TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
nathanziarek

"ESPN2HD doesn't work with CableCard"

So, ever since we got ESPN2HD in Milwaukee, I've been unable to tune it. All I get are "On Demand" ads non-stop. I finally broke down and called TW (eventually there will be stuff I want to watch) and got nowhere. "That channel doesn't even exist until the end of August"

Frustrated, I went to their website and found that, as I thought, it does exist. I mention it to the rep and she tells me that I'm going to have to have a tech come out. Earliest time is Friday at 7:30am.

Wake up early on Friday (part of my vacation, BTW) and the shows up right away. I tell him the problem and he says that ESPN2 doesn't work with CableCard. He double checks with his manager. Doesn't know why, just doesn't work.

I call TW again and she verifies. Also doesn't know why. And can't do anything for me. I'm paying the same amount monthly for HD but getting a lesser product.

I've been through the SDV thread, but didn't see any mention of Milwaukee (nor did I find mention of SDV on TW Milwaukee's site). Could this be something different? Should I attempt to somehow involve TiVo in the discussion?

Frustrating!!!

Nate
Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
moyekj

Perhaps the channel map for the cablecards is not correct (maps the RF channel/sub-channel to the cable channel number).

Tune to ESPN2HD on your Tivo and then go to Diagnostics page and note the frequency that it reports for that channel.

Then try and get hold of a knowledgeable cable tech and ask them what frequency ESPN2HD is supposed to be on and then report the frequency that your Tivo is tuning to for that channel.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-17-2007 at 07:21 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Hawaii Too

I have Time Warner here in Hawaii. I also was told that I would not be able to receive ESPD2HD with a cablecard.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
jrm01

The TW site for Milwaukee specifically mentions that some channels will not be available for cc customers. Sounds definately like they are using SDV for some channels.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
WeBoat

Comcast here in SW FL... I don't get 5 HD channels. I got everything else, including HD HBO and other encrypted HD ones. ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are two of the ones I don't get. They are trying to tell me that it's not going to work with the Tivo, but havn't given up on it yet. Luckily I have a supervisor who keeps trying to find out why.
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
cdp1276

TW here in Rochester and also doesn't come in with CableCard's. The channel was just added to our lineup this week.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
adamsd

A couple of months ago TW added ESPN2HD in San Diego. When tuning to that channel on my Tivo I get a screen telling me that I need a converter box in order to receive the channel. When calling TW they informed me that the deal they have with ESPN is that the channel is not available via cable card. There was no mention of SDV so I am not sure if that is the problem, since I do not think they are using SDV in San Diego yet. From the conversations with TW it seems like some kind of contract issue, which makes no sense to me. I notified the FCC thinking that something illegal was going on here. The FCC told me I needed to contact my local franchising authority, which I did last week. I still have not heard anything back from them. This seems like just another way the cable companies are punishing people for using cable cards and not renting their useless boxes. I wish Tivo would step in help out their customers.
adamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
rainwater

So I wonder what happens to users with the new cable boxes that use M-Cards?
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
So I wonder what happens to users with the new cable boxes that use M-Cards?
No problems. Those boxes are still equipped with the 2-way OOB communications needed for SDV, VOD, etc. The problem has nothing to do with Cablecards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
No problems. Those boxes are still equipped with the 2-way OOB communications needed for SDV, VOD, etc. The problem has nothing to do with Cablecards.
Well, it appears this isn't a VOD or SDV issue. If the channel is available, yet they aren't mapping them on CableCards, it seems it is a CableCard issue. At least, TW just doesn't want to allow CC users to get the channel it seems.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Well, it appears this isn't a VOD or SDV issue. If the channel is available, yet they aren't mapping them on CableCards, it seems it is a CableCard issue. At least, TW just doesn't want to allow CC users to get the channel it seems.
I guess I misunderstood what you were saying - I thought the implication in your post was that the new M-card boxes can't tune the channel either since it's implemented as SDV. This particular problem may or may not be related to SDV - I don't think it's been established either way yet. Seeing as it's TW however it wouldn't be surprising to find that it is SDV related.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
showard594

No ESPN-HD with cable cards? That is a deal breaker for me. I was going to get 2 boxes today at CC and I am glad I saw this post. Is it absolute? I live in San Diego and was all set to return my 2 HD DVRs and get cable cards installed. The rep said nothing about me losing 2 of my HD channels but then I did not ask.

un-w00t to Time Warner
showard594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by showard594
No ESPN-HD with cable cards? That is a deal breaker for me. I was going to get 2 boxes today at CC and I am glad I saw this post. Is it absolute? I live in San Diego and was all set to return my 2 HD DVRs and get cable cards installed. The rep said nothing about me losing 2 of my HD channels but then I did not ask.

un-w00t to Time Warner
I don't think this is a nation wide problem with Time Warner.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
Sprk Jonz

I live in Orange County, CA, I have a Series 3 and Time Warner Cable. TW confirmed for me that ESPN2 HD is not available to those of us without their boxes - just like everyone else has said on this thread. ESPN HD is fine, it's just ESPN2 that's a problem. Odd.

Ah the sacrifices we make for Tivo: no ESPN2HD (TW issue), no NFL Channel (TW issue), and no more NFL Ticket [ok, so I still have the NFL ticket cause I kept my old DirecTV box active without regular programming. But it's not HD and it's not hooked up to my Series 3 so I can't rewind when the Vikings make a great play]
Sprk Jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I get ESPN2HD with cablecards on TWC here in north Dallas. I watched some stuff on it this afternoon.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #16
MScottC

Series 3 TiVo since the beginning. ESPN2 HD has been available the entire time with cablecards... Comcast in Jersey City
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprk Jonz
But it's not HD and it's not hooked up to my Series 3 so I can't rewind when the Vikings make a great play]
So that means that there will be two times this year that you miss Tivo.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
gweempose

S3 - Chicago - Comcast

All HD channels, including ESPN2, work perfectly.
gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #19
mac23

no espn2hd for me here on time warner south carolina, however here it is definitely an sdv issue. I also don't get espnclassic or espnu, also due to sdv
mac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #20
VOLFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
So that means that there will be two times this year that you miss Tivo.
Beat me to it!
VOLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #21
skylab

ESPN2HD should not be on sdv. In other forums, many TWC customers have filed complaints with the FCC for not being able to get ESPN2HD with a cablecard. The law (integration ban) prevents TWC from forcing us to use their set top box to receive non-interactive programming like ESPN2HD.

Here is the web site to file a complaint:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475.cfm
skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #22
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

I don't get ESPN2 as well using the Series 3 Tivo, yet if I view that channel with the BrightHouse HD unit, I can view ESPN2...

Cable rip ?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #23
cdp1276

The worst part is, I guess my area isn't even using SDV yet and they are just selectively blocking certain channels from working on CableCard's. Is there not a better way to have TiVo help us fight this rather than doing the FCC form? Also that link doesn't work at the moment.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #24
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276
The worst part is, I guess my area isn't even using SDV yet and they are just selectively blocking certain channels from working on CableCard's. Is there not a better way to have TiVo help us fight this rather than doing the FCC form? Also that link doesn't work at the moment.

The FCC would have more power than Tivo.

ajwees41
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #25
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41
The FCC would have more power than Tivo.

ajwees41
However, Tivo would have a greater interest it getting it resolved.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #26
tetzel1517

RCN customer here... when I first got my cablecards installed, ESPN2HD wasn't even part of RCN's HD package, but the TiVo could still tune to a channel that was listed as ESPN2HD but nothing would show up. Then one day, bam!, it was just there (a very happy day for me). I don't think this was due to RCN taking part in hijinks though. They were just in the process of adding the channel when I got the S3 and didn't finish until a few weeks later.
tetzel1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #27
nathanziarek

I guess I just don't understand. If they have to make their systems work with CableCard, how is it OK for them to specifically prevent a channel from working? I guess I don't understand the ins and outs -- and I sure don't feel like I should have to.

Show of hands: if DirecTV made a cablecard-like card that could work in the S3 and get you D* goodness, who'd switch? I've only been back to cable for a year and I'm already tired of them.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #28
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanziarek
I guess I just don't understand. If they have to make their systems work with CableCard, how is it OK for them to specifically prevent a channel from working? I guess I don't understand the ins and outs -- and I sure don't feel like I should have to.

Show of hands: if DirecTV made a cablecard-like card that could work in the S3 and get you D* goodness, who'd switch? I've only been back to cable for a year and I'm already tired of them.

The S3 doesn't even do Directv.

ajwees41
Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #29
nathanziarek

Oh, I know. I was saying, if D* essentially copied the implementation of cablecard so you *could* use the S3 with D*, who would switch? I know I would. But that gets us off topic, I suppose.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #30
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
However, Tivo would have a greater interest it getting it resolved.
However it would be better for the customer to complain to tivo who in turn can go to the FCC and argue the problem.

ajwees41