Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #361
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brermike
Thanks for the reply but I am not having any problems with tuning channels, but rather the actual Tivo menu screens. They are much slower in transitioning compared to my DT S2. Also, the find programs by keyword can be slow, too. I don't know if this is normal for this particular box or not. I assume a software upgrade will fix it since Tivo is pretty good about those things but thought I would inquire.
That problem was fixed in the latest S3 software, which the HD does not have yet.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM   #362
brermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
That problem was fixed in the latest S3 software, which the HD does not have yet.
Great, thanks! I figured it was a software thing to be fixed. I still love my Tivo HD and will await a software update.
brermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #363
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac88
Actually, you are paying for the possibility of problems (which is quite high). My TWC tech came out today and it was a total failure through eight cards. From what I understand, these problems happen more often than not, which is why they are requiring tech visits.
If they actually tested the cards before putting them into service, that sort of thing wouldn't be needed. There are credible stories around that when a card fails it just goes back into inventory. So after a while the only cards you have in inveentory are bad cards.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #364
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
If they actually tested the cards before putting them into service, that sort of thing wouldn't be needed. There are credible stories around that when a card fails it just goes back into inventory. So after a while the only cards you have in inveentory are bad cards.
Yeah, but if they actually tested the cards before putting them into service, they couldn't get customers so frustrated that they just give up and go with whatever the cable company offers them.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #365
ldc3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmaan
"An ethernet cable to your router is enough"

Hmmm. That raises another question. I use the High Speed 200mbps "suitable for video streaming" version of Homeplug to network through my house wiring. So instead of the Wireless G, couldn't I just use Homeplug? Another Homeplug adapter would cost me $78. Not that much more than Tivo's Wireless G adapter and probably faster.
If you don't mind me asking who the manufacturer of your Homeplug adapter. I'm thinking about switching over to wired for my Tivos and was looking for suggestions on this type of product.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #366
winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc3000
Thanks for the heads up . I bought two from them last week and will be their first thing tomorrow for the refund. The prices dropped on these quicker on than I think any of unexpected.
Good luck, looks like it was a one-day sale, the price is back to $299 today.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #367
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter
Good luck, looks like it was a one-day sale, the price is back to $299 today.
Well at least I jumped on the deal just in time.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #368
cr33p

Damn, I was so going to buy another unit, looks like I was too slow this time
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #369
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
TivoHD Advantages
  • MSRP is $500 less ($299 vs $799)
  • TivoHD has ~7% faster CPU (450 MIPS vs 420 MIPS)
  • TivoHD has twice the system memory (256MB vs 128MB)
  • Supports MCARDs out of the box.
  • Newer QAM/VSB demodulation chips for potentially improved OTA reception.
  • New, dedicated hardware for MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 SD->SD and HD->SD transcoding
    • Could allow HD->SD MRV with older Series2 Tivos
    • Could allow TivoToGo and MRV to support content flagged as "copy one generation" (via downres)
    • Could allow Tivo to use TivoToGo and MRV to record and stream content for which they cannot obtain Cable Labs approval to pass (via down-res)
    • Could allow place-shifting like Slingbox (thanks megazone)
    • Real-time transcoding could eliminate the need to do it in software, reducing the licensing fees for the Tivo Desktop software.
  • Consumes less power.
I find the above possibilities (bolded my me) to be pretty interesting. Since this is due to the dedicated hardware (exclusive to the TiVoHD) then can we assume we the S3 wouldn't be able to get feature parity? Or is it feasible for some of it to be handled by software?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #370
jazmaan

Got mine home. All set up with zero issues. Cablecards coming on Monday.
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #371
jazmaan

I was able to get the $6.95/month rate thanks to my 2001 Lifetime set. I mentioned that some people here thought channel changing was too slow and the CSR I spoke with said that Tivo reads these boards and that I could expect a software update "soon".
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #372
ugadog

Just got a Tivo HD from Circuit City yesterday. No cable cards yet, but I connected it to the same TV (Samsung 46Ē LCD 1080p) as the old Tivo S2 box that it will replace. With both boxes connected, I suddenly noticed that the recording quality of the new box with the same analog channel absolutely blew away the old box (both set to highest quality)! I had always been a little disappointed at the grainy recording quality of the Tivo S2, even with the highest setting. It seems that the HD box also has a much improved analog video encoder than the S2, which will be nice for the non-HD channels.

On a sour note, I was disappointed that the wireless adapter I had used with the S2 was not recognized by the HD box. Guess Iíll have to spend another $59 on the official Tivo brand adapter. I donít like such proprietary tactics, especially from a company who built their product using an open source operating system.
ugadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #373
DonRoeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog
On a sour note, I was disappointed that the wireless adapter I had used with the S2 was not recognized by the HD box. Guess Iíll have to spend another $59 on the official Tivo brand adapter. I donít like such proprietary tactics, especially from a company who built their product using an open source operating system.
I was also disappointed, but at least they do say up front that if you want wireless, you need to use their adapter. I bought theirs, and it was really quite simple to use.

It's really their best answer to the constantly changing market of wireless adapters. I remember hunting to get a specific revision of linksys adapter for my old series 2. After awhile linksys moved on, and their newer products weren't compatible with the tivo, so I can imagine how frustrated the average consumer was.
DonRoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #374
rainwater

Quote:
The problem with using Linux is getting drivers to work with wireless usb adapters is very difficult. I don't believe TiVo did this to make money off the adapters, but to quit wasting time trying to keep up with driver development that is very slow on Linux since vendors are not providing any help.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #375
aindik

You can use third party wireless-ethernet bridges if you don't want to buy the TiVo branded wireless USB adapter and you don't want to rely on TiVo to provide drivers or support new security standards (should they develop).

Buffalo makes a wireless ethernet bridge with four ethernet ports, and it sells for $52 or less online. Useful if you have more than one ethernet-enabled device in your home theater setup (say, a TiVoHD and an Xbox360) and you want them all to connect to an existing wireless network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162168
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #376
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
You can use third party wireless-ethernet bridges if you don't want to buy the TiVo branded wireless USB adapter and you don't want to rely on TiVo to provide drivers or support new security standards (should they develop).

Buffalo makes a wireless ethernet bridge with four ethernet ports, and it sells for $52 or less online. Useful if you have more than one ethernet-enabled device in your home theater setup (say, a TiVoHD and an Xbox360) and you want them all to connect to an existing wireless network.

That's correct, pretty much any 3rd party wireless bridge should work with the Tivo if you are willing to program it from a PC then move it to your Tivo.

If you're economically minded, many of the slower 802.11b wireless bridges(or "gaming adapters") can now be picked up from eBay for $20 or less.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #377
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik

Thanks for that tip!

I was going to buy 2 TiVo wireless adapters, one for my Series 2 and one for the Series 3, but this will be a lot cheaper.

Of course, the benefit of the Wireless adapter is that it doesn't need an external power source... so the number of cables would be reduced...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #378
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Thanks for that tip!

I was going to buy 2 TiVo wireless adapters, one for my Series 2 and one for the Series 3, but this will be a lot cheaper.

Of course, the benefit of the Wireless adapter is that it doesn't need an external power source... so the number of cables would be reduced...
The Series 2 (if it's not a Series 2 DT) doesn't have an ethernet port. You'll need a USB-Ethernet adapter for that. But those are fairly cheap.

Here's a link to a compatibility list:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...chor=undefined
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #379
ugadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
The problem with using Linux is getting drivers to work with wireless usb adapters is very difficult. I don't believe TiVo did this to make money off the adapters, but to quit wasting time trying to keep up with driver development that is very slow on Linux since vendors are not providing any help.
Yes, you are correct that Tivo is not in the ďdriver developmentĒ business and I am sure that caused them plenty of headaches. However, for them to remove support for a device that was working fine in a previous version of their product will not save them any time. It will only create frustrated customers. Rather than remove the device support, they could have left it there and stated that the Tivo brand is the only one that they officially support. I.E. Ė try another brand at your own risk and donít call us if it doesnít work.

Although the driver development problems may be a major factor in the decision, it is naÔve to believe that the financial aspect of capitalizing on a captive customer base was not factored in as well.

The wireless Ethernet bridge option is an interesting alternative that I hadnít thought about. But with the huge glob of wires and cables I already have behind the TV, I think I will keep it simple and just go with the Tivo adapter.
ugadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #380
CharlesH

Quote:
However, for them to remove support for a device that was working fine in a previous version of their product will not save them any time. It will only create frustrated customers. Rather than remove the device support, they could have left it there and stated that the Tivo brand is the only one that they officially support. I.E. Ė try another brand at your own risk and donít call us if it doesnít work.
The problem is that the adapter vendors move on to new newer versions, leaving the TiVo with drivers for versions of adapters no longer on the market. Rather than trying to keep up, and having to deal with frustrated customers who got the right model but wrong version (even if they tell tell them that they don't support them any more), they only put in a driver for their own adapter, and tested the *** out of it. And the S3 required major low-level software changes from the S2, so I can see why they chose to not even attempt to "port" the possibly obsolete drivers to the S3.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #381
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
The problem is that the adapter vendors move on to new newer versions, leaving the TiVo with drivers for versions of adapters no longer on the market. Rather than trying to keep up, and having to deal with frustrated customers who got the right model but wrong version (even if they tell tell them that they don't support them any more), they only put in a driver for their own adapter, and tested the *** out of it. And the S3 required major low-level software changes from the S2, so I can see why they chose to not even attempt to "port" the possibly obsolete drivers to the S3.
And (lets face it) a little extra change in your pocket doesn't hurt when you're struggling to make a profit either!

The typical consumer is probably more than happy to shell out the $$ for Tivo's approved adapter, the same way they overpay for wireless adapters for game systems.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #382
crouch

Last I looked (a couple of days ago) Amazon.com was selling the Tivo Wireless G Adapter for $40 (free shipping and no taxes). I can't access Amazon from work to confirm that this price is still in effect.
crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #383
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouch
Last I looked (a couple of days ago) Amazon.com was selling the Tivo Wireless G Adapter for $40 (free shipping and no taxes). I can't access Amazon from work to confirm that this price is still in effect.
$45 with free shipping from Amazon, they have other sellers at $37 but the shipping charges are high.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #384
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

The TiVo HD couldn't have come at a better time. My wife and I just experienced our 3rd incident in 2 months of our Comcast DVR eating itself. And this is the SECOND one we've had in that time period. I've been putting off buying an S3 due to price, but when she called me at work today to tell me the DVR cannibalized my son's favorite shows AGAIN, I headed to tivo.com ready to drop the $$ on an S3. Imagine my surprise when I saw the homepage and the TiVo HD! I'm definitely going to get on this if Comcast pricing is reasonable on the CableCards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #385
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brermike
Thanks for the reply but I am not having any problems with tuning channels, but rather the actual Tivo menu screens. They are much slower in transitioning compared to my DT S2. Also, the find programs by keyword can be slow, too. I don't know if this is normal for this particular box or not. I assume a software upgrade will fix it since Tivo is pretty good about those things but thought I would inquire.
The UI "sluggishness" is the same that was on the S3 at the 8.1 code level and was significantly improved in the 8.3 code level. I suspect when the S3 and THD codes bases merge and we have 8.3+ for the THD boxes, the UI will be much zippier.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #386
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22
The TiVo HD couldn't have come at a better time. My wife and I just experienced our 3rd incident in 2 months of our Comcast DVR eating itself. And this is the SECOND one we've had in that time period. I've been putting off buying an S3 due to price, but when she called me at work today to tell me the DVR cannibalized my son's favorite shows AGAIN, I headed to tivo.com ready to drop the $$ on an S3. Imagine my surprise when I saw the homepage and the TiVo HD! I'm definitely going to get on this if Comcast pricing is reasonable on the CableCards.
First CableCARD is free if you have any Comcast digital package, so if you can get an Mcard, then you are set. If you need a second single stream card, it's $1.50 per month.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #387
chg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouch
I believe that I probably got the last one at that price. After I ordered mine it stated "In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come, first served." with the higher price. Still shows out of stock.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #388
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
First CableCARD is free if you have any Comcast digital package, so if you can get an Mcard, then you are set. If you need a second single stream card, it's $1.50 per month.
See - that's what I keep seeing, but the woman at our local office said they were the same price per month as a regular (non-DVR) digital box...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #389
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22
See - that's what I keep seeing, but the woman at our local office said they were the same price per month as a regular (non-DVR) digital box...
They are, unless they're plugged into your only digital outlet.

First digital outlet (box or cable card): Included with digital package
Additional digital outlets (box or cable card): Additional fee (same fee for both, here it's $8.90 a month)
Second cable card for any outlet: nominal fee (here it's $1.50 a month)

So, if you have a box and a TiVo with cable cards, you're going to pay for the digital package plus the additional outlet fee plus the $1.50 a month for the second card in an outlet.

It's funny that cable companies used to crap on satellite companies in advertising because the sat companies had mirroring fees. So much for that.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #390
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

OK - so if I understand, I would have:

1 digital box in bedroom - included
TiVo in living room - $full price + $1.50

Am I getting this?