TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #481
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Cable guy from comcast is on his way here to install. I have written some notes down but I sure hope he knows what he is doing. I am nervous and excited. Thank you ahead of time for the thread no matter what happens.
By now most cable card installers have had some experience with TiVo. You should be able to give him the cable card instruction sheet that came with your TiVo and be in good shape.

Here's a little TiVo step-by-step video about setting up your TiVo as well as links to the various cable card installation instructions...

TiVo Cable Card Setup Video: http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...ard/index.html

TiVo Premiere/Premiere XL Cable Card Setup: http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...021/redirect/1

TiVo HD/HDXL Cable Card Setup: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...10/r_id/100041

TiVo Series3 Cable Card Setup: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...10/r_id/100041

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #482
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
By now most cable card installers have had some experience with TiVo. You should be able to give him the cable card instruction sheet that came with your TiVo and be in good shape.

Here's a little TiVo step-by-step video about setting up your TiVo as well as links to the various cable card installation instructions...

TiVo HD/HDXL Cable Card Setup: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...10/r_id/100041

Enjoy!
thanks! Everything went well - once he realized that he had a MS card and not a S card. The Tivo told him that a couple times before he got it. But all is well and working. I have said it before, but I love this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #483
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
thanks! Everything went well - once he realized that he had a MS card and not a S card. The Tivo told him that a couple times before he got it. But all is well and working. I have said it before, but I love this forum.
Sweet! Enjoy your new TiVo!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #484
amelnik

Good reading, learned so much.
amelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #485
kimsmarkin

The access to the premium high-definition computer has escaped most of the futures prices as soon as we learned it was finally possible for anyone to add a Cable card tuner for almost any Media Centre We knew we had treat, and, above all, to share with you exactly how. This really does not require any hacking or anything illegal for that matter - who are not lawyers - but not cheap. The internal version of the ATI digital cable tuner above can be found on ebay for about $ 195, or new suppliers of PC and PC-barrel to just under $ 300.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kimsmarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #486
rmplum

I'm about 3 days into my Multistream cable card attempts on our TiVo HD.

First card was no good (couldn't be paired), the one I got yesterday seems ok, but having issues getting all of my channels to come through.

One interesting thing that happened was with the HDMI that I had been using to connect my TiVo to my Denon AVR - once the cable signal was input it kept giving me warnings that these channels cannot be viewed through HDMI, please install the component cables that came with your box. I had been using the HDMI for 2+ years with my OTA service, but the basic analog cable channels didn't like it. Worked fine for OTA.

Running component and optical now, and everything seems ok - except for the channels that I'm still not getting. I'm meeting the guys in the truck at my house in about an hour for our 3rd try.

Argh.
rmplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #487
budweisr33

Cable card install took 30 mins and went smooth,not a single issue.WOW cable,which has and is 1 of the best cable providers I have ever had,the CSR's awesome,the DVR never a problem,The tech's very well trained for the detroit area.
Network remote app. for I-pod Touch.
Scientific Alanta DVR<WOW>
Modified X-Box w/Media Center<500gb>
budweisr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #488
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by budweisr33 View Post
Cable card install took 30 mins and went smooth,not a single issue.WOW cable,which has and is 1 of the best cable providers I have ever had,the CSR's awesome,the DVR never a problem,The tech's very well trained for the detroit area.
It sounds like Comcast, TWC, Cox and a few others should send their employees to apprentice with WOW.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #489
budweisr33

I shall be working for WOW when my unemployment is over.great Employee benefits and good hours;4 days @ 10 hours or 5 days @ 8hrs with 3 shifts per day.
Network remote app. for I-pod Touch.
Scientific Alanta DVR<WOW>
Modified X-Box w/Media Center<500gb>
budweisr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #490
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by budweisr33 View Post
I shall be working for WOW when my unemployment is over.great Employee benefits and good hours;4 days @ 10 hours or 5 days @ 8hrs with 3 shifts per day.
Glad to be hear you'll be gainfully employed soon!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #491
necrochaos
Tivo N00b

After having a cablecard installed does it take for guide information to fill the new channels?

It's been a week and I have 4-5 HD channels that still have no guide info. Should I run guided setup again?
necrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #492
a68oliver

Probably not. If you can watch programming on the channelsl, but have no guide info, I don't think repeating guided setup will help.

See this Tivo troubleshooting FAQ for detailed info. If it doesn't get things fixed, then use the link at the bottom of the page to report the missing channels to Tivo.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/211
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #493
necrochaos
Tivo N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Probably not. If you can watch programming on the channelsl, but have no guide info, I don't think repeating guided setup will help.

See this Tivo troubleshooting FAQ for detailed info. If it doesn't get things fixed, then use the link at the bottom of the page to report the missing channels to Tivo.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/211
Well, I did do a guided setup again (before your reply). But this time, something weird happened. Not all of the channels were checked in channels list. the ones I had to check manually (to add them to the guide, including some basic channels) have TBA for over 3 hours. All my other basic/digitial channels have info. Still missing the same HD channels. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Turned off filters, didn't help. But I'm missing info from channels that I previously had.

So actually, I just put myself in a worse position.

Last edited by necrochaos : 09-09-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Forgot
necrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #494
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochaos View Post
Well, I did do a guided setup again (before your reply). But this time, something weird happened. Not all of the channels were checked in channels list. the ones I had to check manually (to add them to the guide, including some basic channels) have TBA for over 3 hours. All my other basic/digitial channels have info. Still missing the same HD channels. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Turned off filters, didn't help. But I'm missing info from channels that I previously had.

So actually, I just put myself in a worse position.
Did you try connecting to the mothership again? IIRC TiVo will only download guide data for the channels that you receive (the ones you've checked).

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

you might have to do that a couple of times to get everything. Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #495
dforemsky

Tomorrow, Verizon is coming out to install a cablecard in a new (to me) TivoHD, and hopefully replace the single stream cards in two other TivoHD units. (from everything I have seen on here, FiOS is all multi stream cards now, right?)

I am planning on pulling the existing single stream cards from the two older TivoHDs before the tech gets there. Do I need to do anything special before the tech puts the new multi stream card in? Will the Tivos recognize the card as a new one and reconfigure?

Should I give the single stream cards back to the tech? I was planning on keeping them and calling Verizon next week for a box to send the single stream cards back to them.
dforemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #496
a68oliver

Quote:
Did you try connecting to the mothership again? IIRC TiVo will only download guide data for the channels that you receive (the ones you've checked).
Rich, I don't think you recalled correctly. I just checked and I have program info for HBO, a channel I do not receive and do not have checked. I believe Tivo/Tribune Media Service attempts to provide program info for every channel that the cable company makes available whether you subscribe to it or not.

Although, as I check my list, I can see that I also have several channels that I don't subsribe to but are available from the cable company that have TBA listed for the program info.

Again, If the OP is sure he has selected the correct headend/lineup then the next step is to report the problem to Tivo with their Channel Lineup Trouble form listed ealier in the thread.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #497
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Rich, I don't think you recalled correctly. I just checked and I have program info for HBO, a channel I do not receive and do not have checked. I believe Tivo/Tribune Media Service attempts to provide program info for every channel that the cable company makes available whether you subscribe to it or not.

Although, as I check my list, I can see that I also have several channels that I don't subsribe to but are available from the cable company that have TBA listed for the program info.

Again, If the OP is sure he has selected the correct headend/lineup then the next step is to report the problem to Tivo with their Channel Lineup Trouble form listed ealier in the thread.
Got it. I haven't looked at that stuff for quite a while.

Yep, if after connecting a couple of times things don't get resolved, it would be time to talk to TiVo about it.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #498
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforemsky View Post
Tomorrow, Verizon is coming out to install a cablecard in a new (to me) TivoHD, and hopefully replace the single stream cards in two other TivoHD units. (from everything I have seen on here, FiOS is all multi stream cards now, right?)

I am planning on pulling the existing single stream cards from the two older TivoHDs before the tech gets there. Do I need to do anything special before the tech puts the new multi stream card in? Will the Tivos recognize the card as a new one and reconfigure?

Should I give the single stream cards back to the tech? I was planning on keeping them and calling Verizon next week for a box to send the single stream cards back to them.
Yes, the VZ tech should only have M cards on board.

Yes, TiVo will have no problem recognizing the new cable card. There's really no need to pull the old card(s) before he arrives. It only takes a few seconds and he can swap everything out at the same time. Then he just needs to access the cable card info screen and call in the Host ID, Serial #, etc. and you s/b good to go.

Here are the instructions JIC:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/135

FWIW he will probably only check a few key channels...hold him up for a few more minutes and be sure all of your premiums are working as well. There are more than a few stories about some but not all channels working and it's worth it to be sure. It's happened to me a couple of times and after spending time on the phone it was resolved, but it's aggravating to have to follow up when you can check and be sure while the tech is there.

The S cards belong to VZ. If you give them to the tech he should note it (along with their Serial numbers) on your work order.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #499
dforemsky

Quote:
Y
The S cards belong to VZ. If you give them to the tech he should note it (along with their Serial numbers) on your work order.
Thanks for your help. I have every intention of returning the cards, I just wanted to avoid the possibility of a truck roll fee since two of the three Tivos already have Cable Cards.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #500
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforemsky View Post
Thanks for your help. I have every intention of returning the cards, I just wanted to avoid the possibility of a truck roll fee since two of the three Tivos already have Cable Cards.
Never doubted you'd return them...just wanted to advise that you make sure you have a record of them being returned JIC. Let us know how things go.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #501
kellykhori

I had two cable cards installed by TWC yesterday. The tech said he had never done a TIVO before. I took him 1 hour and 45 minutes on my Series 3. He was very polite and understanding.
kellykhori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #502
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykhori View Post
I had two cable cards installed by TWC yesterday. The tech said he had never done a TIVO before. I took him 1 hour and 45 minutes on my Series 3. He was very polite and understanding.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info. Seems pretty rare to have techs that haven't seen a TiVo these days, but it happens. He might have been new to the job as well I suppose. Glad to hear he was able to get things going though.

Don't be a stranger!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #503
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Yes, the VZ tech should only have M cards on board.
Nah, a good VZ tech will have access to either S cards or M cards, and will know that some TiVos require one type, some require another type. My VZ tech earlier this year knew this!
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #504
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Nah, a good VZ tech will have access to either S cards or M cards, and will know that some TiVos require one type, some require another type. My VZ tech earlier this year knew this!
Oh...you know better..the Series3 can use two S or two M cable cards. (FWIW our S3 has two M cards) The TiVo HD/HDXL can use two S or one M card and the TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL require one M card.

FWIW the VZ tech that I spoke to a couple of months ago said that they haven't had S cards for about a year. AFAIK that's pretty much the case nationally although some could be scrounging around in an old box of supplies out back I suppose.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #505
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Rich,
I sprung for the HD from Block Buster yesterday cause I was starting to get shaky. Brighthouse let me call in the CC info . I had 1 S card and 1 M card (SA) from the defective S3. I used the M card in slot 1 and Tivo saw it and poped up the MMI screen. I gave Brighthouse the SN from the card and the Host ID from the MMI screen. All is good except for a few of the copy protected channels that I should be getting.

When I select 1 of these channels the MMI screen pops up. I used the info from Tivo Support to determine on the CP info screen that the card is not bound and paired with the slot.

It says: Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth.

Any thoughts on how to get BHN to fix it? I called a few times but they are not getting me. I do have a truck roll for Sunday if I can't get it before then.

Thanks.
Robb

Robbdoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #506
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Rich,
I sprung for the HD from Block Buster yesterday cause I was starting to get shaky. Brighthouse let me call in the CC info . I had 1 S card and 1 M card (SA) from the defective S3. I used the M card in slot 1 and Tivo saw it and poped up the MMI screen. I gave Brighthouse the SN from the card and the Host ID from the MMI screen. All is good except for a few of the copy protected channels that I should be getting.

When I select 1 of these channels the MMI screen pops up. I used the info from Tivo Support to determine on the CP info screen that the card is not bound and paired with the slot.

It says: Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth.

Any thoughts on how to get BHN to fix it? I called a few times but they are not getting me. I do have a truck roll for Sunday if I can't get it before then.

Thanks.
Robb
Almost there I see! Believe me, I fully understand why you wouldn't want to go w/o TiVo one minute longer! Cool that your cableco is progressive enough to let you call in the numbers. However the problem with some of the channels sounds like an authorization issue and it's almost certainly on BHN's end. Unless you can convince someone on the other end of the phone to start from scratch and re-pair/bind the card once again you'll probably have to wait fof the tech to do it.

It's remotely possible that something is up with the cable card, a firmware issue or something, but really not likely as you'd probably see issues across the board.

If the tech has a new cable card with him, it might be worthwhile to have him install that one...at least you'll get a fresh start.

Let us know how things go!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #507
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Yep. I could not wait another minute. I figure I can always sell the refurb S3 when it arrives or I can use it . Just don't tell the Mrs.

I'm thinking the card is good since I just got all the channels that I'm now missing on the S3 a few days ago with that card. I'm sure it is on BHN's end. The truck roll is from 8-10am so I will wait till then and just let them figure it out. It sounds like the card is activated but not validated to me.

Once this is all done I just need to figure out how to sneek a 1TB drive into the house . Shhhhh!

Robb

Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #508
Robbdoe1
Tivo Obsessed

Well that went great. I'm all set now .

We could have saved a truck roll though. They had the CC paired wrong. I spoke to 3 CS reps and confirmed the numbers 2 times Friday and 1 time Saturday to avoid a truck roll and they all confirmed the numbers were correct. The installer called in and the numbers were wrong. They had the CC SN wrong and the Host Id wrong. Oh well.

Thanks again for the help.

Robb

Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #509
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbdoe1 View Post
Well that went great. I'm all set now .

We could have saved a truck roll though. They had the CC paired wrong. I spoke to 3 CS reps and confirmed the numbers 2 times Friday and 1 time Saturday to avoid a truck roll and they all confirmed the numbers were correct. The installer called in and the numbers were wrong. They had the CC SN wrong and the Host Id wrong. Oh well.

Thanks again for the help.

Robb
Details, details! Glad to hear that you're all set...finally. Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #510
dforemsky

Quote:
Never doubted you'd return them...just wanted to advise that you make sure you have a record of them being returned JIC. Let us know how things go.
Everything went fine. Less than an hour to put multi-stream cards in three TivoHDs (most of the time spent typing numbers into the tech's activation program. Why isn't this more automated?)

He tried to get authorization to take the single stream cards and set top box, but he couldn't and said that I would be better off calling for a return box anyway. (if you do that, they go directly to the department than can take the items off of your bill, but if he took them it may take a couple of steps to get to the right department)

All in all, pretty painless once he got there. A little annoyed since the appointment was for between 1 and 5 on Friday. The tech called my home number on Friday morning to say that he would be there between 12 and 2, called again at 12:30 that he would more likely be there between 2:30 and 3:30 and finally arrived at 3:15.