TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #151
jfh3

Mike - don't let bicker get to you.

Your points were well taken and I read the FCC filing and the Tivo comments the same way - things are certainly well beyond the "we have an idea on how to solve this" stage.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #152
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
They put deadlines in their regulations all the time, last sale of devices with NTSC-only OTA tuners for example. They also had a deadline for when cable company STBs must use cable cards.
Precisely.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #153
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_camden
And here's a situation in which I believe you are ignorant of the politics involved in the working of regulatory bodies.
I used to work for a regulatory body (though, like you, not the FCC). I'm saying what I'm saying is true despite the politics involved. You're asserting that there is a time limit -- an assertion for which there is simply no foundation.

Quote:
Regulatory agencies put deadlines on the implementation of their regulations all of the time; sometimes they even enforce those deadlines
And my point is that when they don't put in deadlines, then there aren't any beyond those imposed by the marketplace. (Eventually, the product being discussed won't even be relevant.)

Quote:
Congressional interest in an issue (regardless of an already established deadline) tunrs the heat up on all parties.
That's effectively non-sequitur. Again, with respect, there is a lot of innuendo and conspiracy woven into what you're writing, and again, I see no foundation for any of it. I think you are going to have to be more concrete and specific in what you're saying for it to really hold water.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #154
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
I ain't no engineer, actually know very little about the hardware side (30 years in software development), but this doesn't sound like something that would require 12-18 months of development and launch.

I'm the optomist who believes that this has already been designed and ready for manufacture and testing and was only awaiting approval. I'm sticking with the expectation of a launch by Comcast in the first quarter of 2008.
I love your optimism...but it's unrealistic.

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
1 TiVo Stream - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #155
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_anders
I love your optimism...but it's unrealistic.
I also believe that if the Pirates win their last 23 games they will be in the playoffs.

jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #156
davecramer74

Quote:
I'm sticking with the expectation of a launch by Comcast in the first quarter of 2008.
thats a pretty high expectation. They signed a deal with tivo in 2005 for their software, its almost 2008. And being in software for the last 11 years, 2+ years development time to port it to new hardware seems like an awfully longtime dont you think? Comcast is always late with their new stuff. Id be amazed if you saw this solution 1st qtr 2009. By then, their will be a standard for 2way coms and tivo will be putting a new box out with the hardware and software to support it.
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #157
MickeS

Since I didn't have cable HD before today, I didn't care. Now I say DAMN YOU TIVO, hurry up!
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #158
StuffOfInterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
Well, the thought of having to split the cable line at every TiVo that needs a dongle ( ) is a problem for many people as their signals are marginal - at best. If it won't work with a signal amp, then it really would be a problem. With that said...
Rather than a splitter they could use a tap. A tap only takes a small percentage of the signal so the main channel is not seriously degraded. For that matter, the tap could be built into the dongle itself so your cable would hit the dongle and then continue from there on up to the TiVo.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #159
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest
Rather than a splitter they could use a tap. A tap only takes a small percentage of the signal so the main channel is not seriously degraded. For that matter, the tap could be built into the dongle itself so your cable would hit the dongle and then continue from there on up to the TiVo.
Another factor is that only the low frequency band used for the reverse data channel needs to be split out.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #160
MichaelK

so would it be more like a diplexer then a splitter?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #161
ares

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
Ummm.. I don't have a cable modem. I have a DSL modem. So any Internet connection would be out through the wild Internet.

Am I the only S3 user getting their broadband through DSL? So many of these posts begin with "use the TiVo ethernet connection to your cable modem" that I am wondering if I am in the miniscule minority.
assuming i had an s3, i'd be in the same camp as you, as i prefer my isp to be an internet service provider instead of an internet content provider. i've personally got a netblock of 16 ip's which i couldn't get from any cable company anywhere for the price i pay my isp for them.
ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #162
bradcapo2

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.
bradcapo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #163
bradcapo2

Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!
bradcapo2 is offline   Reply With Quote