Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Official "TiVo Endorsed" Hard Drives Announced

TiVo just announced the implementation of eSATA and the officially supported TiVo Hard Drive available ONLY from Best Buy. So this begs the question. Are our OLD hard drives still going to work or will TiVo upload some software that will make any but their drive useless? I literally JUST installed TWO Hard Drives into MX-1 cases. Now I wonder if I ought to just return them... Has anyone heard anything from TiVo Inc. or TiVo Pony about using other drives other than the official TiVo drives?

Last edited by bareyb : 07-24-2007 at 02:24 AM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
dvr4me

I'm sure it's just a tivo branded esata hard drive. I'm betting there is nothing special about it and any esata external drive would work.

It's most likely an item that someone without the tech knowhow can go into Best Buy and purchase off the shelf and feel warm and cozy that it is a Tivo drive but it's actually just a rebadged WD or Seagate in a Tivo labeled esata case.

Of course I could be wrong and they could limit it to a certain drive type/manufacturer in the software and if it isn't "the official Tivo drive" then it won't work.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I hope it is home-theater-shaped. That is, a box the size of a stereo component. I don't want some random extra box hanging off the back of my stereo rack.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just got off the phone with TiVo Inc. support and they don't know anything about the new drives. Just that they are coming out on the market at some point. No ETA and no info on how big they might be or if us folks with our own drives are going to be "out of luck". He did feel that ONLY the TiVo branded drive would be officially supported though.

I can't believe TiVo would hobble other drives just to force you to buy their own. That's not like them at all. So I guess I'll sit on installing my new drives until I hear more news.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

I think that it'll be a situation like the USB wireless adapters. The Tivo adapter will be the only one "officially" sanctioned, but there will be many others that fit the bill.

Since an ESATA drive is and ESATA drive, I expect that we shouldn't see that many problems.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
TiVo just announced the implementation of eSATA and the officially supported TiVo Hard Drive available ONLY from Best Buy
Link?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
I think that it'll be a situation like the USB wireless adapters. The Tivo adapter will be the only one "officially" sanctioned, but there will be many others that fit the bill.

Since an ESATA drive is and ESATA drive, I expect that we shouldn't see that many problems.
I concur. Tivo will "officially" support their branded drive, but other non-tivo branded drives will work fine. Tivo most likely knows that a lot of other business is generated due to people wanting to backup and upgrade their drives. This just gives the average joe a way to do it via retail.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
jrm01

I don't think it was an official Tivo announcement, just the news from engadget:

Quote:
Also in TiVo news, we understand the eSATA port will be enabled for external storage in short order, and Best Buy will have the retail exclusive on the external drive, which will supposedly be a small striped RAID array.

jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
jfh3

Quote:
TiVo just announced the implementation of eSATA and the officially supported TiVo Hard Drive available ONLY from Best Buy. So this begs the question. Are our OLD hard drives still going to work or will TiVo upload some software that will make any but their drive useless? I literally JUST installed TWO Hard Drives into MX-1 cases. Now I wonder if I ought to just return them... Has anyone heard anything from TiVo Inc. or TiVo Pony about using other drives other than the official TiVo drives?

Chill. There is no technical reason why existing eSATA drives would/should stop working.

If Tivo is coming out with their own box, it's a "Tivo logoed plug and play" solution, just like the Tivo wireless G was for wireless support.

I suspect those of us with an MX-1/DB35 will have a better external drive than those with the Tivo-branded ones.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
I don't think it was an official Tivo announcement, just the news from engadget:

I suppose, because over an hour later there is nothing official on the wire services or the TiVo site.

So what's the box fee and the monthly service price for 1,2,3 yr commitment?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #11
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo

So what's the box fee and the monthly service price for 1,2,3 yr commitment?
According to the Tivo website at this time the box fee is:

Quote:
$$products.PG1023.price00

jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
According to the Tivo website at this time the box fee is:
Quote:
Quote:
$$products.PG1023.price00
That's the $200 Gift Cert fee for the TiVo HD. 1024 if the $300 one.

Maybe 1394 is the eSata drive.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #13
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
There is no technical reason why existing eSATA drives would/should stop working.

If Tivo is coming out with their own box, it's a "Tivo logoed plug and play" solution, just like the Tivo wireless G was for wireless support.

I suspect those of us with an MX-1/DB35 will have a better external drive than those with the Tivo-branded ones.
I think you are probably right. The only thing that MIGHT happen is when TiVo throws the switch on the new software that it MAY cause us to start over on the new drive. Hopefully there will be some software instructions that if there is already a second drive, to just leave it alone. I guess we will see...

As for the new unit? It would be cool if TiVo somehow made a deal with the MX-1 people and Seagate to sell re-badged MX-1's with DB35 drives inside. I'm guessing it's gonna be a re-badged Apricorn DVR expander or some other all-in-one solution that already exists.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
jfh3

Quote:
As for the new unit? It would be cool if TiVo somehow made a deal with the MX-1 people and Seagate to sell re-badged MX-1's with DB35 drives inside. I'm guessing it's gonna be a re-badged Apricorn DVR expander or some other all-in-one solution that already exists.

Actually, when I first saw the FreeAgentPro with the black case and orange lights, I thought that would be the perfect Tivo eSATA drive with a Tivo logo on it. But given the problems some have had with FAP, I'm glad I went with the MX-1/DB35 combo and will take a face plate off an old Tivo 40 box and modify the MX-1.

And I'll buy a Tivo branded external drive just because I'll want one for my new Tivo HD(s) if it's as cool looking as the wireless G adapter is.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #15
dvr4me

Quote:
That's the $200 Gift Cert fee for the TiVo HD. 1024 if the $300 one.

Maybe 1394 is the eSata drive.
Naw, that's the firewire drive.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Actually, when I first saw the FreeAgentPro with the black case and orange lights, I thought that would be the perfect Tivo eSATA drive with a Tivo logo on it. But given the problems some have had with FAP, I'm glad I went with the MX-1/DB35 combo and will take a face plate off an old Tivo 40 box and modify the MX-1.

And I'll buy a Tivo branded external drive just because I'll want one for my new Tivo HD(s) if it's as cool looking as the wireless G adapter is.
I darn near bought one of the FAP's until I read about all the problems. The 500 Gig model is down to $169.00 at Amazon.com so it would be a likely candidate since the price point is so attractive. It is a good looking drive.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #17
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
I darn near bought one of the FAP's until I read about all the problems. The 500 Gig model is down to $169.00 at Amazon.com so it would be a likely candidate since the price point is so attractive. It is a good looking drive.

I almost did the same thing, before going the MX-1 route. I did cheap out and get the "normal" Seagate 500GB SATA drive to stuff in it.

Figures that I would do that on Saturday and this would come out on Monday. Looks like I should have gone out and got another S3 today, just to ensure that the Tivo HD will debut tomorrow (wasn't there some talk when the S3 was coming that Tuesdays were "release days" for Tivo? My memory is failing me there, but I remember that folks here seemed certain that it was going to launch on a Tuesday, which it did.)

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #18
wmray3

Quote:

Go ahead and buy it. I was one of the early installs of eSATA drives. I selected the FAP 500Gb model and it has been running flawlessly for over 2 months now. Remember, people only have a tendency to post on here when they have a problem...there are many more of us using the FAP without a problem. Mine does not even get that warm (although it is in a section of my entertainment center without a door, so air flows freely around it). The majority of eSATA install failures seemed to be cable related.

I was even in such a hurry that it was installed straight from the box...I did not even hook it to my computer to change any of the factory default settings that others have.

Retired:
Sony T60 DirecTV Tivo
Hughes GXCEBOT DirecTV Tivo
Phillips DSR704 DirecTV Tivo
SA Explorer 8300
SA Explorer 8000
wmray3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #19
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmray3
Go ahead and buy it. I was one of the early installs of eSATA drives. I selected the FAP 500Gb model and it has been running flawlessly for over 2 months now. Remember, people only have a tendency to post on here when they have a problem...there are many more of us using the FAP without a problem. Mine does not even get that warm (although it is in a section of my entertainment center without a door, so air flows freely around it). The majority of eSATA install failures seemed to be cable related.

I was even in such a hurry that it was installed straight from the box...I did not even hook it to my computer to change any of the factory default settings that others have.
I actually just picked up and installed a 500 gig DB35 into the MX-1 enclosure. Excalibur.com happens to be in Newark which is only 20 minutes from here so I drove over and picked it up (man I love GPS!). About two seconds after I'd tested both drives in the new boxes, the news broke about the eSATA endorsement and new Drives coming from TiVo. So I guess my timing is even worse than GoHokies!

Either way, I'm gonna guess our drives are going to be fine. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see TiVo's branded model being a re-badged FAP.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 AM   #20
rodalpho

Quote:
Chill. There is no technical reason why existing eSATA drives would/should stop working.
Yep. I'm not worried that TiVo will disable my eSATA drive. They're always been very friendly towards their hacking customers, so long as we don't break their DRM.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #21
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

eSata listed for late 2007.

Oh well.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #22
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodalpho
Yep. I'm not worried that TiVo will disable my eSATA drive. They're always been very friendly towards their hacking customers, so long as we don't break their DRM.
That's my feeling too. I just had to ask since I have two weeks return privilages on my new Drives and Enclosures. It's funny to me that the news broke minutes after I'd already installed both drives in both enclosures. That definitely tipped it over to keeping what I have and keeping the faith in TiVo to stay with traditional (read upgradeable) hard drives. My cables are arriving tomorrow and I expect to have it up and running shortly after that. If for some reason I can't get it to work, I guess I can wait for TiVo's product. I don't expect to have any problems, but it is nice to know it's going to be a supported feature (if not necessarily a supported drive).
Old 07-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #23
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Oh well.
Sounds like they might be planning for Christmas. All the more reason to not wait I suppose...
Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 AM   #24
sammydee

Quote:

Oh well.
It's smart on their part to wait. As popular as the new Tivo HD is going to be, they are going to be COMPLETELY SWAMPED for the next few months keeping up with demand and teething pains on that unit. This little thing would just be a distraction now; they need to keep their eyes on the prize ... the huge customer base that the HD will bring them.

When things slow down in a few months they'll be ready for this and other new things.
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #25
ldc3000

I would hope that it would be enabled by the time the Fall 2007 tv season starts.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #26
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Add me into the folks saying that current eSata devices will continue to work as they work now.

The change will be that when it's made official, that changes the mode to official tech support available, but only for the officially supported drive.

I think it's a sound and solid business practice, I'm all for it, let the folks who can provide their own support, drives, cases, use their own hardware without official support, and let the folks that need the extra hand holding and support use the official support path.

bravo Tivo!
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #27
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydee
It's smart on their part to wait. As popular as the new Tivo HD is going to be, they are going to be COMPLETELY SWAMPED for the next few months keeping up with demand and teething pains on that unit. This little thing would just be a distraction now; they need to keep their eyes on the prize ... the huge customer base that the HD will bring them.

When things slow down in a few months they'll be ready for this and other new things.
I can't believe that the code base on the new unit will be significantly different than the S3: basically its four chips replaced by two chips.

Edit: The above comment was based on an earlier chip count, which doesn't seem to match the most recent listing. Still, it appears the 2 decoders are moved onto one chip and some new chips replace some older chips. I think they did some reengineering that provides the same functionality.

Last edited by vstone : 07-24-2007 at 12:43 PM.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote