TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #211
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
Yes I'm frustrated. Mostly because the product has so much potential. It's so close to what I want, and yet not quite there. Still, I'm keeping it.

As to what the OP might do, I agree that your advice was much better than my bickering.
Frankly I can't wait to switch over to "all HD" equipment. Just wish they'd had the THD earlier...could have bought two plus had some left over for what we paid for the S3. But that's how it goes.

Hang in there...I'm positive they'll get it sorted out, they always have.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:01 AM   #212
dadler

I called Tivo about the pixelation problem and insisted upon an additional month of warranty since I was worried the fix would be coming after my warranty period. While Tivo said "yes", I was concerned that a phone rep. from Tivo could not (or would not) have anyway to send a letter or email confirmin the extension of the warranty. There is no way to communicate to Tivo in writing , in either direction!
dadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #213
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadler
I called Tivo about the pixelation problem and insisted upon an additional month of warranty since I was worried the fix would be coming after my warranty period. While Tivo said "yes", I was concerned that a phone rep. from Tivo could not (or would not) have anyway to send a letter or email confirmin the extension of the warranty. There is no way to communicate to Tivo in writing , in either direction!
Good idea. As long as they gave you a case number you should be okay.

TiVo
P.O.Box 2160
Alviso, CA 95002-2160
Old 08-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #214
Chimpware

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadler
I had a very similar conversation with Tivo rep. I originally was told by the Rep. that they would also extend the warranty on my equipment for the 30 days as well (I bought mine 2 untis from Circuit City). I was told that they would accept the Tivo HD units and refund my purchase price if the pixelation was not remedied within the additional 30 day period. When I asked for everything in writing I was told it was noted in my case log and the4y could not provide any written confirmation. I was not comfortable and wanted confirmation from a supervisor. When the supervisor got on the line they said there was some confusion and they could extend the trial period for the service, but not the equipment because I purchased it from another company.

So in the end I have nothing in writing and I hope that having it noted in the case log is enough, although the "misunderstanding" with the CSR has me a bit worried. My plan, if this is not fixed within 30 day period (as I decided to take a chance based on recent post from TivoPony regarding fix for SA Scard users) is to cnacel service and try to sell the Tivo HDs on ebay.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #215
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
I had a very similar conversation with Tivo rep. I originally was told by the Rep. that they would also extend the warranty on my equipment for the 30 days as well (I bought mine 2 untis from Circuit City). I was told that they would accept the Tivo HD units and refund my purchase price if the pixelation was not remedied within the additional 30 day period. When I asked for everything in writing I was told it was noted in my case log and the4y could not provide any written confirmation. I was not comfortable and wanted confirmation from a supervisor. When the supervisor got on the line they said there was some confusion and they could extend the trial period for the service, but not the equipment because I purchased it from another company.

So in the end I have nothing in writing and I hope that having it noted in the case log is enough, although the "misunderstanding" with the CSR has me a bit worried. My plan, if this is not fixed within 30 day period (as I decided to take a chance based on recent post from TivoPony regarding fix for SA Scard users) is to cnacel service and try to sell the Tivo HDs on ebay.
That is concerning. At least keep a log of when you called, what was said and exactly who you talked to each time. Hopefully that would hold up in "TiVo Court".
Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #216
Brian-1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_camden
That's not accurate -- every post on this board that I have seen (with the exception of two) using Motorola cards with the Tivo HD report COMPLETE improvement. In my case pixelation is gone, and I'm very happy with Tivo. For thiose with SA cards, I'm confident that Tivo will be taking care of you based on how well and quickly they fixed the issue for us with Moto cards.
I have a Moto M-Card with my TiVo HD. I have the b2 software. I have the following problems:
  1. Pixelation while watching live TV - I've seen it on digital channels - not sure about analog. Skip-back will reproduce the same pixelation effect - suggesting the pixelation is getting written to the hard drive (though maybe the recorded data itself causes the TiVo to have problems the same way each time?). I even tried saving the live TV to the hard drive & rebooting, but the pixelation still happens in the same spot.
  2. Pixelation while watching recordings (but resolved with a reboot) - I tried to watch a suggested recording of South Park last night but it was unbearable. However, when I unplugged the machine and rebooted, the recording played fine.
  3. Pixelation in the menus - I've seen this happen a few times.
I'm very concerned. What's going on? Issue #1 seems to suggest there's a problem with my cable signal - but issue #2 & 3 suggest a problem with the TiVo itself.

