TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #1351
opus123

update

1st tivo
SNR: 35db
RS uncorrected: 672
RS corrected: 560 (still climbing slowly)

2nd tivo -- unchanged

is this cause for alarm?
opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #1352
opus123

1st tivo
RS uncorrected: 1344
RS corrected: 1101

2nd tivo unchanged

Any idea what this could mean?

last update:
1st tivo RS #'s continue to climb
2nd tivo corrected only went to 6

Last edited by opus123 : 01-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #1353
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
1st tivo

2nd tivo unchanged

last update:
Are the two TiVo's tuned to the same channel? And what are the signal strengths?

The SNR's are plenty good. However the climbing error counts do indicate some kind of signal problem.

Do the same comparison for a couple of other channels where you see differences between the two units. It's strange to see error counts without either a low signal strength or low SNR. (Low SNR would be less than 31 dB for a digital cable signal.) Can you do the TiVo swap I suggested?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #1354
opus123

Yes both were tuned to the same channel. Signal strengths continually fluctuated between 87 and 93.

I see the same problems on each unit on certain channels (NY, WPIXDT local hd being the worst), with Tivo 2 behaving a little better than Tivo 1. I just checked and RS numbers on tivo 2 had climbed significantly as well... just took longer to start and progress.

I'll try to do a tivo swap tomorrow morning if you still think that's relevant.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #1355
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Yes both were tuned to the same channel. Signal strengths continually fluctuated between 87 and 93.

I see the same problems on each unit on certain channels (NY, WPIXDT local hd being the worst), with Tivo 2 behaving a little better than Tivo 1. I just checked and RS numbers on tivo 2 had climbed significantly as well... just took longer to start and progress.

What really counts is the rate of error counts, i.e., how much they increase per second or minute. There isn't any specification on how many are too many unfortunately.

If you see siginificantly worse problems on one TiVo than the on the other, the swap is the only relatively simple way I know to determine whether the difference is due to the signals or is a difference in the TiVo units. Your error count rates seem to be higher on one of the TiVo's, correct? That would suggest it's a signal problem.

Normally you don't see increasing error counts, so something seems wrong. But your signal strengths and SNRs are good so it's a puzzle. For lack of anything else to suggest, you might ask the cable co. to check your signals.

and
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #1356
richsadams

Quote:
1st tivo

2nd tivo unchanged

last update:
dlfl is correct (as usual)...in your case the RS Uncorrected error count can be the key. I'll add my two cents (but remember you get what you pay for here. )

Since you have two TiVo's, swapping them out is an easy way to pinpoint a bad cable drop, splitter, etc. Signal strength can vary slightly (say from 89 to 93) but wild and/or constant swings means there's a problem.

IIRC you said you had the coax running through a surge protector? That connection s/b removed. Surge protectors will add signal noise no matter how good they are. Your TiVo s/b connected to a good UPS (like this one) and the coax directly from the wall if possible. You want as clean a signal as you can get. Anything and everything in between the cable drop at the street, including old coax cable, splitters, old or loose connectors, etc., can degrade the signal. Try to come as close as possible to a pristine coax connection. Make sure that the connection is insulated from other sources of trouble including water leakage (rain/snow can cause all sorts of problems), additional power supplies, etc. If things look good start reintroducing the various elements and you should be able to find the piece that's causing some problems.

RS Uncorrected errors are how TiVo meausures signal errors that cause PQ issues and audio dropouts. If you see 0 RS Uncorrected errors on a channel, then you know you are seeing the channel just as it is delivered. A few dozen or even a few hundred RS Uncorrected errors won't be noticeable, but if you see millions of RS Uncorrected errors per minute (and climbing), then you know that additional problems and A/V degradation is being introduced.

When tuned to these problematic channels, do you see thousands or even millions of RS Uncorrected errors on the DVR Diagnostics screen? Remember between the two TiVo's you have four tuners. Tuning each to the same (problematic) channel can sometimes isolate the issue. If RSUE's are more or less the same on all four tuners the signal is most likely the issue (could be caused by a defective splitter or cable). If it's only on one tuner on one TiVo it's probably a cable card issue or could be a TiVo tuner problem.

Now with all of that said, if you see this pixelization with few or no RS Uncorrected errors, then chances are good that there's a problem with the hard drive. The disk errors tend to be most noticable on HD channels. That doesn't sound like the issue here though since your RSUE's are present and climbing.

Overall it may just be something as simple as the cable signal developing a problem (anything from your street drop to something at the neighborhod node to the head end) and as dlfl suggests, having them come out and test the signal and fix it may cure everything. Or just as simple, it might be something in your setup (a splitter or coax cable for example) getting flaky.

Hope that helps and let us know what you find out.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #1357
SCSIRAID

Quote:

Do you have a tuning adapter? The TA has pretty good signal measuring capability. You can get the actual strength in dBmV as opposed to a 0-100 scale.

Rich and dlfl are exactly right... eliminate as many connections as you can.. splitters, surge protectors.. they can be trouble. I dont pass my RF thru my TA even. I split prior and feed both separately. It bypasses the splitter/amp/filter in the TA.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 01-06-2010 at 11:28 AM.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #1358
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Now with all of that said, if you see this pixelization with few or no RS Uncorrected errors, then chances are good that there's a problem with the hard drive. The disk errors tend to be most noticable on HD channels. That doesn't sound like the issue here though since your RSUE's are present and climbing.
Not in all cases....

See this post... There are inherent problems with pixelation on at least several SDV systems.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post7702489

Also, the program source can contain errors which are simply shipped on thru by the provider. The FEC (Forward Error Correction) which drives the RS values doesnt detect any errors because the errors were already there when the stream was modulated onto the QAM and the FEC was generated.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #1359
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Not in all cases....

See this post... There are inherent problems with pixelation on at least several SDV systems.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...89#post7702489

Also, the program source can contain errors which are simply shipped on thru by the provider. The FEC (Forward Error Correction) which drives the RS values doesnt detect any errors because the errors were already there when the stream was modulated onto the QAM and the FEC was generated.
Good points. Once in a while we'll watch a show while it's recording and see some PQ problems. Checking the RS Errors shows little to none so it's obvious the problem is with the provider, not TiVo.

Thanks for the link...good info.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #1360
naclone

hi everybody. I switched to FiOS about a year ago and did a lot of reading in this thread and the FiOS attenuation thread anticipating pixelation issues that never manifested. Until now.

I have a Series 3 running 11.0d with 1TB My DVR Expander which has been connected for 6 months or so. This week started to see pixelation issues as have been described here so often and which are consistently reproducible on playback.

whenever i've experienced the pixelation i immediately check the diagnostics screen but consistently see no RS errors. Signal Strength is consistently 100, SNR alternates regularly between 36 and 37 dB and RS Uncorrected and Corrected are both zero. this is the case for both tuners.

trying to catch back up (and it looks like the FiOS discussion has moved here?) but if I am not seeing errors reported is that 100% indicative it is not an attenuation issue and more likely a hard drive issue? or should i try attenuation to see what happens?

Also this week our TivoHD (also with a 1TB My DVR Expander) has been experiencing stuttering but not pixelation. these are sometimes reproducible on playback, but not always. Not sure if the two issues are in any way related or if its truly coincidence. but thought it worth mentioning.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #1361
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
hi everybody. I switched to FiOS about a year ago and did a lot of reading in this thread and the FiOS attenuation thread anticipating pixelation issues that never manifested. Until now.

I have a Series 3 running 11.0d with 1TB My DVR Expander which has been connected for 6 months or so. This week started to see pixelation issues as have been described here so often and which are consistently reproducible on playback.

whenever i've experienced the pixelation i immediately check the diagnostics screen but consistently see no RS errors. Signal Strength is consistently 100, SNR alternates regularly between 36 and 37 dB and RS Uncorrected and Corrected are both zero. this is the case for both tuners.

trying to catch back up (and it looks like the FiOS discussion has moved here?) but if I am not seeing errors reported is that 100% indicative it is not an attenuation issue and more likely a hard drive issue? or should i try attenuation to see what happens?

Also this week our TivoHD (also with a 1TB My DVR Expander) has been experiencing stuttering but not pixelation. these are sometimes reproducible on playback, but not always. Not sure if the two issues are in any way related or if its truly coincidence. but thought it worth mentioning.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Based on numerous reports on the TCF and other forums (as well as your own diagnostics) odds are what you're seeing has nothing to do with FIOS and everything to do with your eSATA drive. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444

You might also try running some of TiVo's built-in diagnostics called "Kickstarts". More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

KS54 in particular may be able to tell you if there's a hard drive issue but it's not fool-proof.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #1362
naclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Based on numerous reports on the TCF and other forums (as well as your own diagnostics) odds are what you're seeing has nothing to do with FIOS and everything to do with your eSATA drive. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444

You might also try running some of TiVo's built-in diagnostics called "Kickstarts". More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

KS54 in particular may be able to tell you if there's a hard drive issue but it's not fool-proof.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
early indications are that simply unplugging the tivos, unplugging and disconnecting the Extenders then reconnecting the Extenders and powering back up, have alleviated both issues.

fingers crossed.

thanks
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #1363
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
early indications are that simply unplugging the tivos, unplugging and disconnecting the Extenders then reconnecting the Extenders and powering back up, have alleviated both issues.

fingers crossed.

thanks
Sounds good. I'd probably invest in the recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable. It's about $10 and some good insurance if that's the issue.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-16-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #1364
pRobinson

I had pixelation on one HD channel. I called Tivo and had my cable company come out - no one helped. I read somewhere(maybe even on this forum) that an attenuator might help. I got a $13 variable attenuator and reduced the signal strength and my problem is gone.
pRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 AM   #1365
mastamind51

may you please point me in the right direction of where you found the variable attenuator for cheap that worked? (i.e. radioshack or an online store, the one you specifically bought would be nice!) Thank you
mastamind51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #1366
pRobinson

http://www.antennasdirect.com/filter-attenuator.html is where I got it - even had free shipping.
pRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #1367
mastamind51

thank you
mastamind51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #1368
opus123

Well definitely a Cablevision related issue. Had a tech here twice. 1st tech changed splitters and connectors but found nothing wrong, but the pixelation persisted.

2nd tech came by today, and simply handed me the workorder to sign. Said he couldn't do anything to help... and that it was central issue with Long Island (i'm in Brooklyn). I couldn't discern if he meant Cablecard firmware or the actual signal push.. not sure if he did either. He said that a ticket was opened to fix the problem but had no way of knowing when it would be resolved.

What's worse is that I bought a 3rd tivo (as a gift w/ lifetime sub)... that I'll probably have to return. I have a week to return the hardware, and about 2.5 weeks to refund the lifetime sub.

I'm not confident Cablevision will fix the problem, since it's not their own equipment (The non-tivo box plays just fine). I'm also uncertain if switching to FIOS will yield a better result.

Are there any other forum Brooklyn, NY Cablevision subscribers having pixelation issues on local HD channels?

Are there still known/unresolved Fios/Tivo problems?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #1369
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Well definitely a Cablevision related issue. Had a tech here twice. 1st tech changed splitters and connectors but found nothing wrong, but the pixelation persisted.

2nd tech came by today, and simply handed me the workorder to sign. Said he couldn't do anything to help... and that it was central issue with Long Island (i'm in Brooklyn). I couldn't discern if he meant Cablecard firmware or the actual signal push.. not sure if he did either. He said that a ticket was opened to fix the problem but had no way of knowing when it would be resolved.

What's worse is that I bought a 3rd tivo (as a gift w/ lifetime sub)... that I'll probably have to return. I have a week to return the hardware, and about 2.5 weeks to refund the lifetime sub.

I'm not confident Cablevision will fix the problem, since it's not their own equipment (The non-tivo box plays just fine). I'm also uncertain if switching to FIOS will yield a better result.

Are there any other forum Brooklyn, NY Cablevision subscribers having pixelation issues on local HD channels?

Is it on all channels or perhaps just on the SDV channels (assuming you have SDV and a Tuning Adapter)...
Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #1370
opus123

I don't have a tuning adapter, and quite honestly, I don't even know which channels would be SDV.

Aside from an occasional glitch on other channels, the pixelation is limited to Local HD channels. Originally 711 (WPIX) & 709 (WOR)... but now includes 704 (NBC), 705 (FOX), and 707 (ABC).

702 (CBS) KNOCK ON WOOD, so far has been ok. I pray CBS holds up through the Jet/Colt playoff game Sunday.

The affected channels show signal strength all over the road 81, 87, 93, 0, 75, 87, 75, 93... I've even seen it hit 100 for a while. The Errors quickly climb into the 5 and 6 digit range. SNR fluctuates around 34,34,36.. but will sometimes fall to 23 for a few moments.

It's a mess.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #1371
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I don't have a tuning adapter, and quite honestly, I don't even know which channels would be SDV.

Aside from an occasional glitch on other channels, the pixelation is limited to Local HD channels. Originally 711 (WPIX) & 709 (WOR)... but now includes 704 (NBC), 705 (FOX), and 707 (ABC).

702 (CBS) KNOCK ON WOOD, so far has been ok. I pray CBS holds up through the Jet/Colt playoff game Sunday.

The affected channels show signal strength all over the road 81, 87, 93, 0, 75, 87, 75, 93... I've even seen it hit 100 for a while. The Errors quickly climb into the 5 and 6 digit range. SNR fluctuates around 34,34,36.. but will sometimes fall to 23 for a few moments.

It's a mess.
Is this a THD or an S3? Probably the first thing I would try is to attenuate the signal. The SNR fluctuation could be due to overload. You could add a 2 way or 4 way splitter in the line and see if that changes anything. Do you have a regular cablebox that you could get into diag mode and see what signal strength it reads on that line?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #1372
ethics13

Quote:

Basically have the same issue here in Brooklyn with Cablevision (IODigital). TiVO HD, series3, channel 4 and 5 are borked with pixelation (704 and 705). Tech came and did basically the same as your tech #1. Told me it's my TiVo since the signal is fine from to the box.
ethics13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #1373
richsadams

Quote:
Can't speak for FIOS in your area but since we switched from Comcast to VZ FIOS almost a year ago it has been problem-free. In fact the PQ has been stunning in some circumstances! (VZ does not compress signals as do cableco's and satellite companies.) There were some signal issues for some a while back (we never experienced any) but TiVo pushed a fix with v11.0d and that took care of it. If you can get FIOS I wouldn't hesitate for a second if I were you.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #1374
tap1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethics13 View Post
Basically have the same issue here in Brooklyn with Cablevision (IODigital). TiVO HD, series3, channel 4 and 5 are borked with pixelation (704 and 705). Tech came and did basically the same as your tech #1. Told me it's my TiVo since the signal is fine from to the box.
Having the same issues with 704 and 705 in Brooklyn.
tap1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #1375
ethics13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap1966 View Post
Having the same issues with 704 and 705 in Brooklyn.
That makes me feel that this is NOT Tivo.
ethics13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #1376
mackie

I too have the same issue. I believe that it started on 1/16.
I have a Tivo Series 3 and a dual cable card setup. I contacted Cablevision and a tech did come out but he simple confirmed that the issue was most likely due to recent system upgrades and that other people in the Brooklyn are were experiencing the same issue. It is definitely not a Tivo problem. My other Hd channels are fine and there is no issue with standard def.

It is fortunate that I really don't watch a lot of NBC but very bad since I watch 24. ;-p

no one was very clear on when the poblem would be fixed.

Ian
mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #1377
jza80

I very recently started to get sound drops and pixelation on my Cox Comm south OC feed. Happens during live viewing and recorded shows, on HD and SD broadcasts (the SD are not as severe), so I am suspecting a supplier issue and not a problem with the Tivo. I guess I'll have to call Cox and see what they can try to do about it.
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #1378
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80 View Post
I very recently started to get sound drops and pixelation on my Cox Comm south OC feed. Happens during live viewing and recorded shows, on HD and SD broadcasts (the SD are not as severe), so I am suspecting a supplier issue and not a problem with the Tivo. I guess I'll have to call Cox and see what they can try to do about it.
Unless this is happening only on specific channels, it sounds like a bad hard drive. HDD problems are worse on HD because of the higher bitrates.

Looks like you just installed the HDD. You might want to run the WD extended diagnostics test on it, although you could start with the Kickstart 54 in the TiVo, realizing the KS tests sometimes don't catch problems.

and
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #1379
jza80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Unless this is happening only on specific channels, it sounds like a bad hard drive. HDD problems are worse on HD because of the higher bitrates.

Looks like you just installed the HDD. You might want to run the WD extended diagnostics test on it, although you could start with the Kickstart 54 in the TiVo, realizing the KS tests sometimes don't catch problems.

Since I am also seeing the problem with live feed, does that still point to a possible HDD problem?
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #1380
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80 View Post
Since I am also seeing the problem with live feed, does that still point to a possible HDD problem?
Even in live mode you're actually seeing what has been written to the disk then read back for display (i.e., the 30 minute buffer), so yes I would say that doesn't rule out the HDD. If you ever view or listen to a channel coming through your TiVo and also through a STB or direct cable-to-TV connection, or an antenna input, you experience close to a seoond of delay on the TiVo because of this. As the HDD fails it has to retry read/writes which makes it take too long to keep up with the video bitrate, thus the pixelation -- at least that's my understanding of it.

and