TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$ Rule!

We are the Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$.

We did not order directly from TiVo.com in the first days.

We did not pay full price plus shipping (and maybe tax too) only to find out we could get an $3 with Lifetime cheaper and faster from elsewhere.

We did not buy it yet. We are waiting to see what happens with bugs, future features, price and etceteras.

We are not pissed.

We are not screwed.

We are tranquil and satisfied, as much as any Chicken can be.

Join us in our peaceful and welcoming enclave!


Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$ Rule!
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
taba469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
S3 w/ lifetime some other than Tivo?

Do you know of a place where we can S3 w/ lifetime other than Tivo?
__________________
Tivo Series 3 - unhacked, 300 hrs, Lifetime
Tivo Series 3 - unhacked, 300 hrs, Monthly
taba469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by taba469
Do you know of a place where we can S3 w/ lifetime other than Tivo?
First, thank you for replying to this desperately lonely thread.

I believe the answer to your question may be contained in the Universe at present.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
thwart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 138
Smile

Okay. I might as well check in. I haven't purchased one yet. So I am happy. I'm waiting till it gets down to a reasonable price of $299. And of course I want the features that are missing from this early version.

I am perfectly willing to wait for the next minor hardware version update (no software update possible) which will be the only way to get the old missing features and the new exciting features in the future at a considerably less expensive price tag.
__________________
Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. Then they went back home.
thwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart
Okay. I might as well check in.
You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.


Remember folks:

When you are ready to experience the bliss of S3 Worship without stress, our doors are open.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 AM   #6
MediaLivingRoom
Registered User
 
MediaLivingRoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,233
Yes, I want a Series 3 TiVo for $599 (after double coupon days) and $199 lifetime transfer with TTG and MRV working and ESATA. I'll pay $30-50 for 4 to 5 year warranty. No Tax and Free Shipping.
__________________
May11-1.961 Million User
Jan11-2.049
Oct10-2.272
Jul10-2.384
Jul09-3.050
Jul08-3.623
Jul07-4.197
Jul06-4.418
July 2005 Tom Rogers was named CEO – A new leader is needed!!!
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 AM   #7
MickeS
Registered User
 
MickeS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 25,883
Finally a thread for the rest of us.

I'm really just waiting for solid TTG/MRV/TTCB announcements, but I'll join you guys anyway, it fits the criteria right?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Yeah, MikeS and MediaLivingRoom, you guys are in.

Can you smell the lavender?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
krypdo
Silent Majority
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo

We did not buy it yet. We are waiting to see what happens with bugs, future features, price and etceteras.

Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$ Rule!
Checking in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS

I'm really just waiting for solid TTG/MRV/TTCB announcements, but I'll join you guys anyway, it fits the criteria right?
+1


I bet CCBs are the silent majority...
krypdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 AM   #10
MediaLivingRoom
Registered User
 
MediaLivingRoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypdo
Checking in...


+1


I bet CCBs are the silent majority...

Yeap, People would ask me when is the HDTV Tivo coming out and I can FINALLY tell them it's here. BUT when I say it cost $799 they laugh, like "Are you kidding??!!"

So, Tivo.... Are you kidding???? $799 Comcast charges 9.99 plus 5.99 their version. Tivo what do the average person think?
__________________
May11-1.961 Million User
Jan11-2.049
Oct10-2.272
Jul10-2.384
Jul09-3.050
Jul08-3.623
Jul07-4.197
Jul06-4.418
July 2005 Tom Rogers was named CEO – A new leader is needed!!!
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:43 AM   #11
mick66
Dirty Burger
 
mick66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 'verse
Posts: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaLivingRoom
So, Tivo.... Are you kidding???? $799 Comcast charges 9.99 plus 5.99 their version.
WTF? That's as asinine as comparing the $40,000 purchase price of a Lexus to the $30 rental price of a VW.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 47,941
I won't be buying an S3 until 2008 at the earliest, because that's when I'll be buying my HDTV and related equipment. Actually, I'll probably never buy an S3. By then it'll be the S4.

Besides, I need to save $5K or so to upgrade my eyes, via Lasik, to HD.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #13
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,486
Yep, I do not even have an HDTV yet. Also just have extended basic cable.
so for cable and 5 recording tuners and 700 hour of space I pay about 70$ a month total. I MRV all over the place and use TiVoToGo when on the run. Life is good here in SD land, except the football is not as crisp as a great fall Day.

