TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #121
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
I see you used the SuperSize option. I just tried that last night. HAs there been any problems with that?
Not for me. It's working as advertised but only for two whole days. I'll tell you this, Spike is a great asset to the Tivo community.

Thanks again Spike.

Gary
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #122
TerryTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
What kind of issues? I think that Spike said that there were initially some problems with drive sizes over 500GB but I think that's been fixed.

Were the problems immediate or happen after you got more storage on the drive?

Certainly temperature considerations are something people need to take seriously when considering a larger drive. The Samsung Spinpoint drives are known to run much quieter and cooler than most other drives. Also drives that make use of perpendicular recording or that can have acoustic management, etc, turned on might run a little cooler.

There is an entire thread about drives that are recommended specifically for DVRs, drives like the Hitachi Cinemastar and Seagate DB35 series drives.

Finally if you are going to put a big hot drive in the Tivo you should consider how well ventilated the area you are going to put the unit in is.
It wasnt a db35 and it was quite noisey on seek but nothing major. The problems i had were system slowness and lockups... the picture would also jerk like the disk couldnt keep up.

What were the known issues?
TerryTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #123
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTT
It wasnt a db35 and it was quite noisey on seek but nothing major. The problems i had were system slowness and lockups... the picture would also jerk like the disk couldnt keep up.

What were the known issues?
Overheating. The 7200.10 series drive is one of the warmer ones out there.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #124
TracerBullet

It worked! Thank you so much Spike and everyone else that gave me help.

Two questions, though- I couldn't get the last screw in that holds down the HDD plate- my tool was not long enough. Is it going to be okay to leave it like that until I get a longer screwdriver?

Also, what should I do with my original HDD? Keep it as a backup?

Oh, and one problem- I tried to use the SuperSize option, but it crashed WinMFS. Not a big deal, but I thought Spike would like to know.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #125
jmpage2

You want all the bracket screws in to cut down on vibration as that will possibly extend the lifespan of the drive, etc.

I'm sure running it without it for a while won't hurt anything, I've left drives hanging out of server cases, running, for weeks.

You definitely should keep the original HDD in a static free, vibration controlled environment in the event you ever have to "recover" your Tivo from that original drive.

Alternatively you could make a truncated backup of the original drive and as long as you were confident that the backup was good you could junk the original. I put the original drive in a static bag in a hard drive shipping clamshell and placed it in my safe.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #126
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Two questions, though- I couldn't get the last screw in that holds down the HDD plate- my tool was not long enough. Is it going to be okay to leave it like that until I get a longer screwdriver?
Yes, as long as the other 3 are tight enough to avoid significant vibration. But don't forget about it.

Quote:
Also, what should I do with my original HDD? Keep it as a backup?
That's what I am doing. 160GB isn't large enough to bother moving to a computer.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #127
jfh3

Quote:
I put the original drive in a static bag in a hard drive shipping clamshell and placed it in my safe.
Wow. I thought I valued my Tivos highly, but putting the hard drive in a safe? You win.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #128
TerryTT

Quote:
I thought that but system temp never went above normal... so not sure...
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #129
TerryTT

Quote:
I meant from this quote: Originally Posted by jmpage2
What kind of issues? I think that Spike said that there were initially some problems with drive sizes over 500GB but I think that's been fixed

Befor I plump for a new drive I just want to verify my 750gb seagate isnt junk and whether it was a software issue?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #130
BankZ

I just have a laptop, am I SOL? Could I just buy two external USB cases?
BankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #131
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ
I just have a laptop, am I SOL? Could I just buy two external USB cases?
You could probably just get a single USB enclosure with SATA support. Put the Tivo drive in it, hook it up to your laptop and backup your drive to the hard drive of the laptop (or make a truncated backup if you don't have enough storage on the laptop).

Then put the new blank drive in the same enclosure and restore to it. I can't think of a good reason why this would not work.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #132
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You could probably just get a single USB enclosure with SATA support. Put the Tivo drive in it, hook it up to your laptop and backup your drive to the hard drive of the laptop (or make a truncated backup if you don't have enough storage on the laptop).

Then put the new blank drive in the same enclosure and restore to it. I can't think of a good reason why this would not work.
I thought you couldn't make a full backup of a drive, just the truncated? And only copy the entire contents from one drive to another. If you can that would have saved me some time. I could just copy all my TiVo drives and restore them to another drive. I have several Terabytes of drives sitting around so at least I could put them to some good use.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #133
b3ar

Quote:
I thought you couldn't make a full backup of a drive, just the truncated? And only copy the entire contents from one drive to another. If you can that would have saved me some time. I could just copy all my TiVo drives and restore them to another drive. I have several Terabytes of drives sitting around so at least I could put them to some good use.
It copied my entire drive for me (had about 27% free). This was phenomenally easy.

Bill

TiVo Premiere XL
TivoHD - 750GB (98 HD hours) - thanks, Spike2k5 and WinMFS!
b3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #134
rainwater

Quote:
If you use the MFSLive Linux boot cd, you can make full backups of drives (and full restores).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #135
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
If you use the MFSLive Linux boot cd, you can make full backups of drives (and full restores).
So when you say full backup, are you still able to store other material on the drive along with the TiVo drive backup? All I've done so far is copy one drive to another and the copy can only be used in the TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #136
BankZ

Two questions, from windows Vista can I make a full image (tivo software, settings and all shows) or do I need to use the linux boot cd? How much space do I need free on my computer? Is it something like 1gig + size of shows? or is it 160gig?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #137
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ
Two questions, from windows Vista can I make a full image (tivo software, settings and all shows) or do I need to use the linux boot cd? How much space do I need free on my computer? Is it something like 1gig + size of shows? or is it 160gig?
You need to use the WinMFS upgrade program or the new Linux boot CD on MFSLive.org.

WinMFS works fine under Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Vista64. Do not use it under Windows 9x or Windows 2000.

The Tivo software itself consumes about 371Mb.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #138
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5
You can use MFSLive Linux Boot CD as well.

hdparm -M 128 -K 1 /dev/sda

128 is the quietest you can set.
I tried using this last nite on a brand new WD 750 gb Sata drive and it kept throwing errors at me about not being able to set the keep settings and acoustic settings. Will this utility only work with a specific set of WD drives? I even tried testing it on an older 250 gig IDE from a hr10-250 and got the same exact results.

Thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #139
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
I tried using this last nite on a brand new WD 750 gb Sata drive and it kept throwing errors at me about not being able to set the keep settings and acoustic settings. Will this utility only work with a specific set of WD drives? I even tried testing it on an older 250 gig IDE from a hr10-250 and got the same exact results.

Thanks
try w/o -K 1 and see if that make any difference.
It should work for all drive w/ aam feature enabled in S.M.A.R.T.

FYI, non of Seagate drives have this feature. It's set at the factory at quiet mode for DB35 drives and fastest mode for desktop drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #140
cr33p

Quote:
try w/o -K 1 and see if that make any difference.
It should work for all drive w/ aam feature enabled in S.M.A.R.T.

FYI, non of Seagate drives have this feature. It's set at the factory at quiet mode for DB35 drives and fastest mode for desktop drives.
Would it make any difference if I am trying this from a usb to sata connector rather then off my mbd? Also SMART is turned off in my BIOS

Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #141
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
Would it make any difference if I am trying this from a usb to sata connector rather then off my mbd? Also SMART is turned off in my BIOS

Thanks
I don't think AAM can be enabled over a USB connection.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #142
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
I don't think AAM can be enabled over a USB connection.
Well I am betting thats my problem then I will have to retest at a later date. Thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #143
spike2k5

Looks like 1TB per drive limit has been lifted on Tivo HD.

[edit] I ran some more test and I don't think there is a 1TB limit per drive for either S3 or TivoHD.

I was able to do 2TB on S3 as well with raid.

Here is a screenshot of 2TB Tivo HD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by spike2k5 : 08-23-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #144
wizzy
S1, (2) S2, TivoHD

Successfully upgrade to a 750 gig WD drive. Hardest part was finding an extra sata cable (thought I had ordered a retail kit, but it was OEM). I had a copy of Ultimate Boot CD laying around, and it had the Hitachi acoustic management software on it. I could definitely tell a difference when I moved it down to 128 (there is a "test" option). I'm another one with only 3 screws in place...I'm not worrying about it too much, I have been a screw short in my series 1 for years.

Thanks, spike!
wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #145
jmpage2

Quote:
Looks like 1TB per drive limit has been lifted on Tivo HD.

Here is a screenshot of 2TB Tivo HD.
Spike, did you actually find a way to shoe horn the two drives into the Tivo HD?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #146
spike2k5

Quote:
Spike, did you actually find a way to shoe horn the two drives into the Tivo HD?
I used hardware raid 0. Four 500GB SATA drives.

eSATA port is not enabled yet on Tivo HD.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 AM   #147
jmpage2

Quote:
I used hardware raid 0. Four 500GB SATA drives.

eSATA port is not enabled yet on Tivo HD.
Ah, Frankenstein box. Gotcha!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #148
BankZ

I upgraded my TiVo HD to a 500 gig WD harddrive. It was simple and fast. Thanks everyone
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #149
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...I ran some more test and I don't think there is a 1TB limit per drive for either S3 or TivoHD.

I was able to do 2TB on S3 as well with raid.
Wow, do you ever slow down? If I remember correctly it wasn't so much an absolute limit at 1TB but the manifestation of some signed integer bugs that reveal themselves at that point. I can't remember the exact details right now. I just remember putting in my notes to not go there when trying to get my RAID up and running.

Ok, here is the post from JamieP I originally referenced in my notes. Looking at the example of the display problems from that post I now notice that it was on a HD DirecTiVo. So, maybe this "limitation" that has been floating around is actually obsolete. Your testing appears to reveal that.

Last edited by jlib : 08-23-2007 at 10:50 AM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #150
mazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
In WinMFS, you just load the original drive into WinMFS and do a truncated backup. This will save the original drive to a file on your windows partition. Then load your new drive in WinMFS and do a restore. Since the drive is bigger it will ask you to expand the drive once it is done (say yes of course). The whole process only takes a couple of minutes. However, you should make sure you have enough SATA headers on your motherboard to hook the drives up. If you only have one extra, you can just hook one drive up at a time and do each step. You just need to make sure you are using XP SP 1 or later or the drives get auto mounted and mess up the boot page.
I have a pc with 2 SATA connectors. Are these the correct steps to upgrade the drive:
1. Download WinMFS
2. Shut down Windows & attach original TiVo drive
3. Boot to Vista, run WinMFS and backup original TiVo drive to the Windows (c:\) drive
4. Shut down & attach New Larger Drive.
5. Boot to Vista, run WinMFS and restore TiVo image on Windows (c:\) drive to New Larger Drive.

Done.?
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote