TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
magnum68

Saying Good Bye to me Series 3

I have decided to get rid of my Tivo Series 3. I have a couple reasons why:

1) Comcast was never able to get it working with thier cable cards after a couple of visits and going through at least seven CCs. They just kept on saying that the CCs were bad. Yeah right!

2) I'm tired of getting hooked on a good TV show and then have it cancelled because the networks say that the ratings have dropped. Truth is, it's cheaper to make Reality shows that bite.

So I just don't feel like it's worth keeping anymore. I guess it's time to put it on ebay. Does anybody feel the same?
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
RonDawg

I'm not quite sure how these issues are TiVo's fault.

As far as 1. if you simply go back to Comcast's analog service, there will never be any incentive for them to improve their service. If my cable operator forced me into this position, they will no longer get my business. I will go over to U-verse or satellite instead, even if it means giving up TiVo.

As far as 2. I actually find myself watching less TV then I used to before the S3/THD. I used to be an avid fan of Discovery HD Theatre, when they had decent documentaries and fresh programming. Even though I am having issues being able to tune it (and I don't have time to wait for the cable guy to show up to fix it), I actually don't miss it all that much. But my THD does give me the option to more carefully choose my programming over a larger range of channels, rather than just putting up with what I can get on analog or OTA.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Michael Gwynn

7 bad cards in a row? try once more, but call tivo when the installer arrives.

explain about 7 prev bad cards, and they will work with the installer.

as for your other complaint... get used to it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
bkdtv

You got a bad installer. It happens, regardless of provider. But I see you've had especially bad luck with several visits.

Did you make sure they followed the directions included with the TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum68
2) I'm tired of getting hooked on a good TV show and then have it cancelled because the networks say that the ratings have dropped. Truth is, it's cheaper to make Reality shows that bite.
Many record an entire season of a show, and then don't watch any of it until they hear it will be renewed. With an upgraded or expanded TiVo with dozens of hours of HD storage, this is easy to do.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum68 View Post

So I just don't feel like it's worth keeping anymore. I guess it's time to put it on ebay. Does anybody feel the same?
looks like the cavemen show has been canceled. But carpoolers will be on in a week Carpoolers is the funnest new tv show i seen.

I dont watch reality shows eather I want escape from reality
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gwynn View Post
7 bad cards in a row? try once more, but call tivo when the installer arrives.

explain about 7 prev bad cards, and they will work with the installer.

as for your other complaint... get used to it.

You didn't make the connection. Apparently he doesn't want to "get used to it". Hence the selling of his Tivos. Grow up.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
You didn't make the connection. Apparently he doesn't want to "get used to it". Hence the selling of his Tivos. Grow up.
"Grow up" might be better advice for the OP, since he took the time to come onto the Tivo Community website (a website dedicated to Tivo) to:

(1) say he was leaving (always a topic that draws lots of sympathy here); and
(2) blame the networks for canceling shows.

Last edited by TexasAg : 12-30-2007 at 02:19 PM.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
uw69

Quote:

1) Comcast was never able to get it working with thier cable cards after a couple of visits and going through at least seven CCs. They just kept on saying that the CCs were bad. Yeah right!

Please PM me on price for your S3!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
magnum68

OK guys, I'm going to try it one more time. I'm going to schedule another Comcast visit to see if they can get it working with their CCs. Of course I'm going to request that they send someone with Tivo experience, which I did the last time, then if the tech can't get it going I'll do the 3 way calling with tivo and comcast. I'll just hope for the best. Any tips from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
magnum68
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Gregor

Quote:
OK guys, I'm going to try it one more time. I'm going to schedule another Comcast visit to see if they can get it working with their CCs. Of course I'm going to request that they send someone with Tivo experience, which I did the last time, then if the tech can't get it going I'll do the 3 way calling with tivo and comcast. I'll just hope for the best. Any tips from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
magnum68
Here's a couple links to help out:

Installing Cable Cards

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...chor=undefined

Troubleshooting CableCard:

Edited to add: you might also ask the tech to check your signal level. Cable cards can be fussy about low signal levels or those with a low signal-to-noise ratio.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #11
Michael Gwynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post

i made the connection... friend

the disconnect appears to be that he'll also have to sell his tv too, if he's still mad at the network programmers.

maybe i misunderstood him... i'll go re-read his original post.

btw, i'll never grow up!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 AM   #12
Devx

Quote:

Thanks,
magnum68
1. I'm glad you haven't given up. Stay on top of Comcast! Sometimes I think they want people to quit. I'm sure they'd rather you accept their DVR box instead which could make you lose an entire seasons worth of shows just because the box decided to deactivate itself. Don't put up with that crap, it's not even worth it.

2. Think of this. By giving up on those shows that you like, you've actually made the problem worse in a sense. That's one less person watching the good stuff and shifts the ratings ratio towards more of the reality stuff you hate. It adds up, spread the word about new shows that you like to others. The networks are really panicky about new show ratings. Sometimes it seems they barely give people time to discover new shows. Everyone isn't waiting around their TV's and on the internet looking for new TV shows all day.

It's rare but canceled shows do rise from the grave. Just look at Family Guy on FOX, which some find quite offensive but it's back on the air anyway as one of their Sunday night staples.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
lethcoeb
Not a new member

Actually, seven bad cards is not unreasonable with Comcast - when I did my self install, I made sure I had 8 in hand to ensure that I had at least two which worked...
(Retired) TiVo Series 2
TiVo owner since March 2002
lethcoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethcoeb View Post
Actually, seven bad cards is not unreasonable with Comcast - when I did my self install, I made sure I had 8 in hand to ensure that I had at least two which worked...
I have 4 good cards out of 4. Getting the right pairing information, well, that's another story.

Last edited by pl1 : 01-04-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: sp
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
sender_name
XM 202!

even though there is a lull right now in new programming, I LOVE the series 3 for sports...2 college football games in hd at a time...NFL playoffs, Hockey...I love it
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #16
magnum68

Hi guys, I haven't called Comcast to try the set up the CCs yet but I will very soon. I even bought a new Series 3 today off ebay and the seller only lives about 20 miles from my house so he delivered it to me in person. It was a brand new UNOPENED Series 3, you know the first HD DVR that Tivo came out with. Now I have two of them and I can't wait to get them working with the CCs. I'll keep you guys posted.

magnum68
Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
tcj

Similar experience. Although, it really isn't Tivo's or Comcast's fault.

I had a similar experience. Although, it really isn't Tivo's or Comcast's fault.

I went through six cards and Comcast had to make three trips out. Yes, it was a bit frustrating.

Since you've been trying for a while, when you call, ask for the Escalation Department right away. If you are not connected, or if they donít know what you are talking about, ask for the Retention Department.

Yes, you will have to explain the story for the ump-teenth time. However, it is worth it.

You will enjoy a whole new level of customer service. Their entire job is to keep you as a customer and make you happy. And they are very nice. I'm thankful that Comcast has such a department.

Ask Comcast for a Comcast Staff Tech to come out and not a subcontractor at this point. The staff tech is more likely to have cards that will work.

It really isn't Comcast's or TiVo's fault regarding the cable cards. We all tend to forget that the cable cards themselves are not manufactured by either company.

My cards were by Scientific Atlanta. I'm guessing there are others.

Currently, there is no standard, resulting in compatibility issues.

Say what?

What I mean is that there aren't cable cards made specifically for TiVo. Yes, some will work but as you and I've both experienced, it is hit or miss.

I know, where else would they use the cable cards, you may be asking?

For example, they are also used with high end TVs that can take cable cards directly. There are other applications as well I'm sure.

I was informed that the cable card makers are working to update the cards to a two-way platform versus the one-way state currently employed.

This would solve the majority of the compatibility issues.

Additionally, we should be able to use the ON DEMAND service. This service requires info sent FROM our TiVo boxes.

Presently, it is only one way as the data/info/essence is coming TO our TiVo boxes.

Anyway, hopes that helps and clears up a few things.

Thanks for posting.

TCJ
tcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcj View Post
I was informed that the cable card makers are working to update the cards to a two-way platform versus the one-way state currently employed.

This would solve the majority of the compatibility issues.

Additionally, we should be able to use the ON DEMAND service. This service requires info sent FROM our TiVo boxes.

Presently, it is only one way as the data/info/essence is coming TO our TiVo boxes.
You could stick an updated CableCard in your Tivo and you would still not get two-way services such as VOD or PPV. The Tivo box itself cannot support two-way communications using the CableCards. That's why Tivo is working on the USB "dongle" to support SDV. Even then, the dongle wouldn't support VOD or PPV. You'll have to wait for the S4 to get on-demand stuff.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #19
magnum68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Here's a couple links to help out:

Installing Cable Cards

Troubleshooting CableCard:

Edited to add: you might also ask the tech to check your signal level. Cable cards can be fussy about low signal levels or those with a low signal-to-noise ratio.
Today I returned the Comcast's DVR in person. It felt good doing that. That box starting freezing on me for the past few days. When I got home I called Comcast's 800 number to have one of their techs install the CCs in one of my S3s. They'll be here on Jan 15th. I specifically requested not to send any sub-contractors, to please send a Comcast tech with Tivo experience and to have that tech bring more than two CCs. I'm going to have my laptop next to my S3 so that the tech can view Tivo's help section about installing CCs, thanks Gregor for the links, and hope that it all will go well. Can someone here post the Tivo phone # that's used for 3 way calls when there is a problem with the CCs?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
mchief
Morey

Since you have never stated where you are, it is difficult to help you with the local Comcast. It seems most have had problems with Comcast, areas differ. I had few problems once I got the phone number of the guy in the headend.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #21
magnum68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Since you have never stated where you are, it is difficult to help you with the local Comcast. It seems most have had problems with Comcast, areas differ. I had few problems once I got the phone number of the guy in the headend.

I live in Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
I feel confident that it's going to work this time.