TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #1291
mcmnky

Partial recordings related to pixelation?

Howdy,

I haven't seen much pixelation while watching live TV, but I starting getting partial recordings about 3 weeks ago (Sep 27 to coincide with start of the new network seasons. joy!) and wonder if it's an issue related to the pixelation other folks have seen.

I have an HD TiVo, WD external storage, no mods, 2 comcast cable cards. The unit is about 18 months old.

So I starting getting partial recordings and it's now to the point where over half of scheduled records do not complete. I called TiVo support. The nice lady walked me through the DVR diagnostics and checking the signal strength.

The signal was pegged at 100 (with SNR 35 dB and no corrected/uncorrected errors). The diagnosis was too much signal. (Go figure.)

So I put in a 6 dB attenuator, which brings the signal down to 81. (TiVo lady said 80 to 99 is best.)

Anyway, after a day with the attenuation, still having the same issue. It's happened when recording on one or both tuners, only on HD channels so far.

I've managed to catch the issue in the act. When watching one tuner while recording on the other, I'll notice some pixelation and TiVo will stop responding to commands for 15 to 30 seconds. (Yellow LED shows unit gets the signal from the remote, but it doesn't do anything.)

So then the show I'm watching continues; red LED stays on and the listing in 'Now Playing' both indicate the recording has continued. But if I switch to the tuner being recorded the screen is all black, and the recording only has up to that point.

I did a code 57 kickstart--unit rebooted and started normally without any error messages.

I've been thinking of getting a 1 TB drive and ditching the external storage, but if the partial recordings are not a hard drive issue, I'd like to get a fix before putting money in to the unit.

So what do you folks think? Should I try more attenuation? Just go for the new hard drive?

I'm going to follow up with TiVo support and let them know their advice didn't help. I'll let you know if they have any other suggestions.
mcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #1292
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmnky View Post
Howdy,

I haven't seen much pixelation while watching live TV, but I starting getting partial recordings about 3 weeks ago (Sep 27 to coincide with start of the new network seasons. joy!) and wonder if it's an issue related to the pixelation other folks have seen. <snip>
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your TiVo HD. If the attenuation didn't help, go ahead and remove it.

The symptoms you listed are often caused by something happening with the external drive. The biggest issue has been the eSATA cable. The first thing to do is to ensure that the eSATA cable is securely attached to both TiVo and the external drive. The connections have to be snug, not loose. Swapping the cable connections sometimes resolves the problem. If that's okay your next step is to test the drives and it sounds like you've already done that but if not try giving TiVo's built-in diagnostic and repair programs called "Kickstarts" a try...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If both drives pass you have a couple of options. The first thing to do would be to replace the SATA cable. The recommended SIIG Serial ATA external cable is less than $10.

http://www.provantage.com/siig-cb-sa...1~7SISE00F.htm

If that doesn't resolve it the next step is to disconnect the drive from TiVo and see if TiVo returns to normal. If so, you could replace it or go ahead and upgrade the internal hard drive and remove the additional point of potential failure. Of note though is the fact that TiVo recognizes eSATA drives by the exact hard drive model number. Quite a few recent reports have indicated that the WD My DVR Expanders are failing because something is going south in the enclosure, not with the actual hard drive itself. Several folks have had success by removing the hard drive from the enclosure and installing it in a new one (such as the recommended Antec MX-1). Once re-connected life is good again. Something to keep in mind.

Unfortunately if you do disconnect and divorce your eSATA drive you will lose all of the recordings made since the drive was installed. If you want to save any recordings you can use TiVo Desktop or one of the other transfer programs to move non-copy protected recordings to your computer.

If you decide to remove the eSATA drive, be sure to follow the proper divorce procedure:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get..._capacity.html

If removing the eSATA drive doesn't resolve the issues that would indicate that the internal drive has a problem and needs replacing. Time to call TiVo or if it's past the warranty period you can replace the hard drive yourself.

Hope that helps. More information about troubleshooting, how to fix things and replacing your hard drive can be found on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ sticky thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-21-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added Kickstart link for later readers
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #1293
mcmnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your TiVo HD. If the attenuation didn't help, go ahead and remove it.

The symptoms you listed are often caused by something happening with the external drive. The biggest issue has been the eSATA cable. The first thing to do is to ensure that the eSATA cable is securely attached to both TiVo and the external drive. The connections have to be snug, not loose. Swapping the cable connections sometimes resolves the problem. If that's okay your next step is to test the drives and it sounds like you've already done that.
Sounds great. Thanks.

