TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #1381
hakoreh1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackie View Post
I too have the same issue. I believe that it started on 1/16.
I have a Tivo Series 3 and a dual cable card setup. I contacted Cablevision and a tech did come out but he simple confirmed that the issue was most likely due to recent system upgrades and that other people in the Brooklyn are were experiencing the same issue. It is definitely not a Tivo problem. My other Hd channels are fine and there is no issue with standard def.

It is fortunate that I really don't watch a lot of NBC but very bad since I watch 24. ;-p

no one was very clear on when the poblem would be fixed.

Ian
I've had this same problem for about 10 days now. I've had a technician over already who has declared it a TiVo problem. He also tried to connect a regular Cablevision HD box and it worked flawlessly. He tried changing cable cards but that only made the pixelation worse so he put back the older cable card. I've tried attenuating and the result is with 16 or 10 the TiVo says no signal, with 6 and 3 there is a weak signal that goes in and out.

Cablevision has comped me $180 since because they have had technicians come and go, people tell me I have a tuning adapter (where the local store says it's only for LI locations) and so on and so on.

I have a tech coming tomorrow (GD Willing) so I see it's not only me and that's a good thing but what can I do? I don't want to go to FIOS especially with the higher cancellation fee now.

By the way it only happens on HD - NBC, FOX, and WPIX (704, 705, 711). It won't happen on any other channel.
hakoreh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #1382
hakoreh1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
I think I found a way (I think) to test whether it is the Tivo or Cablevision signal. I have an Amazon on Demand account and I'm downloading a movie now. Once it finishes, if it plays flawlessly it has to be the Cablevision signal right?
hakoreh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #1383
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakoreh1 View Post
I think I found a way (I think) to test whether it is the Tivo or Cablevision signal. I have an Amazon on Demand account and I'm downloading a movie now. Once it finishes, if it plays flawlessly it has to be the Cablevision signal right?
No, not necessarily. The best experiment to run is to watch the 'offending' channel live. As you start, go into DVR Diags and check the RS Uncorrected and Corrected counts. As you watch and see events, go back into DVR Diags and recheck the RS counts. Post back what you see. The RS Uncorrected counter counts how many times the demodulator was unable to recover any bit errors in the data in a packet. These events will likely result in macroblocking. If the counts remain zero then the macroblocking is either 'upstream' from the hub (i.e. came from the provider) or something else is going on such as the mpeg PAT is changing (which will cause macroblocking on TiVo).
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #1384
hakoreh1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
well the movie played fine. The most awesome part of this is that I kid you not the Tivo is back to normal thank GD. There are no pixelations or anything? On ANY channel.

By the way I did say I was having the same problem as the others which means that my RS corrected and uncorrected was jumping and increasing by the second.

in any case thanks
hakoreh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #1385
Brighton Line
Registered User
 
Brighton Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakoreh1 View Post
I think I found a way (I think) to test whether it is the Tivo or Cablevision signal. I have an Amazon on Demand account and I'm downloading a movie now. Once it finishes, if it plays flawlessly it has to be the Cablevision signal right?
I've been working with the Brooklyn Cablebvision of NYC office on the issue of pixelation on 704/705/711. I've had a cable tech and even a CV enginer over to the apartment as I'm getting pixelation on those channels on both of my Tivo's (Tivo HD and Tivo Series 3 (Original)) as well as on clear QAM on my TV when I move the coax over to it.
I've removed all but two splitters in the apartment (one where it comes thru the wall for the modem and one between bedroom/living room). The signal on those channels drop to low 80's and lower and even the SNR goes to zero when the pixelation happens.
CV has been to the apartment THREE times with various meters and even a cablebox and yes the pixelation has hapened with the cablebox though the meter's they have used says everthing is fine.

Note that their cablecard in the Brooklyn office they are having the same issue I'm told but they do not have a Tivo.

I've talked to Tivo and all they say is for me to tell CV to put an amp on the line. LOL

As of this morning the problem isn't fixed but I've been told by the Brooklyn Office they will continue to work on the issue and contact me with updates.

FWIW
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #1386
Brighton Line
Registered User
 
Brighton Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
As of this morning the problem isn't fixed but I've been told by the Brooklyn Office they will continue to work on the issue and contact me with updates.
Not to quote myself but the wife just called saying Cablevision Tech that was at our house just called and asked her to check 704/705/711 to see if we still had the issue.

When I checked this morning at 5am we had it but at 9am when she checked all three channels were fine.

The CV Tech did not allude as to what the isssue was but as of 9am this morning we do not have any pixelation on Cablevision 704/705/711 any more.

Thank goodness.
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #1387
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,190
Sooo, I'm having a problem that I hope is my HD, although it's less than a year old. I took the drive out of my TiVo HD (this is a replacement WD Green 1TB drive I put in last May, when my stock TiVo HD died on me after 15 months) and grabbed the WD Lifeguard ISO as recommended in various places, burned it to a CD, hooked up my WD drive to that system, rebooted.

It booted off the CD (I know how to create a bootable CD), but then I got a blank screen for about 2 minutes, then it said:

Code:
Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT.
Make sure that the License and Agreement is in the same path as DLGDIAG5.EXE
and I got an A: prompt. Doing "dir" I can see that that file is right there. Running DLGDIAG5 from the prompt gives me the same behavior. Re-burning the ISO gives me the same behavior. Using Google I can found tons of other people reporting the same problem over the last 3-4 years but none of them have any solution.

Has this actually ever worked for anyone here? Does anyone have any idea how to work around this or how to handle it differently?
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #1388
Phantom Gremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
I've had a cable tech and even a CV enginer over to the apartment as I'm getting pixelation on those channels on both of my Tivo's (Tivo HD and Tivo Series 3 (Original)) as well as on clear QAM on my TV when I move the coax over to it.
I've removed all but two splitters in the apartment (one where it comes thru the wall for the modem and one between bedroom/living room). The signal on those channels drop to low 80's and lower and even the SNR goes to zero when the pixelation happens.
CV has been to the apartment THREE times with various meters and even a cablebox and yes the pixelation has hapened with the cablebox though the meter's they have used says everthing is fine.
Perhaps the keyword here is apartment. You're all crowded together, and who knows how clean the cable distribution setup is, especially if its a few decades old.

Cable is, to a large extent, a shared medium. Much different than FiOS, which provides a pristine signal from the central office to an ONT and then from the ONT to a single residence.

So maybe some bozo in another apartment has done something stupid. Like hooking up an RF modulator onto the cable? Or one of 100 other ways your neighbor can interfere with your signal. Foo. I'm sure its possible for CV to detect this interference, but probably not with the equipment they normally bring with them.

Out in the suburbs fortunately cable has a "tap" architecture to every house. A tap is an asymmetric splitter where most of the signal continues and only a very small fraction is sent to a given house. This also works in reverse. Any "garbage" done to a signal in a house is greatly attenuated by the tap before it can get to any nearby house. Not as clean as FiOS, but overall, cable works pretty well out here.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #1389
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Sooo, I'm having a problem that I hope is my HD, although it's less than a year old. I took the drive out of my TiVo HD (this is a replacement WD Green 1TB drive I put in last May, when my stock TiVo HD died on me after 15 months) and grabbed the WD Lifeguard ISO as recommended in various places, burned it to a CD, hooked up my WD drive to that system, rebooted.

It booted off the CD (I know how to create a bootable CD), but then I got a blank screen for about 2 minutes, then it said:

Code:
Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT.
Make sure that the License and Agreement is in the same path as DLGDIAG5.EXE
and I got an A: prompt. Doing "dir" I can see that that file is right there. Running DLGDIAG5 from the prompt gives me the same behavior. Re-burning the ISO gives me the same behavior. Using Google I can found tons of other people reporting the same problem over the last 3-4 years but none of them have any solution.

Has this actually ever worked for anyone here? Does anyone have any idea how to work around this or how to handle it differently?
Why not use the Windows version of the WD diagnostics? Just download it, connect your drive and run.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #1390
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 3,190
First, because I don't run Windows at home. All my systems run GNU/Linux. Second, it didn't work; I actually do have one Windows option: my current system I bought last fall came with Windows and when I installed Linux, rather than reformat the entire drive, I reduced the size of the Windows partition way down and installed Linux on the bulk of the drive. So, to try this out I did boot that Windows partition (I'd never actually even tried it since I reduced the partition the day I received the system, but it did work--yay Linux!). However the Windows version of this couldn't see the drive: after I opened it, there was no WD hardware available to test listed in the application even though using the Windows device manager I could see the drive was there and working.

Anyway, I did figure out a work around to this. I noticed that my cd/dvd player was on SATA, and I wondered if maybe the WD diags software couldn't handle it (even though it's not a driver problem: it was able to run the diags tool and after I got the A: prompt back I could "DIR", print the license file it was looking for, retry the diags program, etc.).

So, I had an old USB CD/DVD player and I plugged that in, put the CD in it, fixed the boot order in the BIOS to boot off of that first, and voila! Worked like a charm, first time.

The "bad" news? Even the WD drive extended test, after running for almost 4 hours, showed zero errors. So, my issue doesn't appear to be a drive problem.
__________________
"Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional!" -- Mad Scientist
madscientist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #1391
Marylander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2
Advice needed

Hello,
I got my TivoHD in December 2008 and recently started seeing severe pixelation and audio drops in December. I called Tivo and was told it was a signal problem and to get an attenuator and contact my cable company.

At the time, my signal strength as displayed on the Tivo's DVR Diagnostics screen was 100 and would often fluctuate between 0 and 100.

Since then, Comcast has come by several times. The techs have replaced the CableCard, splitters and have adjusted the signal at the tap. It appears that now the signal strength fluctuates between 87 and 93, the SNR is between 34 and 36, but the RS corrected and uncorrected number in the thousands and steadily climb.

On the last visit, the techs connected a cable box next to the splitter with theTivo and tuned them both to the same channel (each was displayed on its own television). The television with the cable box showed no pixelation and the box reported an RS uncorrected of 0. The television with the Tivo showed pixelation and the Tivo reported an RS uncorrected within the thousands (and climbing) within a few minutes. We swapped the televisions and witnessed the same issue. The tech then connected the Tivo directly to the tap and we still saw the same pixelation with high numbers of RS uncorrected errors.

The pixelation occurs on all channels and is not limited to just the HD ones and occurs when recording or watching live TV (though I understand even live TV is always recording). I do have a 1TB My DVR Expander, which I got in June, and I replaced the eSATA cable last month with the one recommended on this forum. I have run Kickstarts 57, 58 and 54, none of which reported any errors.

I'm not sure what else I can try. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another Tivo to test it out. Comcast says it's a problem with the Tivo and Tivo says it's a signal problem with Comcast.

The last Tivo representative I spoke with offered to swap out the Tivo, but insists I will experience the same issues with another Tivo.

Can any experts weigh in with some advice? I don't mind swapping the Tivo, but if it's likely not the Tivo unit that's the problem, I'd prefer not to lose my shows.
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #1392
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
Hello,
I got my TivoHD in December 2008 and recently started seeing severe pixelation and audio drops in December. I called Tivo and was told it was a signal problem and to get an attenuator and contact my cable company.

At the time, my signal strength as displayed on the Tivo's DVR Diagnostics screen was 100 and would often fluctuate between 0 and 100.

Since then, Comcast has come by several times. The techs have replaced the CableCard, splitters and have adjusted the signal at the tap. It appears that now the signal strength fluctuates between 87 and 93, the SNR is between 34 and 36, but the RS corrected and uncorrected number in the thousands and steadily climb.

On the last visit, the techs connected a cable box next to the splitter with theTivo and tuned them both to the same channel (each was displayed on its own television). The television with the cable box showed no pixelation and the box reported an RS uncorrected of 0. The television with the Tivo showed pixelation and the Tivo reported an RS uncorrected within the thousands (and climbing) within a few minutes. We swapped the televisions and witnessed the same issue. The tech then connected the Tivo directly to the tap and we still saw the same pixelation with high numbers of RS uncorrected errors.

The pixelation occurs on all channels and is not limited to just the HD ones and occurs when recording or watching live TV (though I understand even live TV is always recording). I do have a 1TB My DVR Expander, which I got in June, and I replaced the eSATA cable last month with the one recommended on this forum. I have run Kickstarts 57, 58 and 54, none of which reported any errors.

I'm not sure what else I can try. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another Tivo to test it out. Comcast says it's a problem with the Tivo and Tivo says it's a signal problem with Comcast.

The last Tivo representative I spoke with offered to swap out the Tivo, but insists I will experience the same issues with another Tivo.

Can any experts weigh in with some advice? I don't mind swapping the Tivo, but if it's likely not the Tivo unit that's the problem, I'd prefer not to lose my shows.
The RS Uncorrected numbers climbing indicate that the TiVo tuner is having a tough time locking onto the signal. Did they happen to tell you what the actual signal level going to TiVo was (in dBmV?). For a THD, 34 is a little low for SNR but should be fine. My THD shows signal strength of 100 with 36 db SNR and is fine. Can you set up an antenna and rerun guided setup and check out performance of OTA? That might help understand what is going on. Is the signal strength and SNR 'stable' as it is now or is it fluctuating up and down randomly?

If I had to speculate based on the info provided, I would tend to agree with Comcast and put the issue on TiVo. The DVR expander and cable have nothing to do with this since clearly the demodulator is reporting RS errors in the tuner output.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #1393
Marylander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
The RS Uncorrected numbers climbing indicate that the TiVo tuner is having a tough time locking onto the signal. Did they happen to tell you what the actual signal level going to TiVo was (in dBmV?). For a THD, 34 is a little low for SNR but should be fine. My THD shows signal strength of 100 with 36 db SNR and is fine. Can you set up an antenna and rerun guided setup and check out performance of OTA? That might help understand what is going on. Is the signal strength and SNR 'stable' as it is now or is it fluctuating up and down randomly?

If I had to speculate based on the info provided, I would tend to agree with Comcast and put the issue on TiVo. The DVR expander and cable have nothing to do with this since clearly the demodulator is reporting RS errors in the tuner output.
Thanks for the fast reply.

I have the work order from Comcast and for Ch. 3, it says 14.4 for TAP, 13.4 for G.B. and 6.6 for SET.

I set up an antenna and I only get a strong signal for one channel (Ch. 22). After 15 minutes tuned to that channel, the Tivo was showing a signal strength of between 81 and 85, an SNR of 27-28, RS Uncorrected of 570 and RS Corrected of 2,070.

During the last visit from Comcast, I had two supervisors and two lead techs here troubleshooting. I put them on the phone with the Tivo rep who insisted an attenuator was the answer to all of my problems. The Comcast tech tried to explain that if they lowered the SNR with an attenuator, it would cause more problems.

The explanation from the Tivo rep of why the Tivo showed errors when the cable box didn't is that the Tivo is extremely sensitive and needs a clean signal that is neither too strong nor too weak to operate properly.

Should I go ahead and exchange the Tivo or are there other steps I should try first?

Last edited by Marylander : 02-10-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Correct diagnostics
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #1394
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
Thanks for the fast reply.

I have the work order from Comcast and for Ch. 3, it says 14.4 for TAP, 13.4 for G.B. and 6.6 for SET.

I set up an antenna and I only get a strong signal for one channel (Ch. 22). After 15 minutes tuned to that channel, the Tivo was showing a signal strength of between 81 and 85, an SNR of 27-28, RS Uncorrected of 570 and RS Corrected of 2,070.

During the last visit from Comcast, I had two supervisors and two lead techs here troubleshooting. I put them on the phone with the Tivo rep who insisted an attenuator was the answer to all of my problems. The Comcast tech tried to explain that if they lowered the SNR with an attenuator, it would cause more problems.

The explanation from the Tivo rep of why the Tivo showed errors when the cable box didn't is that the Tivo is extremely sensitive and needs a clean signal that is neither too strong nor too weak to operate properly.

Should I go ahead and exchange the Tivo or are there other steps I should try first?
Well, the fact that you are also getting RS Uncorrected OTA tends to say its the TiVo... but its not definitive. One more thing I would try... Take your TiVo over to a friends house and hook it up there and see what happens. If you still get all the breakups and RS Uncorrecteds, then I would 'trade it in for a new one'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #1395
amatheu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 61
Most of time the pixelations are from the cable co. not your equipment. your tivo was recording in the moment the cable start pixelations, I saw in my cable but I was not recording in that moments, most in HD channels
amatheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #1396
gdomeier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sartell, MN USA
Posts: 64
Has anyone noticed they get pixilation when recording two hd shows at the same time?
gdomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #1397
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdomeier View Post
Has anyone noticed they get pixilation when recording two hd shows at the same time?
Nope... I do it all the time and have never seen that. There is a known problem with pixelation on SDV channels though.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #1398
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdomeier View Post
Has anyone noticed they get pixilation when recording two hd shows at the same time?
The most likely cause of this is a failing hard drive. There shouldn't be any difference whether you're recording the two channels or just have them tuned, as the TiVo is always "recording" the tuned channels to a 30 min buffer on disk anyway.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #1399
jonja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
On my Tivo HD, I get a lot of pixelation on just a couple of channels: SyFy HD and Cartoon Network HD. On Charter here in CT, I believe both are SDV channels. SyFy is almost watchable (and I don't just mean 'Mansquito III: Death from the Cesspool').

I have checked SyFy live and still see pixelation, exactly the same as what I see recorded...and I never see any errors (corrected or uncorrected) while it is live. I keep the signal strength between 87 and 93 on most channels, and SNR is usually around 35dB (never higher).

I don't get pixelation on any other channels. On those channels where I see a few errors (such as Home & Garden), the picture is perfect. Go figure.

Last November, I replaced the internal hard drive to help deal with this (a 1TB Western Digital, *exact* same hard drive used in Tivo XL) and got rid of my DVR Expander, but other than spending a lot of time and money, it did nothing for this issue.

Two days ago, I called Charter and they replaced the Tuner Adapter just in case. Pixelation is still going strong on SyFy. The technician swears it is not in the source, and I have been seeing this problem since last June when I first got the Adapter.
jonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #1400
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonja View Post
On my Tivo HD, I get a lot of pixelation on just a couple of channels: SyFy HD and Cartoon Network HD. On Charter here in CT, I believe both are SDV channels. SyFy is almost watchable (and I don't just mean 'Mansquito III: Death from the Cesspool').

I have checked SyFy live and still see pixelation, exactly the same as what I see recorded...and I never see any errors (corrected or uncorrected) while it is live. I keep the signal strength between 87 and 93 on most channels, and SNR is usually around 35dB (never higher).

I don't get pixelation on any other channels. On those channels where I see a few errors (such as Home & Garden), the picture is perfect. Go figure.

Last November, I replaced the internal hard drive to help deal with this (a 1TB Western Digital, *exact* same hard drive used in Tivo XL) and got rid of my DVR Expander, but other than spending a lot of time and money, it did nothing for this issue.

Two days ago, I called Charter and they replaced the Tuner Adapter just in case. Pixelation is still going strong on SyFy. The technician swears it is not in the source, and I have been seeing this problem since last June when I first got the Adapter.
Wow... Deja Vu..... Sounds familiar to me.... Have you checked it on a TWC box instead of a TiVo? Probably none there... right? Welcome to the club
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #1401
gdomeier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sartell, MN USA
Posts: 64
It always seems to happen during survivor. Do you know if there is a hd test util I can run on my tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
The most likely cause of this is a failing hard drive. There shouldn't be any difference whether you're recording the two channels or just have them tuned, as the TiVo is always "recording" the tuned channels to a 30 min buffer on disk anyway.

gdomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #1402
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdomeier View Post
It always seems to happen during survivor. Do you know if there is a hd test util I can run on my tivo?
Yes, **here** is the official unofficial guide to the "kickstart" tests which are the only ones you can run on the TiVo. Kickstart 54 is a drive test but it doesn't find every possible problem. Beyond these tests, you would have to remove the drive from the TiVo and run mfr's extended tests on it.

If it is a failing drive, it will probably get "worser faster" so you will soon know. If you need to replace the drive and are past warranty, see the Drive Expansion sticky thread at top of this forum or see DVRupgrade.com or Weaknees.com.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #1403
Phantom Gremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Wow... Deja Vu..... Sounds familiar to me.... Have you checked it on a TWC box instead of a TiVo? Probably none there... right? Welcome to the club
I second this suggestion. Usually a cable company will be willing to give you a "free" DVR for a number of months. It would be very interesting to hear if that box has the problem.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #1404
jonja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 77
Big Grin maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I second this suggestion. Usually a cable company will be willing to give you a "free" DVR for a number of months. It would be very interesting to hear if that box has the problem.
I seriously doubt Charter DVR customers have this problem. If I found, as I suspect I would, their DVR works fine, it just tells me the problem isn't in the source.

The fact this only happens on a couple of channels, and SDV only, with no signal issues or errors and everything is properly attenuated, makes it clear this isn't a general Tivo hardware issue either. Most channels are flawless; only SDV channels are pixelated. Also, I swapped hard drives and it made no difference other than vastly increasing my capacity. Not that I have anything against that. And frankly, it doesn't explain why all of the other channels are perfect.

It would be useful if I had another Tivo HD with another Tuning adapter to compare it to. But I suspect I am just another victim of the SDV pixelation bug that others have alluded to. Does anyone more information on this topic?
jonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #1405
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonja View Post
I seriously doubt Charter DVR customers have this problem. If I found, as I suspect I would, their DVR works fine, it just tells me the problem isn't in the source.

The fact this only happens on a couple of channels, and SDV only, with no signal issues or errors and everything is properly attenuated, makes it clear this isn't a general Tivo hardware issue either. Most channels are flawless; only SDV channels are pixelated. Also, I swapped hard drives and it made no difference other than vastly increasing my capacity. Not that I have anything against that. And frankly, it doesn't explain why all of the other channels are perfect.

It would be useful if I had another Tivo HD with another Tuning adapter to compare it to. But I suspect I am just another victim of the SDV pixelation bug that others have alluded to. Does anyone more information on this topic?
Here in Raleigh, we have proven that the SDV pixelation issue is due to programs being added to or removed from the Transport Stream. Whenever the TS changes, TiVo pixelates/macroblocks (if the stream you are watching is encrypted). Turn off encryption and the problem disappears. Linear channels are 'static' and do not exhibit the problem. TWC tells me that TiVo understands the cause of the problem but stopped short of saying when or if it would be fixed.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #1406
Max Camber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 41
I just received a call back from TiVo this morning and can confirm that they are working on a fix for the SDV macroblocking/pixelation issue. As usual they will not give any sort of time frame for when it will be released.
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #1407
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
I just received a call back from TiVo this morning and can confirm that they are working on a fix for the SDV macroblocking/pixelation issue. As usual they will not give any sort of time frame for when it will be released.
Excellent news... confirms what TWC told me.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #1408
Carlos_E
Registered User
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
I've been working with the Brooklyn Cablebvision of NYC office on the issue of pixelation on 704/705/711. I've had a cable tech and even a CV enginer over to the apartment as I'm getting pixelation on those channels on both of my Tivo's (Tivo HD and Tivo Series 3 (Original)) as well as on clear QAM on my TV when I move the coax over to it.
I've removed all but two splitters in the apartment (one where it comes thru the wall for the modem and one between bedroom/living room). The signal on those channels drop to low 80's and lower and even the SNR goes to zero when the pixelation happens.
CV has been to the apartment THREE times with various meters and even a cablebox and yes the pixelation has hapened with the cablebox though the meter's they have used says everthing is fine.

Note that their cablecard in the Brooklyn office they are having the same issue I'm told but they do not have a Tivo.

I've talked to Tivo and all they say is for me to tell CV to put an amp on the line. LOL

As of this morning the problem isn't fixed but I've been told by the Brooklyn Office they will continue to work on the issue and contact me with updates.

FWIW
I also have cablevision in Brooklyn and I was having the same issue with channel 704 around the same date of your posts. I was encoding and trying to watch Heros and it was unwatchable. Pixelating every 10 seconds. I thought it was a problem with my DVR hard drive but now I see I wasn't the only person having the problem.
Carlos_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #1409
erb2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4
Our Series 3 was working fine for two years. Suddenly, we couldn't tune a bunch of channels. It would say, "Searching for signal: Cable In". Other channels would be OK, but would have pixelation. Diagnostics showed increasing RS Uncorrected values. Cable company measured signal as fine. Tivo signal strengh is 95, S/N is 35. Some channels that would not tune initially, would tune if you first went to a working channel, and then back. We've been living with this problem for months.

Now, suddenly today, we can't tune many more channels unless we first go to a working channel. Sometimes while watching it will drop the channel and say, "Searching for signal: Cable In."

Of course the cable box downstairs works fine. My wife wants to get rid of the Tivo and put in a cable box and Comcast DVR. Right. NFW.

I've done a bunch of tests with the physical cable, including eliminating all of the splitters. Also tried an amplifier. Nothing helped. I have not tried an attenuator. Do you think I should?

Any suggestions? At this point I wouldn't mind swapping the unit if I could get lifetime service transferred. Would Tivo do that for free? Is there a repair service that could fix this?
erb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #1410
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by erb2000 View Post
Our Series 3 was working fine for two years. <snip>
It sounds like classic cable card failure. It doesn't happen often, but it absolutely does happen. Sometimes a cable card firmware update will present problems (or fail) or they just die.

Are you seeing issues on both tuners or only one? If only one I'd say that cable card needs to be replaced. If on both I'd say that they either both need to be re-initialized/re-paired/re-hit by your cableco and if that doesn't work replacing them would be the next step.

You can try calling your cableco to have them do a few things over the phone (if they will) but a truck roll is probably in your future. There shouldn't be any charge if it turns out to be a cable card problem. If they do send a tech out ask them to have him/her bring more than a couple of replacement cable cards. There are stories here and on other forums about techs having to try up to a dozen or more cable cards before finding a couple that will work.

BTW you probably have two "S" (single-stream) cable cards. Most cableco's only have "M" (multi-stream) cable cards now. That's fine, but whichever they have you will still need two cable cards for your Series3.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |