TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
thepcdoc

S3 Pixelization /Macroblocking?

I returned my HD because the macroblocking was unbearable. I would spend the extra $300 for an S3 if it didn't suffer the same problems that the HD has currently. Is anyone experiencing pixelization on their S3?
thepcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I don't have these problems with my S3. I have Motorola cards from TWC.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepcdoc
I returned my HD because the macroblocking was unbearable. I would spend the extra $300 for an S3 if it didn't suffer the same problems that the HD has currently. Is anyone experiencing pixelization on their S3?
Some folks have, some have not. Same with the THD.

With Fios, quite a few people had problems with local HD channels, fewer had problems with SD and HD channels.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

FIOS TV, no issues currently with the S3 (any channel), but still pixelation on the HD box. I think fixing the HD problem is just a matter of the HD software eventually evolving to the same or similar software currently running on the S3.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
jfh3

I have never seen pixelization with either of my S3s (since September)

I have seen some with TivoHD, but expect it will be fixed with a sofware update.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepcdoc
None here, Comcast cableccards + OTA. Happy user since September.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
thepcdoc

Anyone using SA Cable Cards with no pixelization or a Cablevision subscriber?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
SCSIRAID

I definitely have pixelation issues on encrypted QAM with S3 and SA cablecards. OTA is fine.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
jtreid

I had pixelation problems with my S3 earlier this year (March'ish) after I bought my S3 that seem to have gone away. I can't put my finger on what fixed it: comcast signal or new software from Tivo.
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
frostrambler

I am on Cablevision with SA cards in Brooklyn and I get sporadic pixelatization too.
frostrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
JimboDunky
Disenchanted User

I have Comcast with a SA PKM600. Installer is coming back on Sat with a new deck of CCs to try with slot 2. Tetris is for gaming not watching HDTV.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
thepcdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostrambler
I am on Cablevision with SA cards in Brooklyn and I get sporadic pixelatization too.
Do you have an S3 or an HD? I am trying to figure out if the S3s have the same problem that the HDs have and if SA CCs are a factor in the problem if so.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

There are bound to be some problems with S3 pixelation, most likely as a result of signal strength. In the dark days before the THD, it was discussed that the S3 is pickier about signal strength than it's cable company owned brethern. If the same problem that is causing the issues in the THD existed in the S3, I think that there would have been FAR more discussion about the topic a long time ago.

Unfortunately, everytime someone sees a bit of macroblocking on any HD Tivo it's now going to be linked to this problem with the THD.

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Terial-DeVo

I have an interesting prob with my S3:

I get pixelization on showtime only
i have 2 showtime channels that get it
ShowtimeHD
Showtime

both channels broacast the same shows at the same time, one is HD and one is not.

I have 3 cable cards:
2 in my S3 and one in my TV

when i try these 2 channels with my S3, pixelization occurs. If i try the cable card in the TV for these 2 channels, no issues.

I also have a Series 2 box and the non HD channel has no pixelization.

Basically, the S3 is causing pixelization on an HD and non HD channel, all of my other channels seem to work with no issues including other HD channels.
Terial-DeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Wheens

Is it an apple, or is it an orange, or is it a pear?

Would someone be so kind to define...preferably in non-techie terms... what the differences are between pixelation, macroblocking, and tiling? Word pictures would be helpful. Methinks they are thrown together... and confused with each other... in most of the discussions.
TIA.
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #16
Terial-DeVo

This is a picture i took not 5 minutes ago of Showtime HD

I call this Pixelization

Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #17
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens
Would someone be so kind to define...preferably in non-techie terms... what the differences are between pixelation, macroblocking, and tiling? Word pictures would be helpful. Methinks they are thrown together... and confused with each other... in most of the discussions.
TIA.
No difference in this form as the terms are used interchangeably. TiVo does call it macroblocking.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #18
msu2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terial-DeVo

ShowtimeHD
Showtime

both channels broacast the same shows at the same time, one is HD and one is not.

I have 3 cable cards:

when i try these 2 channels with my S3, pixelization occurs. If i try the cable card in the TV for these 2 channels, no issues.

Basically, the S3 is causing pixelization on an HD and non HD channel, all of my other channels seem to work with no issues including other HD channels.
Showtime and Showtime HD are fine for us on our S3, but Show Too (Showtime 2) has macroblocking and audio drops every 5 seconds. HBO 2 is the same way. All the rest of our regularly watched channels seem fine. Comcast said the signal is about as good as it gets. I'm not even sure it's worth complaining to Tivo about it because its been going on for so long for other people here.
msu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #19
btwyx
Substantive Member

I had some small macroblocking on my S3, it cleared up earlier this year. I don't know if it was signal problems and changes to the cable cleared it up, or if it was a software issue which got fixed.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #20
jtreid

Quote:

I call this Pixelization
Yep! That's what I used to have. Interestingly enough, it really only caused me problems watching Hell's Kitchen. I don't remember it being a big problem on any other shows/channels. Since sometime earlier this year, now I can watch chef Ramsey humiliate those ignorant chef-wanna-bes in clear, non-tiled, HD.

Like btwyx said, I don't know what changed for it to get cleared up: software, signal, sun, moon, stars....
Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #21
Terial-DeVo

it's strange, turns out all of my showtime channels on my S3 are pixelized, while my S2 is just fine :/

grrrrrr need to find a way to fix this.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #22
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

I have the macroblocking on my S3 but its tolerable. Very small bursts usually about 3-4 in an hour show. I am confident that TiVo will have this fixed soon. Since the TiVoHD is experiencing bigger problems I am hoping that the fix for that will also be incorporated into the S3...

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #23
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

We have exactly the same problem with Showtime and our S3 (which we bought on day one). Short audio dropouts and pixelation happens on a few other channels regularly as well, but it's the worst and ever-present and on all of the SHO channels. 2 cable cards - the problem is the same for Sho HD and non-HD and is problematic on both tuners.

Showtime on our S2 (via cable box) is fine, just like yours. Weeds is pretty much unwatchable on our S3 now. I'm not happy about watching Standard def premium channels on a 42-inch plasma.

Are you with Time Warner in NYC, by chance?

Quote:

ShowtimeHD
Showtime

I have 3 cable cards:

Old 08-15-2007, 11:57 PM   #24
Terial-DeVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
We have exactly the same problem with Showtime and our S3 (which we bought on day one). Short audio dropouts and pixelation happens on a few other channels regularly as well, but it's the worst and ever-present and on all of the SHO channels. 2 cable cards - the problem is the same for Sho HD and non-HD and is problematic on both tuners.

Showtime on our S2 (via cable box) is fine, just like yours. Weeds is pretty much unwatchable on our S3 now. I'm not happy about watching Standard def premium channels on a 42-inch plasma.

Are you with Time Warner in NYC, by chance?
I am/was with time warner which became comcast in Houston TX actually... interesting that we both are having the identical issue though. I'm from NY lol maybe i brought the issue with me

Either way, not enjoying watching Weeds in non HD. I hope the fixes for the TivoHD fix the S3 issues.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #25
SAH2

New Pixelation/macroblocking started today

I have had my S3 since April, and am using it with basic cable ( clear QAM) and OTA - no cablecards.

Tonight, for the first time, I started getting macroblocking/pixelation on clear QAM ABC HD. The problem was only on the TIVO and not with the feed from the cable.

To verify this, I switched input on the TV from Input 5 ( HDMI-1 the Tivo) to TV (cable). This uses the same basic cable feed that goes into the Tivo. No pixelation on the same channel. (I also verified this by turning on an older TV in the same room that is used as a monitor for the DVD recorder. I set that to monitor the picture from the Tivo out of the S-video out. So, at the same time I could watch both the Tivo and the TV (using cable). I could see the macroblocking occuring on the Tivo feed, but not on the TV)

Since nothing has changed in my setup, and I have not had any pixelation issues with the cable feed in the past, and the TV has no problems with the same feed, what can I do to troubleshoot this. The pixelation was so bad I could not watch.

Could I have somehow received an update from Tivo. My sw is 8.3.1-01-2-648

Thanks
SAH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #26
jazmaan

Quote:

I call this Pixelization

Dang! I've never seen ANYTHING like that on my TivoHD. It looks like you threw a pie at your screen!
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 AM   #27
richsadams

New S3 Software Update Pending

A discussion of macroblocking and audio drop outs started back in May on this thread (and others) when many of us thought and TiVo now acknowledges the v8.3 upgrade caused some users audio/video problems.

Although the circumstances are different (likely a bad S3) the OP on this thread says that TiVo told him that a new software upgrade is due out by the end of this month (August).

Quote:
And last but not least, I waited on hold for 30 minutes with TiVo tonight (I know the "put on hold" music by heart now), and was told that, a) engineering had nothing new for me, and b) TiVo IS releasing an update later this month that will address macroblocking issues (which isn't exactly my issue) - they said that since my issue is, quote, "similar", it might be "best" to wait for the update.
AFAIK this is the first time that TiVo has given an ETA on a new software push. Hopefully a lot of these issues will be resolved once itís released.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #28
jtreid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmaan
Dang! I've never seen ANYTHING like that on my TivoHD. It looks like you threw a pie at your screen!
LMFAO
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #29
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Had my 3 Series 3's since December and I've had pixelation issues since day one.
  1. problem occurs on encrypted QAM -- OTA is fine, QAM in the clear is fine (most of the time)
  2. SA cards on Time Warner Raleigh
  3. problem occurs on ALL 3 Series 3's but not at the same time or in the same location within a given show (so the pixelation is NOT in source)
  4. signal levels and quality has been checked multiple times by Time Warner at the ingress to my house, at my distribution point and at each box.
  5. Worst channel is HDNET followed closely by UHD but I also see it on encrypted SD channels (e.g. Showtime)

Calls to TiVo have yielded answers ranging from "it is a known problem and will be fixed in the next release" (already come and gone) to "you are the only one reporting such a problem". To date they have not even logged a ticket against this and said they won't unless I want to replace the hardware. I haven't agreed to that because it doesn't make sense to me that all 3 are having the problem and they haven't made any fixes to address it.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #30
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer
Had my 3 Series 3's since December and I've had pixelation issues since day one.
  1. problem occurs on encrypted QAM -- OTA is fine, QAM in the clear is fine (most of the time)
  2. SA cards on Time Warner Raleigh
  3. problem occurs on ALL 3 Series 3's but not at the same time or in the same location within a given show (so the pixelation is NOT in source)
  4. signal levels and quality has been checked multiple times by Time Warner at the ingress to my house, at my distribution point and at each box.
  5. Worst channel is HDNET followed closely by UHD but I also see it on encrypted SD channels (e.g. Showtime)

Calls to TiVo have yielded answers ranging from "it is a known problem and will be fixed in the next release" (already come and gone) to "you are the only one reporting such a problem". To date they have not even logged a ticket against this and said they won't unless I want to replace the hardware. I haven't agreed to that because it doesn't make sense to me that all 3 are having the problem and they haven't made any fixes to address it.
I am also on TWC Raleigh and am experiencing exactly the same problems with my one S3. I have had Techs out numerous times for all of the above mentioned work and more, the last time was to replace the SA CCs with two new ones with mfg dates of 5/2007. Still no change. I see the problem on ALL premium channels also I see it on MLB EI channels. Interestingly I do not see it hardly ever on the network HD channels and never on OTA. It occurs 5-6 times an hour, sometimes worse.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote