TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Defiance season 2

I'm really enjoying it so far. I feel like it's improved a lot over season 1, without in any way feeling discontinuous with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
leswar
leswar

yup.. season 1 started slowly. I gave up on it after a couple episodes. Then came back to it and thought it had hit a stride in the later episodes.

Season 2 has many undercurrents and has remains strong. Enjoying it and the new Dominion.
leswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
danterner
Not it!

I agree - I'm glad I stuck with it through season one (which I didn't think was bad, necessarily, but season two is definitely improved).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Bummer. I watched all of season 1 and felt the show was ok. I missed the start of season 2, so I'm way behind.

I may have to look out for reruns from the beginning or some alternative free means (not BT) of watching, if any. I'd rather not watch using my PC...
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Bummer. I watched all of season 1 and felt the show was ok. I missed the start of season 2, so I'm way behind. I may have to look out for reruns from the beginning or some alternative free means (not BT) of watching, if any. I'd rather not watch using my PC...
I watch them via the Syfy iOS app
| Twitter:
Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
gweempose

The show is okay, but not one of my favorites. Season 2 has been piling up on my DVR, as there is always something else I'd prefer to watch. Are any of you playing the MMO shooter? How is it?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
danterner
Not it!

The MMO (or the concept of it - game and show tightly interwoven) is one of the things that attracted me to the series in the first place. I waited to see the game's reviews before picking it up and they were mediocre, though, so I never bothered with the game but I've been watching the show anyway.
| Twitter:
Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
wprager

S2 is edgier, grittier and better story lines. It's more sci fi, in some ways. And, while it's not at HBO level, it's getting quite risque in what they manage to show (this week's episode, especially).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Howie
Out of Pocket

I haven't watched this week's ep yet. You mean someone has close interpersonal relationships?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
danterner
Not it!

Two people, if you want to get all scientific about it.
| Twitter:
Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I watch them via the Syfy iOS app
Thanks... I might try via that. I didn't know about the app.

I only had their Blastr app for my iPhone installed...

Too bad it doesn't seem to have Chromecast support, so that I can watch on my TV. It looks like I can also watch it on the Xfinity To Go app.

(If the she's available on Comcast via On Demand, it doesn't help for my TV case as I don't have a Comcast STB nor a new enough TiVo (mine's a TiVo HD).)
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
It looks like I can also watch it on the Xfinity To Go app.
You can, but the commercial handling is better on the SyFy app - occasional 30 second spots. On the Xfinity app, it's more frequent 3:00 commercial blocks, and good luck if you need to rewind or fast forward or close the app etc - any excuse to start a commercial chain and the Xfinity app grabs it.
| Twitter:
Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
The show is okay, but not one of my favorites. Season 2 has been piling up on my DVR, as there is always something else I'd prefer to watch. Are any of you playing the MMO shooter? How is it?
This is how I feel too, but after the comments here, maybe I'll start watching it again (I watched the first one and the rest are sitting on the DVR).

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I haven't watched this week's ep yet. You mean someone has close interpersonal relationships?
Well, the bath scenes are always NSFW, but this week's episode pushed things a bit further than that. Not quite Games of Thrones, or even True Detective, but more than I remember from S1.

But beyond that, the show has been grittier, the storylines have dealt with more serious cohesiveness to people's actions - it's like the show grew up.

EDIT: I love the Swype keyboard, but every once in a while you get "cohesiveness" in place of "consequences" (at least that's what I think I was trying to type).

Last edited by wprager : 08-16-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'm caught up on the show through last night's episode and I'm finding it to be just OK. I've always watched because I like Julie Benz and I like the idea of an original futuristic sci-fi show. But I've always found this show to be just slightly better than mediocre. I can't put my finger on why I feel that way or what I think they should do to improve it.

Having said that, the latest episode makes the Indogene race seem much more interesting and I'd like to see more of that. And I've always liked the Rafe character. Don't like Datak Tarr or Irisa. Whenever they have significant plotlines, the episode usually sucks.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Aw, how can you not love (or love to hate) Datak? He's the most fun.

I wasn't totally happy with the last episode, because I didn't hear an adequate explanation for the whole
Spoiler:
fake Kenya
conspiracy. It's a lot of trouble to go to, so they need a damn good reason to do it.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
rorrim
Runs with Scissors

I'm enjoying the show. I don't think it will go down as one of the greatest sci-fi shows, but I really like the premise. It's unique enough that I continue to watch just to see where they will go with it.

I really like the interactions between Nolan and Amanda. Those two seem to be stealing the show this season.
rorrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Aw, how can you not love (or love to hate) Datak? He's the most fun.

I enjoy Datak and the passive-aggressiveness of Stahma.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Gerryex

I've seen all the episodes but I forgot why Stahma and the new mayor wanted Kenya dead. Could someone refresh my memory?

Thanks,
Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
wprager

The new mayor had nothing to do with it. Stahma was having "sessions" with Kenya and Datak found out. Datak threatened to kill both of them (not an idle threat) so Stahma killed Kenya to -- I guess -- redeem herself in Datak's eyes.

The new mayor schemed with the doctor to come up with the fake Kenya -- they have not explained the motive behind that move. Clearly he knew that he couldn't fool Amanda forever.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I've seen all the episodes but I forgot why Stahma and the new mayor wanted Kenya dead. Could someone refresh my memory?

Thanks,
Gerry
Spoiler:
Stahma killed Kenya because she was having sexual relations with her and didn't want Datak to find out. It turns out he knew and didn't care.

Amanda took the loss of Kenya hard and the new mayor has a thing for Amanda so he created a clone of Kenya and was going to be the hero that saved her. But things went wrong and clone Kenya was kidnapped before that happened. The new mayor wanted to kill clone Kenya so Amanda wouldn't find out what he had done.

Last edited by Allanon : 08-17-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
wprager

Wait, what are the spoiler rules for a full season thread? Surely the stuff from season one doesn't need to be spoiler tagged?

EDIT: And Datak was pretty upset when he first found out. He was out in public (about to vote) so he suppressed it, but later on he ended up killing the E-Rep colonel in his (new) office. Pretty sure that was at least partly because he snapped.

Last edited by wprager : 08-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Wait, what are the spoiler rules for a full season thread? Surely the stuff from season one doesn't need to be spoiler tagged?
Thread title didn't say spoilers so I aired on the safe side.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
EDIT: And Datak was pretty upset when he first found out. He was out in public (about to vote) so he suppressed it, but later on he ended up killing the E-Rep colonel in his (new) office. Pretty sure that was at least partly because he snapped.
I don't remember Detak finding out about Stahma and Kenya. So after your post I went to the Defiance Wiki and found this:
Quote:
Stahma passed along information to Kenya that Datak was planning on having Amanda shot at the mayoral debate who told Nolan and her sister, but she felt betrayed when she learned that it was a ploy to set Nolan up. She went to see Stahma and told her that she is going to tell Datak about them, but Stahma replied that Datak already knew. Stahma later came to Kenya and told her that Datak planned to kill her. After Amanda lost the mayoral election, Kenya told her sister that she was proud of who she was before she went to find Stahma. Stahma told Kenya that she was going to leave Datak and wanted Kenya to come with her, however she instead poisoned Kenya.
Source: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Kenya_Rosewater

I think Stahma lied about Datak knowing so Kenya wouldn't tell him.

Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #24
wprager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyth...%28Defiance%29

Spoiler:

Kenya made a suggestive comment to Datak about Stahma which reveals to him that she's been unfaithful, and then Datak threatens Stahma in the voting booth. Although if I remember correctly the comment is rather vague, and it's possible that Datak interpreted it as Stahma having an affair with a man; I wouldn't put it past him to discount an affair with a woman as nothing serious. Anyhow, he threatens Stahma in the voting booth and Stahma later kills Kenya in order to earn forgiveness.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
Gerryex

Hi ALL,

Thanks for the info! Its sometimes hard to keep straight all the different plot lines.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #26
teknikel

I thought this season/show ended very well. I assume this was a series finale. Correct me if my assumption is wrong about no season 3.

teknikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I didn't get the sense that it was a series finale and had assumed it was renewed, but in looking for evidence, it seems it hasn't been renewed and it's still in limbo.
Old Today, 12:18 AM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I didn't get the sense that it was a series finale and had assumed it was renewed, but in looking for evidence, it seems it hasn't been renewed and it's still in limbo.
Crap!! I was wondering about renewal. I would have thought it would have been renewed by now if it was returning. Hopefully they do end up renewing it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote