TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
hitmanct13

Yellow Input on Series 3

At work the feed I use right now goes into my vcr through a yellow input and then the output to the tv. I see the Series 3 does not have any A/V INPUTS. Is there any way to work around this with the Series 3? Maybe an adapter or something?

hitmanct13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Nope, only input is the coax.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanct13 View Post
At work the feed I use right now goes into my vcr through a yellow input and then the output to the tv. I see the Series 3 does not have any A/V INPUTS. Is there any way to work around this with the Series 3? Maybe an adapter or something?
That thing with the yellow insulator on the back of the VCR is an RCA jack (and so are the red and white ones and any you see anywhere of any color). At one time they were known as phono (as in phonograph) jacks (and the plugs are/were called phono plugs).

The standard which has evolved is that a yellow one is used for what's caled composite video, white for left channel audio, and red for right channel audio.

You already have an adapter--that VCR.

It should have two threaded nipple things on the back (called F connectors)--one of which is where you plug in the antenna or cable TV feed to get it to the VCR's tuner, and the other of which was originally intended to be used as output to older televisions that only had one of those things as input to the tuner and no RCA jacks for auxillary inputs.

Somewhere on the back of the VCR should be a slide switch that you set to (channel) 3 or 4, and you tune the television to channel 3 or 4 and do your channel changing on the VCR from then on out.

Use the VCR as the target for the feed the way you're doing now.

Connect a piece of co-ax from that VCR output to the S3's cable or antenna input and tune the TiVo to channel 3 or 4.

You may have to experiment a bit on that last part--because of the way the
TiVo expects to work with guide data for the media market in which it is used, you need to make it think that there's an older style analog broadcast on 3 or 4 or an analog cable channel on 3 or 4.

If you haven't gone through Guided Setup and still have the old channel data from the previous owner you might want to leave that in place if there was a channel 3 or 4 in their area--note, not a channel 3.1 or 4.1, if it's looking for that it expects the newer digital over the air signal, which the VCR doesn't deliver.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
shwru980r

I think you would need to initiate a channel scan from settings - channels while the vcr is connected to the S3 and powered on, for the S3 to recognize the channel 3 or 4 that was selected on the vcr.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote