TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
xfm

Loss of HDMI video sync with TiVo through A/V Receiver

I am experiencing a problem that I have been unable to find discussed anywhere on this forum.

I have a TiVo Series 3 DVR connected via HDMI 1 input to my Sony STR-DA5200ES AVR, one of Sony's "flagship" receivers. It has been in service since late last year and used to operate reliably as I navigated menus, guides, etc.

Over the last 4-5 months, I am experiencing an increasingly frequent loss of HDMI video sync (symptom: total white noise/snow picture with sound) when I enter the TiVo menu system from watching live TV or DVR recordings. Apparently, the transition creates a momentary signal "gap" or interruption which the 5200ES cannot deal with. I also have a TiVo HD on the HDMI 2 input and occasionally experience a similar problem, but much less frequently, and less severe recovery, than with the S3 unit on the HDMI 1 input. The only remedy is to press the "Guide" button on the TiVo remote, which exits the menu system, and puts the unit back on Live TV. Sometimes it takes two or three attempts before I can get a clean menu picture to proceed through my 5200ES to my TV. It's very frustrating when you have relatively high-end A/V hardware and experience the apparent inability of "standard" interfaces to properly communicate.

I don't remember if this started after one of the TiVo software updates, but it's quite possible.

It's pretty clearly related to the HDMI video signal lock between the TiVo and the 5200ES, because I have the component output of the TiVo Series 3 (and the TiVo HD) running simultaneously to my upstairs TVs and I have never experienced loss of video from the component feed.

Has anyone experienced any similar loss of video signal lock with HDMI when going through their A/V receiver? or directly to TV?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct, or at least neutralize, this phenomenon?
xfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
theGliberal
Time out for fun...

Is it Sony?

I have the Sony HT-SS2300 system and a Sony KDL-32XBR6 LCD TV. The S3 is connected to the receiver via the satellite HDMI port. The TV connects via HDMI to the receiver.

I make use of the Bravia Sync features to turn on both the receiver and the TV at the same time through the receiver remote. If the TV powers up and the receiver does not, the S3 picture still shows on the TV. However, the video blinks on and off like the S3 is trying to negotiate with the receiver. The only solution is to turn off the TV and unplug the receiver.

I've had the S3 for a long time, but got the TV and receiver in August. So I can't relate this to a TiVo update.
theGliberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
xfm

FWIW, problem appears to be solved.

I had the output resolution set to 'Native' which caused S3 to reformat when going from HD source material to TiVo menus (SD). The 1-2 second pause to do this apparently caused the HDMI signal dropout and loss of sync with the A/V Receiver.

I changed the output res to 'Hybrid' and the problem appears to be resolved. No longer get the blank screen when going from one mode (eg, live tv) to another (eg, menu mode). Have not experienced signal loss since I switched over to 'Hybrid' output mode.
xfm is offline   Reply With Quote