I'm glad to hear TiVo is working on a patch for SA Cablecard users, but that (I presume) won't help me, especially with issue #2 & 3. Any suggestions on what to do? If this can't get resolved by my 30 day window, I'll be returning it, unfortunately.

I'm a first-time TiVo user, and this has been a poor and frustrating experience.

Last edited by Brian-1337 : 09-01-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Brian-1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #217
Brian-1337

Oh, also, I had an issue a few days ago where I couldn't watch a Live TV channel at all. I tried to tune in Last Comic Standing (in digital / HD), and it would show a second or two of video & audio, but then freeze the image and cut out the audio. Any other channel seemed to work all right.

Rebooting fixed the issue.

I hope someone can help - this is very frustrating.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #218
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
When the supervisor got on the line they said there was some confusion and they could extend the trial period for the service, but not the equipment because I purchased it from another company.
Don't quite understand the logic here - obviously Tivo can't extend the return policy for another company, but I see NO reason why they can't extend the WARRANTY on the box itself, since they are the ones that honor the warranty, not the vendor.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #219
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-1337
I have a Moto M-Card with my TiVo HD. I have the b2 software. I have the following problems:
  1. Pixelation while watching live TV - I've seen it on digital channels - not sure about analog. Skip-back will reproduce the same pixelation effect - suggesting the pixelation is getting written to the hard drive (though maybe the recorded data itself causes the TiVo to have problems the same way each time?). I even tried saving the live TV to the hard drive & rebooting, but the pixelation still happens in the same spot.
  2. Pixelation while watching recordings (but resolved with a reboot) - I tried to watch a suggested recording of South Park last night but it was unbearable. However, when I unplugged the machine and rebooted, the recording played fine.
  3. Pixelation in the menus - I've seen this happen a few times.
I'm very concerned. What's going on? Issue #1 seems to suggest there's a problem with my cable signal - but issue #2 & 3 suggest a problem with the TiVo itself.

I'm glad to hear TiVo is working on a patch for SA Cablecard users, but that (I presume) won't help me, especially with issue #2 & 3. Any suggestions on what to do? If this can't get resolved by my 30 day window, I'll be returning it, unfortunately.

I'm a first-time TiVo user, and this has been a poor and frustrating experience.
Sorry to hear that you're having such frustrating problems. When you buy a new CE piece of equipment you should expect to have a great out-of-box experience. As a long-time TiVo user I’ve run into the odd glitch, but TiVo has always been able to tidy things up pretty quickly. I’m sure they will be able to get these bugs straightened out as well. We’re planning on replacing our S2’s with TiVo HD’s pretty soon…so they’d better!

I'd say that all of your woes could be attributed to the ongoing signal/cable card/software issues being discussed...except for #3 (and the bit in #2 where rebooting will temporarily clear things up as well as the part about not being able to watch live TV at one point) which is more worrisome. If you're experiencing macroblocking (or any trouble for that matter) with your menus there may be more to it. Those kinds of problems are generally found in a defective or dieing hard drive.

I would call TiVo support, have them open a case and explain that part of the issue clearly. IMHO it's a good candidate for a replacement.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #220
Brian-1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
I would call TiVo support, have them open a case and explain that part of the issue clearly. IMHO it's a good candidate for a replacement.
Thanks - I'll give it a shot. I'm skeptical about whether it's hardware related (given that reboots fix much of it) but I'll try talking with them.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #221
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Starting a file "case number" with your Tivo would be a wise move... I recently purchased the Tivo HD... Had all the problems you now face... Returned it for a Series 3, problems haven't cleared up but with any luck the next "update" will resolve these issues.. maybe
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #222
Brighton Line

Here is what I face, Sept. 7th is the deadline to return the TivoHD to C-City (30days). The 10th is my 30days with Tivo service.
I did call a week ago and they refused to extend the 30days service refund period. Then the CSR talked to a "supervisor" and they opened a case, she said they would replace the box if the issue is not resolved.
I asked how can you replace the box when it was a software issue? I then got the reply that a software fix is in the work etc etc.
I'm calling on the 7th to cancel and see if they will extend the 30 days and warrenty period otherwise it is going back to C-City. If they do right I'll take the chance and keep the box and if they don't fix it I have a good christmas gift for my parents who are on Time Warner with Moto cards.
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #223
adam84a
Bright House Hater

Unfortunate

As much as I hated to, I had to finally give up on my TiVo HD last Friday because I could not stand the pixelation (not to mention I was having problems with my provider and getting all of my HD channels in). It really is sad because it would be a superior product if it weren't for this issue. I probably would have held out a little longer waiting for the update but my wife had enough of not being able to watch more than a minute of tv without the nasty pixelation. Hopefully they can get this ironed out and I can try it again later.
adam84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #224
cmajor9th

Well, mine's going back in the box to BB. I'm caught between two incompentencies.. pixelation from the TiVo and the inability for Comcast in Palm Beach Co FL to authorize the SA cableCARDs for all channels my digital channels in spite of multiple visits and pleas for knowledgeable help. (Maybe the same as adam84a?) I guess Comcast wins this war of attrition, and it's back to the 8300...
cmajor9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #225
jbsails

I posted last week about pixelation with 2 moto S-Cards and the b2 update. I mentioned my signal strength was 100% and in a reply someone said it maybe "too hot". It wasn't something I even considered since the house already has a 5 way splitter, but I took the suggestion of getting a standard 1ghz splitter for $5 and dropping it on the line to the HD Tivo (essentially splitting it 2 more times). My signal went from 100% to 96-99% and all the constant pixelation I was getting on every standard channel has disappeared! I still get random pixelation on HD channels, but it is certainly watchable and only happens once or twice. I usually switch over to the standard channel and watch the same program until it goes away on the HD channel. I have noted that when the pixelation happens on the HD channels the signal strength drops to 50-55% on that tuner. Really the only pain was switch my season passes over to SD channels so that I was sure not to get pixelation in the recording.
jbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #226
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsails
I posted last week about pixelation with 2 moto S-Cards and the b2 update. I mentioned my signal strength was 100% and in a reply someone said it maybe "too hot". It wasn't something I even considered since the house already has a 5 way splitter, but I took the suggestion of getting a standard 1ghz splitter for $5 and dropping it on the line to the HD Tivo (essentially splitting it 2 more times). My signal went from 100% to 96-99% and all the constant pixelation I was getting on every standard channel has disappeared! I still get random pixelation on HD channels, but it is certainly watchable and only happens once or twice. I usually switch over to the standard channel and watch the same program until it goes away on the HD channel. I have noted that when the pixelation happens on the HD channels the signal strength drops to 50-55% on that tuner. Really the only pain was switch my season passes over to SD channels so that I was sure not to get pixelation in the recording.
Interesting. I believe it was mentioned that this hot level should only occur with feeds from FIOS. Are you on FIOS? If not maybe the level is too hot at your head end.

I wonder if anyone makes an affordable inline attenuator for coax as that would be a more desireable way of reducing the signal level than throwing in a cheap splitter (which is also kind of an attenuator, but probably -3dBm).
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #227
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
I wonder if anyone makes an affordable inline attenuator for coax as that would be a more desireable way of reducing the signal level than throwing in a cheap splitter (which is also kind of an attenuator, but probably -3dBm).
Ratshack make a inline variable attenuator, basically a little box with 2 coax threads and a knob on top. It works for checking things like too hot a signal.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #228
bkdtv

Tivo released a software update today to address the issues (incl. pixelization) with Scientific Atlanta CableCards.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=365040
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #229
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Ratshack make a inline variable attenuator, basically a little box with 2 coax threads and a knob on top. It works for checking things like too hot a signal.
I think this is what btwyx is talking about...

It's fairly cheap but might serve the purpose. I used to use it to control the red push on a Mitsubishi big screen we had. I've never tried using it with TiVo and its low-quality might cause other issues, but it might work well enough to see if the signal is too strong.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #230
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsails
If you are seeing 99-100 on some channels, your signal on those channels could still be too 'hot' (strong). In that case, you might even try adding another splitter. Or you might buy a better attenuator to replace the splitter that you added. Be aware that not all attenuators are created equal, however.

Verizon may have some splitters / attenuators you can try if you don't want to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
I think this is what btwyx is talking about...

It's fairly cheap but might serve the purpose. I used to use it to control the red push on a Mitsubishi big screen we had. I've never tried using it with TiVo and its low-quality might cause other issues, but it might work well enough to see if the signal is too strong.
Got a part number for that, by chance?

Last edited by bkdtv : 09-05-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #231
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
If you are seeing 99-100 on some channels, your signal on those channels could still be too 'hot' (strong). In that case, you might even try adding another splitter. Or you might buy a better attenuator to replace the splitter that you added. Be aware that not all attenuators are created equal, however.

Verizon may have some splitters / attenuators you can try if you don't want to buy one.

Got a part number for that, by chance?
The only numbers I find on the unit itself are "15-6 8" printed on the front and "11A00" on a sticker on the back. I looked on line and couldn't find it...not sure if they sell it any more.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #232
jbsails

Quote:
Interesting. I believe it was mentioned that this hot level should only occur with feeds from FIOS. Are you on FIOS? If not maybe the level is too hot at your head end.

I am on FIOS. The installer had never installed cable cards before nor did he know anything about Tivo so this has been a bit of trial and error on my end.
jbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #233
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam84a
As much as I hated to, I had to finally give up on my TiVo HD last Friday because I could not stand the pixelation (not to mention I was having problems with my provider and getting all of my HD channels in). It really is sad because it would be a superior product if it weren't for this issue. I probably would have held out a little longer waiting for the update but my wife had enough of not being able to watch more than a minute of tv without the nasty pixelation. Hopefully they can get this ironed out and I can try it again later.
Tivo just released the c2 software level. Early reports indicate that the pixelization issues are much improved, if not fixed.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #234
jesseg

don't return your tivo HDs! i just updated and in the twenty minutes i've been watching discovery hd theater, i've yet to see any of the pixellation that used to happen a couple times a minute! this is really great! by the way, i have two SA cards with time warner in brooklyn.
jesseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #235
bkdtv

Scientific Atlanta CableCard pixelization issues appear to be solved (eliminated), based on the dozen or so initial reports.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #236
lrhorer

Attenuators

Quote:
No, signal levels which are too high can occur with any CATV plant. That said, most CATV systems are designed to deliver about +3dBmV to the eave of the house on the lowest (in signal strength, not necessarily frequency) channel. Most CATV operators are probably running their digital carriers 10dB lower than their analog carriers, so that would put the minimum digital carrier at no less than -7dB. If the lowest channel in the spectrum is significantly higher than this, then it's likely the CATV plant is not properly balanced, and the answer is not to place attenuators in-line, but to get the CATV company to balance the system. I usually have to have the local CATV company balance the plant every couple of years or so, although in a t least 2 cases it has been the upstream gain which was out of whack, not the downstream levels.

Take note what can happen is the equalization is off, not just the overall signal level. In this case the difference between the lowest channel and the highest channel is too great. Without an attenuator, the highest signal will be too high, but with the attenuator the lowest signal will be too low. After allowing for the difference in levels between analog an digital signals, the lowest shannel should not be more than 9dB lower than the highest channel. If your house is close to the amplifier, the higher frequency channels will be higher in level than the low frequency channels. Further away from the amplifier, the signal will begin to tilt the other way, until at the very end of the feeder line, channel 2 will be as much as 9 dB higher in signal level than the highest frequency carrier on the system. Doing a quick calculation in my head, I get that in a 750MHz system, no tap should be more than about 800 - 900 feet from the amplifier, although with the greatly shortened cascades allowed by fiber nodes, some companies might be able to get away with 1000ft feeders.

Quote:
'Not dBm, dB, and it's more like 3.5dB and closer to 4.0dB as one exceeds 400MHz. This company has them for $9 for a pack of 4, which is a decent price. The thing is, you have to buy 4, and I don't know about shipping: http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/20DB-Attenuator.htm
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #237
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer
No, signal levels which are too high can occur with any CATV plant. That said, most CATV systems are designed to deliver about +3dBmV to the eave of the house on the lowest (in signal strength, not necessarily frequency) channel. Most CATV operators are probably running their digital carriers 10dB lower than their analog carriers, so that would put the minimum digital carrier at no less than -7dB. If the lowest channel in the spectrum is significantly higher than this, then it's likely the CATV plant is not properly balanced, and the answer is not to place attenuators in-line, but to get the CATV company to balance the system. I usually have to have the local CATV company balance the plant every couple of years or so, although in a t least 2 cases it has been the upstream gain which was out of whack, not the downstream levels.

Take note what can happen is the equalization is off, not just the overall signal level. In this case the difference between the lowest channel and the highest channel is too great. Without an attenuator, the highest signal will be too high, but with the attenuator the lowest signal will be too low. After allowing for the difference in levels between analog an digital signals, the lowest shannel should not be more than 9dB lower than the highest channel. If your house is close to the amplifier, the higher frequency channels will be higher in level than the low frequency channels. Further away from the amplifier, the signal will begin to tilt the other way, until at the very end of the feeder line, channel 2 will be as much as 9 dB higher in signal level than the highest frequency carrier on the system. Doing a quick calculation in my head, I get that in a 750MHz system, no tap should be more than about 800 - 900 feet from the amplifier, although with the greatly shortened cascades allowed by fiber nodes, some companies might be able to get away with 1000ft feeders.

'Not dBm, dB, and it's more like 3.5dB and closer to 4.0dB as one exceeds 400MHz. This company has them for $9 for a pack of 4, which is a decent price. The thing is, you have to buy 4, and I don't know about shipping: http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/20DB-Attenuator.htm
Excellent info (as usual). Thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #238
Unix_Beard

Well, I'm experiencing severe pixellation. It did it on occasion when I first got it but now its a regular occurence. And its not just a few times, its constant through the entire program making it unwatchable. It didn't annoy the hell out of me until tonight when I tune into the NFL opener on NBC HD and its completely unwatchable. I've recorded "The Departed" from HBO HD 3 times now. Each time pixellated and unwatchable.

So I rebooted it tonight. It said it was installing a service upgrade. Just as pixellated as before. The update made no difference for me.

My upstairs HDTV is showing the raw free HD cable crystal clear.
Unix_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #239
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix_Beard
Well, I'm experiencing severe pixellation. It did it on occasion when I first got it but now its a regular occurence. And its not just a few times, its constant through the entire program making it unwatchable. It didn't annoy the hell out of me until tonight when I tune into the NFL opener on NBC HD and its completely unwatchable. I've recorded "The Departed" from HBO HD 3 times now. Each time pixellated and unwatchable.

So I rebooted it tonight. It said it was installing a service upgrade. Just as pixellated as before. The update made no difference for me.

My upstairs HDTV is showing the raw free HD cable crystal clear.
Can you confirm on the System Information screen that you have 8.1.7c2?

Also remember that the new update only addresses the issue for live TV and new recordings made after the update. It does not 'fix' recordings made before the update.

If you are still seeing pixelization on new recordings made after the 8.1.7c2 update, have you tried plugging the TivoHD in to your cable line upstairs? There could be a signal problem with your cable feed downstairs. Recall that the TivoHD is more sensitive to signal problems than the cable company box.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #240
damonnoah

[quote=bkdtv]Can you confirm on the System Information screen that you have 8.1.7c2?

Hi Folks this looks like very encouraging reports, however this seems to be for th Tivo HD and not the Tivo Series 3. I'm running with the series 3 and still have pixelation issues. Any thoughts? Any reason why this update wouldn't be released to Series 3 folks out there?
damonnoah is offline   Reply With Quote