TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Laserfan

Need summary of network capabilities of S3

I'm a long-time S1 owner but new to S3, and have been using dial-up for EPG updates exclusively. I know about updates over the ethernet, but am having a devil of a time understanding what other tricks the S3 is capable of doing once connected to my home network/ISP full-time. Have a vague notion about Unbox, and sending instructions to record new shows from a networked PC, but what else? Can someone conversant in all the options/opportunities please list them for me?

Believe me I have been all over the FAQs and if something like this already exists I'm damned if I can find it....
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
HomeUser

Every thing a Series2 does Get Connected except TiVo To Go and Multi Room Viewing and according to TiVoPony TTG & MRV Coming in November for Series3 & TiVoHD this is coming soon.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
CCourtney

Here are some.

EPG downloading faster
Amazon Unbox - Downloading of Movies, TV Episodes for a fee (Trailers for free)
TiVo Cast - http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/cds/index.do# (a bunch of free only video feeds)
Access Music and Photo's on a PC connected to your home network from your TiVo
Access some Yahoo account features
Access local Weather and Traffic infomation
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
jcthorne

So is transfer of video from the PC to Tivo part of TTG and thus not currently available or is this part of movie downloads that are available? I have been unable to transfer any video TO tivo. I understand transfering video FROM tivo is TTG and not available yet
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne
So is transfer of video from the PC to Tivo part of TTG and thus not currently available or is this part of movie downloads that are available? I have been unable to transfer any video TO tivo. I understand transfering video FROM tivo is TTG and not available yet
Yes, that is covered in TiVoPony's post
"The aptly yet unofficially named TiVoToComeBack also will be supported, including HD content (originally recorded on a TiVo DVR)."
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser
Every thing a Series2 does Get Connected ...
Thanks--I'm sure I've seen that in the past but for some reason I thought you could do more with it.

I was hoping for at least a way to interrogate the S3 to see what was in Now Playing and on the To-Do list... Especially with this being "the new fall season" I wanted to be able to confirm from any of my PCs that it was set-up right, without going to the HT and firing-up the display.

OK well it is what it is--I appreciate the responses.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Narf54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
I was hoping for at least a way to interrogate the S3 to see what was in Now Playing and on the To-Do list... Especially with this being "the new fall season" I wanted to be able to confirm from any of my PCs that it was set-up right, without going to the HT and firing-up the display.
More of a workaround, but you could get a SlingBox to do what you describe. Use a remote PC to interact with the S3, and not need to turn on the TV/Monitor/Projector.
Narf54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narf54321
...you could get a SlingBox to do what you describe. Use a remote PC to interact with the S3...
This is actually a very good idea Narf--I'm assuming the slingbox (or hava) allows me to interact with the Tivo as if I was sitting in front of it with the remote control. Presumably this uses an IR blaster into the S3, or is there a serial connection possible as sometimes with the old S1?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

When TTG is activated, they may also activate the "unsupported" webserver that allows you to access/view/download from your Now Playing list via a web browser on the network. I did this all the time on my S2.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
demon
BURNINATOR

I imagine it will - the capability is advertised via mDNS/Zeroconf/Bonjour, so I'd be surprised if it didn't turn on with the TTG/MRV update.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
This is actually a very good idea Narf--I'm assuming the slingbox (or hava) allows me to interact with the Tivo as if I was sitting in front of it with the remote control. Presumably this uses an IR blaster into the S3, or is there a serial connection possible as sometimes with the old S1?
Yes, the SlingBox has a transmitter that you put in front of the TiVo's IR receiver. I have the SlinBox Pro which has 2 transmitters and can control 2 TiVos even the remote is the familiar "Peanut" control.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary
When TTG is activated, they may also activate the "unsupported" webserver...
That was what I was looking for in the S3--after "tivoweb" on my S1 I'm spoiled for sure. I hope you're right about such a thing in the S3.

The dual-tuner features of S3 make a sling-type add-on very attractive. I will do my research...

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne

Anything which transfers video to/from/between TiVos is disabled on the Series 3/TiVoHD models at this time. Everything else is enabled.

The semi-official web interface is only for listing and transferring recordings. It does mostly nothing TiVoWeb does.

A Slingbox will let you fully control a TiVo as if you wer at it, using an IR blaster for control.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
cwbaker

I'm new to this also (long time S1 DirecTivo owner) ... questions about upcoming TiVoHD features?

1. Does TiVoToComeBack "copy" or "stream" video files from the PC to the TiVo?
2. What format do videos need to be in to work with TiVoToComeBack?

I've got a bunch of stuff on DVDs that I'd like store on my PC and then be able to watch on the TiVo.
cwbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbaker
I'm new to this also (long time S1 DirecTivo owner) ... questions about upcoming TiVoHD features?

1. Does TiVoToComeBack "copy" or "stream" video files from the PC to the TiVo?
2. What format do videos need to be in to work with TiVoToComeBack?

I've got a bunch of stuff on DVDs that I'd like store on my PC and then be able to watch on the TiVo.

All TiVo video transfers are copies, although, within the home, you can begin viewing a transfer in progress, so it is like streaming.

Videos need to be MPEG2 (for now), but TiVo Desktop Plus will convert them on the fly.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote