TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #421
ugadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Is there a part number, etc, on the M-card?
Motorola PN: 514517-002-00
Barcode SKU: 12572 14271

Good luck!
ugadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #422
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog
Motorola PN: 514517-002-00
Barcode SKU: 12572 14271

Good luck!
Many, many thanks!

Now hopefully the tech who scheduled the appointment will call me back so I can give him this information.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #423
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Well, I've already got a couple of beefs with the Tivo HD. Tuner quality, at least on the analogs doesn't appear to be as good as the Motorola box it is replacing.
Strange... the tuner quality in my TiVo S3 was just as good as that in my Motorola box.

Quote:
Additionally the UI is very very slow.
That's a known issue and is already fixed in a later version of the software, which you'll get later this year.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #424
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

So, ugadog, any update on how the install went? Mine is tomorrow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #425
scotte3

Insight Columbus

I currently have DirecTV with a HR10-250 high-def Tivo. I'm considering switching to Insight Cable and using a TivoHD with cablecards. The rep I talked to told me they use Motorola single-stream cards. She told me the monthly charge was $1.99, but I could only get one card. Was getting a second card dependent on also using one of their cable boxes? She told me that cablecards support on-demand and ppv, but there is no onscreen guide. Can you confirm that this is the case? Would there be any reason why a cable box would be needed in addition to a TivoHD? When I asked if she could check and see what they have done with other customers using a TivoHD she told me she wasn't aware of any current customers using one.

On a related topic, if you have Insight Phone and/or RoadRunner would you comment on your opinions of them? I currently have AT&T phone/DSL. I'm located in Lewis Center (Columbus) Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownzero
I ordered my cablecards today from Insight. The rep on the phone (who was very nice!) had to put me on hold for a minute to check on the pricing (the first is free and the second is $1.99 if I keep my existing box). She asked if I was putting these in my TV's and I said no, it was for a Tivo HD and she says that they haven't done many of those but she was familiar with it. Hopefully that bodes well for the install on Monday. Also, since we're only talking about $1.99 extra a month, I'm going to keep the cable company DVR. It's not enough of a savings to get rid of it plus the thought of recording 4 HD streams at once gives me the warm and fuzzies.

scotte3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #426
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte3
I currently have DirecTV with a HR10-250 high-def Tivo. I'm considering switching to Insight Cable and using a TivoHD with cablecards. The rep I talked to told me they use Motorola single-stream cards. She told me the monthly charge was $1.99, but I could only get one card. Was getting a second card dependent on also using one of their cable boxes? She told me that cablecards support on-demand and ppv, but there is no onscreen guide. Can you confirm that this is the case? Would there be any reason why a cable box would be needed in addition to a TivoHD? When I asked if she could check and see what they have done with other customers using a TivoHD she told me she wasn't aware of any current customers using one.

On a related topic, if you have Insight Phone and/or RoadRunner would you comment on your opinions of them? I currently have AT&T phone/DSL. I'm located in Lewis Center (Columbus) Ohio.
Cable cards don't support On Demand. You can do PPV in that you can call them on the phone, order PPV and then manually tune the Tivo in to the channel that they are sending the PPV on. At least that's how it should work.

You can definitely get two cable cards. Simply tell them that it's a Tivo Series 3 and that it takes two cable cards so that it can tune two different channels.

It sounds like you got a rep who doesn't know much about cablecard.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #427
URPREY
Closet TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte3

I have a Series 3 on Insight with dual cable cards. I also have a TiVo HD but Insight blew off the appointment to install them last week.

You can definitely get 2 cards from them for each unit. They swore up and down that it wasn't compatible with "their" cable cards, but it works. The only annoying thing is that my S3's cable cards lose authorization after an S3 reboot, requiring me to physically eject the cards and reinsert them one at a time. I installed a UPS so that shouldn't be an issue any longer, but it still sucks.

I have another appointment on Friday to have the TiVo HD cards installed. The S3 install took 5 trips for them to get it right (they were putting the wrong numbers into their system).

As stated above, their is no support in the TiVo for PPV or On Demand (I use neither, so it didn't bother me).

Hope all goes well with your install.

BTW, I have had Insight phone service for about 3-4 years and it works very well.
URPREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #428
holligl

Went ahead and pulled the trigger with the CC $40 off.

My major setup difficulties were with the Onkyo 804 I am routing it through (too many a/v connections/options). By the time I got the Audio and Video both working, and entered my card info for service activation, TiVo took their site down for maintenance. So close...

Comment on the cables provided:
Telephone - how quaint! (like how many more of these do I need?) Why not throw in the ethernet cable instead!
Composite cables - Closer, but then you see the standard RCA A/V for audio, no digital audio (optical)
What I really could have used was a single HDMI for both the Video and Digital Audio.
2x Comcast M-card, HDMI & Composite
holligl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #429
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligl

Comment on the cables provided:
Telephone - how quaint! (like how many more of these do I need?) Why not throw in the ethernet cable instead!
Composite cables - Closer, but then you see the standard RCA A/V for audio, no digital audio (optical)
What I really could have used was a single HDMI for both the Video and Digital Audio.
The only thing I've ever recieved an optical audio cable with in the box is my Onkyo DVD changer.

I think they are still boxing what they do because it's enough to get people up and running.

If they included just an HDMI cable many people wouldn't be able to use it.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #430
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Well, I've already got a couple of beefs with the Tivo HD. Tuner quality, at least on the analogs doesn't appear to be as good as the Motorola box it is replacing.

Additionally the UI is very very slow. I remember the menu on my DirecTiVo box being a lot snappier.

The guide software on my Motorola box is definitely quicker, a lot quicker than the Tivo.

The primary reason I am making the move to the Tivo is expandable storage (I've already bought a 500GB drive for it) and hopefully more stability as the Moto box has complained about being full a few times (when it wasn't) and not taping a program.

Once the cablecards are in place, and the system has guide data set it will be faster then it is initially.

I had my Comcast DVR for about 2 months, that was all I could take, the release of the TiVo HD was all I needed to return to TiVo.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #431
TerryTT

Thanks to posts on this forum I was able to upgrade my new TivoHD to a 750gb drive last night; 98hrs of HD is a couple more than the awful comcast box it replaces.
TerryTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #432
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTT
Thanks to posts on this forum I was able to upgrade my new TivoHD to a 750gb drive last night; 98hrs of HD is a couple more than the awful comcast box it replaces.
I'm a little bit jealous...

Of course, after taking two days of Comcrap visits just to get it working (finally!), I'm not going to touch it for a while...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #433
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I bought one two days ago and have it set up. The card install is next Thursday since we are away on vacation starting Satruday. I have noticed two things that worry me.

When I try to permanently delete something it doesn't seem to work reliably. Nothing happens most of the time but after many attemps the thing goes away. This is not a big deal assuming it doesn't mean something is wrong with the unit.

The thing that worries me a lot
: I lost the picture at one point ending up with a gray screen. I could see the menu text over the gray but nothing else. No live TV, no recordings, nothing was ever visable except the menu text (now playing etc.) I finally reset the unit and have not had it completely go gray again. (I do nocite that I get gray screens fairly often when doing stuff - between menu changes etc. Is this normal?)

This makes me wonder if I should quickly exchange it for another today before I leave and get cable cards installed in it the next day I am home.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #434
kaczmar2

TiVo HD - Comast (Royal Oak, MI) - Dual Trunk

I have Comcast cable and live in Royal Oak, MI. In my area, Comcast as a two-trunk (A+B) system - that is, I have two coax inputs. One trunk carries digital, one carries analog.

My current setup:

I have an HDTV with a CableCARD installed in the TV, but I only pay for analog service. Since Comcast is required to supply broadcast (ABC, CBS, NBC) HD channels, I get those for free by connecting the digital trunk of my cable to my TV, and I can see the broadcast channels, which are on a different input from my Series2 TiVo - so I can watch in HD, but not record it.

I have my Series2 TiVo connected to the analog trunk of my cable, so I can record all my channels in SD.

Clear as mud, right?

So my question is - can I get a TiVo HD to work with this mess? I don't want to buy an HD or digital tier package from Comcast - I'm fine with the only broadcast channels in HD, but I would like to get the HD DVR so I can record in HD on the broadcast channels, and SD everywhere else.

Does anyone have an HD TiVo running on a two-trunk cable system?
kaczmar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #435
jsmiley125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock
When I try to permanently delete something it doesn't seem to work reliably. Nothing happens most of the time but after many attemps the thing goes away.
In my experience, this just sometimes takes a minute or two... but if it's taking longer and does it every single time, that seems odd.

Quote:

The thing that worries me a lot
: I lost the picture at one point ending up with a gray screen. I could see the menu text over the gray but nothing else. No live TV, no recordings, nothing was ever visable except the menu text (now playing etc.) I finally reset the unit and have not had it completely go gray again. (I do nocite that I get gray screens fairly often when doing stuff - between menu changes etc. Is this normal?)
You are the only other person who has described this problem, other than myself. Of course, I may just have missed other threads about it. What you describe has happend to me twice; each time, I had to reboot the TiVo to get it working again. I've also noticed that I will sometimes get grey screens on all my analog channels after the TiVo has been idle for a long time, like 7 or 8 hours. --That is, not recording, me not watching it, nothing happening at all; and ONLY on analog channels. Digital are all fine. Again, to fix it, I have to reboot the TiVo. I've kinda been hoping it was a glitch that will work itself out or TiVo will come out with another software fix. The truth? I've been too busy to return the box.

But if any grey screens appear again, the thing is going back to Best Buy. Pronto.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #436
Langree
The Gimp

Comming from a DTV TiVo, I gotta say I love that there's a record light for each tuner.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #437
humperdinck

I've also had the gray screen problem. Menu text was fine, no menu backgrounds, no video. Reboot fixed it.
humperdinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #438
fishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humperdinck
I've also had the gray screen problem. Menu text was fine, no menu backgrounds, no video. Reboot fixed it.
I just set mine up tonight and had the same thing happen. I didn't look to see if live tv still worked because I was preparing it to recieve the latest update before the Comcast guy comes tomorrow with the Cablecards, so I just reboot the machine and it's worked so far. But, it hasn't run for 24 hours yet.

I can't remember where I saw this before, but I think I remember someone saying that this issue is related to pausing a program for an extended period of time and then the Tivo seems to do weird things. I can't recall if I had paused Live TV or not, so I can't confirm this. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case any of you decide you want to search for the issue in the forum (or others).
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #439
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
Comming from a DTV TiVo, I gotta say I love that there's a record light for each tuner.
But it doesn't come on in standby like the S3 does. I hope they address that in the future.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #440
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
But it doesn't come on in standby like the S3 does. I hope they address that in the future.
I never put it in standby, never did with my dtivo either.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #441
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
I never put it in standby, never did with my dtivo either.
I put it in standby 95% of the time.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #442
btwyx
Substantive Member

If you're in standby a emergency broadcast system test won't cancel a recording. That's a good reason to use standby, particularly when there's a European Grand Prix (Formula 1) on. I lost part of one of those when they tested the EBS at 5am.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #443
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
If you're in standby a emergency broadcast system test won't cancel a recording. That's a good reason to use standby, particularly when there's a European Grand Prix (Formula 1) on. I lost part of one of those when they tested the EBS at 5am.
My S3 continues to record when there is a test. I just can't access any menus or change the channel during the test but both tuners continue to record during and after the test here.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #444
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
My S3 continues to record when there is a test.
Unless this has changed recently, mine doesn't. And I assume the behaviour would be the same on the HD.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #445
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think it depends on how the test is implemented. I'm just glad the few times I noticed the test when I was recording that it didn't affect my recordings. WHether it stays like that or not I don't know.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #446
platbr

We just added a Tivo HD to our media setup today, and overall we're pretty happy. We're with Comcast, dual cable cards, and we're receiving all the basic + premium channels without any problems.

However, there is one issue that is slightly frustrating. When I pull up the grid guide or the Tivo guide (or even the on-screen information), there is "stutter" in the sound with every press of the remote that changes something on the screen. It's kind of annoying -- I find myself muting if I'm using the guide.

Is this a standard Series 3 "feature?" Could it be the optical sound I'm running? Any thoughts? A search didn't turn up any similar problems...
platbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #447
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Can you switch between the two tuners while watching 'live' TV? I found this to be pretty handy with the Comcast box under some circumstances. Do you have any control over which receiver you are watching or even any knowledge of it?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #448
arainert

I've got a strange situation (Tivo HD) after wrangling with the Time Warner Cable (Brooklyn) folks for a total of probably 4 hours yesterday.

Cable Card 1 is Authorized though getting no ECMs,etc.

Cable Cards 2 is Authorized, getting ECMs and generally flying high

When just watching TV everything is great. All the channels come in, etc but when I try to RECORD AND WATCH, I get a black screen.

My guess is that Card 1 is not setup properly and not pulling in any of my channels.

Any thoughts on what I can do about this?

Thanks so much,

alex
arainert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #449
jrm01

Quote:
Can you switch between the two tuners while watching 'live' TV? I found this to be pretty handy with the Comcast box under some circumstances. Do you have any control over which receiver you are watching or even any knowledge of it?
You can switch between the tuners by hitting the Live TV button.

You can also see what is playing on the other tuner by hitting the Right Arrow button (next to select), the toggle down two positions. It will tell you what is on the other tuner and give you the option to change to it.

You can find out which tuner you are using by going to Account&System Info => Diagnostics and it will give you info about both tuners & cablecards, including the channel that is tuned to each.

You cannot control which tuner will be used (without a lot of game playing by forcing a recording on one and then tuning the other).
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #450
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
You can switch between the tuners by hitting the Live TV button.

You can also see what is playing on the other tuner by hitting the Right Arrow button (next to select), the toggle down two positions. It will tell you what is on the other tuner and give you the option to change to it.

You can find out which tuner you are using by going to Account&System Info => Diagnostics and it will give you info about both tuners & cablecards, including the channel that is tuned to each.

You cannot control which tuner will be used (without a lot of game playing by forcing a recording on one and then tuning the other).
Thanks! I tried looking in the user guide but the index didn't mention anything about tuner switching or even tuners.