TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #1201
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaman View Post
Yes I went to 1 M card. I don't care what they say. In my experience, every issue I have ever had was solved by a replacement unit. This is my 4th in 2 yrs.

I spent $700 for my original unit, plus replacement costs, plus a 3 yr subscription. For that kind of investment, I expect more. Maybe these days consumers have been trained not to expect a quality product anymore. I still expect quality if I am willing to spend my money.
I'd be very frustrated like you if I'd had that kind of experience. I'm sorry you've had to endure all that. I haven't been trained to expect less, I've just had a different experience. And I do think that sometimes TiVo might get a bad rap (just as the cable companies do) because of the poor implementation of the technologies. I know my local TWC has bent over backwards to try to get mine working right, but it's just the delicate nature of the cable cards.

My comment about whether cards were replaced was just trying to narrow down potential solutions for my own setup, a faulty S3 vs. a cablecard problem.

I have 2 S3's and they both exhibit the pixellation with SDV channels. So I'm much more inclined to think it's a tuning adapter/cablecard/SDV/TiVo interaction problem than just a bad TiVo unit problem.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1202
jchas41

Just wanted to follow up with my situation. TWC was here yesterday and tested the signal strength, etc., and everything was "perfect". They checked all connections and everything running into the house is new. They are telling me there is nothing else they can do. Tivo is insisting that my signal strength is too high. Honestly, at this point I'm getting really frustrated because both sides are saying it's not their fault and in the meantime I keep dealing with these pixelation issues.

I bought the unit at Sears and got the extended warranty, I think my next step is to call them and tell them my unit is defective. This is crazy...
jchas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #1203
genaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post
Just wanted to follow up with my situation. TWC was here yesterday and tested the signal strength, etc., and everything was "perfect". They checked all connections and everything running into the house is new. They are telling me there is nothing else they can do. Tivo is insisting that my signal strength is too high. Honestly, at this point I'm getting really frustrated because both sides are saying it's not their fault and in the meantime I keep dealing with these pixelation issues.

I bought the unit at Sears and got the extended warranty, I think my next step is to call them and tell them my unit is defective. This is crazy...
If you get a new unit, your problem will be resolved. Don't let TIVO convince you that it's the signal....It's the TIVO.
genaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #1204
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaman View Post
If you get a new unit, your problem will be resolved. Don't let TIVO convince you that it's the signal....It's the TIVO.
I realize that a new TiVo (and new cable cards) solved your problem, but I'd hesitate to make that blanket statement. This thread is 41 pages long. I believe if it was a simple matter of a defective box, we wouldn't be on page 41.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #1205
bkdtv

Before someone mentions it, Verizon had some equipment fail yesterday at VHO6 in Burlington, MA, which serves all FiOS customers in MA and RI. The result is pixelization on many channels.

This problem should be fixed soon, but until it is, you can expect to see pixelization on many channels if you live in that region, regardless of what box you have. This problem affects both the TiVo and Verizon’s own equipment in the same way.

FiOS customers in other regions are not affected by this problem.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #1206
genaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I realize that a new TiVo (and new cable cards) solved your problem, but I'd hesitate to make that blanket statement. This thread is 41 pages long. I believe if it was a simple matter of a defective box, we wouldn't be on page 41.
The cable card was not new. I was using 2 Scards, then 2 Mcards with my S3. I am using one of the same Mcards that I used on the defective S3. I am making a blanket statement based on my experience. Obviously I cannot speak for everyone on this board. However, I would be curious to know how many people who have had the same problem I had resolved it by replacing the unit. I can't be the only one.....contrary to what my mother tells me, I am just not that special .
genaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #1207
MookieDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Before someone mentions it, Verizon had some equipment fail yesterday at VHO6 in Burlington, MA, which serves all FiOS customers in MA and RI. The result is pixelization on many channels.

This problem should be fixed soon, but until it is, you can expect to see pixelization on many channels if you live in that region, regardless of what box you have. This problem affects both the TiVo and Verizon’s own equipment in the same way.

FiOS customers in other regions are not affected by this problem.
Thanks bkdtv. I started getting pixellation on NESN last night during the Sox game. Checked my levels/errors, nothing showed up on Corrected or Uncorrected. Assumed it wasn't a box/attenuator problem. Was able to switch to the HD channel and watch it fine anyway.
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #1208
yizzung

Apologies in advance: I did not initially contribute to this thread because I really wasn't sure what my problem was (pixelation or reboots? dead WD expander or bad signal or bad cable cards or bad cable?) but, anyway, I suppose you can add my experiments to the discussion.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=428157

Long-story-short, it seems likely that "an event" happened upstream from me that simultaneously zapped my Comcast cable modem and my Tivo S3. Internet is back up and running after replacement of the cable modem but they didn't even look at the TV. TV picture went from bad to worse and now Tivo reboots every 20 minutes. I tried all the attenuator tricks, zapping cable cards, etc.

Comcast is coming again on Thursday to swap the cable cards in one last (probably futile) attempt. In parallel, I went ahead and ordered a refurb S3 from Tivo... If the Comcast tech believes that something on the Comcast side caused the problem on my box, then they said that they will take responsibility for the Tivo equipment failure. I'm not holding my breath but it sure seems odd that my S3 would die on the same day that my cable modem died.
yizzung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #1209
gwsat

I am having a problem with video artifacts from my S3 that is so related to a single series, The Closer on TNT HD, that until recently I had blamed the problem on TNT. I have now done more experimenting and have concluded that my TiVo is to blame.

Whenever I record an episode of The Closer on my S3, bad artifacts show up whenever a full screen black background with the names of cast member superimposed on it in white is displayed. During the playing of the show itself, however, no such artifacts show up. I have now discovered two significant facts:

1. When I record an episode of The Closer on the SA 8300HD DVR, which I rent from Cox OKC, at the same time I record the same episode on the S3, there are no artifacts present in the 8300HD recording.

2. When I watch an episode of The Closer on the S3 in real time, that is neither recorded or using the buffer, there is no artifacting. Nevertheless, if I back up through the buffer to the first black screen, which had been perfect when I watched it in real time, the version from the buffer contains artifacts, as does the recording itself.

Obviously, this is an isolated problem than I can live with but my curiosity is piqued. Can anyone suggest what is going on with my S3 and what, if anything short of replacing it, I might do to resolve the issue?
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #1210
pj1016

I've got a new problem that has me stumped...

When I started using my TivoHD with FIOS a few months ago, I had pixelation on the higher-frequency HD channels. I did the attenuation exercise, and everything was fine.

Lately I have been having pixelation on just the ESPN HD channels. SNR is 31, but the signal strength varies wildy (and almost constantly) with a max of about 65.

Any thoughts as to what is the problem?

Thanks,

pj
pj1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #1211
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
[*]When I watch an episode of The Closer on the S3 in real time, that is neither recorded or using the buffer, there is no artifacting. Nevertheless, if I back up through the buffer to the first black screen, which had been perfect when I watched it in real time, the version from the buffer contains artifacts, as does the recording itself.[/b][/list][/b]
Obviously, this is an isolated problem than I can live with but my curiosity is piqued. Can anyone suggest what is going on with my S3 and what, if anything short of replacing it, I might do to resolve the issue?
How frustrating and it does sound very strange indeed. This only happens on that particular channel, on that particular show? Every time? Do they rebroadcast the same show at a later time/day, etc? Or are there reruns of the same show? Curious if the problem appears then as well.

BTW, since TiVo is always buffering you're never actually watching live or "real time", you are always watching a buffered recording. Interesting that the problem doesn't appear unless you rewind though.

My instincts tell me that it's a hard drive issue and will get worse, but if the problem is isolated to that singular event each week it sounds more like an issue with that particular digital broadcast. Still seems very odd though.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #1212
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1016 View Post
I've got a new problem that has me stumped...

When I started using my TivoHD with FIOS a few months ago, I had pixelation on the higher-frequency HD channels. I did the attenuation exercise, and everything was fine.

Lately I have been having pixelation on just the ESPN HD channels. SNR is 31, but the signal strength varies wildy (and almost constantly) with a max of about 65.

Any thoughts as to what is the problem?

Thanks,

pj
Might be worth having VZ take a look at your incoming signal. They tweak things (either locally or at the headend) now and then and IIRC others have seen things like that and the tech changed out an incoming cable that went south or found that another tech had done something in the neighborhood. It's possible that it's a cable card issue, but that usually manifests itself in all of the channels in that particular bandwidth. In any case, I'd have them check things out for you and see what they have to say.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #1213
jchas41

Well I think it's time I exchange my unit. I have tried everything to get rid of the random pixelating and screen freezing that have been affecting my unit for the last 5 weeks. After using the attenuator to get my signal from 100 to a reasonable 87, it is still pixelating and randomly freezing up. TWC came out and checked all my lines and signals and could not find anything out of whack. Tivo is thinking it may be the tuner inside the Tivo. Now I have to deal with this Sears claim service, what a headache...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #1214
blacksnakeball

Please Help

I am one of those unfortunate FIOS hot signal guys. My new Tivo HD XL just doesn't seem to like the FIOS signal. I have been on this board and the Tivo forum and got some great advice on numerous occasions from bfdtv and others. I have tried a low pass filter and many different combinations of attenuators. I have tried the Radio Shack dial attenuator. But my signal issues have gotten worse over the past month.

I want to love Tivo. I was an early adopter with Replay TV and would still own that box if it could record HD. I spent years with a SA 8300 HD Explorer with Time Warner Cable in Manhattan but I could not pass up the speed and price of FIOS and hate TWC anyway. I started with the crappy Motos from Verizon and had overheating issues and hard drive failure within 2 weeks on my first box. I did some research here and fell in love with Tivo and bought the XL on April 25th.

From day one I have tried the signal fix and I have spent quite a bit of time with VZ at my home (they ave been pretty good about trying to fix on their end) I have also let Tivo know since day one that I am experiencing signal issues.

I met a guy on the Tivo boards who told me he was in a beta program and that a patch was imminent but could not tell me anymore. He said dont waste time with VZ coming to your apartment with any more attenuator crap- there will be a patch.

Based on that info and the totally random nature of my signal issues I have decided to try and wait it out as long as I can before my wife and daughter turn on me. The signal seems to go hot whenever we switch to a channel that is important to us. For me it is SNY in NYC -the Mets channel. I cannot watch a game anymore! My wife has issues with HBO and my daughter's kiddie shows seem to have to problem too. Sometimes the pixellation will be heavy for 10 minutes and then dissipate. Other times I can get a week straight of rock solid picture but lately it has been consistently bad. When it is bad the SNR fluctuates from 37-29 and the signal strength goes from 100-45. The RS uncorrected have been appearing more and more on channels we did not see them on before.

A few weeks into my trial month I called to complain to Tivo and they waived my monthly charge. A few weeks into my second month I called to complain but had to take it up to the next level of CS to get them to give me another month credit. I actually agreed to cancel my service because i was so upset with them. It is set to expire in 3 days.

Still I delay any decisions because I want to believe this can be fixed. I decided I had 3 options. Do nothing and hope that the beta fix comes in soon (yes i have registered for the beta and have begged Tivo to bring me in but their CS people are clueless) Secondly, I though maybe a new cable card from VZ might solve my problems and third I thought perhaps a new box from Tivo might work. Obviously there are people with Tivo and FIOS who are enjoying cable TV - I want to be THAT guy. Anyone think a new card or box might do the trick?

If I can't solve this problem soon I want to return the unit and get my MONEY back. I called J&R Music World where I purchased the box in April and they said any return after 30 days must go through manufacturer. I called Tivo today to find out their return and/or replacement policy and got into a huge pissing match. Basically there L2 tech support rep told me that since it is over 30 days I cannot return the box under any circumstances!!! He says it is a FIOS problem and I waited more than 30 days! He says that since by canceling my monthly service a few weeks ago that somehow this precludes me from pursuing a return or replacement. He says I cannot even get a refurb at cost to me. WTF???

I know I am getting bad info and I am livid. I would consider swapping out the box but I do not want a refurb and do not want to pay anything for shipping. The Tivo L2 guy says I cannot swap or even make a return because there is nothing wrong with the box and it is past 30 days. I asked him how he did not know it was a hard drive issue and even though all signs point to signal problem how can they rule out hardware issues. He said it did not matter I am stuck with this 2 month old box and can only sell it on ebay!

Of course now I just want to return this box and recoup my $5oo+ that I shelled out for it in April. Perhaps I will wait tilll there is a FIOS fix or perhaps I will never buy a Tivo again!

But how would any of you proceed? Are there some corporate people at Tivo that will listen to reason? I went from being a Tivo evangelical to a Tivo hater in one 20 minute phone call.

They have a known issue and yet do not inform consumers that they might experience signal issue with a major provider of HD content? I got the sense that they also know they have problems in Manhattan but of course cannot prove it. What about my 90 day warranty? All I know is the box doesn't work with my cable provider.

Thoughts? Sorry to ramble on but I am spitting blood
blacksnakeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #1215
hmm52

I question your statement "they (Verizon) have been pretty good about trying to fix it on their end", though I don't doubt various techs have done much in your home to find a remedy. I've had FiOS TV since Nov. '06, with on again off again pixelation, sometimes horrific, starting July '07 and ending this time last year. First it was seen with a Toshiba cablecard TV, then worse with an S3 bought in January '08. I'm convinced that the source of the episodic signal/pixelation issues was always at my central office. I was told that once also by the supervisor of techs in my area. If everything is good across all frequencies from your CO, then you won't have a problem with your TiVo or other devices that have vulnerable tuners. If not, then attenuation may or not help. In my experience it was quite effective in addressing modest signal problems; a small amount of it is still in place as a prophylactic.

My guess is that cleaning things up at COs is expensive for Verizon so they resist bumping the matter there unless a significant number of subscribers are complaining about more than a few channels. The errors aren't just a matter of signal level. In the two horrific multi week episodes, it was 50% of all frequencies pixelating on the Toshiba. Might be a record. The first remedy in '07 came as a result of my complaints; all the rest happened in their own time. So how much patience do you have for possibly a rough ride with the TiVo-FiOS combination? I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a software solution. But you never know...
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #1216
blacksnakeball

Please help

No i should be asking FIOS better questions too. I Will ask about the central office today. But VZ has issued me a credit when I had problems with their crappy box (not pixellation) and they have worked with me to fix my tivo.

While this may be a CO problem it may also be a hard drive or hardware problem with my Tivo. i would suppose that there could be lots of reasons why I am getting pixellation. But for Tivo to reject out of hand, over the phone that there could be anything wrong with this box other than the FIOS signal and thus refuse to allow me to return a basically brand new $500+ piece of electronics under a 90 day warranty is borderline criminal.

Tivo should be required to post on their website and on their packaging that their boxes may not work with FIOS and that the buyer has 30 days to decide if they want to live with the results.

They should also tell consumers where the FIOS signal problems are happening the most.

I guess I want advice on how to return the unit. I plan on filing with BBB FTC if need be but if anyone knows a more direct line into Tivo where my voice will be heard please IM me.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #1217
bkdtv

For those that missed it, this was posted this today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post

Not all FIOS customers experience the same level of pixelation. That said, we have been testing a fix for some time that has provided extremely significant improvement for all testers. The SW release carrying this is coming very soon.
For those who are new to this forum, TivoJerry is a TiVo employee.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #1218
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
I question your statement "they (Verizon) have been pretty good about trying to fix it on their end", though I don't doubt various techs have done much in your home to find a remedy. I've had FiOS TV since Nov. '06, with on again off again pixelation, sometimes horrific, starting July '07 and ending this time last year. First it was seen with a Toshiba cablecard TV, then worse with an S3 bought in January '08. I'm convinced that the source of the episodic signal/pixelation issues was always at my central office. I was told that once also by the supervisor of techs in my area. If everything is good across all frequencies from your CO, then you won't have a problem with your TiVo or other devices that have vulnerable tuners. If not, then attenuation may or not help. In my experience it was quite effective in addressing modest signal problems; a small amount of it is still in place as a prophylactic.

My guess is that cleaning things up at COs is expensive for Verizon so they resist bumping the matter there unless a significant number of subscribers are complaining about more than a few channels. The errors aren't just a matter of signal level. In the two horrific multi week episodes, it was 50% of all frequencies pixelating on the Toshiba. Might be a record. The first remedy in '07 came as a result of my complaints; all the rest happened in their own time. So how much patience do you have for possibly a rough ride with the TiVo-FiOS combination? I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a software solution. But you never know...
<sigh> I am sorry to inform you and others on this board that the problem is not with Verizon's network. I'm sorry if a few of you do not want to believe this. To over simplify you will have a hard time convincing verizon tier 4 support that this issue is with the network signal, when the motorola equipment has no problems at all.

You can ban me if you want again, but the simple truth is that your only choice is to try the attenuators or sell the box on ebay.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #1219
ciucca

Quote:

<deleted quote>

Interesting. I've been bashed and banned on this board for disagreeing with "exdishguy" who I'm sure has a PhD in telecommunications. I've been only trying to help people face reality. I think the moderator owes me an apology.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #1220
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
<sigh> I am sorry to inform you and others on this board that the problem is not with Verizon's network. I'm sorry if a few of you do not want to believe this. To over simplify you will have a hard time convincing verizon tier 4 support that this issue is with the network signal, when the motorola equipment has no problems at all.

You can ban me if you want again, but the simple truth is that your only choice is to try the attenuators or sell the box on ebay.
My post was not based on random musing and I don't assign fault to TiVo or Verizon alone. The first incident of pixelation I referred to was clear. Multiple techs spent a load of time over two weeks in the house swapping out much and checking everything. The Big Boss, who supervised 4 other techs during the initial installation (I was a very early adopter) became involved. He checked line errors ahead of the new ONT and immediately said the problem was at street level or in the CO, repairs there made between 12:00am and 6:00am as a rule. The second morning later, all the channels were completely clear where 50% of them had been tiling horrifically through the previous weeks. The Big Boss called that afternoon to confirm that the problem was in fact at my CO. While it's true that my 3 Sony cablecard devices had minimal tiling throughout the period, Verizon's signal quality can clearly vary and create mayhem with a Tivo and some other brands. To its credit, my local CO has provided a great feed for a year now so I haven't seen any pixelation worth mentioning. I'm still using the original S3 bought 1/08 and AFAIK there weren't any software updates last year which addressed pixelation with off signals. To suggest that Verizon never has difficulty with their signal quality seems a bit of a stretch. In VHO8 it has from time to time affected many Motorola boxes as well, though not recently.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #1221
jchas41

Quote:

I wonder if this will help in my situation. I am fed up, today I called Sears to start a claim on my Tivo and found out that because I got the Tivo on sale, for $199, they will only send me a gift card in that amount - they will not exchange it for the same model without me covering the other $100 ($299 regular, non-sale price). What a joke. Now it looks like my options are:
1. Use the claim with Sears, get my $200 gift card and say goodbye to Tivo (eating the remaining 7months on my 1 year contract).
2. RMA it to Tivo, paying the 49.99 plus shipping, and hope that the new machine doesn't do the same thing (which quite frankly seems like a big if).
3. Wait it out, deal with the random pixelating and freezes and hope that the patch fixes my problem as well. Which to my knowledge is not as widespread with TWC as it is with Fios.

What to do...
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1222
ciucca

Quote:
I wonder if this will help in my situation. I am fed up, today I called Sears to start a claim on my Tivo and found out that because I got the Tivo on sale, for $199, they will only send me a gift card in that amount - they will not exchange it for the same model without me covering the other $100 ($299 regular, non-sale price). What a joke. Now it looks like my options are:
1. Use the claim with Sears, get my $200 gift card and say goodbye to Tivo (eating the remaining 7months on my 1 year contract).
2. RMA it to Tivo, paying the 49.99 plus shipping, and hope that the new machine doesn't do the same thing (which quite frankly seems like a big if).
3. Wait it out, deal with the random pixelating and freezes and hope that the patch fixes my problem as well. Which to my knowledge is not as widespread with TWC as it is with Fios.

What to do...
I think that the attenuators are worth a shot. I apologize if you already tried them. I think if you search there is a link to order online. I am using the attenuators for about a year and a 1/2, 16db and the pixelation is almost unnoticeable. IMO I would not hold my breath for a Tivo software fix. The guy who posted it may have good intentions but I am skeptical. I also know that most people who claim to have the pixelation problem( that is fixed by the attenuators) have found the issue come back after they made Verizon jump through hoops to try and fix it.

If your problem is mainly freezing then you may have a bad HD and will have to go the $49.99 route. I would try the attenuators first.

Last edited by ciucca : 06-24-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #1223
ciucca

Quote:
My post was not based on random musing and I don't assign fault to TiVo or Verizon alone. The first incident of pixelation I referred to was clear. Multiple techs spent a load of time over two weeks in the house swapping out much and checking everything. The Big Boss, who supervised 4 other techs during the initial installation (I was a very early adopter) became involved. He checked line errors ahead of the new ONT and immediately said the problem was at street level or in the CO, repairs there made between 12:00am and 6:00am as a rule. The second morning later, all the channels were completely clear where 50% of them had been tiling horrifically through the previous weeks. The Big Boss called that afternoon to confirm that the problem was in fact at my CO. While it's true that my 3 Sony cablecard devices had minimal tiling throughout the period, Verizon's signal quality can clearly vary and create mayhem with a Tivo and some other brands. To its credit, my local CO has provided a great feed for a year now so I haven't seen any pixelation worth mentioning. I'm still using the original S3 bought 1/08 and AFAIK there weren't any software updates last year which addressed pixelation with off signals. To suggest that Verizon never has difficulty with their signal quality seems a bit of a stretch. In VHO8 it has from time to time affected many Motorola boxes as well, though not recently.
I agree that you may have had a different problem than the "hot" signal causing TIVO pixelation. I was address the problem fixed by attenuation. I do not wish to argue but I know that Verizon network level technicians (these guys are college educated engineers) do not believe the network is an issue. I'm not disparaging verizon field techs, but most guys who come to your house and unfortunately their supervisors do not have the same level of expertise, so I will take what they say with a grain of salt. Most are converted lineman, and phone techs that are working from "cook" books.
Like I said I respect the field techs and do not wish to belittle their knowledge. Some are very good, but it is not the majority unfortunately.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #1224
jchas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
I think that the attenuators are worth a shot. I apologize if you already tried them. I think if you search there is a link to order online. I am using the attenuators for about a year and a 1/2 16db and the pixelation is almost unnoticeable. IMO I would not hold my breath for a Tivo software fix. The guy who posted it may have good intentions but I am skeptical. I also know that most people who claim to have the pixelation problem( that is fixed by the attenuators) have found the issue come back after they made Verizon jump through hoops to try and fix it.

If your problem is mainly freezing then you may have a bad HD and will have to go the $49.99 route. I would try the attenuators first.
I have tried the attenuators and got my signal from a "locked 100" down to about 87. Really no noticeable difference though, I was hopeful they would help. My main issue is the pixelating, it comes and goes but has become extremely annoying. The freezes have occured more frequently lately, but they are not "system freezes" - meaning that I can change the channel and everything is back to normal. I did however lose a recording over the weekend that froze midway through.

After spending an hour on the phone with Tivo last night they are thinking my signal strength is now ideal, and are leaning towards my problem being centered around a bad tuner. I just don't want to spend more money if that's not going to fix the problem. If their is a software update coming, maybe I should at least wait and see if that helps me at all. Very frustrating because everything was fine with my services up until about 6 weeks ago.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #1225
ciucca

Quote:
I have tried the attenuators and got my signal from a "locked 100" down to about 87. Really no noticeable difference though, I was hopeful they would help. My main issue is the pixelating, it comes and goes but has become extremely annoying. The freezes have occured more frequently lately, but they are not "system freezes" - meaning that I can change the channel and everything is back to normal. I did however lose a recording over the weekend that froze midway through.

After spending an hour on the phone with Tivo last night they are thinking my signal strength is now ideal, and are leaning towards my problem being centered around a bad tuner. I just don't want to spend more money if that's not going to fix the problem. If their is a software update coming, maybe I should at least wait and see if that helps me at all. Very frustrating because everything was fine with my services up until about 6 weeks ago.
One thing to keep in mind. If indeed you have a "bad tuner", which seems reasonable since you are experiencing symptoms beyond normal pixelation. A software update is not going to fix it. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #1226
jchas41

Thanks! Yeah I'm trying to hold off a little longer on making a decision so that I can rule out a few more things before I fork over more cash.
It very well may be the tuner, just wanna be as sure as I can.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #1227
blacksnakeball

could my FIOS pixellation be a tuner problem?

Having tried numerous combinations of attenuators and low pass filters and still getting persistent pixellation with FIOS is it possible that I have a tuner problem too? I am past my 30 days for free return and I was waiting for the supposed softwasre fix and busy having VZ help me attenuate and low pass and swap out cable cards etc.

when i tried to return the box outright they told me this is not a hardware issue so I was stuck. But a tuner sounds like hardware to me...unless we are talking about some sort of external digital device????
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #1228
hmm52

Your TiVo has 2 tuners. If there's a significant difference in pixelation between them on the bad channels/frequencies, then I'd certainly suspect a tuner. If not, then I wouldn't. There could still be something extraneous in the cable or antenna feeds which affects one tuner more than the other, but VZ would have found that in a recent visit most likely.

With a software release addressing pixelation supposedly imminent, I would wait for that. What have you got to lose at this point?

The tuners are internal.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #1229
blacksnakeball

Quote:
Your TiVo has 2 tuners. If there's a significant difference in pixelation between them on the bad channels/frequencies, then I'd certainly suspect a tuner. If not, then I wouldn't. There could still be something extraneous in the cable or antenna feeds which affects one tuner more than the other, but VZ would have found that in a recent visit most likely.

With a software release addressing pixelation supposedly imminent, I would wait for that. What have you got to lose at this point?

The tuners are internal.
well if i wait another month and then the patch comes down and I still have pixelation I will be past my 90 day warranty return. I am leaning towards just returning my box and waiting for them to fix it but Tivo says I cannot do a return becasue I do not have a hardware problem. They say this is a FIOS issue!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #1230
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball View Post
well if i wait another month and then the patch comes down and I still have pixelation I will be past my 90 day warranty return. I am leaning towards just returning my box and waiting for them to fix it but Tivo says I cannot do a return becasue I do not have a hardware problem. They say this is a FIOS issue!!!

I think TIVO pretty much admitted the problem is theirs not FIOS. At least people who post on this board did. I guess the official TIVO position is to blame FIOS. What else can they do refund thousands of FIOS TIVO users boxes? IMO a shaddy business practice, and very much dishonest. But hey I can only count on one hand the number of companies that will stand behind their product, and bend over backwards to try to fix a problem they know is not theirs. Verizon, and ...