TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Which 1TB Internal Drive Do You Suggest?
Western Digital - WD10EVVS 4 26.67%
Western Digital - WD10EVDS 0 0%
Western Digital - WD10EACS 1 6.67%
Western Digital - WD10EADS 8 53.33%
Seagate - ST31000424CS 0 0%
Seagate - ST31000322CS 0 0%
Seagate - ST31000533CS 0 0%
Hitachi - HDT721010SLA360 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Airhead315
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 106
Which 1TB drive do you recommend for the TivoHD

I will be upgrading my Tivo soon to a 1TB drive. I want everyone’s opinion on their favorite drive. I realize that the FAQ wouldn’t have this information simply because it is ones personal opinion but I am interested in what the community consensus is.

Last edited by Airhead315 : 08-01-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
Ink Noise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 20
I'm not an authority on the subject by any means but I purchased a TiVo HD about two weeks ago and upgraded it to 1TB with a new WD10EADS that I had lying around. It's been chugging along great for this time, near silent, the TiVo still runs cool. Although most guides suggest the VV version of the drive is designed for PVRs, if you don't already have a drive to use, you might as well get that one.
Ink Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
moxie1617
Registered User
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Metro area
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I will be upgrading my Tivo soon to a 1TB drive. I want everyone’s opinion on their favorite drive. I realize that the FAQ wouldn’t have this information simply because it is ones personal opinion but I am interested in what the community consensus is.
Actually the FAQ isn't just one persons opinion. If you would have read some more you would have found out that is based on the successes and failures of members experiences. I suggest you read more and post less.

Airhead is an appropiate handle for you.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Airhead315
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
Actually the FAQ isn't just one persons opinion. If you would have read some more you would have found out that is based on the successes and failures of members experiences. I suggest you read more and post less.

Airhead is an appropiate handle for you.
You appear to have misinterpreted where I said "one persons opinion" I meant that the answer to the question I am asking is ones personal opinion. Not the contents of the FAQ. I wouldn’t have written that then only included Drives recommended by the FAQ if I thought the FAQ was personal opinion.

The problem is that the FAQ recommends 9 different drives for the Tivo HD. I want to know which of those 9 drives has had the greatest success within the community.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
moxie1617
Registered User
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Metro area
Posts: 345
Fair enough.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
The problem is that the FAQ recommends 9 different drives for the Tivo HD. I want to know which of those 9 drives has had the greatest success within the community.
All are equal, aside from noise and heat?

A drive doesn't get added to the list if people report problems with it. And if a new version of the drive is released that is no longer fully compatible, then it gets removed from the list.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
csell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post
I'm not an authority on the subject by any means but I purchased a TiVo HD about two weeks ago and upgraded it to 1TB with a new WD10EADS that I had lying around. It's been chugging along great for this time, near silent, the TiVo still runs cool. Although most guides suggest the VV version of the drive is designed for PVRs, if you don't already have a drive to use, you might as well get that one.
Can you elaborate on the 'VV' versions? I'm not sure what you are looking for. Like the creator of this thread, I'm looking to upgrade my tivo hd harddrive (because it died). Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any restrictions on the type of drive (besides it having to be SATA). There was a reference to an FAQ that discusses this. Where's this FAQ?

Thanks
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Can you elaborate on the 'VV' versions? I'm not sure what you are looking for. Like the creator of this thread, I'm looking to upgrade my tivo hd harddrive (because it died). Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any restrictions on the type of drive (besides it having to be SATA). There was a reference to an FAQ that discusses this. Where's this FAQ?
Like most of the must-read threads, it is stickied to the top of this forum.

Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ

The above thread includes a list of recommended drives, instructions, and answers to common questions.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Airhead315
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
All are equal, aside from noise and heat?

A drive doesn't get added to the list if people report problems with it. And if a new version of the drive is released that is no longer fully compatible, then it gets removed from the list.
I know how hard you worked on that FAQ and it’s obvious that you are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board. But I don’t agree with your statement. I don’t believe that all of those drives are created equal. The comment in the FAQ states that the EVVS drive is the drive of choice. However, I have heard that most people are going with the WD EADS drive. The poll supports that although I don’t believe the results to be significant enough with only 4 responses.

The list contains Seagate and Hitachi drives as well... I highly doubt that everyone agrees that all of the drives on the list rated as 10 in noise level are equal especially between manufacturers. I would love to hear user opinion on whether they believe a specific drive to be faster, with regards to the Tivo, if it has a 32mb cache as opposed to a 8mb cache. Also, you mention heat in your comment but I can’t seem to find information anywhere detailing which drives run hot and which ones run cool. This would be very valuable information when making a choice.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I know how hard you worked on that FAQ and it’s obvious that you are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board. But I don’t agree with your statement.
A dual-tuner DVR is not a demanding application. For a desktop, performance will certainly vary between some models. But for a DVR like the TiVo, there is no noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
The comment in the FAQ states that the EVVS drive is the drive of choice. However, I have heard that most people are going with the WD EADS drive. The poll supports that although I don’t believe the results to be significant enough with only 4 responses.
The WD10EVVS comes pre-tuned for lowest possible noise. The WD10EADS does not, so you have to run a utility like Hitachi Feature Tool to change the AAM setting on the drive. That's not a big deal, but it's one extra step that is unnecessary with the WD10EVVS. If you don't change the AAM setting on the WD10EADS, then it won't run as quiet. After you change the AAM setting, there should be no noticeable difference.

The added cache on the WD10EADS can make a significant difference on a desktop computer, but it makes no difference in the TiVo. There is not even a minor difference. Disk usage on a TiVo is almost entirely random I/O, and extra cache does not help with random I/O. Many have opted for the WD10EADS because they (a) prefer to buy from Newegg.com, which does not sell other models, and/or (b) were able to find it for significantly less on sale. People have found the WD10EADS for as low as $75-$79. In contrast, the WD10EVVS starts at $90-$95 shipped.

The WD10EADS is not listed in the FAQ because most revisions are not compatible with the older TiVo Series3. I used to list some drives for specific models, but that caused all sorts of confusion; people bought the wrong drive for their model. So now, I only list drives that work with both. If a drive is compatible with both TiVo models, then there's a good chance that it will be compatible with a future (next-generation) TiVo, too.

Fyi, I own one WD10EVVS and three WD10EADS. I've tested both in the TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
The list contains Seagate and Hitachi drives as well... I highly doubt that everyone agrees that all of the drives on the list rated as 10 in noise level are equal especially between manufacturers.
If you used a microphone, I'm sure you could measure the differences between those drives.

A rating of 10 essentially means the drive is inaudible from more than a few feet away (with nothing else running) to people that are sensitive to noise. None of the drives listed are loud, and you are not going to hear any of them over your TV speakers.

Some of the ratings are based on personal experience from myself and others that have tested multiple drives. When I was not able to to obtain a noise comparison for a model at TCF, I relied on the comparisons and comments at SilentPCReview.com and other forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I would love to hear user opinion on whether they believe a specific drive to be faster, with regards to the Tivo, if it has a 32mb cache as opposed to a 8mb cache. Also, you mention heat in your comment but I can’t seem to find information anywhere detailing which drives run hot and which ones run cool. This would be very valuable information when making a choice.
None of these drives run "cool" in a DVR. But the 5400-5900rpm models run "cooler" than the rest. The 7200rpm models, like the Hitachi, tend to produce more heat. None of the 7200rpm drives in the list run hot enough to cause problems for the TiVo.

Last edited by bkdtv : 08-02-2009 at 12:44 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
Airhead315
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
A dual-tuner DVR is not a demanding application. For a desktop, performance will certainly vary between some models. But for a DVR like the TiVo, there is no noticeable difference.

The WD10EVVS comes pre-tuned for lowest possible noise. The WD10EADS does not, so you have to run a utility like Hitachi Feature Tool to change the AAM setting on the drive. That's not a big deal, but it's one extra step that is unnecessary with the WD10EVVS. If you don't change the AAM setting on the WD10EADS, then it won't run as quiet. After you change the AAM setting, there should be no noticeable difference.

The added cache on the WD10EADS can make a significant difference on a desktop computer, but it makes no difference in the TiVo. There is not even a minor difference. Disk usage on a TiVo is almost entirely random I/O, and extra cache does not help with random I/O. Many have opted for the WD10EADS because they (a) prefer to buy from Newegg.com, which does not sell other models, and/or (b) were able to find it for significantly less on sale. People have found the WD10EADS for as low as $75-$79. In contrast, the WD10EVVS starts at $90-$95 shipped.

The WD10EADS is not listed in the FAQ because most revisions are not compatible with the older TiVo Series3. I used to list some drives for specific models, but that caused all sorts of confusion; people bought the wrong drive for their model. So now, I only list drives that work with both. If a drive is compatible with both TiVo models, then there's a good chance that it will be compatible with a future (next-generation) TiVo, too.

Fyi, I own one WD10EVVS and three WD10EADS. I've tested both in the TiVo.

If you used a microphone, I'm sure you could measure the differences between those drives.

A rating of 10 essentially means the drive is inaudible from more than a few feet away (with nothing else running) to people that are sensitive to noise. None of the drives listed are loud, and you are not going to hear any of them over your TV speakers.

Some of the ratings are based on personal experience from myself and others that have tested multiple drives in the TiVo. When I was not able to to obtain a noise comparison for a model at TCF, I relied on the comparisons and comments at SilentPCReview.com.

None of these drives run "cool" in a DVR. But the 5400-5900rpm models run coolest than the rest. The 7200rpm models, like the Hitachi, tend to produce more heat. None of the 7200rpm drives in the list run hot enough to cause problems for the TiVo.

Great information. I couldnt decide whether to go with the EADS or the EVVS but now it sounds like I should go with whichever one I can find the best deal on.

Thanks!
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 12,609
I like using the Hitachi with the TiVoHD. It works better than the Green WD and makes things a little quicker. With the Hitachi, it's closer to the performance of the original S3 using a WD green drive.(the original S3 performance is much better than the TiVoHD with both units using the same type of drive)(I'm talking about performance like getting the audio back when you skip forward. The S3 is almost instant while the TiVoHD has more of a delay. Using the Hitachi minimizes this delay when compared to teh WD green drive.)
Although with the Hitachi you need to change the Acoustical Management setting to 191 to get it quiet and quick.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x2
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
...it sounds like I should go with whichever one I can find the best deal on.
Unless you're concerned w/noise in which case the WD10EADS is louder. However it can be set to the same AAM specs as the EVVS manually.

As others have said, read the sticky thread in full. Although he was polite, making the author repost what is already there is not good forum etiquette (or use of his time) and will likely draw a few flames. The sticky is the result of hundreds of forum member's input and constantly updated.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I like using the Hitachi with the TiVoHD. It works better than the Green WD and makes things a little quicker. With the Hitachi, it's closer to the performance of the original S3 using a WD green drive.(the original S3 performance is much better than the TiVoHD with both units using the same type of drive)
That's interesting. Our S3 and HD both have WD GP drives and both respond equally to any command (audio is there instantly on both units after FF, etc.). I guess I'd have to put a Hitachi in either/both to better judge it, but with respect to one or the other being better or worse with the WD GP drives, I haven't run into any differences.

I may be in the market for another backup drive so I might give the Hitachi a whirl to see if it's any speedier. Which model are you using?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 12,609
I'm pretty sure it's the one listed. It's not the one specific to video.

IN my setups, through a receiver with HDMI, with Native mode output, the Hitachi and the WD green drive have been noticeably different in performance in the TiVoHD.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x2
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
IN my setups, through a receiver with HDMI, with Native mode output, the Hitachi and the WD green drive have been noticeably different in performance in the TiVoHD.
That might be the difference, although I'm not sure why. Ours are both HDMI directly to LCD flat panel TV's and TOSlink digital out from TiVo to a receiver.

In any case, I'm always up for an experiment, so when it comes time to do some drive buying I may give the Hitachi a go and see what happens.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |