TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #661
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2 View Post
Well, my new MFS'd 750GB drive is in, working, and no sturring to speak of on any channels, HD or otherwise.

Plus, 98 hours HD capacity to boot.

WinMFS. Just do it.
Glad to hear life is good again.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #662
vburnett53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware View Post
Just wanted to start a thread with various troubleshooting measures that have been tested;

1. Manually rebooted - No Difference.
2. Upgraded connection cable between wall outlet to Tivo to RG6 from RG59 - No Difference.
3. Cooled system down from 48 C to 43 C using external fan - No Difference.
4. Changed from Component to HDMI Connection - No Difference, but resolution switching is more smooth on my Sony VBR2.

Additional planned testing:
1. Remove all other connections to my cable line including modem.
2. Power conditioning maybe.

Any other thoughts on what I could try?

EDITED ON 9/6/07: It appears that the issues experience by many users who had SA SCards has been resolved with the 8.17c update. I have downloaded the update and my wife tested (I am traveling and cannot test myself) and during 15 ninutes of viewing she saw no pixelation. Others have tested also and have seen drastic improvement.

EDITED ON 11/28/07:FIOS Pixelation Fix Update
FIOS Pixelation Fix
EDITED ON 3/19/08: I am also having pixilation problems using the cable cards provided by Sudden Link. I am willing to try the solution above, but I am wondering to what the 8.17c update is referring. Is it to the cable card, the Tivo, ???
vburnett53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #663
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Ha! No sir...bathtub temperature water for me...Fiji, Turks and Caicos, Belize...and sharks just big enough to pet...nothing that can call me dinner!

TiVo on the other hand can give me fits like anyone else. Over the years I think I've gotten to be at peace with the fact that they've always come through is all. Never as quickly as I want of course...but eventually. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know...but I guess that's my tolerance level.

Now I have to go out and put some gas in my car. Thanks for reminding me.
Rich,

Though off topic, it demonstrated an on topic point: Speculation based on limited data has dubious value. Should have known better though. "Eat, sleep, dive" not likely the words of a shore or free diver. Good match for a dedicated resort or live aboard type. My flights to the left have repeatedly stuttered, lost tune, then been attenuated to Hawaii somewhere. So I've never seen the full spectrum of Indian Ocean life, only a few side bands. Nearly went to the Seychelles but petty crime, a daunting itinerary, and a not overly enthusiastic girlfriend caused that plan to crash even though, being European, she had one less jump to make. Why bother? Service providers....A global issue. The core part fantastic. Peripherals episodically make you want to pixelate them. So I do envy you for Fiji trip, probably others too. I hope the reefs on the flip side are in good shape. Protect things for future generations. Not our right to wreck them.

My oil cartel words came after gloomy Monday voice message from adviser. He forgot that I don't allow that tone of voice to be deposited for me. His son has worked as a banker in Dubai for many years so maybe he knows something we don't want to hear. Then again, his advice has often been off target unless "buy high, sell low" is the maxim. Anyway, the implied suggestion was to gather up some gold bricks or euros, not just petrol. Convenience stores out your way offering those products yet?

While I agree that Verizon is new to CATV, they are far from an upstart company - market cap 100 bil./'07 net 5,521 mil. (TiVo Inc. - market cap 885 mil./'07 loss 48 mil. Has TiVo ever made any money on an annual basis? on a quarterly basis?) VZ has been foaming at the mouth, and spending a bundle, to expand their FiOSTV subscriber base. Yet they have policies in place which rigidly obstruct maintenance and improvement of their product - within the FiOS entity and in customer relations. The net policy result is a waste of money, not cost savings. This is characteristic of a behemoth regardless of how new FiOS itself is. Unfortunately the needed impetus for VZ flexibility will probably have to come from the other CATV provider in the local duopoly. Maybe the explosion in sales of QAM tuning devices alone will help spur them on. Wouldn't bet on it though.

My personal gripe with them is twofold: After 8 solid months of FiOS without the tiniest macroblock being seen, I have routine tiling (pixelation) episodes since then - 2 devices. I don't know how widespread my experience is, but I know I'm certainly not alone in it. In November VZ made a change whereby it became very difficult to tune unencrypted digitals except for very "local interest" channels and bizarro programming of all sorts. Only 1 in 5 QAM devices that I have can still tune the local SDs & HDs unencrypted. In this I know everybody in Phila. area has had the same problem. Since November. The goal being an STB or cablecard paired to every Tv in the house? I hope that cablecard devices flourish; that the industry becomes more responsive & responsible; and in general it stops being Beta here, Beta there, Beta everywhere. VZ certainly has the ability to make the changes. The question is their inclination to do so.

Enough ranting and raving. Better to think of a vacation destination. Good luck finding gold bricks. You may need them for future travel to old familiar places.

Heck

Last edited by hmm52 : 03-19-2008 at 04:39 PM.
hmm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #664
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
Is anyone seeing this issue with OTA signals? I bought my TivoHD specifically so I could go pure-OTA and dump Comcast. Ever since I installed it my picture has been gorgeous, but pixelates on multiple channels every so often (sometimes it's every minute or two during an entire program, usually it's once every 15 minutes or so. Not unwatchable, but damn annoying). I've checked and my signals strength is at least 65 for every channel. I had this issue the other night and checked the signal strength. I sat there watching the signal strength meter for several minutes with the show playing in the background. It was still pixelating, even with a strength hovering around 80!

I read through a lot of the thread, but lots of it seemed to be old firmware and most people seem to be having issues with Cablecards and cable providers. Is anyone else running OTA signals only and seeing this issue?
I've been promoting antennas as a workaround for the pixelation on local digitals, depending on cable provider. I've only seen it with OTA, in 6+ weeks with S3, during recnt storm. 60 mph wind gusts caused tiling equally between TiVo and Sony QAM tuners. Only difference - Sony screen pixelated then went to black before coming back up; TiVo never went to black, just stayed with tiling before clearing up.

Signal strength in diagnostics screen is more responsive than SS meter (great for orienting antenna though). You'll see more fluctuation & dropouts on first screen. Channels which I can tune have SS of 88-90,28db on low side to 94-98,31db on high side. Channels that peaked at SS 35 or less are not tuned. No real difference between tuners 1 & 0. Since my antenna is at ground level, it's easy to experiment. Turning backside forward dropped weakest channel to SS 64-76 range; still clear. After 10 minutes SS dropped briefly to 55-60. There were horizontal tiling bands scattered across the screen. Same as what you're seeing?

You said nothing about your antenna setup or location. Gain is much better through antenna alone, not by adding amplifier. I made recommendations in recent post. Caveat is next year, there are 37 stations moving back to low VHF (2-6) including a few in northwest. UHF only unit won't cut it for them. Upper VHFs might be OK with elevated UHF unit; As WPVI (ABC Phila.) is returning to 6, I'll be pondering ugly directional rooftop monstrosity towards end of year. With any luck, you won't need the same.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #665
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vburnett53 View Post
EDITED ON 3/19/08: I am also having pixilation problems using the cable cards provided by Sudden Link. I am willing to try the solution above, but I am wondering to what the 8.17c update is referring. Is it to the cable card, the Tivo, ???
The "solution" was a TiVo software update...long since updated again...which addressed some serious issues people with Scientific Atlanta (SA) cable cards were having, particularly those with TiVo HD's.

If you're experiencing macroblocking/pixelization with FIOS you may want to explore the attenuation solutions referred to in this post and thread.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #666
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm52 View Post
Rich,

Though off topic...<snip>
With regard to Verizon's FIOS still being wet behind the ears, this post and a couple subsequent seem to indicate that they're still experimenting with their offering.

Live aboards are the only way to go (particularly if you want to drain your bank account quickly) and I can highly recommend Fiji for everything one straps 3,000 pounds of nitrox on their back to be able to see and experience in the dark depths of mother nature's wonders.

Don't get me started on oil and the U.S. dollar.

Okay...back OT.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #667
hmm52

GSOD question

Rich,

Thanks for reminding me to check other thread. I will, but haven't yet, read through all of it. I should contract with you to edit my posts as last one could simply have been "You need a better antenna." Have never done a live aboard because of thinking them low on the romantic quotient; was also near St. Maarten when a nasty accident took place on same between anchor line, propellor, and new divemaster in her 20's. Enough said. My gut feeling is that Verizon planned too few central offices for their network; may never have been an issue with Internet service alone, but is with TV.

I'm biding my time until replacement S3 arrives. TiVo uses mule train? Except for locals sporadically, all pixelation is on tuner 0, 639 &711-777MHz. Not above 800MHz though. Curious. In last few days: Intermittent low pitch groans were heard from the Antec case for several minutes (fan? hard drive?!); GSOD was also observed twice. This signals only internal drive problem, or either one? What were esb1981's words? "G*d help me." I'll let you know if I'm successful grafting Sony tuners onto the TiVo.

Heck
Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #668
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

Thanks for reminding me to check other thread. I will, but haven't yet, read through all of it. I should contract with you to edit my posts as last one could simply have been "You need a better antenna." Have never done a live aboard because of thinking them low on the romantic quotient; was also near St. Maarten when a nasty accident took place on same between anchor line, propellor, and new divemaster in her 20's. Enough said. My gut feeling is that Verizon planned too few central offices for their network; may never have been an issue with Internet service alone, but is with TV.

I'm biding my time until replacement S3 arrives. TiVo uses mule train? Except for locals sporadically, all pixelation is on tuner 0, 639 &711-777MHz. Not above 800MHz though. Curious. In last few days: Intermittent low pitch groans were heard from the Antec case for several minutes (fan? hard drive?!); GSOD was also observed twice. This signals only internal drive problem, or either one? What were esb1981's words? "G*d help me." I'll let you know if I'm successful grafting Sony tuners onto the TiVo.

Heck
GSOD is triggered by data corruption, which of course could occur on either the internal or external drive. "Groan" in the MX-1 doesn't sound good. Sounds more like the fan than the hard drive though...haven't heard one groan before, but there's always a first time.

When I lived in New Zealand it was a popular past time to swap Series1 NTSC tuners with PAL versions to make them work locally. You'd really be a charter TiVo Pioneer member if you could slip a couple Sony tuners inside an S3!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #669
mag249

Just as an update to my earlier thread on stuttering video, I installed a new HDD from Weaknees on Thursday and have had nary a problem since. Thanks for all the input as I went through my various alternatives.

MAG
mag249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #670
jgerry
save vinyl

Pixelation on my Tivo HD is back. But this time I caught it while it was happening and I'm even more annoyed.

I've been rebooting frequently (at least once a week) to compensate, as that seems to help some. But I started watching watching my CBS shows last night. 8:00-8:30 was pixelated, every 2-3 seconds. Totally unwatchable. 8:30-9:00, also pixelated. 9:00-9:30 was also pixelated, but it was only about 9:05.

So I went to live TV, and lo and behold, no pixelation. But I let the recording continue anyway while I watched live. The live picture was pristine the entire time. No dropouts or anything. Yet the recording was completely useless.

What does this tell me? That Tivo complaining about poor signal levels, bad cablecards, etc, is not true, at least in my case. The picture was perfect, yet my Tivo recorded it all stuttery. The problem seems to lie totally with Tivo, not with the cablecards, not with the signal level. This really disappoints me, because I know Tivo's going to want to replace my unit, giving me hassles, and then the problem won't get any better.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #671
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry View Post
Pixelation on my Tivo HD is back. But this time I caught it while it was happening and I'm even more annoyed.

I've been rebooting frequently (at least once a week) to compensate, as that seems to help some. But I started watching watching my CBS shows last night. 8:00-8:30 was pixelated, every 2-3 seconds. Totally unwatchable. 8:30-9:00, also pixelated. 9:00-9:30 was also pixelated, but it was only about 9:05.

So I went to live TV, and lo and behold, no pixelation. But I let the recording continue anyway while I watched live. The live picture was pristine the entire time. No dropouts or anything. Yet the recording was completely useless.

What does this tell me? That Tivo complaining about poor signal levels, bad cablecards, etc, is not true, at least in my case. The picture was perfect, yet my Tivo recorded it all stuttery. The problem seems to lie totally with Tivo, not with the cablecards, not with the signal level. This really disappoints me, because I know Tivo's going to want to replace my unit, giving me hassles, and then the problem won't get any better.
Sorry you're having to deal with all of that. How frustrating.

I agree there are issues with TiVo's handling of the signal, but IMO you can't discount the impact cable cards have as everything passes through them. What you're seeing is also typical of a failing hard drive as well. Add to that the fact that not all TiVo HD's (or Series3's, etc.) are experiencing the problems and the impact of localized issues becomes even more important.

If you haven't already, you could give TiVo's diagnostic programs called "kickstarts" a try. Another way to narrow things down would be to try OTA, removing cable and cable cards from the mix.

These same problems are being discussed on another thread and more often than not it's a failing hard drive. However more and more it looks like TiVo also has an I/O error correction issue, particularly with HD programming. (See recent posts here.) A number of folks there have had their problems resolved (replacement of their hard drives, cable cards, coax, splitters or TiVo itself) so I wouldn't give up hope. I'd certainly start with ensuring that everything local is as it should be but if all of that doesn't resolve things I'd be inclined make TiVo replace the box.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #672
jgerry
save vinyl

Rich -- thanks for the update and suggestions. I'll definitely do the kickstart thing today. As a matter of fact, I'll go run that right now when I'm done posting this.

As for the failing hard drive -- well, if that's what it is, it's been failing for 5 months.

I'm not averse to the idea of dealing with Tivo and seeing if they want to replace the unit. But it's a huge headache, as it takes Comcast about 4 weeks to get an appointment in my area, which I'll have to do to get them to authorize the card for the new unit. That's a loooong time without TV.

I can try and do OTA, but I tried briefly when I got the unit. I have tried 3 different antennas (all indoor) and had signal strength problems. A similar but different annoyance with the pixelation there.

It's just so frustrating. I spent 5 very happy, trouble-free years with my DirecTivo, then a miserable year with Comcast's DVR. I'm finally back to Tivo, but so far, it's hardly been worth it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #673
richsadams

I feel your pain...particularly with the POS Comcast Moto box!

If it's been doing the same thing for five months, there's certainly a problem and I'm guessing you've had Comcast out more than once to see if they can fix things. If so, I'd say the box itself is to blame. It's still possible that it's a hard drive issue...but that it hasn't deteriorated, just been bad all along.

You have a lot more patience than I do! Just know that they do work fine (ours has been flawless...knock on wood) and there is hope!

BTW, does it have two "S" cable cards or one "M" card? There have been several posts from people that initially had two "S" cards because their local cableco didn't have "M" cards at the time but when they had problems like yours, switched to an "M" card and everything was fine.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #674
jgerry
save vinyl

I'm running a single M card. It's the only cable card setup I've had. Yes they had to come out 5 times to get it working, but I never had any S cards.

I have tried the kickstart 57 but I am not sure it's working. I hold the pause button on the remote, but I never get JUST a yellow light. It comes on briefly with the red light (about a minute after reboot), green light is still on too. I hit 57 at that point (on the third reboot try) and it seems to have rebooted, but I just have a plain blue screen. Nothing else. I'm going to check it again right now.

EDIT: I think my blue screen is just an absence of video coming from the Tivo. I unplugged and replugged it again, it got past the first startup screen, then went to the blank (blue) screen again at about 1 minute in. Maybe it's doing its diagnostics now? I'm going to leave it alone for a while.

Last edited by jgerry : 03-25-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #675
richsadams

Hmmm. A blue screen isn't good. When KS57 runs you should see a GSOD screen.

I'd unplug it again, wait about 15 seconds and plug it back in. Hold the pause button down until you see the yellow light appear and stay steady (the other lights will be on as well). It will stay on for about 10 seconds. (TiVo may miss the command if you release the pause button too soon.) After you see a steady yellow light, then release the pause button and enter 5 - 7 on the remote's keypad.

That should cause it to reboot and the GSOD screen should then appear. Once the program has completed (a few minutes to several hours) it should then automatically reboot and go through the normal boot up process and screens. If not, post what you're seeing.

BTW, never interrupt TiVo (unplug it, etc.) while it's running a diagnostic. It can cause serious data corruption. If for some reason that happens all is not lost because you can re-image the hard drive with Instant Cake, but generally your recordings will be lost.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #676
jgerry
save vinyl

Crap. I never got a green screen at all. Not a good sign. I'm going to go try it again. Wow, if I broke my Tivo, that's going to suck worse than the pixelation! Great timing too, as I am off my latest work contract and have lots and lots of free time right now.

Instant Cake may not be an option either. It says they have no products for the Tivo HD. I'm sure there's some nefarious place I can download an image though.

EDIT: rebooted again, finally got the green screen. I'm letting that run now.

Rich: Thanks for all the advice. My fingers are crossed.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #677
jgerry
save vinyl

Diagnostics already done! Definitely not 3 hours. But TV is back. Let's hope all is OK.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #678
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry View Post
Diagnostics already done! Definitely not 3 hours. But TV is back. Let's hope all is OK.
Fingers still crossed.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #679
vectorzulu

My Pixelation Story

I am seeing pixelation on my TivoHD. I am in Houston, TX on Comcast cable. I use one M-Card. I have a few observations.

1. I only see major pixelation on my local HD channels (over the cable).
2. Pixelation only appears when the outside temperature rises above the mid 70's. Seeing that spring is here and summer is approaching I imagine that this problem will get worse.

I purchased some inline attenuators as well as a tilt compensator. Using a combination of both I am able to dramatically reduce the amount of pixelation. The only problem is that my lower channels (analog) are now quite grainy.

I am torn between purchasing a amp and calling my cable company to complain/fix the issue. I imagine they will blame the problem on the Tivo. I can see them hooking up their HD cable box to my TV and the picture being unaffected.

My guess is that since cable attenuation increases with temperature it is causing noise to get injected into the signal. I bet if they would just balance their amps the problem would go away. What I don't understand is why giving the Tivo a lower signal to noise ratio (SNR) makes the problem go away. In the real world a higher SNR is always better.
vectorzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #680
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorzulu View Post
I am seeing pixelation on my TivoHD. I am in Houston, TX on Comcast cable. I use one M-Card. I have a few observations.

1. I only see major pixelation on my local HD channels (over the cable).
2. Pixelation only appears when the outside temperature rises above the mid 70's. Seeing that spring is here and summer is approaching I imagine that this problem will get worse.

I purchased some inline attenuators as well as a tilt compensator. Using a combination of both I am able to dramatically reduce the amount of pixelation. The only problem is that my lower channels (analog) are now quite grainy.

I am torn between purchasing a amp and calling my cable company to complain/fix the issue. I imagine they will blame the problem on the Tivo. I can see them hooking up their HD cable box to my TV and the picture being unaffected.

My guess is that since cable attenuation increases with temperature it is causing noise to get injected into the signal. I bet if they would just balance their amps the problem would go away. What I don't understand is why giving the Tivo a lower signal to noise ratio (SNR) makes the problem go away. In the real world a higher SNR is always better.
Nothing is absolute.... Higher SNR generally means better but other factors may contradict that. It would help if you posted your SNR's and Signal Strengths as well as RS Uncorrected and Corrected 'rates' (how many in say 15 mins).
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #681
vectorzulu

From memory, which is fuzzy at times :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Nothing is absolute.... Higher SNR generally means better but other factors may contradict that. It would help if you posted your SNR's and Signal Strengths as well as RS Uncorrected and Corrected 'rates' (how many in say 15 mins).
Well from memory using no attenuation my signal strength (on a problem channel) would be about 90-100 and a SNR around mid 30's. My RS Uncorrected and Corrected would be counting up like crazy(1000's). After adding attenuation it drops the signal str. to a range between 50-60 and a SNR around low the 30's. RS Un slow to almost none and correct increases but at a much slower rate.

I will have to get more exact #'s tonight.

Last edited by vectorzulu : 03-27-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #682
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Well from memory using no attenuation my signal strength (on a problem channel) would be about 90-100 and a SNR around mid 30's. My RS Uncorrected and Corrected would be counting up like crazy(1000's). After adding attenuation it drops the signal str. to a range between 50-60 and a SNR around low the 30's. RS Un slow to almost none and correct increases but at a much slower rate.

