TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
jerome829

Just called for DirecTV service, but...

I couldn't get any straight answers... I was getting flustered...

I told the CSR I was going to purchase my own TiVo but they said they use the exact same one... it would be no different... is this true?

She said regardless they would need to bring their own HD receiver... is that also true?

I mean why can't the installer just come with the dish and use my HD TiVo to connect?

Is this possible?

Damn, I should've asked here first instead of calling in... I feel like I'm getting jipped somewhere...
jerome829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Wilhite
...no stinkin' title

DirecTv doesn't use Tivo any more. They have their own DVR with it's own software that isn't Tivo.

You'll need to get a DirecTv receiver to receive the channels. After you've got them, then you can do something with the Tivo you purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

You need to be very clear about the "Tivo" that you have. Standalone Tivos require a DirecTV Receiver to deliver the video source to record on the Tivo. DirecTV/Tivo combo DVRs are no longer sold by DirecTV but can be found on eBay and few retailers (e.g. Circuit City, Weaknees, etc.). If you already have your own DirecTV/Tivo combo DVR, then you only need to have a dish installed and you can activate the DirecTV/Tivo yourself.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
jerome829

So if I bought the TiVo HD DVR for $299.99 at BB, I will still need to keep their receiver to get the channels broadcasted, am I following correctly?

Or will they take back their receiver?

The CSR told me $9.99/mo for HD and $5.99/mo for having TiVo, even if it is my own... is that right?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome829
So if I bought the TiVo HD DVR for $299.99 at BB, I will still need to keep their receiver to get the channels broadcasted, am I following correctly?

Or will they take back their receiver?

The CSR told me $9.99/mo for HD and $5.99/mo for having TiVo, even if it is my own... is that right?
The TiVo Hd and S3 won't work with DirecTV at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
jerome829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
The TiVo Hd and S3 won't work with DirecTV at all.
so what HD DVR does work with directv?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Directv offers one.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
There are only two HD DVRs that work with DirecTV's satellite channels ....

1. The HR10-250 which was discontinued last year.
2. The HR20 which is not Tivo-based software but can receive all of the new MPEG4 HD channels, including DirecTV's Local HD Channels available in many cities.

Standalone HD Tivo's only work with Cable TV systems.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
jerome829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
Directv offers one.
But not TiVo based... how good is it? I have TWC right now and I'm not impressed with their DVR service...

So if I'm reading this right that means that none of the new HD TiVos work with DirecTV... what's up with that?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
jerome829

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911
There are only two HD DVRs that work with DirecTV's satellite channels ....

1. The HR10-250 which was discontinued last year.
2. The HR20 which is not Tivo-based software but can receive all of the new MPEG4 HD channels, including DirecTV's Local HD Channels available in many cities.

Standalone HD Tivo's only work with Cable TV systems.
Ahh. Damn. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
gsr

Quote:
The original HD Tivo - the Hughes HR10-250 is a DirecTV Tivo that is no longer available from DirecTV because they are using their own "in-house" HD DVR now. As a new customer, I'm not sure if you're required to purchase or lease a box from DirecTV to get started or not, but if you acquired a used HR10-250 from ebay (for example), you could certainly add it to your account.

The newer Tivo Series 3 and brand new HD Tivo should not be used with DirecTV because they do not have DirecTV tuners in them. These new models have OTA (over the air - as in use an antenna) and QAM (as in cable TV) tuners in them and are thus intended to be used with an antenna and/or cable TV. If you really wanted to, you ~could~ hook up a DirecTV receiver to these new Tivo's, but you would be limited to recording (at best) the S-Video signal from them, so you would not be able to record HD from DirecTV.

Update - as litzdog911 alluded to, the HR10-250 HD Tivo is not able to handle the new MPEG-4 content from DirecTV. If those new channels are something you care about (and as a new subscriber, I would think they would be), then you really should go with the HR20. If having the Tivo software is important, then you should consider another option, such as cable TV or FIOS (if available in your area).
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
jerome829

Thanks guys.

I moved to the DFW area two months ago from Chicago and didn't realize that TWC didn't offer any sort of NFL pacakage... well football season is coming and I want to switch over... (gotta be able to watch my Bears)

(and Bulls, when basketball season hits...)

I guess I will go with their HD DVR service... gotta give 'em a call and change my order around...

Thanks much.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

The HR10-250 TiVo is the only integrated HD DirecTV receiver and TiVo or HD DirecTiVo. Unfortunately, it will not work with the new satellites that DirecTV is launching early next year. The current satellites broadcast mpeg2 streams, the new satellites will broadcast a mpeg4 stream. This is so DirecTV can offer more HD channels.

DirecTV is offering the newer HR20, which is an integrated HD DirecTV receiver and DVR (digital video recorder), but is not an HD DirecTiVo. This DVR will receive and record the new mpeg4 broadcast streams from the new satellites.

As stated above, all Series 3 TiVos will NOT work with any satellite system, including DirecTV, Dish Network or any FTA (free to air) satellite receivers.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
The newer Tivo Series 3 and brand new HD Tivo should not be used with DirecTV because they do not have DirecTV tuners in them. If you really wanted to, you ~could~ hook up a DirecTV receiver to these new Tivo's, but you would be limited to recording (at best) the S-Video signal from them, so you would not be able to record HD from DirecTV.
No, you couldn't. No S-Video input. Just antenna and cable RF. And no program guide info or channel changing for DirecTV either.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #15
gsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
No, you couldn't. No S-Video input. Just antenna and cable RF. And no program guide info or channel changing for DirecTV either.
I could have sworn I read somewhere that these had the ability to do so, but after taking another look at the specs at the Tivo site, I certainly stand (well, sit) corrected. In any event, I would consider this a really poor way to record DirecTV content anyway when there are already options with built in DirecTV tuners available.

If I were starting fresh, I would go with the HR20 from DirecTV so I could record the new MPEG-4 content or go with cable (or FIOS) and purchase a Series 3 HD Tivo (either model).

I'm debating what to do for the short and long term - I have 2 HR10-250's and 3 HDVR2's in my home which means that I would need to upgrade my dish, multi-switches, and switch to HR20's (I'd switch all my DVR's to HR20's so I could record HD content on all of them) to get the new MPEG-4 content OR switch to cable and get a bunch of Series 3 HD Tivos. The only channel I care about that I currently can't get is NESN HD, but over time (and starting in Sept.) there are going to be more and more channels in MPEG-4 that I care about. I'm inclined to think that switching to Comcast may be the better long term move, but it's surprisingly hard to get detailed pricing info online for how much the TV service costs including the CableCards, HD service, etc. to get a feel for how the cost would compare to DirecTV.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just keep in mind that cable providers raise prices much more often than DirecTV does. Comcast was raising prices twice-yearly in my area when I dumped them.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Just keep in mind that cable providers raise prices much more often than DirecTV does. Comcast was raising prices twice-yearly in my area when I dumped them.
Yup, they did the same thing in Sacramento before I switched to D*, the only reason I'm back with Comcast now is because I don't have LoS for D* HD.

But it worked out because I'm back with TiVo now.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
gsr

Quote:
Understood, but pricing isn't the primary concern for me as long as it's in the same ballpark - as in $100 vs $110 per month for equivalent service isn't a big enough difference for me to worry about. Having Tivo vs. DirecTV's homegrown DVR is a difference that's significant enough for me to worry about and as things stand right now, long term that would mean leaving DirecTV. The feedback I've seen on the HR20 has been mixed at best.

Short term, for reasons I haven't quite figured out , I'd like to be able to watch the Bruins lose in HD this season on NESN HD. This means upgrading my dish, multiswitches, and at least one of my receivers or switching to Comcast and getting Series 3 Tivos. Longer term, the only way DirecTV is going to be able to compete with Comcast / FIOS for the # of channels offered is to do a combination of launching more birds, lowering bit rates, and coming up with better compression schemes - which would presumably mean replacing equipment again. And they're limited in how many birds they can launch for (I think) obvious reasons.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #19
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
DirecTV has plenty of capacity with the new satellite launches and MPEG4. Cable systems are limited in bandwidth and some are considering Switched Digital Video which doesn't work with S3 TiVos. FiOS has somewhat more capability.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #20
gsr

Quote:
DirecTV has plenty of capacity with the new satellite launches and MPEG4.
The biggest knock on DirecTV right now is that there's no Tivo option for MPEG-4 and the option that does exist seems less than optimal. I'm not so much hung up on having Tivo as I am on having a DVR that doesn't miss recording what I want to watch . For a large part of my OTA DVR needs, I use BeyondTV and accessDTV on PC's with a bunch of HD tuner cards - those options are just as reliable as the Tivo's have been for me.

Upgrading the dish is a non trivial deal if it ends up requiring new holes to mount it to the house. Upgrading my primary multiswitch is a non-trivial consideration - I'm currently using a 5x12 Spaun and need the OTA antenna feed that is diplexed in for several of the rooms the feeds go to. From what I've read, the OTA antenna can no longer be combined into the sat feeds with the new dish - that's a BIG problem.

Since I have at least 2 lines running to each room, 1 could be used for cable TV, the other for OTA and the multiswitch could be replaced with a pair of distribution amps - one for cable TV and the other for OTA. But cable systems going to a new scheme would also be a problem (something I had been aware of but forgot about...).

So not a simple decision...

If only I could get a DirecTV HD receiver card (or USB tuner) for my Windows boxes with an access card and BeyondTV added support for it, life would be so much easier. I'd add several of these to the BeyondTV mix and I'd be all set.