TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #721
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vutng103 View Post
I had pixelations and at times no channels at all. I went through all the troubleshooting except for the obvious... I have an RF splitter hooked up to share cable to another room. The output was not sufficient and I replaced with a 2 Way 2 GigaHertz RF Splitter from Monster (highly recommended). Picture was much clearer on both TVs.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=663
Good info. Thanks for the post. Often times it's the small things like splitters, old coax, etc. that get overlooked. Glad to hear things are better.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #722
mbhuff

I wanted to chime in here. I have two S3 connected to FIOS. I did get some pixelization after the install, but it was intermittent. Adding 16 db of attenuation did help a lot, but one of my S3s then lost the cable-card sync after a couple of days, so I removed the attentuation and everything was working (although the pixelation returned).

Last week both S3s got the 9.3 update. Since then I haven't had a single issue. I can't guarantee that the problem is fixed, but it certainly looks good.
mbhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #723
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhuff View Post
Last week both S3s got the 9.3 update. Since then I haven't had a single issue. I can't guarantee that the problem is fixed, but it certainly looks good.
Great to hear...very promising. They're installing FIOS outside my door as I type and I really want to dump Comcast, but as you can imagine all this chatter has made me nervous.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted. Hopefully others that have had issues will try removing their attenuators when they receive the v9.3a upgrade with the same results...and will chime in as well! (Selfish I know...but what can I say? )
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #724
hmm52

follow up on warranty exchange saga

It's a relief to be dealing with someone with the authority to be creative in addressing requests. Woman from TiVo exec's office called yesterday to keep me updated. Apparently new S3's won't be available for exchange until around mid May. Just sit on the 2nd refurb. until then. - out in the garage maybe where its diseases can't infect original unit. In lieu of the aggravation of a weak tuner 0, my initial months of free service will be substantially extended.

So if you feel stuck in a quagmire with CSRs, I recommend making the effort to jump over them to management. It has easily been more efficient with TiVo & years ago when I got totally fed up with Comcast's billing dept. I laughed after a call with management where the fellow concocted a package out of every imaginable incentive, though cable tv wasn't even his area. Sure beats arguing over the correct cost of cablecards.
hmm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #725
esb1981

Okay, I posted the other day that my pixelation had vanished after the 9.3 update. Good thing I posted that, because it's back already... but now on another channel. So who knows what's happened.
esb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #726
wmblanken

still pixelating

I also have the new software release. Still pixelization on a number of channels, mostlly SD locals.

TIVOHD with 2 cable cards and verizon fios.
wmblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #727
MANOWARę
um, yeah.

I'm seeing it too, but on both HD and SD however it's NOT on the HD channels that I can get OTA if I wanted (NBC,ABC,etc) basically the major networks. Seeing as how this is so wide spread with every cable provider it's got to be a TiVo issue. I used to install catv for Cox and I wired my house myself. I can guarantee it's not a cable/wiring/signal issue for me. Everything in my house up to the TiVo is flawless and top of the line.

It seems to be happening on shows that were never recorded in HD and are up converted from the cable company OR HD shows that are less than 720p for me.
MANOWARę is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #728
hmm52

Who's your provider? At what frequencies are the pixelating channels?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #729
MANOWARę
um, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
Who's your provider? At what frequencies are the pixelating channels?
comcast, not sure what the frequencies are.

just checked the diagnostics screen and it says my frequency is 183000KHZ if that means anything.
Channel bits:30746
Signal Strength:100
SNR:37 dB
Tune state: in progress

Last edited by MANOWARę : 04-23-2008 at 09:44 PM.
MANOWARę is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #730
hmm52

The frequency listed directly under the channel number. I think you'll find that tiling/pixelating channels are clustered on a few frequencies. Usually 2 HDs/freq. Up to 10 or 12 SDs/freq. Any difference between tuner 0 & 1? Attenuators work to reduce/eliminate pixelation if caused by too hot a signal, if that is your only problem. Much discussion of them & SNR in this thread & others.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #731
hmm52

A change in tuners

Just got a call from "lead" tech at TiVo as promised. Talked for awhile about my S3 - consistently weak tuner 0 mainly in 7-800MHz range; occasional pixelation both tuners for locals 520 - 590MHz. He mentioned attenuators to deal with the latter but agreed that tuner 0 was almost certainly a hardware problem.

He advised me to wait for exchange as the new S3s coming in will have reworked tuners. But not wait too long as supply may be limited. He was also given an ETA sometime in May.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #732
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
Just got a call from "lead" tech at TiVo as promised. Talked for awhile about my S3 - consistently weak tuner 0 mainly in 7-800MHz range; occasional pixelation both tuners for locals 520 - 590MHz. He mentioned attenuators to deal with the latter but agreed that tuner 0 was almost certainly a hardware problem.

He advised me to wait for exchange as the new S3s coming in will have reworked tuners. But not wait too long as supply may be limited. He was also given an ETA sometime in May.
AAAAHHHHH!!!! Reworked tuners! I guess I was right about the tuner hardware issue! I hope they extend this to all the FIOS customers having the same problem.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #733
hmm52

So where have you been? I thought I'd killed this thread off completely. Did you hear that a few are having difficulties with 9.3? Nothing much has changed here. I'm sitting on the second refurb. Tivo's sitting on $850 or whatever it is exactly; I've forgotten. Glad I'm seeing much less freezing with 9.3, not more. Tiling remains more or less as it was, varying somewhat with signal. I will definitely post when new unit arrives and has had time to settle out. With current state of affairs, I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #734
wmblanken

Pixelation Gone for Now

Strange, but the channels that were pixelating have been fine for a couple of days. The signal still bounces around (from 100 to 93 to 100 to 87 and so on), but no corrected or uncorrected errors.

I've got 6db of attenuation, might take it off and see what happens.
wmblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #735
tman316

Attenuators worked for me

Hello, long time lurker first time poster.

I just wanted to say that after months of frustration I finally purchased the attenuators and applied 13db to my tv as suggested earlier in this thread, it has been 2 weeks now and the pixalation has not been a problem. It took me a while to finally order the attenuators because the problem would disappear for a few days at a time. It seemed to occur mostly during prime time on the major networks but maybe I just noticed it more there because that is what I watch mostly.

My setup is as follows:
Tivo HD
1 multistream Motorola CC
Comcast Houston

Thank you to everyone on this thread that came up with this workaround.

Regards,
Mike
tman316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #736
esb1981

I think the 9.3 update has improved the video error correction software, somehow. I know there are problems in my cable signal that sometimes cause pixelation. This had started occuring the other day on one channel (I had previously taken off all my attenuators because Cox had done work and things seemed to be fixed, so the signal was strong). I put a -3db attenuator on and the pixelation stopped, even though a check of diagnostics showed the corrected errors continuing constantly, but there were no corrected errors. Before 9.3, if I was having pixelation I could attenuate down and both the corrected and uncorrected errors would decrease, but not completely disappear, meaning I would get occasional pixelation.

Here's my amateur view on this - there are errors inside the signal sometimes (who knows what they are), and these errors can be amplified if the signal is too strong, thus causing the pixelation. If you attenuate the signal down, the Tivo does a better job of correcting the errors.
esb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #737
ciucca

Know that I have 9.3a instead of 9.3A, the pixelation has calmed down a lot. I used to get continuous "correction errors" without attenuators. I have removed the attenuators and, now they increase very little over a 24 hour period. Not noticeable on the screen. Coincidence? who knows, I will continue to monitor the situation. One other interesting thing the signal jumping from 100 (without attenuation) to 60 during the pixelation has not been seen for the last 3 days. The signal on both tuners have been pinned on 100%.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #738
basf_audio

It's been a few weeks now - but I'm getting really bad freezes and pixelation on only two channels - HD FOX & HD NBC (I'm in Saint Louis with Charter). All of my other HD & SD channels work fine... I do have version 9.3a and external storage. I deleted all of my deleted items and have plenty of drive space.

Looking at the signal strength for the two channels they bounce around a lot between no signal at 80%.

I've rebooted and unplugged and restarted several times.

Is this just a wait and see issue now? Should I contact Charter on this or just have the two companies point at each other?

_dave
basf_audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #739
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post
Here's my amateur view on this - there are errors inside the signal sometimes (who knows what they are), and these errors can be amplified if the signal is too strong, thus causing the pixelation. If you attenuate the signal down, the Tivo does a better job of correcting the errors.
I share pretty much the same amateur view that you have. Except that it looks to me like the TiVos have difficulty dealing with line errors when the signal level is outside of a certain range - low or high. I've never used attenuation as a modest amount knocked out many channels that had tuned OK. I haven't seen tiling on local HDs (high level) for probably 3 weeks now, so the antenna has been out of use. The number of tiling weak channels has reduced though there's more correspondence between tuner 0 & 1 performance than there formerly was. Quality of signal delivered out of Verizon CO a major unknown variable, so impossible for me to draw any conclusions.

For previous poster, I'd bet that the Fox and NBC primary HDs are on the same cable frequency. Maybe worth a call to provider if expectations are not high.

I haven't checked in with TiVo exec. office recently about status of new replacement for original with somewhat weak tuner 0. I figure they have their hands full dealing with more important 9.3 update problems. I'll remind them I'm still around in the next week.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #740
nuggets

I have a new Tivo HD (3 weeks old) and Comcast cable in a new complex in San Fran. Tivo has software version and I'm using a Motorola M-Card installed in the tuner 1 slot. I'm seeing the pixelation issues on many HD channels. The worst is CNN HD, Animal Planet, Discovery, and our local ABC affiliate. It definitely gets worse at night during prime time. Using the diags it looks like my Tivo loses it when the signal strength goes below 68. It appears that the worst channels for me are CNNHD with an avg. 75 strength, 33dB SNR, at 825000 KHz. Next is DiscoverHD with an avg. 75 strength, 34 SNR at 837000 KHz. Animal Planet HD is pretty crappy at 819000 KHz. Seems like I'm having problems with the channels in the 8xxxxx KHz frequencies.

My M Card has also lost pairing with Comcast 2 times in the last 3 weeks.

I'm calling Tivo and Comcast today to see what's up.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #741
nuggets

Oops, and I have Tivo SW version 9.3a-01-2-652.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #742
untechie

add me

we've had the s3 box for just over a year. it has almost always operated fine. around 10 days ago we started getting severe pixalation on all HD channels. Unplugging the coax will "unfreeze" the unit. SNR strength is @36-37, and OOB SNR runs @ 22-23 on both cable cards. both cards are SA's. we performed the "57" repair @5 times to no avail. Comcast (New Jersey) "hit the cards once but no change in status. During one call to Comcast the telephone tech indicated she received an email pointing to a "head" issue. I know Comcast is going to blame the TIVO unit. Yea, the quality of both field techs and telephone techs with Comcast vary greatly. Is there a definitive internal diagnostic I can run to tell if the unit crapped out, or if Comcast is the problem. I'd be really bummed if I ran out and purchased a new unit only to find the same problem. any help is much appreciated, i know just enough to be dangerous.
untechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #743
nuggets

well, well, well. I removed the splitter provided by Comcast to split my signal to my modem and Tivo. Signal strength jumped up between 93-100 on all the problematic channels. Inserted the splitter again...down to 68. Looks like a bad or improper splitter. I'm off to Radio Shack to purchase a new one. The one Comcast installed is an SVI Digital 5-1000MHZ splitter, FWIW.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #744
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by untechie View Post
we've had the s3 box for just over a year. it has almost always operated fine. around 10 days ago we started getting severe pixalation on all HD channels. Unplugging the coax will "unfreeze" the unit. SNR strength is @36-37, and OOB SNR runs @ 22-23 on both cable cards. both cards are SA's. we performed the "57" repair @5 times to no avail. Comcast (New Jersey) "hit the cards once but no change in status. During one call to Comcast the telephone tech indicated she received an email pointing to a "head" issue. I know Comcast is going to blame the TIVO unit. Yea, the quality of both field techs and telephone techs with Comcast vary greatly. Is there a definitive internal diagnostic I can run to tell if the unit crapped out, or if Comcast is the problem. I'd be really bummed if I ran out and purchased a new unit only to find the same problem. any help is much appreciated, i know just enough to be dangerous.
Most of us here know just enough to be dangerous. Your signal strength values aren't right. If they were, you'd be seeing nothing but black and a searching for channel message. Check the diagnostics screen again for channel info on tuner 0 & 1, not 00B. Curious that the phone rep mentioned a head end problem. I've only heard that from Verizon when a tech has called me after resolutions at central office, or at VHO. I'd assume that rep was correct. We aren't alone with these pixelation issues. Comcast & Verizon customers using Motorola boxes in Phila. area have also had tiling in the same periods that TiVo users have - just to a lesser degree. The frequencies that my S3 chronically has difficulty with are the upper 700MHzs - mostly on tuner 0 and never above 800MHz.

There is nothing easier than hooking up a modest antenna, & adding to setup, for backup and troubleshooting.

I very much doubt that your cablecards are the problem. Knowing the correct diagnostics values would be helpful.

nuggets - It was common to see tiling in second half of SNL. Not recently though. Perhaps VZ has moved back their CO/VHO repair & maintenance window locally; it usually began at 12:00AM. Tiling did vary from hour to hour anyway however.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #745
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
Know that I have 9.3a instead of 9.3A, the pixelation has calmed down a lot. I used to get continuous "correction errors" without attenuators. I have removed the attenuators and, now they increase very little over a 24 hour period. Not noticeable on the screen. Coincidence? who knows, I will continue to monitor the situation. One other interesting thing the signal jumping from 100 (without attenuation) to 60 during the pixelation has not been seen for the last 3 days. The signal on both tuners have been pinned on 100%.
Update. Pixelation is gone. I have not had a signal pixelation or signal flux for the past 3 days.

The people seeing pixelation since 9.3a, maybe you should check the signal strength, and try removing any attenuators if you have them. Could they have fixed the problem for FIOS customers and broke it for everyone else?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #746
basf_audio

Neighbor's HD Channels fine without TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by basf_audio View Post
It's been a few weeks now - but I'm getting really bad freezes and pixelation on only two channels - HD FOX & HD NBC (I'm in Saint Louis with Charter). All of my other HD & SD channels work fine... I do have version 9.3a and external storage. I deleted all of my deleted items and have plenty of drive space.

Looking at the signal strength for the two channels they bounce around a lot between no signal at 80%.

I've rebooted and unplugged and restarted several times.

Is this just a wait and see issue now? Should I contact Charter on this or just have the two companies point at each other?

_dave
I checked out a neighbor's HD system with just a standard HD cablebox and their FOX and NBC channels are just fine. However - no TiVo for them.

I'm going to call the cable company and ask for some help. Like a lot of people here, I've been running fine on all HD channels for the last 2 months and then this happened. Software, hardware - who knows. But it seems like this thread shows that "something" has happened recently. And I didn't purchase an HD TiVo to only record some of my channels.

Thanks!

_DS
basf_audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #747
hmm52

Most likely these two channels are on the same frequency. Diagnostics screen will show that. Neighbor's box doesn't tell you much. My TiVo S3 is much less tolerant of off signals than 3 other cablecard/QAM devices I have.

If you don't want to miss any of these channels programs, connect a simple antenna (preferably with UHF loop or other); add to setup; repeat guided setup & acquire guide data. You should be good to go in 30-45 minutes, with broadband Internet connection.----assuming you're not in a difficult reception area.

Call Charter and let them know about channels & frequency(ies).
Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #748
ilh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
Update. Pixelation is gone. I have not had a signal pixelation or signal flux for the past 3 days.

The people seeing pixelation since 9.3a, maybe you should check the signal strength, and try removing any attenuators if you have them. Could they have fixed the problem for FIOS customers and broke it for everyone else?
I tried going from 16dB attenuation down to 6dB with 9.3a and FiOS and uncorrected errors dramatically increased. I'm back up to 16dB (plus 9dB of splitters). In my experience, 9.3a did nothing for the problem of FiOS being too hot (for the TiVo HD).

I did notice that 9.3a seems to make pixelation MUCH less visually noticeable. I suspect they are not using errorful data, but rather just keeping the contents from the previous frame for an errorful region.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #749
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilh View Post
I tried going from 16dB attenuation down to 6dB with 9.3a and FiOS and uncorrected errors dramatically increased. I'm back up to 16dB (plus 9dB of splitters). In my experience, 9.3a did nothing for the problem of FiOS being too hot (for the TiVo HD).

I did notice that 9.3a seems to make pixelation MUCH less visually noticeable. I suspect they are not using errorful data, but rather just keeping the contents from the previous frame for an errorful region.
Interesting. I am not seeing the issue, and my Signal is pinned at 100%. I tested all channels, and it is fine. With that said I found that there is a weird momentary stutter, maybe it is what you are talking about. Anyway I'm sure it is a side affect of fixing the pixelation.

Are you in NNJ? I am.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #750
Chip Chanko

Currently have pixelation on ABC, NBC, WMPT HD on FIOS in Arlington, VA. Have 11 db attenuation between 7.5 db splitter and 3.5 db attenuator. I'm going to try going to 16 this weekend. My Sony DHG-HDD250 is receiving the other signal off the splitter with NO PROBLEMS. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by Chip Chanko : 05-15-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Chip Chanko is offline   Reply With Quote