the law changes I'd wager the offices currently requiring a truck roll will continue to do so until someone puts their foot down. I don't think they'll flout the law on purpose, they'll just keep doing business as usual until they're forced to change. Hope I'm wrong on that one though.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #561
richsadams

Quote:
I do have FiOS and am keeping my fingers crossed that it is as simple as just putting the card from old Tivo into the new Tivo. If they do not pair them why did it take so long to install the card the first time?
But do you have Verizon FiOS? There are other companies that offer FiOS that do pair their cable cards (Frontier is one of them). FWIW I have heard that Verizon actually began pairing cable cards in some small pockets somewhere on the East Coast (in preparation to sell off some more of their network), but I can't recall if that turned out to be fact or not.

I have no idea with regard to your second question.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #562
Ziggy86

I do have Verizon FiOS
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #563
richsadams

Quote:
I do have Verizon FiOS
You shouldn't have any trouble then. One way to see if your box is paired to the cable card is to check to see if any of your cable channels have copy protection. Normal over-the-air channels will never have copy protection, but some cable channels might, particularly premium channels (Showtime, HBO, etc.).

Tune your TiVo to a premium channel then go to TiVo Central > Messages and Settings > Account and System Information > DVR Diagnostics. Scroll down the info for either tuner until you come to "CCI Byte". If it's anything other than 0x00 (0x02 for example) copy protection exists and your cable card would be paired to your TiVo. If they are all 0x00 you should have no trouble moving your cable card(s) from one TiVo to another.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #564
Ziggy86

Thank you Rich.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #565
Ziggy86

Just an update.

I took the cable card from my broken Tivo and put it into the new Tivo and everything is working. No need to call FiOS or have them come to the house.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #566
richsadams

Quote:
Just an update.

I took the cable card from my broken Tivo and put it into the new Tivo and everything is working. No need to call FiOS or have them come to the house.
Sweet. Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #567
Brighton Line

FIOS doesn't bind cards to devices, if you have Cablevison you would have to call.
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #568
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
FIOS doesn't bind cards to devices, if you have Cablevison you would have to call.
Per the posts above, the OP is all set. FWIW in most areas Verizon FiOS does not pair their cable cards. However other FiOS providers do.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #569
myblubu

Premiere Cable Card Install Questions

I've had a Tivo Premiere for a few months and it works fine (have 2 HD's also), but these questions are about the Premiere.

All my Tivos do not have cable cards and I don't subscribe to any premium channels, etc.

Cable company just changed their lineup and converted some of the channels we watch from analog to digital. They sent a letter out explaining the change and stating that either a cable box or cable card was going to be required to receive the digital channels after the switch. They also offered a free standard definition set-top box and remote control for 1 year if you reqested it (they say a $10/mo value). Since I don't want another box in my entertainment center, I called and asked if I could get a cable card for one of my Tivo boxes instead free for a year - they agreed.

Cable Company: Time Warner Cable (Dayton, OH)

The tech came out today to attemp an install. NOT GOOD. First thing I noticed is after the install, the screen on the Tivo stated Non MCard installed. It turned out that they sent the tech out with a basic cable card and not an MCard. The tech called their tech support and the person at tech support said that the cable card wasn't going to work with the Tivo box, but it was going to require a Tuning Adapter (another box) in addition to the cable card to work.

This doesn't seem right to me - I figured that the Tivo has tuners and if the cable card was installed in my Tivo, then I should be able to watch the digital stations without having to have a separate box connected to the Tivo. Am I missing something here?

Am I going to need another box connected to get digital channels on the Tivo?

The channels I get are basic calbe channels 2-73.

Never dealt with cable cards so figured I'd ask before the tech comes back tomorrow afternoon.

Any input from anyone???
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #570
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
I've had a Tivo Premiere for a few months and it works fine (have 2 HD's also), but these questions are about the Premiere.

All my Tivos do not have cable cards and I don't subscribe to any premium channels, etc.

Cable company just changed their lineup and converted some of the channels we watch from analog to digital. They sent a letter out explaining the change and stating that either a cable box or cable card was going to be required to receive the digital channels after the switch. They also offered a free standard definition set-top box and remote control for 1 year if you reqested it (they say a $10/mo value). Since I don't want another box in my entertainment center, I called and asked if I could get a cable card for one of my Tivo boxes instead free for a year - they agreed.

Cable Company: Time Warner Cable (Dayton, OH)

The tech came out today to attemp an install. NOT GOOD. First thing I noticed is after the install, the screen on the Tivo stated Non MCard installed. It turned out that they sent the tech out with a basic cable card and not an MCard. The tech called their tech support and the person at tech support said that the cable card wasn't going to work with the Tivo box, but it was going to require a Tuning Adapter (another box) in addition to the cable card to work.

This doesn't seem right to me - I figured that the Tivo has tuners and if the cable card was installed in my Tivo, then I should be able to watch the digital stations without having to have a separate box connected to the Tivo. Am I missing something here?

Am I going to need another box connected to get digital channels on the Tivo?

The channels I get are basic calbe channels 2-73.

Never dealt with cable cards so figured I'd ask before the tech comes back tomorrow afternoon.

Any input from anyone???
They are correct. If you have SDV (Switched Digital video) in your area then you would indeed need a tuning adapter. The cable card, just like the TIVo is unidirectional, and are not able to let the DNCS (Head End) know that you are on that SDV channel and to start sending it down to you.