TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #181
aaronwt
HD Addict

Did they red flag your box like they said they did mine after I upgraded the drive? I had to exchange it for another unit that hadn't been upgraded just to get them to talk about the mono from analog channel problem the TiVoHD has. Of course they probably still haven't figured out the difference between a mono signal and a stereo signal.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #182
drew00001

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneSi
<Scratches head> Increase in menu speed? I've replaced my drive, and although it wasn't with a DB35 drive or anything made for DVR's specifically...

For the record, it has been my experience that with my 4 TiVo's I have normal WD drives that work just fine with heat and everything but the s2's are noisy, the TiVo HD with the 750gb WD drive is SILENT). Tivo HD tells me that my temps are 'normal'
I actually upgraded an S3, which shouldn't matter. In any case, maybe the increased speed means my original drive was dying. Pre-upgrade, the menus did not seem excessively slow, but my screen had been freezing with increased frequency.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #183
drew00001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Did they red flag your box like they said they did mine after I upgraded the drive? I had to exchange it for another unit that hadn't been upgraded just to get them to talk about the mono from analog channel problem the TiVoHD has. Of course they probably still haven't figured out the difference between a mono signal and a stereo signal.
huh?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #184
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001
huh?
When you change the hard drive they know it. The info is sent to them. They know you don't have the original capacity. They told me since I had opened up my unit that they couldn't do anything about the mono sound from the analog channel problem. SO of course I exchange it for a virgin box and they still can't figure out what the difference between mono and stereo.
They had offered to exchange my box for a $100+ fee since I opened it. I took it back to CC and exchanged it there and got rid a of perfectly good box because they don't seem to know what they are doing. At least that's what it seems like from my conversations with them.
And then one of them made the crack about the TiVoHD not being THX certified so what do you expect. My conversations with them have really pissed me off and come across as them being incompetent.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #185
rainwater

Quote:
When you change the hard drive they know it. The info is sent to them. They know you don't have the original capacity. They told me since I had opened up my unit that they couldn't do anything about the mono sound from the analog channel problem. SO of course I exchange it for a virgin box and they still can't figure out what the difference between mono and stereo.
They had offered to exchange my box for a $100+ fee since I opened it. I took it back to CC and exchanged it there and got rid a of perfectly good box because they don't seem to know what they are doing. At least that's what it seems like from my conversations with them.
And then one of them made the crack about the TiVoHD not being THX certified so what do you expect. My conversations with them have really pissed me off and come across as them being incompetent.
This is why you keep the original drive. Just put it in, make a connection, and all will be well.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #186
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
This is why you keep the original drive. Just put it in, make a connection, and all will be well.
Once you replace the drive they already have the data that shows the storage capacity has changed. I keep all my original drives. I put it back in when I exchanged it at Circuit City. But my second TiVoHD is finicky if it gets too strong a signal for the analog channels. The first one had no problem with my signal strength. I had to attenuate the cable signal so it wouldn't have problems with the analog channels. Which is a separate problem from the mono output from the analog channels. If I have the pixelation problem when I connect FIOS I will take it back for another exchange from CC. I got the 4 year extended warranty from them for around $50 and I plan to use it if I need to.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #187
drew00001

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. My box is an S3, and I haven't called TiVO since I purchased such 1 year ago. (knock on wood).
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #188
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
Yes I currently have 4 500GB sata -> hardware RAID 0 -> to single sata connector out.

It's noisy, bulky and only good for experimenting.
Spike,

Just to confirm, you're running the connecting up to the Internal SATA connector.

You say it's noisy, is that because seeks or just plan noisy and is this being done with acoustic management to limit the seek noise?

Have you found this to be reliable?

What enclosure are you using?

Have you tried Supersize w/ a RAID setup?

Are you going to post these details on the Mfslive website?

CCourtney
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #189
normychas

dont know about details but screenshots of spikes 2.5 terabyte setup are on mfslive. I am purely curious from a how is it done stand point as i am not going to go out and snag another 2 terabytes of data on my budget. Very cool stuff though
normychas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #190
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCourtney
You say it's noisy, is that because seeks or just plan noisy and is this being done with acoustic management to limit the seek noise?
Those type of enclosures are just plain noisy mainly because of very noisy fans that are usually tied to an RPM sensing alarm that makes it difficult to modify the fan noise. Additionally, you now have four drives instead of one. That doesn't make it 4 times as loud but it does contribute to the total. Most manufacturers assume such devices are going to be used in a commercial environment not your living room so the designers don't really appreciate home theater use.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #191
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Have you found this to be reliable?
When any one of those four drives dies, you have a dead TiVo.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #192
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by normychas
dont know about details but screenshots of spikes 2.5 terabyte setup are on mfslive. I am purely curious from a how is it done stand point as i am not going to go out and snag another 2 terabytes of data on my budget. Very cool stuff though
The screenshots w/ the 2 and 2.5 TB appear to be w/o supersize when looking at the numbers. I'd like to know if he's tried it w/ supersize on a RAID 0 setup yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Those type of enclosures are just plain noisy mainly because of very noisy fans that are usually tied to an RPM sensing alarm that makes it difficult to modify the fan noise. Additionally, you now have four drives instead of one. That doesn't make it 4 times as loud but it does contribute to the total. Most manufacturers assume such devices are going to be used in a commercial environment not your living room so the designers don't really appreciate home theater use.
Yes, I know but I want to know if his comments were because of the enclosure and fan (which I can modify) or it's because of the drives even w/ AAM usage. This is a valuable point to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
When any one of those four drives dies, you have a dead TiVo.
Of course, if one of the drives dies then you've lost your HDD setup. I wouldn't call that a dead TiVo but lost data. I'd slap the original 160GB back in and be back up in a matter of minutes.

That said, that is not the only point of failure in such a system. The RAID controller is built into the enclosure and can be a point of failure, random data corruption pr failure of the RAID controller itself.

I've had a few dozen drives over the years w/ heavy usage and have only had one laptop drive fail and one desktop drive fail on me (both work computers that were backed up nightly thankfully - both drives known to have had issues in the industry) but I have had controllers fail on me (going back to my 286 days when the IDE controller was an ISA card) including one in my laptop, and two desktop motherboards as well as the ISA card mentioned.

I've had 3 DVR drives in continuous operation for the past several years w/o issue as well. So I'm not too worried about HDD failure but I am worried about the RAID controller.

CCourtney
Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #193
spike2k5

Quote:
The screenshots w/ the 2 and 2.5 TB appear to be w/o supersize when looking at the numbers. I'd like to know if he's tried it w/ supersize on a RAID 0 setup yet.
No I have not.

Quote:
Yes, I know but I want to know if his comments were because of the enclosure and fan (which I can modify) or it's because of the drives even w/ AAM usage. This is a valuable point to me.
Drives are quiet w/ AAM set to 128 but fans are loud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #194
icatar

I dont have any SATA ports on my PC. Has anyone used a SATA to USB cable such as this one to connect the Tivo HDD?

Thanks in advance!
icatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #195
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatar
I dont have any SATA ports on my PC. Has anyone used a SATA to USB cable such as this one to connect the Tivo HDD?

Thanks in advance!
Yes. Check newegg.com. It's lot cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #196
danator

I have the Seagate 750gb Db35 coming for internal drive upgrade (original 250GB), i have question for anyone with similar situation.

I read 2 opinions on you may or may not lost Cablecard pairing information. For those who has done it. Using disk copy, did you lose prior pairing information or everything went smooth. ?? I'll be using WinMFS and CC are coming from TWC.

Thanks
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #197
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator
I have the Seagate 750gb Db35 coming for internal drive upgrade (original 250GB), i have question for anyone with similar situation.

I read 2 opinions on you may or may not lost Cablecard pairing information. For those who has done it. Using disk copy, did you lose prior pairing information or everything went smooth. ?? I'll be using WinMFS and CC are coming from TWC.

Thanks
When I took a working Tivo with the original 250 and used the Bumwine method to upgrade to a 500G Seagate, I did NOT lose the pairing information. YMMV.