Thanks again TiVo for the DT series 2, it fits my Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$ approach to TV perfectly.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
AaRdVarK3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 85
There's a not insignificant part of me that wishes I hadn't gone HD. It's been a pain in the ass to get it all set up, and all the fun stuff seems to be happening with SD content (TTG, SlingBox, iPod functionality, etc). The problem is once you get used to it, the thought of going back is pretty painful.

If I could just get the major networks OTA where I live, I'd be happy.
AaRdVarK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #15
QVo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24
Can I join?

I'm the baby chick then, because I'm "cheap, cheap"

My logic for waiting is a little different. I had Adelphia/MOXI which was pretty good, but after I got my 42" 1080P LCD my main driver was HD! I want to see EVERYTHING in HD!

So, I have AT&T, and bundled Dish Network, and got the ViP622 for $200, but they had a special promo of $10 back for 10 months, and $10 back for HD for 10 months, PLUS a one-bill bundle of about $7 that goes on until I cancel my service. So in 10 months the ViP622 pays for itself which isn't bad. My bill for Dish is something like $37 for HD Silver package for the first 10 months.

I think I get something like 25-29 HD channels, Food Network just came on (which my wife LOVES), HGTV HD, ESPN, Discovery, etc.

The two features I REALLY MISS from my DirecTivo days were the ploh-ploohp menu sounds, and the FFW feature that would show me a few seconds ahead and then go back a few seconds after I hit play, which always plopped me right back from a show's return from commercial break.

With the confirmation that TiVo sounds not working in DD 5.1 (I have an ONKYO 7.1), my MOXI's sounds didn't work in DD either (now I know why), there is only one feature I miss. I couldn't care any less about TTG, HMO, etc. That's what my Mac Mini is for.

$800 dollars for one feature is pretty out there.

I'll switch back to TiVo for $199, and $19.95 a month, or $399, and 12.95 a month, with one year free. Then maybe I'll convince my wife to drop satellite and cable and go strictly OTA. (I'll have to pry her from Food Network in HD though - which is doubtful).
QVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
windracer
joined the 10k club
 
windracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Pete, FL
Posts: 11,222
*sigh* I guess I'd better hang out here with the rest of you l00sers for a while.
__________________
840~Roamio Pro (TA, MoCA) + two A92~Minis, 758~Premiere XL4 (TA, MoCA)
S/old: 746~S4, 658~HDXL, 648~OLED S3, 565~TX20, 230~S2, 140~S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
Lenarro
USSB Forever!
 
Lenarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hudson, FL
Posts: 44
cluck
Lenarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
MediaLivingRoom
Registered User
 
MediaLivingRoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,233
I love a high value at a dirt cheap price. My Price is $599 for an S3
__________________
May11-1.961 Million User
Jan11-2.049
Oct10-2.272
Jul10-2.384
Jul09-3.050
Jul08-3.623
Jul07-4.197
Jul06-4.418
July 2005 Tom Rogers was named CEO – A new leader is needed!!!
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Devx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
I might as well join the club too. I really want a S3 but not at the $800 price point. I have lifetime on my S2 now and I'm even willing to give up the lifetime transfer option at this point (it would take me ~6+ years to break even anyway assuming the MSD price stays the same). Once all the major retailers start getting it, especially the large (discount) retailers like Amazon.com, Wal-mart, etc. then the price will come down.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
kensteele
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by QVo
I'm the baby chick then, because I'm "cheap, cheap"

My logic for waiting is a little different. I had Adelphia/MOXI which was pretty good, but after I got my 42" 1080P LCD my main driver was HD! I want to see EVERYTHING in HD!

So, I have AT&T, and bundled Dish Network, and got the ViP622 for $200, but they had a special promo of $10 back for 10 months, and $10 back for HD for 10 months, PLUS a one-bill bundle of about $7 that goes on until I cancel my service. So in 10 months the ViP622 pays for itself which isn't bad. My bill for Dish is something like $37 for HD Silver package for the first 10 months.

I think I get something like 25-29 HD channels, Food Network just came on (which my wife LOVES), HGTV HD, ESPN, Discovery, etc.

The two features I REALLY MISS from my DirecTivo days were the ploh-ploohp menu sounds, and the FFW feature that would show me a few seconds ahead and then go back a few seconds after I hit play, which always plopped me right back from a show's return from commercial break.

With the confirmation that TiVo sounds not working in DD 5.1 (I have an ONKYO 7.1), my MOXI's sounds didn't work in DD either (now I know why), there is only one feature I miss. I couldn't care any less about TTG, HMO, etc. That's what my Mac Mini is for.

