TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Follow Who?

Cox Hampton Roads Cable Cards-No Truck Roll Needed!

I finally had enough with Cox's tiny hard drive in their DVR and decided to head back to TiVo. I ordered my TiVo this morning and then called Cox to set up a cablecard install. When I called the guy informed me that no install was needed and they would just send me the cards and let me do the install myself! I always heard you had to pay for a truck roll and then sit there and tell the guy how to do it correctly. I was obviously very pleased. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Saxion
Substantive Member

Interesting! In their latest (Sept 22) report to the FCC, Cox is still saying that 100% of their CableCARD installs require a truck roll. Perhaps this signals a very recent change in policy at Cox.

Note that Comcast and Time Warner already allow some CableCARD self-installs.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
classicsat
Astute User

A truck roll has always simply been policy.
There is no technical nor security reason to not have customer installs, to trusted customers anyways.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow Who? View Post
they would just send me the cards and let me do the install myself
Can you let us know how this goes? Did they give you a local phone number to call to activate them, or did it appear to be a regional/national number? I'm just curious as to whether this is a local policy change in your market, or if things are being put into place on a larger scale.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Follow Who?

I'll let you know how it goes down. When i called he asked what the cards were for. I told him a TiVo. After getting my address and other stuff he then said "you should have the cards on Tuesday." I then said that my wife and I both work so we can't be there for an install during the week so Saturday is best. He then said that they were just sending me the cards, so that does not matter. He said they should be delivered tomorrow (Tuesday.)

I also asked if I could request a single M-Card, but he said that the TiVo order screen just lists two single cards to be sent. He said that he would add that I am requesting an M-Card in the notes but did not know if that would do anything. I let him know I did not want to pay for 2 cards and he said that it DID show that only a single card fee would be charged.

I'd love to think all of this is true and Cox has gotten their act together with TiVo. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Follow Who? : 10-06-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Follow Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Follow Who?

I should have known better!

My wife called me to let me know a package had arrived from Cox today. I rushed home after work to see if I had gotten an M-Card or 2 S-cards. When I got home and opened the box I had......

A cable box.

Even more frustrating was that it was not just any cable box, it was a Motorola DCT-700. For those who don't know what that is, it's the small form factor cable box that is the exact same case that they are using for the tuning adapter. So for the first few minutes I thought I even got a tuning adapter as well. My wife thought I was crazy after I started doing fist pumps on the couch. But when I dug deeper in the box and did not see any cable cards I found a remote control. That is when I figured it out.

I called Cox and got a new tech who was very nice and apologized for the mix up, but he told me that I was given incorrect information and they had to do a truck roll.

It's not the end of the world because I'm back where I always thought I would be, but the fantasy was nice while it lasted. Here's hoping the TiVo gets here before Saturday.

I'll let you know how the install goes.

Last edited by Follow Who? : 10-08-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Follow Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Just more cable stupidity. Truck rolls to let the technician call in the same numbers you can give them is just silly.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
Saxion
Substantive Member

When will cable CSRs learn what a friggin CableCARD is. They created the damn thing in their own research lab. Pathetic.

You should get them to do the truck roll for free. They screwed up, gave you incorrect information, sent you the wrong equipment, and delayed your installation. Complain up the chain until someone agrees.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
milo99

geez. it's ridiculous. i called Cox tech support yesterday because on one of my cards/tuners, the newly subscribed to showtime channels aren't showing up.

First, the lady was thinking i had a cable box. Um, you have my account in front of you, i have CABLECARDS. So when i told her i have cable cards in a Tivo, after she 're-hit' my cards she asked me to turn off and on my TV.

Uh huh.

I said, my tv? why? she responded that i have cable cards right? And i said yes, but they're in my TIVO not my TV.

Oh ok, she says, then restart your cablebox.

ARRrggggg.

Interestingly, couldn't get the showtime to work after a couple of rehits and Tivo reboots. So she said i can have a new card delivered or i can pick one up.

I was like, huh? I thought I'm not supposed to touch the cable cards?

i'm still going to ask for the truck roll. Considering how many times people get bad cards, i'd rather have a guy come with several in his pocket and try to get this to work. it's odd that only the newly subscribed channels aren't showing up.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
Follow Who?

Well, It appears my luck with the TiVo install continues to get worse. My TiVo HD arrived today and I hooked it up and powered it on. It then got to the TiVo intro movie and then went back to the "powering up" screen. Then it did it again. And again. I called TiVo support and after talking to 2 different techs the determined I got a bad TiVo. It is stuck in a power-up loop. It's gonna take almost two weeks for the mail exchange so I decided to just return the thing. I may go pick one up at Best Buy tomorrow and keep my install, or I may just scrap the whole thing. So far it has not been a very fun process. First the cable cards and now this. Re-arranging my equipment rack to get it in and then take it out and put the cable box back was a several hour process that I'm not real excited to face again.