Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #1591
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantruong View Post
My situation-
Started off with just analogue cable for about a week-- no macro-blocking on analogue channels or QAM, occasional very minor macro-blocking on menus
Two SA cable cards (s-stream) installed- still no macro-blocking on analogue channels, but now random macro-blocking on hi-def and digital channels, brief, but every 3-10 min, on every hd and digital channel.
I'm not a expert, but according to my cable tech, I have "excellent" signal strength (he checked it with some kind of meter, both outside, and at the line going into the Tivo box...
I can also confirm the Tivo shows 100% signal on all channels...
I don't know if this info will help the experts on the forum narrow down the cause, but I thought it was worth posting my experience--
I would hope a fix or official announcement from Tivo would happen soon, as everyone seems to be getting different answers from Tivo customer service... I tend to believe Megazone, as he has stated on his blog and in these forums:
"do note that TiVo is aware of them and is working on additional updates to correct them."
Macroblocking on a TiVo menu is very unlikely to have anything to do with your RF signal level or the cablecards. I would expect that kind of effect to be relative to HDCP compatibility between the display and the TiVo.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #1592
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Macroblocking on a TiVo menu is very unlikely to have anything to do with your RF signal level or the cablecards. I would expect that kind of effect to be relative to HDCP compatibility between the display and the TiVo.
But he said he had macro-blocking on "hi-def" and "digital" channels, every 3 to 10 mins.

I can't imagine how he could still be running 8.2 or 9.2 software, as he stated in another thread,
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10081122
but seems like that should be corrected before worrying about any other issue. Software that old must not have the fix for the sdv switching glitch that **you** were instrumental in getting Tivo to fix (and thanks again!).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #1593
SCSIRAID

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
But he said he had macro-blocking on "hi-def" and "digital" channels, every 3 to 10 mins.

I can't imagine how he could still be running 8.2 or 9.2 software, as he stated in another thread,
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10081122
but seems like that should be corrected before worrying about any other issue. Software that old must not have the fix for the sdv switching glitch that **you** were instrumental in getting Tivo to fix (and thanks again!).
He also said... 'no macro-blocking on analogue channels or QAM, occasional very minor macro-blocking on menus'. This is what led to my comment.

Agree... not sure how he could be on software that old and that certainly needs fixed.

The best way to prove signal issues is to watch live until you see macroblocking and then check DVR Diags RS uncorrected counts (of course check counts when you start the experiment)... assuming the TiVo is on current software. This is the acid test.

You're welcome...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote