Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #1321
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranna View Post
.........Here's weird thing #1: if I tune the 2 tuners to HD channels (say 802 which is HBO HD), I get choppy, pixelated unwatchable video. If i tune 1 or both to a SD channel (say channel 4 new york) then I still get pixelated and choppy but not so much. It is watchable but just barely.

Here's weird thing #2: If I leave the tuners on HD channels and then play a recording from the "now playing" list (a recording I've previously watched and verified that it's fine), then the RECORDED program behaves like the live HD video--choppy, freezes, pixelates, hangs). But if i go to live tv, switch both tuners to SD (low-res) channels, then go back to the SAME recorded program, it plays fine!
This is perfectly consistent with a hard drive problem. Disk errors slow down the read/write operations and if they get too slow you see pixelation. Disk read/write workload is higher for HD channels, whether just tuned (and being recorded to buffers) or playing back. You're seeing maximum pixelation for the cases with higher overall disk read/write workload.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #1322
kiranna

Thanks, do you think it would be an internal HD problem or external? I just ran the Kickstart 54 and let it run all day. The summary shows both hard drives passing the test. Given your statements above, would this problem occur on units whose hard drives passed the Kickstart 54?

Last question - the #$*@#$&ers at Tivo are saying that I have to pay $150 to get a replacement because i am out of warranty. ARGH. Would it make more sense for me to just buy a 1TB drive online, and upgrade the unit myself? I would rather not have to shell out $500 for a new TivoHD XL...
kiranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #1323
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The KS54 test doesn't catch all drive problems. The expander drive or its circuitry are the most likely culprits but first rule out your SATA cable. Reseat the connections. If you have another cable substitute it. Next disconnect the expander drive and see if the problems go away. If so run the manufacturer's extended test on the drive. It it passes the problem is the expander housing/circuity. Search for posts by richsadams in the Drive Exapansion sticky thread and you will find recommendations for replacing the housing. Or, upgrade the internal drive to 1 TB, which can be done for under $100 following instructions in that thread. If you have further questions about hard drive issues, I recommend posting them in that thread, where Rich is very attentive and very knowledgeable.

and
Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #1324
richsadams

Quote:
Any ideas?
Without trying to sound like a Mutual Admiration Society member, I agree with dlfl's assessment of it being a hard drive problem. The fact that adding higher data throughput (HD signals have far higher data and consequently require much more I/O data management than SD) would indicate that one of your hard drives is unable to cope in one way or another. Error correction or lack thereof is probably the culprit. In other words, the more you throw at it (HD, playback recordings, etc.) the harder it is for your TiVo to handle it.

Agree also that KS54 is not fool proof. KS57 and/or KS58 may repair the problem, but it sounds much more like hardware failure than data corruption. More on Kickstarts here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post5643823

In the meantime, if you have any recordings you can't live without now would be a very good time to transfer them to a PC using TiVo Desktop or one of the other transfer programs available like KMTTG:

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

You can have a read of the rest of the valuable troubleshooting section in the Official Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Upgrading the internal hard drive is fairly easy if you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a PC. For less than $100 you can install a 1TB hard drive, remove a second failure point (the eSATA drive), have 157 HD and 1367 SD recording hours and basically a brand new TiVo. Everything you need to know can be found on the FAQ linked above.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #1325
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
WTF? ... Any ideas?
Yeah, here's an idea. Hard disks and SATA interfaces are both capable of detecting errors. But TiVo doesn't report them, it just acts stupid and flaky.

Maybe if everyone who had a problem of this sort complained at length to TiVo's customer support phone line about the pathetic error reporting, it would get improved. Or not.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #1326
kiranna

Richs, dlfi--thanks, these are outstanding tips. Tivo has now come back and offered me an essentially free swap of the box. Not sure what to do...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #1327
richsadams

Quote:
Richs, dlfi--thanks, these are outstanding tips. Tivo has now come back and offered me an essentially free swap of the box. Not sure what to do...
Glad to help. I think your best bet is to first save any (non-protected) recordings to your computer (per my earlier note) that you can't live without. Then disconnect and divorce your external hard drive. If TiVo begins functioning normally, then problem solved (and then upgrade the internal drive if you're so inclined). If not, take the exchange offer from TiVo.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #1328
kiranna

Quick update--Rich, I followed your advice, used Tivo desktop to copy some programs to my PC, divorced from the external drive and the Tivo has been working without a glitch. I am almost afraid to write this because i have had so many problems with the Tivo and I don't want to jinx it. I guess if this holds up, then my next step is to do an upgrade of the internal drive following the instructions you pointed me to the other day.

Again, thanks for the great tips. My wife was about to toss the Tivo (and me, almost) out the window.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #1329
ScottEllsworth

Tivo needs to get over the lifetime service transfer fee

My S3, 18months old, and the third replacement I have gotten from TiVo, just stated pixelating, losing sound, and all that jazz. Cable guy came out, signal strength bounced between 95 and 100, with a s/n of 36. After replacing a card and a tuning adapter, plus much fiddling, we are pretty sure it is the TiVo.

I have an external 500G drive on it, and have not wanted to lose all my season passes and recored programs yet, so I have not tried unpairing, but the pauses, et. al, are incredibly frustrating.

I called TiVo about a replacement, and got the 'glad to replace for $149", but balked when they said they wanted an additional $250 to transfer my lifetime service. $400 for a unit that went belly-up, like the the three predecessors?

I was furious until I found this thread. From the sound of things, it is very likely either the external hard drive or the internal, and in either case, an upgrade to a 1T drive would fix the problem. I still am rather hacked off at their transfer fee, but if an upgrade fixes the problem for another couple of years, I will be pretty pleased.

I am likely to try replacing the internal hard drive, on the grounds that I am no worse off than if I unpair the external and lose my stuff.

Thanks, forum folk. It would be really cool were there a way to find the SMART status of these drives, or error rates from the external, as at least then they, and we, could do the right things without hours lost trying to diagnose.

Scott
ScottEllsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #1330
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottEllsworth View Post
My S3, 18months old, and the third replacement I have gotten from TiVo, just stated pixelating, losing sound, and all that jazz. Cable guy came out, signal strength bounced between 95 and 100, with a s/n of 36. After replacing a card and a tuning adapter, plus much fiddling, we are pretty sure it is the TiVo.

I have an external 500G drive on it, and have not wanted to lose all my season passes and recored programs yet, so I have not tried unpairing, but the pauses, et. al, are incredibly frustrating.

I called TiVo about a replacement, and got the 'glad to replace for $149", but balked when they said they wanted an additional $250 to transfer my lifetime service. $400 for a unit that went belly-up, like the the three predecessors?

I was furious until I found this thread. From the sound of things, it is very likely either the external hard drive or the internal, and in either case, an upgrade to a 1T drive would fix the problem. I still am rather hacked off at their transfer fee, but if an upgrade fixes the problem for another couple of years, I will be pretty pleased.

I am likely to try replacing the internal hard drive, on the grounds that I am no worse off than if I unpair the external and lose my stuff.

Thanks, forum folk. It would be really cool were there a way to find the SMART status of these drives, or error rates from the external, as at least then they, and we, could do the right things without hours lost trying to diagnose.

Scott
How frustrating. As you've no doubt seen, it's probably the external hard drive. Have you tried running a SMART test (Kickstart 54)? More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Have you tried replacing the SATA cable? The cables supplied with the WD My DVR Expanders were notoriously problematic (short connectors). The recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is about $10. However if it's another brand the cable is probably fine...just be sure the connections are snug at both ends.

