Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #1141
substance12

cjdog: thanks! great post. can't wait!
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #1142
exdishguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDOG View Post
Early this morning before Verizon arrived, I went to yahoo finance looked up the Tivo top executives and sent a scathing email to Tom and 4 folks just below him. I ranted about the poor service I had received, the inordinately long hold times within their phone system, the finger pointing back to my cable carrier and closed the email with the fact that I paid over $500 for a device that does not work as promised! Shortly after Verizon left my house and I had finished giving the L2 Tivo guy an earful, my phone rings from some California number? When I answer, some guy says he's from Tivo and wants to talk to me?! I ask if he is referring to my open case with Tivo (I did not include that in my email) he's like what open case? I'm not yet at liberty to speak freely about this, but I expect a resolution to come from Tivo in the mid-May to June timeframe. No hardware will be required. Hang in their gang, I'll get to the bottom of this....
I went down this path as well with my three Tivo HDs and had an L2 guy supposedly escalate the issue. The promised "fix" was never committed to and I received much the same treatment as you did - maybe worse. I do think the Moto DVR box at least demonstrates that the Tivo tuners could be better. However, in my case, once I switched to TWC all of my Tivo HDs worked perfectly with zero errors. So I am convinced that both parties are to blame for this issue, yet, both are more than happy to continue to market and promote each other's technology as compatible with the other and for those of us that can't get them working together, we get hosed!

Last edited by exdishguy : 04-21-2009 at 09:28 AM.
exdishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #1143
CJDOG

Verizon FIOS in Southern NJ, M-card & TIVO HD, Part II cont...

My case is far above Level 2 support. I am cautiously skeptical about this 'promised' fix. I will say however, my contact at Tivo has been responsive to me and has delivered on other promises already made to me. From that perspective, I really want to be optimistic. We have an open dialogue however my gut feeling is 'they' are not quite getting the point about how many of their customers this affects and how terribly frustration it is. We are so accustomed to our TVs working! plain and simple-turn it on, it works! just like a toaster-put in a slice of bread, push it down, minutes later it pops up-TOAST! Now when you shell out your hard earned dollars to purchase a 'non-essential' media related item and it don't work-MAN, that just irritates the heck out of you! That is the point they are missing. It's almost like they know they have us and they'll get to a fix on their own terms - no sense of urgency around our issue! It is this point I am pushing them on. So the ball is in their court (so to speak) and my communications with them will not cease until we have a pixelation fix in place. I've also worked up a document detailing precisely how many hours Verizon techs wasted at my home trying to resolve this issue. It really is not something a tech can resolve, just mask. If you aggregate the total hours spent across all the folks with issues, we've got a decent sized number of man hours spent on this - costing Verizon money and then ultimately passed on to the consumer! I will be contacting the Verizon execs to see if I can get them interested in joining in on the fun...
CJDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #1144
lhntx

Location: Houston (my family has been here for five generations)
I am having a lot less pixel problems after comcast came out again. First they said that the problem was that the signal from the pole was TOO high so they changed it. No problems for a couple of weeks, then I started getting NO signal on many channels so they came out and readjusted again. I am now occasionaly having pixel problems.
lhntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #1145
oregonman

Quote:
Hang in their gang, I'll get to the bottom of this....
Thanks for pursuing this so doggedly. I am still having pixilation problems (FIOS) after trying the attenuation and filter "fixes" and am just living with it, hoping that TIVO and Verizon will find a solution. I haven't had the energy to pursue it beyond one Verizon service call.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #1146
CJDOG

Verizon FIOS in Southern NJ, M-card & TIVO HD, Part II cont...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
Thanks for pursuing this so doggedly. I am still having pixilation problems (FIOS) after trying the attenuation and filter "fixes" and am just living with it, hoping that TIVO and Verizon will find a solution. I haven't had the energy to pursue it beyond one Verizon service call.
Yeah, don't worry, I'm not letting Tivo off the hook for this one. I did talk with them last week, the 'fix' is still on target for a mid-May or early June timeframe. We are getting close and hopefully, I will be able to report back here with some encouraging news for us. Keep your fingers crossed and don't waste your time on it further. I believe the path I'm on, should help others who have not had luck with attenuation or LPFs.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #1147
dslunceford

I certainly hope the issue can be addressed with software push of some kind. I'm split between this being hardware or signal related.

I have one box that's just fine, never any problem, but the family room has had blocking from the beginning and attenuators/having VZ come out has done nothing; neither did switching out a box with TiVo when probs first cropped up.

The blocking problems were never on heavily watched channels, so it was minor annoyance. Lately, however, in addition to blocking during programming on rarely-watched shows, I've seen issues on most-watched channels like Fox and ABC; strangest thing is, it doesn't happen during show content, but happens when commercials are on (especially as signal moves from a show to a commercial). That doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what's been happening (started about 30-45 days ago).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #1148
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Angry Add me now to the list of unhappy TIVO/FIOS client

I live in Ridgewood, NJ (Northern NJ) and have been a happy TIVO S3 owner since Oct.'06 - 2 years with Cablevision, the rest with FIOS, never a problem nor a glitch.

About mid March I too satarted to experience pixelation, freezes and stuttering on all HD channels

I have since:
  • ran kickstart 54 (both drives passed)
  • kickstart 57 and 58
  • erased all recording older than 1 month
  • erased / cleaned the RD folder, re ran ks 57 & 58 after this
  • used all attenuator/splitter combos- from none to -25db
  • changed the location / zip code in guided setup (used all 5 NJ and 4 NY areas available)
  • swapped my cablecards from slot 1 & 2
  • added the VSMA 601C line amplifier by itself and in combo with attenuators

NADA

my pixelation across most HD FIOS channels remains

If I have missed any other possible remedy, and yes I will consider snake oil or hiring a ju-ju man, please let me know...... I am getting close the the F*ck you both TIVO and FIOS point.

Thanks,

Gman
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1149
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
If I have missed any other possible remedy, and yes I will consider snake oil or hiring a ju-ju man, please let me know...... I am getting close the the F*ck you both TIVO and FIOS point.
Order a DVR from Verizon and have them install it where your TiVo is now. It would be interesting to see if it also has signal problems. If it does, then you know for sure that the problem is with the service, and you can force Verizon to fix it.

And if it works, then surely a crappy DVR from Verizon is better than no DVR at all?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #1150
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Order a DVR from Verizon and have them install it where your TiVo is now. It would be interesting to see if it also has signal problems. If it does, then you know for sure that the problem is with the service, and you can force Verizon to fix it.

And if it works, then surely a crappy DVR from Verizon is better than no DVR at all?
I have 3 crappy Veirzon Motorola HD DVRs in the house... one on top of my Tivo, as a backup... and it never has a problem. I just really don't like using it.

As I see it, TIVO is too lazy to fix via hardware the problem and FIOS is deliberately undermining TIVO by exploiting Tivo's weakness (within the law), so both are at fault because my viewing enjoyment is compromised and my freedom of choice is restricted.

Gman
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #1151
richsadams

Quote:
As I see it, TIVO is too lazy to fix via hardware the problem and FIOS is deliberately undermining TIVO by exploiting Tivo's weakness (within the law), so both are at fault because my viewing enjoyment is compromised and my freedom of choice is restricted.
That's a statement that I can get behind to some extent. However I don't think it's so much laziness or nefarious agendas. I think it really boils down to numbers. The fact is that the percentage of people w/FIOS and TiVo is very small. I truly believe both company's are interested in the best product experience possible. But in the grand scheme of things both FIOS and TiVo have bigger fish to fry. Although it seems like the whole world is saying that there's a problem on this forum (and a few others), it really doesn't amount to a great percentage of either company's customer base...at least at this time.

Resources are finite, particularly in the current economy. If they're to be dedicated to one area or another, the winner will be the issue(s) that get the biggest bang for the buck. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should be resigned to the status quo...plenty of noise should be made. But the reality is that this issue isn't going to be a "level one priority" until it commands more attention than other issues with which both companies are dealing. The ability to affect a company's revenue stream is proportional. So there are improvements to be made and it's likely to be on everyone's "to do list", but behind some higher priority items. In the meantime it'll probably be a patchwork of fixes on a local basis.

Again, no one should give up. This needs to be addressed sooner than later.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #1152
bkdtv

Quote:
Have you signed up at TiVo Field Trials site? That's what TiVo uses to pick its testers, which then play a significant role in what issues get fixed.

If you want this problem to be addressed, you should (a) call TiVo and let them know about it, and (b) sign up at the TiVo Field Trials to increase the pool of testers that experience it. If everyone that complained here would spend the two minutes to sign up, this issue would've been addressed long ago.

When TiVo randomly picks testers, they aren't going to prioritize a problem that affects 1 in 100 testers. But if 15 in 100 testers experience the problem, it is not going to fall on deaf ears.

Signing up is no guarantee that you will be randomly picked to test TiVo software. But if more people here sign up, that will directly translate into more people being randomly picked to help TiVo determine what issues are fixed and prioritized for fix.

Last edited by bkdtv : 05-10-2009 at 07:33 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #1153
cpettis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
[Snip]

Signing up is no guarantee that you will be randomly picked to test TiVo software. But if more people here sign up, that will directly translate into more people being randomly picked to help TiVo determine what issues are fixed and prioritized for fix.
Signed up and registered both my HD TIVO's and my PC.
cpettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #1154
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
I have 3 crappy Veirzon Motorola HD DVRs in the house... one on top of my Tivo, as a backup... and it never has a problem. I just really don't like using it.
Okay, maybe you have already done the following. But if not, then humor me ...

Disconnect the coax that goes to the Verizon DVR on top of your TiVo and connect it directly to your TiVo. (This isn't the same thing as using a different output of the same splitter!). Does this improve your TiVo?

Also, disconnect the coax that goes to your TiVo and connect it to your Verizon DVR. Does it still work?

Rarely do people report doing direct A/B coax swaps between working and non-working boxes. It's usually something along the lines of the "upstairs" DVR works while the "basement" TiVo doesn't. Or similar apples/oranges.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 AM   #1155
richsadams

Quote:
Rarely do people report doing direct A/B coax swaps between working and non-working boxes. It's usually something along the lines of the "upstairs" DVR works while the "basement" TiVo doesn't. Or similar apples/oranges.
Good point(s).
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #1156
CJDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I totally agree with this Rich! During my conversations with Tivo (not the 1-800-customer support folks) they are aware of our issues with FIOS & Tivo. I also know they have a fix in the works and it will be delivered to a some "beta" testers shortly - about 1-2weeks. I am on that short list. Just by signing up to the Tivo Field Trials, does not guarantee your Tivo will get any beta software. As several folks have already stated, limited resources and a small affected user population puts this lower on their "list". But as the saying goes "the squeaky wheel..." Well, I am that squeaky wheel and Tivo is listening (finally and in my opinion way too late). The next week or 2 will tell us if we can put an end to all this wasted effort and just enjoy the product we purchased. Technology is great when it works but darn right annoying when it doesn't.
Here's a shot of my side-by-side Tivo & Verizon STB.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #1157
richsadams

Good work CJDOG! (And this isn't a mutual admiration thing ) I signed up for the beta tests as well. I'd be thrilled to give the new software a try. Since I've only seen macroblocking, etc. a few times I'm not as frustrated with the situation as everyone else probably is, but I hate even the faintest glitch while I'm watching TV.

For me it seems it's an almost all or nothing experience. RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors are almost always 0 on both tuners. But when things go south they do it in a hurry. The other night we started watching Gray's Anatomy about 25 minutes into the recording. I noticed small macroblocking/pixelization and quickly checked the stats. The RS Uncorrected errors were around 1200 while the corrected errors shot through the roof...over 5 million before the show was over. So the actual viewing experience wasn't terrible...just the odd garbled pixels here and there...but it was annoying. That never happened when we had Comcast. (The FIOS PQ is far better at least) Again, that's not the norm, things are usually fine, but when it happens it's very frustrating.

Having had a number of calbeco's over the years and satellite as well I know that digital transmissions can/will never be perfect but the FIOS issue is an obvious and manageable issue that can be overcome IMHO.

I really hope that the "fix is in" as they say and that TiVo can generate an upgrade to deal with it. Anyone waiting for a hardware fix shouldn't hold their breath. However we've seen problems much greater than this addressed with OS upgrades, so I'm confident that it can be done.

Thanks again for the positive feedback and continued tenacity with TiVo!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #1158
ciucca

Thanks CJDOG for pointing out how Verizon bends over backwards for their customers when they know the problem is not with their equipment. You are much more reasonable and intelligent than the other people who post on this thread.

The other people here do not need to worry I will not post on this board anymore. Except for a few people, the majority of people here, really do not now much regardless what they think.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #1159
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
Thanks CJDOG for pointing out how Verizon bends over backwards for their customers when they know the problem is not with their equipment. You are much more reasonable and intelligent than the other people who post on this thread.

The other people here do not need to worry I will not post on this board anymore. Except for a few people, the majority of people here, really do not now much regardless what they think.
Okay, I'm confused. I looked back through some of your posts and from day one you've said the problem lies with TiVo and TiVo only...nothing to do with FIOS...period. You've made up your mind and that's that. That's fine. But then CJDOG posted that TiVo is trying to do something about it and you ridicule him? Then you take the time to insult the rest of us that are trying to make a difference? Can you be any more helpful?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #1160
webin

Quote:
Okay, I'm confused. I looked back through some of your posts and from day one you've said the problem lies with TiVo and TiVo only...nothing to do with FIOS...period. You've made up your mind and that's that. That's fine. But then CJDOG posted that TiVo is trying to do something about it and you ridicule him? Then you take the time to insult the rest of us that are trying to make a difference? Can you be any more helpful?
Don't feed the professional troll, Rich. If he's really leaving the forums, let him go quickly and without interruption.

BTW... I was recently selected for field trials (without specifically signing up first). I was under the impression you couldn't talk about your participation or what may (or may not) be tested during such trials. Am I just naive?
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #1161
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Don't feed the professional troll, Rich. If he's really leaving the forums, let him go quickly and without interruption.

BTW... I was recently selected for field trials (without specifically signing up first). I was under the impression you couldn't talk about your participation or what may (or may not) be tested during such trials. Am I just naive?
Yeah...just one of those head scratcher moments to be filed under "What the...?"

Excellent about the field trials...local representation and all. I haven't been selected so not sure what the NDA says. IIRC other folks have said that they can't say much though.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #1162
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
That's a statement that I can get behind to some extent. However I don't think it's so much laziness or nefarious agendas. I think it really boils down to numbers. The fact is that the percentage of people w/FIOS and TiVo is very small. I truly believe both company's are interested in the best product experience possible. But in the grand scheme of things both FIOS and TiVo have bigger fish to fry. Although it seems like the whole world is saying that there's a problem on this forum (and a few others), it really doesn't amount to a great percentage of either company's customer base...at least at this time.

Resources are finite, particularly in the current economy. If they're to be dedicated to one area or another, the winner will be the issue(s) that get the biggest bang for the buck. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should be resigned to the status quo...plenty of noise should be made. But the reality is that this issue isn't going to be a "level one priority" until it commands more attention than other issues with which both companies are dealing. The ability to affect a company's revenue stream is proportional. So there are improvements to be made and it's likely to be on everyone's "to do list", but behind some higher priority items. In the meantime it'll probably be a patchwork of fixes on a local basis.

good point
Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #1163
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Okay, maybe you have already done the following. But if not, then humor me ...

Disconnect the coax that goes to the Verizon DVR on top of your TiVo and connect it directly to your TiVo. (This isn't the same thing as using a different output of the same splitter!). Does this improve your TiVo?

Also, disconnect the coax that goes to your TiVo and connect it to your Verizon DVR. Does it still work?

I thought that from all the testing doen by me I didn't have to specify a such a basic step and will not take offense you asking me to do so, you're trying to be thurough and I should have written it down.....

Yes I did.

I also have 2 seperate home run COAXs to the FIOS box in the basement and for fun I connected one of them straight into the fiber optic box (I think the lingo is ONT), and played around with attenuators/booster combos.

I also plugged into the chain, just for fun, a power surge with the COAX in / out, and an old AVR (Yamaha) with the COAX in / out.

I also used a rat shack A/B switch to have the same signal go into TIVO/TV, TIVO/Motorola... damn, both the Panasonic Plasma (pz800u)and Motorola kept working like there was nothing wrong with the signal

Gman
Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #1164
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:

I totally agree with this Rich! During my conversations with Tivo (not the 1-800-customer support folks) they are aware of our issues with FIOS & Tivo. I also know they have a fix in the works and it will be delivered to a some "beta" testers shortly - about 1-2weeks. I am on that short list. Just by signing up to the Tivo Field Trials, does not guarantee your Tivo will get any beta software. As several folks have already stated, limited resources and a small affected user population puts this lower on their "list". But as the saying goes "the squeaky wheel..." Well, I am that squeaky wheel and Tivo is listening (finally and in my opinion way too late). The next week or 2 will tell us if we can put an end to all this wasted effort and just enjoy the product we purchased. Technology is great when it works but darn right annoying when it doesn't.
Here's a shot of my side-by-side Tivo & Verizon STB.
Nice work!!

btw, the levels I have found to be the "least" problematic for me is Signal strength 50 ~ SNR 28 where I average approx 8,000 RS uncorrected in the 1st few min befor leveling off to about 100 per min.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #1165
CJDOG

Verizon FIOS in Southern NJ, M-card & TIVO HD, Part III cont...

OK, this may be my last post for a little bit. Tivo is pushing me to sign an NDA before they allow the beta to hit my tivo unit. Time will tell. keep your fingers crossed !
I'll report back when I'm satisfied.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #1166
richsadams

Quote:
OK, this may be my last post for a little bit. Tivo is pushing me to sign an NDA before they allow the beta to hit my tivo unit. Time will tell. keep your fingers crossed !
TIA for being a guinea pig...um...beta tester! Hopefully good news will follow when they unmuzzle you!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #1167
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
I am signed up but have not been tapped to beta test.

Good luck from your Norther NJ pixellation riddled bretheren.

Gman
Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #1168
webin

I removed my 6dB of attenuation last night and watched the entire 3 hours of Lost on ABC without a tinge of pixelation. I'll check other channels tonight (as I work through my backlog of recordings).
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #1169
richsadams

So far the only channel I'm seeing consistent pixelizatoin/macroblocking issues on is ABC HD (FIOS 502). The problems are sporadic and fairly minor but still annoying. As previously mentioned, if we decide to watch while a recording is being made and I see it I'll look at the info screens. RS Uncorrected errors are in the high hundreds, sometimes a little over 1000. But RS Corrected errors are in the millions, more than 5 million sometimes. I only record some ABC programs at night. I've checked on the channel during the day using both tuners and both RS Corrected and Uncorrected remain at zero.

Other channels appear to be fine. So for me 502 at night is problematic. I don't have any attenuation at the moment but when I find time I'll experiment a bit the SmartHome kit that I have sitting here.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #1170
Cybertron

Pixelating with Multi-stream card on Tivo HD with Fios

Please feel free to point me to a relevant post if this has already been asked:

I just switched to Fios and had a Motorola Multi-stream card installed into my new Tivo HD, and several of the HD channels have pixelation issues. It mostly seems to be the networks (ABC, NBC, etc). The HD movie channels look ok so far.

Any ideas?
Cybertron is offline   Reply With Quote