I will have to get more exact #'s tonight.
Who is your cable provider?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #683
vectorzulu

Comcast in Houston, TX
Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #684
vectorzulu

Updated info

I am using a 6db inline attenuator as well as a 12db tilt compensator (12db at the low end, 1db at the high).

This data was collected over about a 3 minute period:

Channel 311 (Local CBS HD) (Tuner 0)
Sig Str 56-68
SNR 31-32
RS Uncorrected 802
RS Corrected 33510

Channel 312 (Local NBC HD) (Tuner 1)
Sig Str 68-75
SNR 32-33
RS Uncorrected 0
RS Corrected 0

Using this config I get no serious pixelation on either channel. If I take out the attenuation pixelation comes back with a vengeance.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #685
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I am using a 6db inline attenuator as well as a 12db tilt compensator (12db at the low end, 1db at the high).

This data was collected over about a 3 minute period:

Channel 311 (Local CBS HD) (Tuner 0)
Sig Str 56-68
SNR 31-32
RS Uncorrected 802
RS Corrected 33510

Channel 312 (Local NBC HD) (Tuner 1)
Sig Str 68-75
SNR 32-33
RS Uncorrected 0
RS Corrected 0

Using this config I get no serious pixelation on either channel. If I take out the attenuation pixelation comes back with a vengeance.
Do you have a 3db attenuator you could substitute for the 6? What if you remove the 6 altogether?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #686
vectorzulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Do you have a 3db attenuator you could substitute for the 6? What if you remove the 6 altogether?
Yes I do, but decreasing it below 6 seems to make a big difference. I might try to remove the tilt comp. and add a bit more inline attenuation.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #687
vburnett53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vburnett53 View Post
I have more information. The cable cards are Motorola, and I've tried the attentuators on the coax and nothing has helped. I have had the cable guys here 7 times - they say it the Tivo. I called Tivo support and they say it's the cable. I'm ready to just give up. And I bought my first Tivo in 1999 - do you have any other suggestions?
vburnett53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #688
hmm52

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hmmm. A blue screen isn't good.
How about a welcome screen that repeats over and over? Yes, the replacement S3 finally arrived. Its boot sector wants more rides on UPS trucks apparently. On the plus side, the original unit has had fewer issues recently - narrowed to some channels on 771 & 777MHz mostly on tuner 0; plus a few others. I guess Verizon is tinkering with their signal.

Recent calls to VZ didn't go well. The card in the Toshiba fell asleep over the weekend - nothing except analogs & local digitals tuned. Two phone reps were unable to wake it up. No prior experience was obvious. Tech scheduled for Monday AM - a typically quick response. No show. My call confirmed that service visit never got into the system. But worse. Since there is a dire shortage of techs in PA, VZ cannot even take my request for service until Thursday. Don't call before then. Is this an ultra end restaurant? Growing pains extreme.

A new replacement was authorized as first call to TiVo was 4 days after purchase. Same issue since then. I still have some thought however that refurbished unit might be better choice as it should be checked out thoroughly; & possibly upgraded. Who knows...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #689
richsadams

Quote:
How about a welcome screen that repeats over and over? Yes, the replacement S3 finally arrived. Its boot sector wants more rides on UPS trucks apparently.
Grrrrrr. How utterly frustrating!

Did you happen to try booting it up w/o cable cards installed and/or coax connected? Just curious.

Best of luck and thanks for updating.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #690
hmm52

Attempts were made to boot it w/o cards but with both RFs connected. It just cycled welcome to black to welcome to black... - no indication of "just a few minutes more..." I'm open to trying something as I think the RMA is good for 10 days. What do you suggest?

Thanks much for the sympathy. I'm not as frustrated as you might expect. Original unit is behaving better right now and it remains an open case with TiVo. More concerned about Verizon actually. By far the two best techs I've encountered to date were shipped west some time ago. Service by phone and in my area seems stretched pretty thin at this point. However you should be impressed with them when your install goes through. VZ puts their best people in new areas to instruct trainees and supervise new installations. It generates good word of mouth recommendations also.

Hk