If it's still functioning now would be a good time to transfer any (non-protected) recordings you want to save to a computer using TiVo Desktop or one of the third-party programs like KTTMG. Unfortunately you'll lose any recordings made since the external drive was attached when you go to upgrade, but that's a very good plan and has worked well for a lot of folks here.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #1331
richsadams

Quote:
Quick update--Rich, I followed your advice, used Tivo desktop to copy some programs to my PC, divorced from the external drive and the Tivo has been working without a glitch. I am almost afraid to write this because i have had so many problems with the Tivo and I don't want to jinx it. I guess if this holds up, then my next step is to do an upgrade of the internal drive following the instructions you pointed me to the other day.

Again, thanks for the great tips. My wife was about to toss the Tivo (and me, almost) out the window.
Excellent news!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #1332
opus123

endless reboot.. help

about a month ago I was experiencing increasing amounts of pixelation.

I ran kickstart 54,57,& 58 and all seemed ok. Everything passed 54, but it seemed 57 took a while, and likely fixed things

Yesterday I started seeing pixelation creeping back in, so this morning I decided to jump right to K57. Unfortunately, I'm now stuck in an endless loop of start-up->almost there->GSOD->reboot.

GSOD lasts for maybe 5 seconds and the loop resumes.

after about 30 minutes of this, I pulled the plug for 20 minutes, pulled the wi-fi usb... but it's right back to the same.

I even tried to get the start-up screen to go to KS54, with no luck... same pattern.

Anyone have any clue how I can break this loop?
opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #1333
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
about a month ago I was experiencing increasing amounts of pixelation.

I ran kickstart 54,57,& 58 and all seemed ok. Everything passed 54, but it seemed 57 took a while, and likely fixed things

Yesterday I started seeing pixelation creeping back in, so this morning I decided to jump right to K57. Unfortunately, I'm now stuck in an endless loop of start-up->almost there->GSOD->reboot.

GSOD lasts for maybe 5 seconds and the loop resumes.

after about 30 minutes of this, I pulled the plug for 20 minutes, pulled the wi-fi usb... but it's right back to the same.

I even tried to get the start-up screen to go to KS54, with no luck... same pattern.

Anyone have any clue how I can break this loop?
You have quite a few posts recently in the Drive Expansion Sticky thread that should be used as background for your current post here. (Not sure why you switched threads.) It appears you upgraded 2 HD's with EVVS drives about 2 months ago and started seeing pixelation problems with one of them about a month ago correct?

If so, the most likely problem is the drive, although you did mention something about not turning off anti-virus when you used WinMFS on at least one of the upgrades. I would recommend removing the offending drive and running the WD **extended** diagnositic test on it. Possibly makes sense to first redo the WinMFS thing making sure AV is turned off. It appears you're using a MAC so I don't know where that leaves you as far as running the WD diagnostics (or turning off AV). Would it be easy for you to get temporary use of a Windows PC?

and
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #1334
opus123

switched threads because I thought it might be more appropriate here.

you're correct on all accounts, i'm only seeing trouble with the drive that had anti-virus engage during back-up. although the other tivo has been hooked to a Standard-def tv, so it didn't really feel like it's been pushed/used the same.

Temporary use of a PC is possible but not too convenient, so I was hoping an internal fix would remedy. Never thoght I'd get caught in the endless reboot loop. Will be a shame to lose so many recording i planned on watching over the holidays.

Do I download the WD diagnostic program? from the WD site?
And yeah, i'm not exactly sure how to turn off anti-virus either
Old 12-22-2009, 01:58 AM   #1335
Cruzin Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Excellent news!
Dito here too man, exactly the same problem I was having and the “divorce” worked. I’ve had the cable techs out to my place three times now over the last month.
If I can add one unique item to my situation… my problems started after I moved all my A/V equipment to a hidden chest with the use of a remote IR system. The eSATA cable or the external HD may not of liked the move to it's new home, or maybe I bumped the unit.

Thanks Rich.

Cruzin Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #1336
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Chris View Post
Dito here too man, exactly the same problem I was having and the “divorce” worked. <snip>
Good news...sort of. At least you were able to find the culprit. Sweet little set up...well disguised and everything can still breath.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #1337
richsadams

Quote:
Do I download the WD diagnostic program? from the WD site?
And yeah, i'm not exactly sure how to turn off anti-virus either
I'm with dlfl both regarding the issue (probably a failing hard drive) as well as trying to run winMFS again. Rather than simply running the program again I'd try connecting it and attempt to fix the bootpage. Per the MFSLive web site:
Fix Bootpage Option 1 & 2
If Tivo bootpage is damaged, use this tool to fix it. There is option 1 & 2 as there is no way of knowing which partitions are active. So you have 50/50 chance of guessing it right. Try option 1 and see if it boots up properly and has the correct software. If not try option2.
If that doesn't do it, then I'd start from scratch and re-image the drive using your original source. I'd do all of the above with the anti-virus turned off. If the virus software's site doesn't say how to disable it, post what type you have and someone here should be able to tell you how.

If none of that works then you could run WD's Lifeguard Diagnostic. One pass extended read, one pass extended write, and another pass extended read (takes up to 12 hours). Here's the link:

WD's Lifeguard.

If the drive passes it's possible that something else is wrong with TiVo but it's not too likely.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #1338
opus123

Much appreciated with the assist Rich. I'm hoping to get access to a pc in the next day or so. Got a little side-tracked yesterday after a failed attempt to install a bedroom tv wall mount. Whacked myself in the head pretty good, so have been forced to take a break and ice it.

Without tivo for a few days now. Mid-tv installation in the bedroom, and HD problems in the living room.

Will let you know what Anti-Virus software is installed if it's not intuitive to disable.

Thanks AGAIN!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #1339
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
If I can add one unique item to my situation… my problems started after I moved all my A/V equipment to a hidden chest with the use of a remote IR system.

What temperature does the TiVo report? Are you sure you're getting enough cooling in that chest?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #1340
Cruzin Chris

Does TiVo have a setting that will report it’s operating temp? There is no lining on the inside of the wicker trunk. It’s such a loose weave that you can almost work the remote directly through the trunk, but I put an IR repeater system in it so I don’t have to point the remote below my feet.

This is an older pic. The DVD player on the right is gone and now the speaker sits on a little shelf I built.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #1341
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Does TiVo have a setting that will report it’s operating temp?
Its on the system information screen.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #1342
Cruzin Chris

Oh cool, I found it. 45C (normal). I’m out of town using the slingbox right now. I’ll have to see what it gets to when I get back home and the receiver is on next to it.
Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #1343
LockRob

signal too Hot?

I have a SNR of 34db; Is this too hot?
Would an in-line signal attenuator help. I have noticed that when my signal strength jumps form 81 to 87, I experience pixalization. Some of the posts lean in that direction, but none have stated that this is a cause.
Does anyone know for sure? I have an HD, so those earlier post stating that the problem was solved with the HD are incorrect.
If anyone has found more definitive information, please point me in that direction. Thanks-
LockRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #1344
opus123

Fixing Bootpage option 1 &2 didn't work, so i'm now running the extended WD Lifeguard test.
3 hours into a 10 hour process... oh boy.

Can anyone clarify the 'next steps' on this process. Lifeguard will inform of any found errors, and i'll have the option to remedy those that are correctable. If all is correctable, does zero-ing undo the 'fix'... or should i only zero-out if all other tests "pass"?

update: drive passed the extended test with no errors
- for preventative measures, I'm zero-ing out the drive in case some buggy data was causing problems
- 20 hours to complete via USB drive dock

Will run the tivo on back-up drive/truncated backup image... and re-image this drive for a different tivo

Last edited by opus123 : 12-28-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #1345
opus123

While running with the replacement drive, I've noticed something concerning...
Took a full day for my other tivo to show up as a transfer option... and now most of my recordings have been flagged as restricted by the copyright owner.
- NEVER seen this before, and it's occurred with many shows I've had for some time without any such restriction.