However, I saved the 250 and about 6 months later got a 1G Hitachi and again Bumwined from the 250, upon replacing the 500 in the tivo with the 1G, I DID lose pairing.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #198
danator

Interesting,

Pairing worked for whatever existing current drive you have now but not with previous disk. That included original. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
When I took a working Tivo with the original 250 and used the Bumwine method to upgrade to a 500G Seagate, I did NOT lose the pairing information. YMMV.

However, I saved the 250 and about 6 months later got a 1G Hitachi and again Bumwined from the 250, upon replacing the 500 in the tivo with the 1G, I DID lose pairing.

danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #199
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator

Thanks
If you do a disc copy you should not lose pairing or any other info. I certainly didn't when I upgraded the internal drive to 500GB.
jmpage2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #200
gespears

Cheap eSATA hard drive

Hey guys and gals, I found this deal:

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t129410.html

It's the calvary 750 gig eSATA enclosure. I called Calvary's tech support and they said it's a WD drive with 16 meg and 3 gig transfer rate. I paid 188 shipped for it and am going to remove the 750 and put it in my Tivo HD and take the 500 from the Tivo HD and put it in this enclosure. I don't think the deal will last long though so act quick.

Gary
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #201
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears

It's the calvary 750 gig eSATA enclosure. I called Calvary's tech support and they said it's a WD drive with 16 meg and 3 gig transfer rate. I paid 188 shipped for it and am going to remove the 750 and put it in my Tivo HD and take the 500 from the Tivo HD and put it in this enclosure. I don't think the deal will last long though so act quick.

Gary
In my experience you can never be 100% sure of what drive you are going to get in an external enclosure. Manufacturers usually reserve the right to make substitutions, etc.

You can order the 750GB WD drive from several retailers for $188 as a bare drive.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #202
cr33p

I was at BB today and they have the 1TB Hitachi enclosure on sale for 299.00
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #203
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
In my experience you can never be 100% sure of what drive you are going to get in an external enclosure. Manufacturers usually reserve the right to make substitutions, etc.

You can order the 750GB WD drive from several retailers for $188 as a bare drive.
Well he SAID they were ALL WD but you know how that goes. As for the 188 for the bare drive, then I wouldn't get the enclosure with the cool eSATA function! ;->

If it turns out to be some other drive. I'll return it immediately. I don't trust any other brand to run 24/7.
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #204
Warhawks

Hi,

Just purchased my Tivo HD tonight, with my Charter guy coming to my house on Friday to put the cards in. I plan on hooking it up on Wednesday to do updates...what is the most current software update that I should be looking for to know I have it all good to go before Friday night when Charter comes?

Thanks!
Warhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #205
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawks
Hi,

Just purchased my Tivo HD tonight, with my Charter guy coming to my house on Friday to put the cards in. I plan on hooking it up on Wednesday to do updates...what is the most current software update that I should be looking for to know I have it all good to go before Friday night when Charter comes?

Thanks!
The Tivo updates automatically, you don't need to do anything. You can force a software update by going in and forcing a connection.

Oh ya, this thread is about upgrading the hard drive in the Tivo, you might get more responses if you put this question in its own thread or simply do a forum search as this has been asked and answered quite a few times.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #206
jebbbz

One problem with buying an all-in-one HD with enclosure is that typically they come with a shorter warranty than you can get buying the HD seperately. I have a WD enclosure with a 250GB drive and it came with only a one year warranty whereas had I purchased an enclosure and added an HD I could have gotten a three to five year warranty on the drive.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #207
richsadams

Quote:

Gary
It's been noted here (see #35) that Calvary drives/enclosures have not performed very well in the past. Just a heads up.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #208
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
... I don't trust any other brand to run 24/7.
Don't worry, all modern drives run 24/7.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #209
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Don't worry, all modern drives run 24/7.
FWIW most all modern drives, with the exception of the DVR dedicated drives, have a spin down program that idles the drive after a period of non use don't they?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #210
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams
FWIW most all modern drives, with the exception of the DVR dedicated drives, have a spin down program that idles the drive after a period of non use don't they?
On PC's, that is typically done by the OS's Power Management facilities.

However, The HDD industry is introducing several power management capabilities that can be enabled. These include powering off the servo, reducing spindle speed etc etc.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote