Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #421
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
A lot of agencies will not let COPS crews ride with them. Mine is one of those.
L.A> cops have an aversion to cameras.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #422
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I also wonder why Fox is burning them off two a week, although I haven't checked the ratings.
Probably going to be doing more sports programming, I know that was the plan at one point.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #423
WhiskeyTango

Burning them off?? They've been doing the back to back new episodes for years.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #424
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Burning them off?? They've been doing the back to back new episodes for years.
Yes, but the second episode has been an "encore" (read: repeat) episode for a long time. The last several weeks, both episodes have been new ones.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #425
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Yes, but the second episode has been an "encore" (read: repeat) episode for a long time. The last several weeks, both episodes have been new ones.
Not entirely true. They aired 2 new eps as recently as 1/14, 1/21, 2/4, & 2/25 last year.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #426
Fish Man
Phish Food

I'll be sad the day FOX finally cancels COPS.

My FOX affiliate pushed these episodes to 4:00 Sunday afternoon because they cover the Endymion parade live each year.

I've heard from a couple of semi-reliable sources that COPS had/has crews riding along with New Orleans cops for Super Bowl and Mardi Gras (as they did when a Super Bowl and Mardi Gras "collided" in 2002).

I hope it's true. The Mardi Gras COPS episodes are always great! (One of the cops featured on the most recent one, 2004 I believe, used to be my 2 doors down neighbor. He owned two female pit bulls named Thelma and Louise.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #427
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
L.A> cops have an aversion to cameras.
As a few LA area agencies including the LAPD, LASD, Pomona PD, Rialto PD, San Bernardino SO, and Riverside SO have been featured on COPS, I seriously doubt that's the reason. Plus most agencies (including mine) have dash cameras now.

No, it's that many chiefs (including every one I have worked for since COPS first aired) have the belief that actual police work is not entertainment. Some chiefs also believe the crews will simply get in the way, or worse be such a distraction that the officer really can't do his or her job effectively. Sometimes I find that just having a ridealong can be a distraction, never mind 2 of them in your car with audio and video recording equipment.

I also present the infamous episode from Fort Worth where the featured cop was going to be a hero on-camera and save a woman from her burning home. Except it was NOT her house that was on fire, but one well on the other side of the block. I am of the belief that if the camera crew was not there, he might have been a bit clearer in his thinking, and would not have broken out the window panes of this woman's living room window (each of which were too small for her to crawl through anyway).

Another Fort Worth cop joined in a pursuit, unauthorized, and worse continued to pursue in violation of direct orders to cease which culminated in a traffic accident with an innocent third party who was seriously injured. I believe he did that because he wanted to be captured on camera chasing and apprehending the guy. He ultimately got fired for it.

Last edited by RonDawg : 02-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #428
Langree
The Gimp

I love the one with the fire and they bust out the wrong window.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #429
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
I love the one with the fire and they bust out the wrong window.
I especially liked his reaction when his supervisor found out:

Quote:
Sarge: So, what do you plan on doing to fix this problem? (or something like that)

DumbA__Officer: I dunno Sarge, you're the supervisor!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #430
newsposter
Poster of News

i guess we dont see the entire chase etc because when they pulled over the 2 guys it seemed like BS they were asking them to get out of the car etc..then they said we saw you in front of the known drug house and i realized why.

i am amazed that as messy as some of these cars are, they find anything half the time.

the woman in the leopard shorts/skirt was just...well..very appropriate for this show

i guess sometimes when they are asking if someone is in a relationship and living to gether is to arrest under a domestic code vs 2 people just knowing each other?

one thing i've pretty much learned is never talk to a cop that pulls you over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #431
firerose818
Graduate student!

TC CLUB MEMBER
"I'd like to say this is my first time dealing with a naked bicyclist in downtown Portland but that's not even close."
firerose818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #432
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerose818 View Post
"I'd like to say this is my first time dealing with a naked bicyclist in downtown Portland but that's not even close."
And it won't be the last.

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #433
janry

The guy in the Maverick did a fine job of talking himself into an arrest.

I wonder who moved the marijuana plants to the guy's backyard. [/sarcasm]
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #434
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post

Agreed on both counts. For the drunk driver, I would think that the cop would be able to tell that the driver had been drinking. It's also the first time I've seen a cop have to call another cop to do a sobriety test.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #435
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I can't believe the guy in the Maverick complained to the cop about the spotlight blinding him. What a buffoon.
I thought the guy was drunk as soon as they showed him, thought it odd that the cop didn't think that.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #436
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I thought the guy did a reasonably good job of covering during the first conversation. As soon as the cop went back to the car, that's when it really fell apart. And you could tell the passenger was mentally facepalming while thinking "Dude! Just STFU already!"
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #437
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Agreed on both counts. For the drunk driver, I would think that the cop would be able to tell that the driver had been drinking. It's also the first time I've seen a cop have to call another cop to do a sobriety test.
Depending on the agency not every officer may be trained on how to do the SFSTs. It's not all that uncommon to see.

In the second part of the stop you could tell the officer knew something was up and was about to give him a break but he couldn't keep his mouth shut.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #438
philw1776

Quote:

I think it was the moron in the Maverick who moved them
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #439
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
Depending on the agency not every officer may be trained on how to do the SFSTs. It's not all that uncommon to see.
You learn something new every day. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #440
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I can't believe the guy in the Maverick complained to the cop about the spotlight blinding him. What a buffoon.
I thought the guy was drunk as soon as they showed him, thought it odd that the cop didn't think that.
Upon initial contact, I thought the guy seemed pretty straight. It wasn't until his attitude changed that I thought "he's on something".

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #441
newsposter
Poster of News

wow that one was great, talking yourself into being arrested. sure made up for the boring other segment with the black guy and the breathing issue.

the cop should have had a starskey and hutch car when he pulled over, that woulda been a classic.

the pot plant thing was just too funny, the plants climbed over the fence themselves eh? i'm so glad i dont have neighbors like that.

!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #442
Bob Coxner

A really weak episode. 1/3 of it was a guy calling to complain that his ex-gf made a dime sized dent in his wall? That was the most exciting event they could come up with?
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #443
newsposter
Poster of News

the hole in the wall sounded like an abuse of 911 to me. isnt that a civil matter

!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #444
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

"Boston's Finest" looks pretty good. It's a better "Cops," with Donnie Wahlberg producing and narrating.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #445
janry

Old guys shouldn't run from the cops.

Was that a spike strip one cop was pulling along? Was he going to throw in front of the guy in hopes he'd step on it?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #446
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:

Was that a spike strip one cop was pulling along? Was he going to throw in front of the guy in hopes he'd step on it?
thats what i thought..good use of props!

!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #447
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
wow that one was great, talking yourself into being arrested. sure made up for the boring other segment with the black guy and the breathing issue.

the cop should have had a starskey and hutch car when he pulled over, that woulda been a classic.

the pot plant thing was just too funny, the plants climbed over the fence themselves eh? i'm so glad i dont have neighbors like that.
Umm, the "black guy with the breathing issue" is the same one as the "pot plant thing." After he fled from the cops and subsequently crashed his truck, he tried to run. After he was caught, he complained he couldn't breathe. The guy had apparently broken into a medical marijuana dispensary, or decided to steal someone else's harvest.

Or are you talking about last week's episode, with one neighbor accusing the other of stealing her pot plants? That one I thought was a bit boring.

Quote:
Neither should anyone with a breathing problem.

Quote:
It looked like one and that surprised the heck out of me. I think that officer was set up nearby to throw the spike strip, but since the guy crashed before he got that far, that officer decided to join in but forgot all about the spike strip he was holding
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #448
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
A really weak episode. 1/3 of it was a guy calling to complain that his ex-gf made a dime sized dent in his wall? That was the most exciting event they could come up with?
I suspect the producers of the show included that segment to publicly humiliate the guy (yet he is such a clueless d-bag that he obviously signed a release for the footage of him to be used, not realizing how dooshy he looked).

It really did look to me like the woman wanted a neat, clean, painless break with the guy but he was hell-bent on harassing her for as long as he possibly could, and was going to use the cops and the courts to do it.

She left her sectional sofa in the house (they showed it briefly, it looked new and expensive) because she didn't think fighting over it was worth it and he makes a Federal case out of a dime-sized ding in the sheetrock, something he could have fixed in 10 minutes with a $1 container of spackle and some leftover paint.

I think that was worth seeing for the "disgusting behavior" factor.

D! BAG!

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #449
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
Umm, the "black guy with the breathing issue" is the same one as the "pot plant thing." After he fled from the cops and subsequently crashed his truck, he tried to run. After he was caught, he complained he couldn't breathe. The guy had apparently broken into a medical marijuana dispensary, or decided to steal someone else's harvest.
Except it was all stems, not the good stuff. It was the residue left over after a harvest. No one would bother to steal that, it would be like stealing someones lawn clippings.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #450
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
I suspect the producers of the show included that segment to publicly humiliate the guy (yet he is such a clueless d-bag that he obviously signed a release for the footage of him to be used, not realizing how dooshy he looked).

It really did look to me like the woman wanted a neat, clean, painless break with the guy but he was hell-bent on harassing her for as long as he possibly could, and was going to use the cops and the courts to do it.

She left her sectional sofa in the house (they showed it briefly, it looked new and expensive) because she didn't think fighting over it was worth it and he makes a Federal case out of a dime-sized ding in the sheetrock, something he could have fixed in 10 minutes with a $1 container of spackle and some leftover paint.

I think that was worth seeing for the "disgusting behavior" factor.

D! BAG!
Why would the moron with the hole in the wall sign off on televising this? If I was that much of a D bag in private I sure wouldn't want everyone to know it. Amazing, the lure of TV in this Facebook hang it all out there culture.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote