TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
mcf57

Question Is this the original remote?

I was possibly interested in a TiVo for sale from someone locally on Craigslist. They claim "It is in great condition, I have the manual and original remote". From the pic, I am thinking this is not the original remote though, correct (pic below)? It looks like a Premiere remote, but maybe I am mistaken. Is that even a glo remote (sort of what i am interested more in)

mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
squint

http://www.tivopedia.com/model-tivo-tivohd-xl.php

That says the Tivo HD XL comes with a Glo remote. My two non-XL Tivo HDs came with more basic black remotes.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

That does appear to be the glow remote in the picture.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
unitron

See those 4 colored buttons right above the number buttons?

That means the remote came from something newer than any of the Series 3 models

I don't know if that one has the backlight or not.

Ask the seller if they have a TiVo that's newer than the one they're selling and if they may have gotten the remotes switched.

If you'll post or PM me a link to that Craigslist listing I'll take a look and see if there are any more "red flags", and whether it's worth what they're asking.

I have entirely too much experience in perusing North Carolina Craigslist postings.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
mcf57

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
See those 4 colored buttons right above the number buttons?

That means the remote came from something newer than any of the Series 3 models

Yea, this is about what I figured. I have some Premieres and was 99% sure these 4 colored buttons were for Premiere models and newer, but maybe I was not aware of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I don't know if that one has the backlight or not.

Ask the seller if they have a TiVo that's newer than the one they're selling and if they may have gotten the remotes switched.
I emailed the person and they replied with this:

I'm not 100% certain. I have two tivos and never used either's remote.

They said they were basically using universal remotes before. Therefore, you may be right and they have it switched in the pic with a newer unit. To be honest, I was interested in it more for parts anyway. The glo remote for our bedroom tivo and 1TB drive for a failed 160GB drive in a lifetime unit I have.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
teasip

My original TiVoHD remote does not have those buttons. Since my remote buttons are becoming less pressure sensitive I have given consideration to upgrading to a glo since I guess I'll keep the HD as opposed to upgrading to Roamio. FiOS isn't causing me to miss any channels with MPEG-4 that I want to see anyway. Can't beat free...
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

BTW, although it's not the original, they are compatible. However, I assume the seller has another TiVo that runs the HDUI, which actually needs the A/B/C/D buttons, so it would be regrettable to swap the remotes.

I personally had never seen a remote that combined a silver border and the A/B/C/D buttons, until now. My Premiere remotes look similar, but the outer borders are black; and my S3 remotes have the silver borders, but not the buttons. Anyway, whatever this model is, TiVo.com doesn't seem to sell it anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
mcf57

Cool

Well, this TiVo apparently got sold (in less than 2 days) and is no longer available. I missed it so no need to worry about it at this point. Oh well.