$800 dollars for one feature is pretty out there.

I'll switch back to TiVo for $199, and $19.95 a month, or $399, and 12.95 a month, with one year free. Then maybe I'll convince my wife to drop satellite and cable and go strictly OTA. (I'll have to pry her from Food Network in HD though - which is doubtful).
Yeah I'm playing the waiting game too...so this mac mini, I have an extra powerpc version sitting around idle, what can I do with it? Could you point me to that forum please?
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #21
rmryan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 13
I'm in, too. I'm a little worried about SDV, but I'm really just waiting for the price to drop. I have both a S2 and a SA8300HD from TWC. The SA has far and away a better picture but it's just not a TiVo. People try to tell me they're the same thing but they just don't get it....

Oh, well. Just waiting for some HD TiVo lovin' It's coming. Soon. Really.
rmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #22
echodave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Metro Detroit-ish
Posts: 55
[chuckle] If you feel like the S3 isn't all it's cracked up to be, do what I did: take the $1,000 you would've spent on the S3 + transfer and buy your wife something sparkly and pretty.

Trust me, you'll enjoy the results better than anything a Tivo can even do for you. It's way better than anything on TV, even on pay channels, even in High Def
echodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #23
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Due to unexpectedly high demand, your memberships are a little slow in processing. You will get a confirmation email by the end of Monday.

But remember, Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$ don't stress, we glide past these 'problems' like seals on an ice flow.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM   #24
brywalker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Torrington, CT
Posts: 166
I'm with you guys.

It's not that $800 is a lot for the device. It's that $800 is a lot for the device that after 91 days if the hard disk fails....you are basically out $800.

Too much money to put too much faith in a part that *WILL* fail.

OTOH, if they leased them like cable companies for like $20/mo with service fee included, I would do it in a second. That way if it bailed out, I would get another one right away like cable. Crap, I would go as high as $30 a month without a care in the world.
__________________
Hughes HDVR2 109 hours w/4.01b
brywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #25
Rolander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 24
Heh, I went over to Best Buy and got a new S2 DT instead, I got the open box $84 plus $190 rebate discount.
Rolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #26
MickeS
Registered User
 
MickeS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 25,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brywalker
I'm with you guys.

It's not that $800 is a lot for the device. It's that $800 is a lot for the device that after 91 days if the hard disk fails....you are basically out $800.

Too much money to put too much faith in a part that *WILL* fail.

OTOH, if they leased them like cable companies for like $20/mo with service fee included, I would do it in a second. That way if it bailed out, I would get another one right away like cable. Crap, I would go as high as $30 a month without a care in the world.
A hard disk failing is the least of my worries. $100 and you're back in business.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #27
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
A hard disk failing is the least of my worries. $100 and you're back in business.
$80 and you're talkin' 300GB
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #28
MediaLivingRoom
Registered User
 
MediaLivingRoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,233
http://www.pricewatch.com/hard_drives/766911-1.htm

WD2500BS


Serial ATA 250GB 16mb cost only about $75 to 90!!!

Why does it still cost so much for the S3 hard drives of that size are cheap.
__________________
May11-1.961 Million User
Jan11-2.049
Oct10-2.272
Jul10-2.384
Jul09-3.050
Jul08-3.623
Jul07-4.197
Jul06-4.418
July 2005 Tom Rogers was named CEO – A new leader is needed!!!

Last edited by MediaLivingRoom : 09-18-2006 at 03:47 AM.
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #29
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaLivingRoom
Why does it still cost so much for the S3 hard drives of that size are cheap.
To contemplate this is to contemplate the meaning of our existence.



Bonus Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$' feature:

500GB hard drives on $pecial for $80 end of year. :Ohmmmmmmmm:
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #30
classicX
Don't scream.
 
classicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Miles away from ordinary.
Posts: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaLivingRoom
Yes, I want a Series 3 TiVo for $599 (after double coupon days) and $199 lifetime transfer with TTG and MRV working and ESATA. I'll pay $30-50 for 4 to 5 year warranty. No Tax and Free Shipping.
Why not throw in parallel hard drives and 4 tuners (recording 4 shows at once). And oh, I'd like it to have a little skillet on the time that heats up and I can make breakfast while I watch TV too. And how about...

...

Now THAT'S a wishlist!
__________________
...and now I'll go back and read the thread.
classicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |