TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #511
jaquade

Tiling Issue Resolved with Cox in Las Vegas

Thanks to this board I was able to resolve my tiling issue with the help of Cox. As I stated a couple posts back I was getting tiling on certain channels with a Tivo HD Signal Strength in the 48 range. Cox Tech came out and measured the signal and change my splitter to a "balanced" splitter and now have signal
strength around 88. No tiling.... so I would look to signal strength and the type of rating of the splitter being used. Thanks for the help.
jaquade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #512
tjohnson

Series 2 Pixelation Problem

Hi All,

I've been having this problem for some time with one of my two Series 2 Tivos. I know I'm posting on Series 3 topic but can't find a better place to post so I'll try it here.

Similar to the problems many describe, I'm having pixelation issues with audio dropout. I've upgraded hard drive...no difference. Connect direct from cable box bypassing Tivo...no problems, so it's not signal strength (I also installed a signal booster just to be sure).

I just can't find information on what could be affecting my Series 2. Any ideas?

Thanks
tjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #513
jordanfrank

re: Tivo HD Pixelation Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I understand your frustration, but thousands of people with TiVo HD and Cox do not have your problems; what is it that makes your situation different from their's?

There's at least half a dozen people in Rhode Island here who have Cox, and presumably do not have your problems (Search the forum for "Rhode"). Have you checked with them?
With respect to COX, I am sure some cox + tivo HD customers are fine. But I am seeing three who recently commented on this thread who are having problems.

I'd love to find someone in my area that has TiVO HD and Cox cable. I can't find any friends who have the combination. I am in Providence which I think is in the Warwick Cox area network. If anyone out there in Providence Rhode Island is doing just fine with TiVO HD and Cox cable -- please let me know.

Quote:
Have you tried attenuation? Cable techs often don't check well for too strong of a signal, but that poses much more of a problem for a TiVo than a typical cable company DVR.
I am skeptical of the attenuation approach for three reasons:

1. The cable guys did test to ensure the signal was in the right range. They cant leave the house unless its in the right range.

2. The TiVO support guy couldnt tell me what attenuator to purchase.

3. User ESB1981 tried an attenuator for this problem and only got limited relief: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...86#post5871386
jordanfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #514
Michael1025

Update:

I had Comcast out today and we swapped out my Series 3 Tivo for a replacement unit from Tivo. I've had crystal clear HD on my two problem channels all day, which is great.

I notice that the replacement unit is running the 8.0 software (my old one was running 9.2). So...I wonder if I had a bad tuner, or if this is software related. I would imagine that I'm going to get pushed the new update sooner or later...so I guess we'll find out.
Michael1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #515
Rose4uKY

I am not a 100% sure yet but mine had to do with signal also I think. And I was using a splitter that my cable company gave me and an old coaxial I found laying around to split mine up to use my PIP. But I would check strength from the Tivo and it was like 72 and I had a 40 something. In the beginning it was high 90's but may have been on an HD channel but Tivo is the one who said if you signal is that high you can use the splitter. But IO was previuosly told not to use it that the cable had to go into the back of the THD. That is why I was wondering Is the signal different on all channels or different on lets say Analog verses Digital or HD? Cause one channel said 72 one said 40 I think.

I took away my splitter and put the good coaxial cable right into the Tivo. Last time my cable company came out to do my bedroom they had did something to my coaxials and put some tip on them for signal he said mine were old and there is some blue tip on them now. But I did this on Saturday but so far I haven't seen any pixelation but It's too soon to tell really. I'll wait it out till the end of the week. But I haven't checked my signal strength since removing the splitter.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 01-21-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #516
esb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
That is why I was wondering Is the signal different on all channels or different on lets say Analog verses Digital or HD? Cause one channel said 72 one said 40 I think.
Signal strength can vary by the frequency the channel is on. In general, lower frequencies tend to be stronger and higher ones weaker. For digital channels, the number of the channel does not correspond to the frequency of the channel. For instance, I have channel 712 coming in at frequency 663 MHz, and channel 748 coming in at frequency 465 MHz. The channel I have coming it at 861 MHz is the weakest signal strength, at around 51. Analog channels are generall on the lowest frequencies (usually below 500 MHz).
esb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #517
Rose4uKY