Did I cause this somehow or just a coincidence?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #1346
opus123

Pixelation is creeping back again, this time on a completely new HD.

I imaged a new 1TB drive with my original truncated back-up, and have been running for a few days clean. My other 1TB drive passed all Lifeguard tests, and was zero-ed out. Figured I'd try it in another unit in the near future.

Today i noticed the pixelation returning.
- I have 2 tivos, and I tuned them to the same channel to test.
- One pixelates fairly regularly, the other was clean until now... every once in a while it occcurs.. milder than the other
- Temperature reads 44C normal on both units

Could this be a signal or cable-card problem?
- HD channels are reading 78 to 95, with some channels stable, others that fluctuate
- SD channels seem to be about 87-88
- I'm seeing the problem on those channels whose signal fluctuates (WPIX-HD in NY is the worst)

Do you think this a signal or cable-card issue?

Should I call tivo support, or go directly to cablevision?
- I'm nervous about interacting with tivo considering I've upgraded both units
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #1347
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Pixelation is creeping back again, this time on a completely new HD.

I imaged a new 1TB drive with my original truncated back-up, and have been running for a few days clean. My other 1TB drive passed all Lifeguard tests, and was zero-ed out. Figured I'd try it in another unit in the near future.

Today i noticed the pixelation returning.
- I have 2 tivos, and I tuned them to the same channel to test.
- One pixelates fairly regularly, the other was clean until now... every once in a while it occcurs.. milder than the other
- Temperature reads 44C normal on both units

Could this be a signal or cable-card problem?
- HD channels are reading 78 to 95, with some channels stable, others that fluctuate
- SD channels seem to be about 87-88
- I'm seeing the problem on those channels whose signal fluctuates (WPIX-HD in NY is the worst)

Do you think this a signal or cable-card issue?

Should I call tivo support, or go directly to cablevision?
- I'm nervous about interacting with tivo considering I've upgraded both units
To get absolute certainty whether it's a signal problem, swap the two TiVo's and see if the worst problems follow the boxes or stays at the cable drop location.

Your signal levels seem good (TiVo recommends 80-99). Do you have SDV and a Tuning Adapter? And is it possible the problems are only on SDV channels? What are the SNR's for the same channel on the 2 TiVo's? Also, RS Uncorrected Error counts?

and
Old 01-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #1348
opus123

Forgive the acronym ignorance, but what are SNR & RS?

I don't have a tuning adapter, but one unit has the coax routed through a surge suppressor. That unit behaves a bit better, and the signal strength is 1 point below the non-surge protected unit.

The problem is worst on cablevision local channel 711 (wpix-hd). I haven't been able to watch Smallville in months. Although 80-99 is recommended is it supposed to constantly fluctuate? One channel doing 91,88,86,83,89,84,89,87,84,90.
- While i monitor the signal i also see the gray screen flash up for a second occasionally
- Other stations like National Geo have no issues as they lock in at about 90-92 and stay there
- I honestly don't know which stations are SDV. I thought the various HBO's were, but they all tune in fine without a tuning adapter

I'm feeling it's a signal issue, but not sure if that means bad external connections, poor transmission , or a problematic cable-card
Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #1349
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Forgive the acronym ignorance, but what are SNR & RS?....................
Go to Messages & Settings .... System Information .... Account & System Information ... DVR Diagnositcs. There will be information for the two channels that are currently tuned.

Signal Strength, SNR and RS Uncorrected Errors are found there, by those names. SNR is Signal-to-noise ratio and RS stands for Reed -Solomon which is the name of an error correction algrotihm used.

and
Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #1350
opus123

ok thanks...

1st Tivo
SNR: 35 db
RS uncorrected: 0
RS corrected: 105 (current, this # has been climbing)

2nd Tivo (less problematic)
SNR: 35bd
RS uncorrected: 0
RS corrected: 0

What is the significance of RS corrected? why different on both, and why is one climbing?