Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #331
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
can I just hook this bad boy up to my OTA antenna and record local HD channels correct, just like the HR10-250 ? And will it record 2 at once?
If its as good as the S3, it'll be better than the HR10. It has the same functionality for over the air recording as the HR10, but the tuner they used in the S3 was much better than the HR10 ever was. Moving from an HR10 to the S3 solved all my OTA problems. I could only hope they used as good a tuner in the HD. I haven't heard any one comment on this yet.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #332
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlovesBM
Thank goodness I got the $41 off because then I called Cablevision and asked about the cablecards. What a nightmare. They charge $46.95 just to come out and bring you the cablecards. They don't offer the cards at the local stores so you have to make an appointment to have them delivered to you and configured. I thought the TiVo automatically configures the cards for you?
Here is what "configuring the cards" consists of:

1. Pop in the card.
2. Wait for a screen to come up with some numbers.
3. Read them back to someone over the phone.
4. Profit.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #333
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouch
Any thoughts on the wireless router purchase?
Personally, I ran a CAT5 cable to where the TiVos are. I've nver tried any of the TiVo wireless adapters, but for wireless routers I've always used Apple Airports and never had a problem. (But then I'm biased.)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #334
Angeluv1109

Hooking up HDMI cable

I just received my HD tivo box, and I am hooked up the HDMI cable and I am not getting any volume, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. Thanks
Angeluv1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #335
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine

1. Pop in the card.
4. Profit.
Sometimes they also have to read the number off the card (before they pop it in the box). This seems to be a different, and important number they have to read over the phone.

The truck rolls for cable card installs are the biggest waste of time ever invented.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #336
thepcdoc

I am experiencing a lot of pixelation on both SD and HD channels. Is the box or the cable cards?
thepcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #337
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
If its as good as the S3, it'll be better than the HR10. It has the same functionality for over the air recording as the HR10, but the tuner they used in the S3 was much better than the HR10 ever was. Moving from an HR10 to the S3 solved all my OTA problems. I could only hope they used as good a tuner in the HD. I haven't heard any one comment on this yet.
Yeah the crappy thing is I just recently invested in D* equipment and an HR10 and never even hooked the stuff up, only because I want to record OTA HD locals not so much the other channels but the original s3 was cost prohibitive in that arena. Now with a price of 258.00 art CC you cant beat it. I will just rent out my newest DT tivo to a friend for the monthly service. And scoop up the TivoHD. Now they just need to get TivoComeback working on the unit so I dont have to have an SD tivo in the house to watch downloaded vids with
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #338
Chimpware

Quote:
Thank goodness I got the $41 off because then I called Cablevision and asked about the cablecards. What a nightmare. They charge $46.95 just to come out and bring you the cablecards. They don't offer the cards at the local stores so you have to make an appointment to have them delivered to you and configured. I thought the TiVo automatically configures the cards for you? The good news was that the cards would only cost $1.25 each to use each month. More bad news followed, they can't come and deliver me my cards until next Tuesday!!!! What good is having my TiVo box and not being able to use it!!!!
I can top that, the CSR at the Cablevision store front originally wanted to charge me $93.90 to install 4 cards in 2 Tivo HDs. When I said that was crazy she then told me she was giving me a discount already as they are supposed to charge $46.95 pre card installed (total $125.80 for installation of cards ). I asked to speak with a supervisor and she then told me they would only charge me $46.95 total. Could not believe what they were going to try to charge me.

They are coming tomorrow, hope all goes smooth, but I do not have high hopes.
Chimpware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #339
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpware
I can top that, the CSR at the Cablevision store front originally wanted to charge me $93.90 to install 4 cards in 2 Tivo HDs. When I said that was crazy she then told me she was giving me a discount already as they are supposed to charge $46.95 pre card installed (total $125.80 for installation of cards ). I asked to speak with a supervisor and she then told me they would only charge me $46.95 total. Could not believe what they were going to try to charge me.

They are coming tomorrow, hope all goes smooth, but I do not have high hopes.
I cant belive that they can legally charge anyone anything, we all know that we know more then the tech does as far as the install goes, they should be paying us, and the cable co doesnt charge you to pick up a cable box do they? But they sure do make customers pay when it comes to these cable cards, nice that they are supposed to be to our benifit but it sure hasnt worked out that way, no wonder everyone is trying to abandon them. It a whole bunch of crap.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #340
Illrigger

Got my THD yesterday, and picked up my pair of cablecards from the cable company office on the way home (I was going to get an m-card, but that would have been a tech visit and my wife didn't approve of the cleanliness of the house :P ). There was a $15 activation fee for each card that included a visit to your home if self-install didn't work out. I can't even imagine charging more than that - it took less than 15 minutes to get my cards installed and authorized by the cable company and less than an hour after that, I was up and watching HD programming sans the guide - provisioning took less time than it took the THD to finish its initial software download. $50 per card to read off 20-odd numbers over the phone!?! That's flat-out robbery.
Illrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #341
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p
You should have kindly disconnected the call and called back to speak with someone who knew what they where talking about. The CSR obviously doesnt know anything. Make sure you check that bill immediately. When I purchased the S3 when it first came out Comcast tossed all kinds of stuff on my bill that they didnt even tell me they where going to.
Well, this is the 3rd call that I've made and I'm being told that Comcast must charge me a $7 a month HD upcharge in addition to the charges for the two HD Tivo cards.

There doesn't seem to be any way to get them to set up the installation without getting billed for bogus 2nd outlet charges.

Currently I have an HD DVR from Comcast and a 2nd HD (non DVR) in another room of the house. I pay a rental fee on both boxes and I have Comcast digital (as required for HD service).

They won't budge on this and I've spoken to three agents and a supervisor. What other recourse is there at this point?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #342
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmaan
Still dragging my feet on this - but I did buy a coupon on Ebay that's good until Dec 31.
coupon for who? Just as an FYI it's pretty standard for retailers to cancel coupons that get abused. Circuit City has done it with their $40 off welcome to the neighborhood coupons in the past, for example.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #343
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepcdoc
I am experiencing a lot of pixelation on both SD and HD channels. Is the box or the cable cards?
Probably your signal. Digital cable is much more susceptible to noise than analog.

Checking your cable strength is about the only reason for the cable co's to insist on a truck roll, but it wasn't until the fourth (and final) tech came out to my house that any of them bothered to check (and surprise, it wasn't good enough for digital cable, but was good enough for straight analog).
Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #344
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Well, this is the 3rd call that I've made and I'm being told that Comcast must charge me a $7 a month HD upcharge in addition to the charges for the two HD Tivo cards.
What part of the country are you in?

I just signed up for Triple Play (the $130 a month package) and it was an extra $1.50 for the second cable card. I am charged nothing for HD (watching MTV HD now - they actually play music videos!).
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #345
brermike

Slow Interface

Hi all,

I just purchased a Tivo HD and love it so far. I've already gotten the Comcast cable cards installed and have all my channels. No problems with quality of SD nor HD records. I am much happier than when I had the cable DVR.

However, the guide and interface menus seem to be much slower than compared to my DT S2 box. Also, when searching for a show by title, if I want to scroll through the list, I have to wait 5-10 seconds for the next set of shows. Could this be due to the fact that the guide is still updating with show info (though it has been set up since yesterday)? Or is this just the way it is until a software upgrade? Thanks for any help or advice you all can provide.

Other than that, I am loving Tivo once again!!
brermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #346
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo
What part of the country are you in?

I just signed up for Triple Play (the $130 a month package) and it was an extra $1.50 for the second cable card. I am charged nothing for HD (watching MTV HD now - they actually play music videos!).
I'm in Denver. I finally got a CSR who was very helpful. He still insisted that the $7 a month "2nd outlet fee" for the 2nd cable card was legitimate, but he said he thinks he got it set up so I won't pay that fee.

I have his extension to call him back if things don't work out that way.

Unfortunately no M-cards in my area. This kind of makes me wish I had waited a few months for an M-card though.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #347
DocNo

Quote:

That's the best thing you can do - if you find a knowledgeable CSR, be sure to get their extension!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #348
mike_camden

Quote:
I'm in Denver. I finally got a CSR who was very helpful. He still insisted that the $7 a month "2nd outlet fee" for the 2nd cable card was legitimate, but he said he thinks he got it set up so I won't pay that fee.

Unfortunately no M-cards in my area. This kind of makes me wish I had waited a few months for an M-card though.
I had a similar issue with a group of Comcast reps today. I'm not sure if it was ignorance or if they were intentionally trying to dissuade me from using cable cards (by the way, one told me that an M-stream card would not be released until late 2008 if at all).

To make a long story short, I did a little research while on the phone and found this comcast page (http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ...s.ashx?Id=4115) that details pricing per cable card. When I read the pricing info on the page verbatim and provided the URL to the last rep, it seemed to "spark" her memory. She got her supervisor to give her the correct code to update my account with the correct pricing and schedule an install. I could see how folks (i.e. someone like my wife) would just say the hell with it and stay with the comcrapstic Motorola DVR.
mike_camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #349
jazmaan

Well I couldn't hold out any longer. I bought a Circuit City discounted HD Tivo. My 10% coupon that I bought for $1.50 on Ebay didn't work because the item was already on sale. (That's ok, the coupon is good till the end of the year.)

I called TWC in Santa Monica and made an appointment for them to install two Cablecards. They didn't seem to mind that the cards were for a Tivo. $19.95 installation fee which I couldn't convince them to waive. Plus $1.95 per card per month. The guy at the 800 number seemed to be aware of the M-Card but said TWC doesn't offer M-Cards "yet".

So here's my question. I have a Lifetime Series 1 which does NOT qualify for the Grandfather Special because I started its service in May 2001. (They were having a discount special at the time so I only paid $199 for Lifetime. Those were the days!)

What is the cheapest plan I can get for my new HD Tivo? I'm willing to pay whatever it takes up front to get the absolute cheapest service plan.
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #350
jmpage2

Quote:
Well I couldn't hold out any longer. I bought a Circuit City discounted HD Tivo. My 10% coupon that I bought for $1.50 on Ebay didn't work because the item was already on sale. (That's ok, the coupon is good till the end of the year.)

I called TWC in Santa Monica and made an appointment for them to install two Cablecards. They didn't seem to mind that the cards were for a Tivo. $19.95 installation fee which I couldn't convince them to waive. Plus $1.95 per card per month. The guy at the 800 number seemed to be aware of the M-Card but said TWC doesn't offer M-Cards "yet".

So here's my question. I have a Lifetime Series 1 which does NOT qualify for the Grandfather Special because I started its service in May 2001. (They were having a discount special at the time so I only paid $199 for Lifetime. Those were the days!)

What is the cheapest plan I can get for my new HD Tivo? I'm willing to pay whatever it takes up front to get the absolute cheapest service plan.
3 yrs for $299. They advertise it as 1 year free, basically it works out to a little over $8 per month.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #351
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
3 yrs for $299. They advertise it as 1 year free, basically it works out to a little over $8 per month.
Nope. His lifetime is a qualifying unit, so 3 years monthly would be only $6.95 with the MSD.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #352
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
Nope. His lifetime is a qualifying unit, so 3 years monthly would be only $6.95 with the MSD.
So long as the lifetime unit stays plugged in and phones home to the TiVo service once every 180 days, this is the cheapest plan available. 3 years is $250.20, but you have to pay monthly even though you're agreeing to pay for three years.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #353
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just set up my TiVo HD. How long can I use it before I have to activate it?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #354
jazmaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
So long as the lifetime unit stays plugged in and phones home to the TiVo service once every 180 days, this is the cheapest plan available. 3 years is $250.20, but you have to pay monthly even though you're agreeing to pay for three years.
Can't I pay for the three years in advance at $6.95? (Assuming I keep my 2001 Lifetime box connected too?)
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #355
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Can't I pay for the three years in advance at $6.95? (Assuming I keep my 2001 Lifetime box connected too?)
No, MSD is monthly only. The only alternative is to get a TiVo gift card and activate the unit with it.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 PM   #356
Koan
Nun drum

I have basic Comcast cable hooked directly to my set and get HD locals on "1-" channels (for example, 1-4, 1-8, 1-9, etc.). I also get what I guess are digital SD channels on "0-" numbers. Based on what I read earlier in this thread, it sounds like the Tivo HD probably won't have these channels in the guide data - is this correct? So I would have to get 2 cablecards (no big deal) and upgrade to the digital tier (is a big deal) to schedule recordings?
Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #357
randymac88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine

1. Pop in the card.
4. Profit.
Actually, you are paying for the possibility of problems (which is quite high). My TWC tech came out today and it was a total failure through eight cards. From what I understand, these problems happen more often than not, which is why they are requiring tech visits.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #358
randomsolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brermike

However, the guide and interface menus seem to be much slower than compared to my DT S2 box. Also, when searching for a show by title, if I want to scroll through the list, I have to wait 5-10 seconds for the next set of shows. Could this be due to the fact that the guide is still updating with show info (though it has been set up since yesterday)? Or is this just the way it is until a software upgrade? Thanks for any help or advice you all can provide.
I'm experiencing the exact same problem too. I ordered CableCards in hopes that they will fix my problem. Here and Here are threads talking about the issue you are experiencing.
randomsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #359
brermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomsolutions
I'm experiencing the exact same problem too. I ordered CableCards in hopes that they will fix my problem. Here and Here are threads talking about the issue you are experiencing.
Thanks for the reply but I am not having any problems with tuning channels, but rather the actual Tivo menu screens. They are much slower in transitioning compared to my DT S2. Also, the find programs by keyword can be slow, too. I don't know if this is normal for this particular box or not. I assume a software upgrade will fix it since Tivo is pretty good about those things but thought I would inquire.
brermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM   #360
ldc3000

Quote:
I just ordered my TiVO HD at Circuit City's website which had it $41.00 off the price.

Thanks for the heads up . I bought two from them last week and will be their first thing tomorrow for the refund. The prices dropped on these quicker on than I think any of unexpected.