Oh really so when you check your signal through the Tivo you also see the MHz number also plus the strenth like 70 or 90? Sorry that confuses me. I just know my friend told me to record my daily soaps on the HD channel #908 instead analog #4 ABC even though there not in HD it's still a better picture so I do that but I didn't really understand the frequency stuff. One time I was in the test signal and punched in channel #127 and it showed me a different channel. But I understand a little better now from your post. Thanks, I just hope my pixelation problem is gone.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #518
esb1981

If you go to the diagnostics screen (tivo central, messages/settings, account/system info, diagnostics), for digital channels it will tell you the following:

- Signal strength on a level of 1-100 (should be above 60)
- Frequency that the channel is broadcast on
- SNR (signal to noise ratio - should be between 31-36)
- RS Corrected errors (should be low, but these errors do NOT affect your picture)
- RS Uncorrected errors (every error represents a picture/sound problem) since you tuned to the channel.

I'm not sure about analog channels since I don't get any, but it probably won't show much, if any of those diagnostics.

Last edited by esb1981 : 01-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #519
Rose4uKY

Ok thanks a lot I'll do that. I don't watch any analog channels even though I get 2-99 plus all my digital but thanks. Everything on my analog is on digital so I watch digital always. Thanks Again, Rose

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #520
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

OK,
I am having a hell of a time with Fox in Middle TN. on Charter.
My stats are:
Tuner 1 is on the channel in question:
Signal: 100
SNR: 36 dB
RS Uncorrected: 0
RS Corrected: 0

That is in 700 seconds.
I am getting pixelation with sound drops every at least once per minute and the two RS numbers are not changing to match this. I have seen two since I first typed in these numbers and they have not change. So I do not believe that they can be pegged directly to on screen events. Unless the glitches are on the source feed to my local provider?

In any case I am PO'd because my recording of Terminator SCC's is completely worthless. There are no sound drops on the analog SD channel at all.

Edit: I am getting the same signal drops and pixelation on my Cable Card equipped TV. I so rarely use it (built-in tuner) that I forget that I have it as a troubleshooting aid. I think I am seeing the channel as it is being broadcast from the local franchise.
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma

Last edited by CheezWiz : 01-21-2008 at 10:26 PM.
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #521
jordanfrank

Update on my issue with pixellation on Cox Cable in RI with the Series3 HD unit. Since the TiVO tech's last breath was to try an attenuator and it helped (but didnt fix) ESB1981's problem, I thought I'd give it a shot. No sale. I tried with 6, 12 and 18 db attenuators. But it did not fix the problem on the problem channels (which are generally 717Mhz channels). And it reduced the reported signal received on the other otherwise stellar HD Channels.

I noticed in the process when I was turned recording on CNN HD that the screen pixellated on and off when the TiVO was starting the recording process. Since this particular pixellation issue is happening independent of the otherwise constant / good signal - I expect that there are I/O issues on the TiVO that make it vulnerable to pixellation which its spinning up disks / moving data around.
jordanfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #522
brown_squirrel

Gotta be the Cards

I just got my Series 3 HD up and running and I was fortunate enough to get a single multistream (M) card installed and I haven't noticed any real pixelation issues. I have noticed some "tracking" issues...pixel bands where there is a lot of motion..but I suspect that is the cable transmission at the time and my TV (1080p LCD, not Plasma). So I gotta guess the 2 Single Stream card setup is the big culprit.

I just read this on Tivo's support page:
The TiVo Series3 HD DVR will require two (2) M-CARDs or S-CARDs. All major cable companies are mandated be federal law to provide CableCARDs to their digital cable subscribers. Some cable companies offer CableCARDs for free and others may charge a small monthly fee.

I know for a fact I just have 1 multi-stream card. Is that bad?
brown_squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #523
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_squirrel View Post
I just read this on Tivo's support page:
The TiVo Series3 HD DVR will require two (2) M-CARDs or S-CARDs. All major cable companies are mandated be federal law to provide CableCARDs to their digital cable subscribers. Some cable companies offer CableCARDs for free and others may charge a small monthly fee.

I know for a fact I just have 1 multi-stream card. Is that bad?
Welcome to the forum!

The statement is referring to the "original" TiVo Series3. The one I think you're referring to is commonly known as the TiVo HD.