It's been 4 days with the attenuation in place and the issue remains. I poked around some threads on partial records, and there were some suggestions of tuner issues. I didn't like the sound of that.

But drive issues I can handle. If removing the eSATA drive fixes the issue, a new big internal drive it will be.

In the mean time, I'll transfer my saved programs to computer while waiting on a new eSATA cable.

Thanks again, richsadams.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #1294
richsadams

There are a few reports of tuner issues, but actual problems are quite rare. Hard drives are the number one failure point by far and luckily somewhat easy to resolve.

Keep us posted!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #1295
bkdtv

Partial recordings are almost always the fault of a failing external drive.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #1296
mcmnky

Thumbs up

Quote:
There are a few reports of tuner issues, but actual problems are quite rare. Hard drives are the number one failure point by far and luckily somewhat easy to resolve.

Keep us posted!
Did the deed tonight. Ditched the 500 GB extender and OEM drive and popped in a WD15EVDS. While I was in the neighborhood, I replaced the case fan with an AcoustiFan and anti-vibration gasket.

First thing I noticed: this community rocks! Compared to the process I went through to upgrade the drive in a Series 2, this was a snap. Worst part of the process was having to run out to Home Depot after remembering I lost my swiss army knife with the torx bits. (Damn, I miss that knife.)

Second thing: that thing is quiet. Did the AAM, and I swear it makes less sound running than it does unplugged. Never should have picked up the external drive--I always thought it was too noisy. (I blame the wife. "It's brand new, and now you want to go messing with it?" Am I right, guys? )

Third thing: went from 93 hours HD to 198 hours. Wow. I know I'm not getting the full 1.5TB, but I ain't complaining.

Fourth thing: I had transferred or downloaded all the recordings I wanted to save, except the 5 little intro videos that come with the TiVo. I've never watched them, but for some reason I liked having them around. I expected to lose them when I swapped the drives because of the truncated backup.

I guess they count as configuration and not recordings, because they are still there!

Been up and running for almost 2 hours, and so far no pixelation. Even have a couple HD recordings finish with no issues. (knock on wood)

I'll be away over the weekend. If I come home Sunday night to 198 hours of pixelated and partial recordings, I'll be right back here bitching about it
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #1297
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmnky View Post
Did the deed tonight. Ditched the 500 GB extender and OEM drive and popped in a WD15EVDS
Congrats and welcome to the "Big Boys Club".
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #1298
Fortynine

Same Pixelation Headache

I have a Series 3 Tivo with an external WD expansion drive and have been experiencing similar pixelation, freezing, dropout, and partial recording problems. If a new SATA cable corrects this problem I will be one extremely happy customer....and with resulting lower blood pressure...

One other problem I have is with the M card. This is now that second M card I had installed in my Series 3. The first one worked Ok for awhile but then defaulted to only a single stream. I called Cablevision (of Hauppage Long Island) for a service call and they installed a new M card. However they could only get it to produce a single video stream. At that point they claimed it must be a Tivo problem and left it as is. Any advice?
Fortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #1299
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortynine View Post
I have a Series 3 Tivo with an external WD expansion drive and have been experiencing similar pixelation, freezing, dropout, and partial recording problems. If a new SATA cable corrects this problem I will be one extremely happy customer....and with resulting lower blood pressure...

One other problem I have is with the M card. This is now that second M card I had installed in my Series 3. The first one worked Ok for awhile but then defaulted to only a single stream. I called Cablevision (of Hauppage Long Island) for a service call and they installed a new M card. However they could only get it to produce a single video stream. At that point they claimed it must be a Tivo problem and left it as is. Any advice?
Sorry to hear about your frustrating problems. First, do you actually have a TiVo Series3 or a TiVo HD? Although all hi-def TiVo's are from the Series3 line, they are different (at least for discussion purposes on the forum).

TiVo Series3 (TCD648250B - the "original" HD TiVo):

TiVo HD (TCD652160):

If you have a Series3 do you have one or two M cable cards installed? If you only have one you will only have one tuner available. TiVo Series3's require two cable cards (S or M).

If you have a TiVo HD you only need one M cable card to support both tuners.

It's rare, but cable cards can go south, usually due to firmware problems. Now and then cableco's will update the firmware which can cause them to "disconnect" at which time they need to be re-initiated or "re-paired" to your TiVo. Usually a call to the cable company asking them to "hit" the cards will do the trick.

Or it's possible the cable card has just failed and needs replacing. Based on posts here and other forums, Scientific Atlanta (SA) cable cards seem to have more issues like that than the Motorola brand.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #1300
Fortynine

I have the original Series3 running software version 11.0d-01-2-648. (top picture) When I first purchased this Tivo it was set up with two S cards, one in each slot. I "upgraded"?? to a Multi-stream card so I could save on the monthly cost of having one card rather than 2. Unless I'm delusional, when the M card was installed it worked as advertised, two video streams from one card. However, it eventually defaulted to function in only a single stream mode. If I need an M card in each slot for it the TIVO to operate in a multi stream mode, why not just keep an S card in each slot?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #1301
richsadams

I wouldn't want to call anyone delusional...but... The Series3 must have two cable cards to support the operations of both tuners, no if's, and's or but's. Apparently you just never had any conflicting recordings and things were okay with one tuner. As long as it wasn't recording anything you could easily change channels and never know better because you can only view one channel at a time anyway.

So the good news is...you just need another cable card (S or M, doesn't matter) and you'll be back in business!

EDIT: Ah, posting at the same moment. bkdtv's correct, unencrypted channels would have worked as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #1302
bkdtv

Quote:
Unless I'm delusional, when the M card was installed it worked as advertised, two video streams from one card. However, it eventually defaulted to function in only a single stream mode.
You're not entirely delusional. If you have two CableCards installed in the older TiVo Series3 model, and then replaced them with one M-CARD, then both tuners continue to function on unencrypted channels (like HD locals) until the box is rebooted. After a reboot, the Series3 reverts to single-tuner functionality.

Quote:
If I need an M card in each slot for it the TIVO to operate in a multi stream mode, why not just keep an S card in each slot?
No reason you shouldn't. There's no need for a M-CARD unless you have the newer TivoHD model which can support both tuners with a single M-CARD.

As alluded to above, the vast majority of pixelization (and partial recording) problems reported on this forum are due to failing external drives. Internal drives failures are rare in the first two years; after three years, internal drive failures become more common. A TiVo can last 10+ years if you are willing to replace the internal drive every 3-4 years (instructions).
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #1303
Fortynine

That makes sense. I've placed a service call with Cablevision and Sunday the M card will be swapped out for two S cards.

Now all I need to do is replace the hard drive in the S3 to hopefully get rid of the ever increasing pixellation, stuttering, freezing and sound drops I'm experiencing.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #1304
Fortynine

I was reading through the drive upgrade FAQ was confused on a couple of points...

1. first of all there is a set of instructions under the heading .. Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings I have the WD expander drive connected to my S3. How is it I will be able to save my recordings to a new 1tb replacement drive if I've "unmarried" the WD expansion drive?
2. I'm able to copy all that is necessary with WinMFS and MFScopy? InstantCake will not be necessary?

Thanks to whomever can respond.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #1305
richsadams

Quote:
I was reading through the drive upgrade FAQ was confused on a couple of points...

1. first of all there is a set of instructions under the heading .. Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings I have the WD expander drive connected to my S3. How is it I will be able to save my recordings to a new 1tb replacement drive if I've "unmarried" the WD expansion drive?
2. I'm able to copy all that is necessary with WinMFS and MFScopy? InstantCake will not be necessary?

Thanks to whomever can respond.
1. You won't be able to save any recordings made since the eSATA drive was attached.

2. Yes as long as your original hard drive is functional and not corrupted. Carefully follow the directions in Section V, 19a in the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ. Your original hard drive's image, cable card info, season passes, etc. will be copied to your new hard drive.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #1306
Fortynine

Trying to upgrade to a 1 TB HD

I purchased the 1 TB Western Digital WD10EVDS as a replacement drive for the original 250GB drive in my Series 3. I went through the installation process using WinMFS to preserve both the settings and recordings on the original Tivo drive. However, when I put everything back together and started up the Tivo all that came up was the 'Welcome - Powering Up' screen on which the unit remained fixated on.

Any clues as to what may be wrong?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #1307
Fortynine

Trying to upgrade to a 1 TB HD

I just found a thread discussing this problem. I've re-posted my previous note there.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #1308
Davoman

For what it's worth I went around and around with TiVo on this issue recently. My S3 had worked for two years and recently started freezing and pixilating. Ultimately the fix was to swap the TiVo hardware box itself. New box, same external hard drive, cable, cable cards, wiring, signal levels, everything as before and the problem seems to have been fixed.
Davoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #1309
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoman View Post
For what it's worth I went around and around with TiVo on this issue recently. My S3 had worked for two years and recently started freezing and pixilating. Ultimately the fix was to swap the TiVo hardware box itself. New box, same external hard drive, cable, cable cards, wiring, signal levels, everything as before and the problem seems to have been fixed.
Good to know. Sounds very much like an internal hard drive issue. Glad it's fixed now...enjoy!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #1310
Davoman

Quote:
Good to know. Sounds very much like an internal hard drive issue. Glad it's fixed now...enjoy!

Maybe. Both drives passed the QuickStart 54 test though, and the TiVo folks (at least most of the nine different people I talked to) seemed satisfied with that. But then again I never at any point felt like they had any concrete idea why these units work or don't work. They were guessing and grasping at straws. Ultimately I was happy when they suggested I pay them $149 to swap the unit. They wanted me to go away and I wanted the problem to go away. Hopefully it stays away.
Davoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #1311
iWish

Pixelation

I've got a series 3 (original) with two cable cards and an external hard drive.

I started getting pixelation about a week ago (pretty bad on many channels).

The signal strength is in the 50's. Other diagnostics I should check?

My office TV with cableco box has no pixelation problems.

Cable co is coming out tomorrow.

What is the gut feel here? Cable issue or Tivo issues?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited by iWish : 12-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.
iWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #1312
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWish View Post

Thanks!!!!!!!
A failing hard drive is the most likely culprit although those signal strengths are too low. The TiVo support docs say a minimum of 65 for the S3 and 80-99 is recommended. Any reason the signal strength would have dropped?

Unfortunately it isn't uncommon for TiVo tuners to have problems with signals that Cable Co. equipment handles fine -- even when nothing is "wrong" with the TiVo.

What are the RS Uncorrected Error counts doing when you see bad pixelation? If they are large and climbing that indicates a signal problem. If they are zero or constant at a few hundred or less it should not be a signal problem.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #1313
iWish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
A failing hard drive is the most likely culprit although those signal strengths are too low. The TiVo support docs say a minimum of 65 for the S3 and 80-99 is recommended. Any reason the signal strength would have dropped?

Unfortunately it isn't uncommon for TiVo tuners to have problems with signals that Cable Co. equipment handles fine -- even when nothing is "wrong" with the TiVo.

What are the RS Uncorrected Error counts doing when you see bad pixelation? If they are large and climbing that indicates a signal problem. If they are zero or constant at a few hundred or less it should not be a signal problem.
Thanks for the help.

RS Uncorrected error is constant at a less than a hundred on both tuners.

Overall, pixelation not as bad today as yesterday.

TNT is fine tonight (with signal rate in the sixties) but ESPN is choppy (with signal rate in the fifties).

I don't know why the signal rate would have dropped. Can't say I've ever checked, but nothing new lately. No new channels, other changes within the home, etc.

I'll lean on the cable people tomorrow when they come and tell them it is signal problem, but who knows......

They were very responsive when I called them which makes me think (1) they know there may be problems or (2) they finally realize how attractive the satellite competition is and will fight to keep their customers. I'd jumped long time ago but I love my tivo's. If I do need to replace the hard drive I may seriously consider Moxi's new package.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #1314
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWish View Post

Thanks!!!!!!!
My vote is also for a signal strength problem. Ideal is 85 to 95. 50 is far too low. I'm surprised it works at all. A few years ago we experienced something similar and after several truck rolls the third cable tech disappeared and when he returned a half-hour later said that someone had incorrectly connected a new subscriber at the head end which caused our signal to plummet. Something as simple as a corroded line coming to the house and a little rain can cause havoc as well. Hopefully they can get it figured out quickly.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #1315
iWish

Update to pixelation issues

Quote:
My vote is also for a signal strength problem. Ideal is 85 to 95. 50 is far too low. I'm surprised it works at all. A few years ago we experienced something similar and after several truck rolls the third cable tech disappeared and when he returned a half-hour later said that someone had incorrectly connected a new subscriber at the head end which caused our signal to plummet. Something as simple as a corroded line coming to the house and a little rain can cause havoc as well. Hopefully they can get it figured out quickly.
Cable guy came out and even though the TV signal was stronger with only minor pixelation on some channels than the previous few days he tested the signal and figured out there were signal issues. Problem was he needed to refer to a different team to work on the "outside grid". He said sometime the weather changes can affect the signal. Still waiting but hopeful the cable co will come through.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #1316
richsadams

At least you have a handle on the cause and hopefully they'll get it squared away quickly! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #1317
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Having the same issues you are IWish. Everything over 225 is pixelizing almost constantly, and a few other channels are as well. My uncorrected errors are through the roof and climbing all the time - one had about 20,000 on first check. It's on both Tivo's. Sometimes it's just one tuner though. Weird.

Rolling a truck tomorrow.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #1318
jrdjrnola

RichSAdams - Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been experiencing audio drop out and freezing issues to the point where it is beyond annoying. It seemed to only happen on high def channels so we automatically assumed it was a Comcast issue. I checked the signal strength and all appeared to be ok. Once I came to grips with losing all that was on my external Tivo supported hard drive, I took the plunge and unplugged it from the setup. Once Tivo did it's thing and unrecognized the external storage, all is fine. No more freezing, no more audio dropout, no more frustration. It is better for us to manage with a smaller storage space than to deal with the external storage device. It is going in the trash!
jrdjrnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #1319
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdjrnola View Post
RichSAdams - Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been experiencing audio drop out and freezing issues to the point where it is beyond annoying. It seemed to only happen on high def channels so we automatically assumed it was a Comcast issue. I checked the signal strength and all appeared to be ok. Once I came to grips with losing all that was on my external Tivo supported hard drive, I took the plunge and unplugged it from the setup. Once Tivo did it's thing and unrecognized the external storage, all is fine. No more freezing, no more audio dropout, no more frustration. It is better for us to manage with a smaller storage space than to deal with the external storage device. It is going in the trash!
Glad I could help...but how frustrating! Since it appears that it's often the WD My DVR enclosure that's the problem and not the actual hard drive itself, you might want to pull the hard drive, give it a good diagnostic run using WD's Lifeguard. If it passes you could pop it into one of the recommended enclosures in the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160) and reconnect it to your TiVo or at least use it in a PC, etc.

Happy viewing!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #1320
kiranna

The Irony...TA works but S3 becoming bricklike

So,
I have a TA and S3 and could not get any SDV channels through the TA. After reading some tips here, I got the (excellent) SA M card diagnostics off the tivo site, found out my Cisco TA1520 was fine but the CCs were not properly bound, and got the Cablevision guys to come over and re-bind them to the S3. Now, I have everything working (theoretically) - the CCs are properly bound and all SDV channels come in.

UNFORTUNATELY--now the intense pixelation/screen and audio freeze problems have returned with a vengeance. So the irony is that the Tivo was working fine (albeit with none of the premium SDV or copy protected channels I was paying for), and with a seemingly non-functional TA. Now that the CCs are properly set up and the TA is working, the whole Tivo itself has become a brick which even after a restart begins pixelating and hanging, usually within 10-15 min. Seems my choices are: a) generally reliable performance but no access to SDV or protected channels (which is a nonstarter) or b) unusably bad performance, restarts & hangs 100% of the time but with all channels coming in.

Your posts lead me to believe it is a problem with my external drive (500GB MyDVR expander) but I am not sure (of course I am willing to try anything at this point).

Here's weird thing #1: if I tune the 2 tuners to HD channels (say 802 which is HBO HD), I get choppy, pixelated unwatchable video. If i tune 1 or both to a SD channel (say channel 4 new york) then I still get pixelated and choppy but not so much. It is watchable but just barely.

Here's weird thing #2: If I leave the tuners on HD channels and then play a recording from the "now playing" list (a recording I've previously watched and verified that it's fine), then the RECORDED program behaves like the live HD video--choppy, freezes, pixelates, hangs). But if i go to live tv, switch both tuners to SD (low-res) channels, then go back to the SAME recorded program, it plays fine!

WTF?

My brain is hurting from all these permutations. I have posted infrequently here over the past almost 2 years and still never got to a point of satisfactory performance with my Tivo S3. No FIOS yet in my neighborhood so am stuck with this or nothing.

Any ideas?
kiranna is offline   Reply With Quote