The TiVo Series3 currently requires two "S" or two "M" cards for dual tuner functionality. The TiVo HD can utilize one "M" card or two "S" cards.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-24-2008 at 02:48 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #524
esb1981

I had Cox out again today because I have 2 channels that stopped coming in. They couldn't fix that problem, of course. I also told the tech about my pixelation/tiling issues, and he replaced the coax running through the basement. Did not solve the problem. I told him I think there must be interference on the line and asked him to check that with a QAM Analyzer - he gave me a blank stare, and explained that the only way to check interference is with some kind of a "spectrum analyzer," which he did not have. All he could do was check signal strength. What a joke. I am ready to give up. I have until Thursday to return the Tivo box, maybe I"ll just bite the bullet and do that and go back to Cox's crappy DVR so at least I can watch ESPN2 again.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #525
westtown73

Diurnal Signal Dropout

I have a Tivo HD and have signal problems from Comcast in Montgomery County Maryland. The strange thing is that it only drops down during the middle part of the day, both on weekends and weekdays. When that happens I lose 2 channels completely and get tiling on a few others. Anyone have any idea what could cause that? Heating of the box on the street by the sun? Anyway, I've scheduled Comcast to come out between 11AM and 2PM so I'm crossing my fingers the problem is present when they show up.
westtown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #526
quick

Pixeliation issues on HD Channels (mainly CNNHD)

I have tried everything except break open my TivoHD to try to get rid of this pixelation problem on the HD channels.

If i check the signal strength, its fine, i have swapped cables and splitters every which possible, its 100% not a signal strength issue (too high or too low signal)

I have a single M-Card from Comcast in Houston, which has been working fine for at least 3-4 months, all of a sudden CNNHD won't stop giving me pixelation, it's also intermittent, some days its fine, some days its horrible and its not always this channel, other HD channels will do it too, some times the signal strength will bounce from 80s to 60s when its doing it but the levels are actually tested good, and it will do it even when the strength is 94-100!

Even right now it is pixelating like crazy, and i just checked the signal meter and its 97 and it won't do any pixelation when im running the signal meter, WTF?!

It's either the cable card, or the TivoHD unit, anyone have some suggestions?

Is it possible to power off the Tivo and take out the M-card and reseat it and then power it back on or will that cause problems?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #527
esb1981

quick - when it pixelates and you go to the diagnostics are the Uncorrected errors increasing when the signal level fluctuates? That's what happens on mine. Signal will be strong, all the sudden I get pixelation and the signal level fluctuates while the uncorrected errors spike. If uncorrected errors are not spiking then the problem is in the broadcast.

It sounds like these problems are getting very common and no one has a solution.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #528
quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post
quick - when it pixelates and you go to the diagnostics are the Uncorrected errors increasing when the signal level fluctuates? That's what happens on mine. Signal will be strong, all the sudden I get pixelation and the signal level fluctuates while the uncorrected errors spike. If uncorrected errors are not spiking then the problem is in the broadcast.

It sounds like these problems are getting very common and no one has a solution.
Checked the diagnostics and yes shows uncorrected going up as the signal fluctuates from 60's to 100...

Is it worth swapping my TivoHD (won't cost me) and getting a new cable card or is that just asking for more headaches, ie. cable card setup annoyances etc...

What does Tivo tech support say about this issue? Let me guess, its the cable card, go get a new one?

EDIT: Called Tivo tech support, they said change the card and call back see if it fixed the problem...

Last edited by quick : 01-30-2008 at 09:34 AM.
quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #529
esb1981

I've tried everything (with the help of 5 Cox visits). I've had 6 different cable cards in there, boosted the signal, attenuated the signal, checked connections, replaced coax, terminated the antenna input, and tried a signal equalizer. Today I am finally going to swap out my box. I would recommend trying that if nothing else has worked. It's my last resort.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #530
richsadams

Quote:
I've tried everything (with the help of 5 Cox visits). I've had 6 different cable cards in there, boosted the signal, attenuated the signal, checked connections, replaced coax, terminated the antenna input, and tried a signal equalizer. Today I am finally going to swap out my box. I would recommend trying that if nothing else has worked. It's my last resort.
Yikes! I think you (and a few others here) get this month's TiVo Most Patience Award! If you've done all of that I agree...time to replace the box. Honestly I think I would have done that sooner...but then...I have no patience.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #531
quick

Quote:
I will try that after replacing the M-card, if that doesn't work...

Last night I was watching tv and something was recording, and all of a sudden I got a message screen that said "there is a problem with your cable card displaying your cable channels" All the channels were black/no signal

I had to restart the box to get the channels working again. I'm hoping this cable is the problem because replacing the tivo is very time consuming.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #532
slyone

so what's been going on here...has anyone tried their box replacements yet? wondering the outcome?
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #533
slyone

Quote:
If you go to the diagnostics screen (tivo central, messages/settings, account/system info, diagnostics), for digital channels it will tell you the following:

- Signal strength on a level of 1-100 (should be above 60)
- Frequency that the channel is broadcast on
- SNR (signal to noise ratio - should be between 31-36)
- RS Corrected errors (should be low, but these errors do NOT affect your picture)
- RS Uncorrected errors (every error represents a picture/sound problem) since you tuned to the channel.
Mine says signal strength- 42
lock- yes
SNR-28dB
RS Uncorrected- 112
RS corrected- 934000-1050000 keeps climbing? what's all this mean anyways??

Last edited by slyone : 02-02-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #534
quick

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone View Post
so what's been going on here...has anyone tried their box replacements yet? wondering the outcome?
I replaced my M-Card yesterday, and the problem since I installed it yesterday is gone.

So, so far for me replacing the M-Card on my TivoHD fixed the pixelation problem I was having on the HD channels.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #535
quick

Quote:
Mine says signal strength- 42
lock- yes
SNR-28dB
RS Uncorrected- 112
RS corrected- 934000-1050000 keeps climbing? what's all this mean anyways??
Signal strength 42??

That's way too low anything below 85 I think is too low IMO... are all the channels at or around 42?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #536
slyone

That 42 was a HD channel...I'll have to check other ones today but it just seemed like any sports on HD is terrible! I figured may be it's the camera mans' fault or cause HD is much more sensitive causing the shake..what do you call a jagged movement..not at all smooth????

p.s. I think I probably got to many splitters! I found 1 source that "splits" then it feeds 2 places 1 of which goes to a amplifier which then feeds a 4 way splitter..1 of which goes to my HD unit.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #537
quick

Quote:
That 42 was a HD channel...I'll have to check other ones today but it just seemed like any sports on HD is terrible! I figured may be it's the camera mans' fault or cause HD is much more sensitive causing the shake..what do you call a jagged movement..not at all smooth????

p.s. I think I probably got to many splitters! I found 1 source that "splits" then it feeds 2 places 1 of which goes to a amplifier which then feeds a 4 way splitter..1 of which goes to my HD unit.
I would assume all your picture quality issues are down to the low signal strength...

Make sure all the runs from your main line are RG6 cable and not RG59, remove splitters where not absolutely necessary (ie a room is not in use with a tv, remove the split for this location) might require you to go into your attic or what ever... I would definitely make sure you get your signal strength up to high 80's or 90's at least before troubleshooting anything else.

I'm no cable expert, but that's should be your best bet to fix any problems you are having with pixelation or picture stuttering on any hd channels.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #538
esb1981

Got my new Tivo box, still pixelation on two channels. Cox came out AGAIN and could not fix the problem. Also, got two new cable cards (my 5th and 6th in the last week), and not only does the pixelation continue but I have 4 HD channels that have been out for 2 weeks, and Cox cannot figure out the problem and neither can Tivo. It's all a lot of BS. Cox sent out their "lead tech" yesterday and he had no answers. He also said he was going to find out from someone else who has 2 Tivo's with CC's if they have the same 4 channels out, but of course he has not called me back.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #539
slyone

That built in Diagnostics feature seems kinda nice for a real novice such as myself! It seems all my channels are coming in at between 93-100% signal strength except for channel 1030(TW)frequency says 741000KHz
connector type-RF2
This one seems bad though the blocky/jittery video I've seen is most apparent on Live sporting events usually on channel 1007 WUHFHD frequency-579000...which gets 93-100% signal.
I figured the sporting may be due to the type of camera's/feeds right from the Live Event.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #540
westtown73

My problem was solved by replacing the cable going to the THD. The signal strength on the problem channels fluctuated from 0 to no higher than about 60. I put in a call to Comcast. They measured the signal at the bad frequencies at the house and found it was okay. He said they look at the SNR and need to have a value greater than 32. Anyway, he created a cable to replace the Monster Video Mini and the signal strength jumped up to 87 and the SNR is stable 34 or 35. I've had a few brief hits of small tiling since the new cable was put in place but if I wasn't looking for it, Iwouldn't have noticed it.
westtown73 is offline   Reply With Quote