Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #301
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmaan
gave me a blank stare when I asked about a single Multichannel Cable Card.
She might be justified in the blank stare, what you're looking for is a Multistream Card, or just M-Card. They're all multichannel.

Last time I talked to a Comcast CSR, he knew what an M-Card was (it surprised the heck out of me he even knew what they were) but expected them to be available "soon". By soon I think he said Semptemberish.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #302
knownzero
Seeker

Well, I just got my cablecards installed (single stream) and I'm waiting for the programming info to organize. The install went pretty smoothly, one of the numbers got transposed when it was called in and I kept getting an error message (161-4 I think). After they got that fixed, looks like everything so far is good. I'll reserve final judgement for after the guide data is in and whatnot. Took about 40 minutes total (a little less actually, he gave me a new cable modem since the one I had was ancient). The guy had done a couple of S3's before but he hadn't seen one of these although he insisted that he did one of these a little over a month ago (maybe someone around me was a beta tester?)
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #303
knownzero
Seeker

Ok, so there's an issue and an odd one at that. I noticed after installation of the cable cards that there was some randon pixellation on some of the channels, only happened a couple of times and with no one particular channel. But, I'm in the Channel List setting up my favorites and the *background* of the channel list guide just pixellated for a second. Has anyone seen a background get really pixellated before? It's pattern seems to be almost the exact same spot as when it happened on the channels when I noticed it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #304
WeBoat

I'm noticing pretty heavy pixelation on a lot of channels. After 3 hours today, my install is still not done. I'm getting about 1/3 of the channels I'm supposed to. They are coming back tommorow with new cards.

We'll see.....
WeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #305
jazmaan

Still dragging my feet on this - but I did buy a coupon on Ebay that's good until Dec 31. I want to see how some of you bleeding edge people fare before I jump in.

I am intrigued by the ad copy saying you can "Download thousands of new releases". I presume you need the Wireless G adapter for this? Since Time Warner's On Demand programming won't work with Tivo (from what I've read here), is this feature a good substitute? What do the downloads cost, where do they come from and do they have a good selection of current movies to choose from?
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #306
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmaan
I presume you need the Wireless G adapter for this?
No, an Ethernet cable to your router is enough.

Quote:
What do the downloads cost, where do they come from and do they have a good selection of current movies to choose from?
It varies, Amazon.com, and yes. For more details, look for the threads that mention "Unbox" in the title.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #307
jazmaan

"An ethernet cable to your router is enough"

Hmmm. That raises another question. I use the High Speed 200mbps "suitable for video streaming" version of Homeplug to network through my house wiring. So instead of the Wireless G, couldn't I just use Homeplug? Another Homeplug adapter would cost me $78. Not that much more than Tivo's Wireless G adapter and probably faster.

Also, does the new HD Tivo still have the ability to play your music files and show photos from a networked computer?

Last edited by jazmaan : 07-30-2007 at 09:46 PM.
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #308
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Yes you could use Homeplug. And yes the TiVo HD has music and photos support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #309
shizle

I just bought a second router, a Linksys WRT350n, and relegated my older WRT54GS to my living room. I'm running DD-WRT (a third party firmware) on both routers, and the WRT54GS is in bridged mode and the TIVO and my HD-DVD have been assigned static DHCP ips. Saved me the hassle of wiring, and I wanted to get a draft-n/gigabit router that ran linux anyways!

Cox cable guy is due out tomorrow to install my CC's, can't wait..
shizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 AM   #310
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe
Regarding the 8.3 software update: Is it out already, and will my TiVo auto-grab it? Or will I have to "force the download" on the unit?
In case no one answered this - 8.3 is not out for HD only the S3. When there is new software, Tivo will automatically download it to your box and reboot at 2 am.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #311
rcamille

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but can someone tell me what software version the Tivo HD shipped with? To anyone's knowledge, has there been an update?
rcamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #312
andyw715

TiVo HD and Galleon

I am a current S2 owner (for only about 2 weeks) and decided to return the S2 for the TiVo HD. Does Galleon work well with Tivo HD (specifically goback). How about the other apps?

I searched for "Galleon and Tivo HD" but no results came back.

Thanks for your time.
-AndyWit
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 AM   #313
cgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715
I am a current S2 owner (for only about 2 weeks) and decided to return the S2 for the TiVo HD. Does Galleon work well with Tivo HD (specifically goback). How about the other apps?

I searched for "Galleon and Tivo HD" but no results came back.

Thanks for your time.
-AndyWit
No video transfers to/from any HD boxes. Yet. Maybe before end of year. Other (music/photo) apps should work like others.
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #314
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould
No video transfers to/from any HD boxes. Yet. Maybe before end of year. Other (music/photo) apps should work like others.
Thanks, is that _all_ video files or just .tivo ? (i.e. no transfering my home/personal videos, mpegs, etc)
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #315
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcamille
I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but can someone tell me what software version the Tivo HD shipped with? To anyone's knowledge, has there been an update?
Its some form of 8.1. That just indicates where the development tree branched for the TivoHD (the base code). As far as I can tell, the TivoHD has almost everything feature-wise from 8.3 on the old Series 3 (HD categories in searches, wish lists, program guide, HD folder now kept at the bottom, etc).
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #316
JSlovesBM

I just ordered my TiVO HD at Circuit City's website which had it $41.00 off the price. No need for the $40 off coupon. However, I will bring the coupon to the store tonight and see if they'll honor it and try for an additional $40 off.

Thank goodness I got the $41 off because then I called Cablevision and asked about the cablecards. What a nightmare. They charge $46.95 just to come out and bring you the cablecards. They don't offer the cards at the local stores so you have to make an appointment to have them delivered to you and configured. I thought the TiVo automatically configures the cards for you? The good news was that the cards would only cost $1.25 each to use each month. More bad news followed, they can't come and deliver me my cards until next Tuesday!!!! What good is having my TiVo box and not being able to use it!!!!
JSlovesBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #317
simonkodousek

Question TiVo HD Question

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I have a question about the TiVo HD. Does it support phone lines or just ethernet and USB lines? The reason I am asking is because I don't have a phone line or ethernet line near my TV that I'd like to connect and it is very difficult to get a wireless signal since this room is in a finished basement. I am planning to buy a wireless phone jack system only if TiVo supports phone inputs.

~Thanks!

~ 56" Toshiba DLP (1080p)
~ Yamaha Receiver
~ 5.1 Polk Audio System
~ Denon DVD Player
~ Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR
~ Xbox 360 Premium
~ Harmony 659 Remote
simonkodousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #318
Zaph32

Yes, it supports phone, wifi, or ethernet.
Zaph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #319
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph32
Yes, it supports phone, wifi, or ethernet.
Should note that Wifi requires a seperate adapter.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #320
Balzer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSlovesBM
I just ordered my TiVO HD at Circuit City's website which had it $41.00 off the price.
Thanks for the tip! I purchased from the CC website last week for $299.99. I called them, and they are going to refund the $41 difference to my card "within the next 7 to 14 days".
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #321
Balzer

Smile

To answer my own question...

I received my Tivo HD today, and went online to change the service number from my old Tivo Series1 to the new one, and it accepted the change. So apparently I will keep my $6.95 monthly subscription! I suppose I won't know for sure until my next billing cycle in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer
I purchased an original Phillips Tivo in the fall of 2001, and it has worked great. A few years ago, I started using a Motorola HD DVR from my cable company with my HDTV. When I started using the cable box, I called Tivo to cancel my Tivo service. They said since I was a "good customer", they would lower my monthly rate to $6.95 if I kept the Tivo service. I said sure, since I still use the Tivo in my computer room, as a backup in case I have a 3rd show that I want to record at the same time.

Now that I've ordered a TivoHD, I am wondering if I would be able to transfer that Tivo service to the new DVR, and keep my $6.95 rate...

This is what the FAQ says...

----------
How Do I Transfer My TiVo Service to a New DVR?

You can transfer any service agreement to another TiVo DVR of any make or model at any time.
----------

I will try.

Jeff

Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #322
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND
Should note that Wifi requires a seperate adapter.
And further, it must specifically be the one from TiVo. The Series2 recognizes several WiFi adapters in addition to the TiVo-branded one, but the S3/HD only recognizes the one from TiVo.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #323
crouch

I have an oldtimer-type question for my new Tivo HD.

I still have a standard definition television (gasp) for which I used a coax cable straight into my old Series 1 before it died last week. I am wondering if there is a way to configure the Tivo HD using standard coaxial cable and my tv to take advantage of its dual tuner capability.

Will dual tuner work if I use a splitter on the coax coming out of the wall and put one branch of the post-splitter coax into the Tivo "cable" input and the other branch of the coax into the "antenna" input on the Tivo?

If not, is there any other way? I'll be upgrading my whole system in a few months but in the meantime I'd like to take advantage of the dual tuner feature.

Also, I plan on buying a Tivo Wireless G adapter and a wireless router (to attach to my cable modem). Is there any particular standard I should buy for the router? Will the Tivo adapter work with all modern routers including 802.11g with SRX and 802.11 draft N? Are there any strong preferences for one over the other standard? I eventually plan on making my home office wireless, including between the cable modem and computer and between the computer and printer. Thanks.
crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #324
rainwater

There already is a internal splitter. All you need to do is use the cable input of the box and you will have dual tuners for analog cable.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #325
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouch
Will dual tuner work if I use a splitter on the coax coming out of the wall and put one branch of the post-splitter coax into the Tivo "cable" input and the other branch of the coax into the "antenna" input on the Tivo?
No. (Assuming it works like my S3.)

You only need to plug the coax into the Antenna or cable input, depending on whether you have antenna or cable. The cable is split internally to the 2 tuners. Effectively it has 2 tuners, each of which can do either cable or antenna.

In other words, you only need to plug in one cable.

If you TV is only receiving its signal over co-ax you're going to have to do something to get the signal from the TiVo to the TV. There is no co-ax out on the TiVo. If your TV has composite (yellow plugs) or S-Video (cirular plug with 4 pins) you can connect the TiVo directly to the TV. If the TV only has co-ax you're going to have to get an RF modulator to convert the TiVo output to co-ax.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #326
crouch

Thanks. I'll play around with it tonight to test the dual tuner functionality. Between that and the "Overlap Protection" feature, I should be able to avoid almost all of the scheduling conflicts I'm used to having with my Series 1.

btwyx, I simplified my question but I appreciate your response. I do have my Tivo connected to my dvd/VCR combo connected to my TV via composite cables.

Any thoughts on the wireless router purchase?
crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #327
Schmidt

Remote Lag Time With New HD Tivo?

I'd purchase a new $299 HD Tivo in a heartbeat if I knew for sure it eliminated all the maddening problems with my Comcast Motorola HD box and remote, most noteably the lag time with my Motorola remote, but also the Comcast "record only new episodes" that records the same "new" episode over and over and over, and also the sound dropouts and occur regularly. Has anybody experienced these problems with the HD Tivo?
Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #328
cr33p

So if I want to be a cheapo here and not take the plunge yet for the cable cards until I definiatively know that my local Comcast has M cards, can I just hook this bad boy up to my OTA antenna and record local HD channels correct, just like the HR10-250 ? And will it record 2 at once?
Thanks
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #329
jmpage2

I just purchased a new Tivo HD due to the incredible $218 price from Comcast. Unfortunately now that I'm on the phone with Comcast I'm beginning to think it was a mistake.

The first piece of information that I'm getting is that it's impossible for me to pick up the cable cards locally and that I must schedule a technician to show up and set up the cable cards. This doesn't seem to quite match with the experience that other Comcast subscribers in my area have, but maybe I'm mistaken on this point.

Second thing that the tech tells me is that there is no such thing as a cable card that works with a Tivo. I told him just treat it like I have a cable card that I'm going to put into a TV. That seemed to get him rolling on setting things up for me. It did throw him for a loop when I told him I need two of them.

Then the tech tells me that I need to pay $7 a month "DVR" charge for the cable card if it's going to be used with a DVR. I told him that it's none of Comcast's business whether the device is a DVR or not, that all I should be paying is the cable card rental charge and that's it.

Long story short I have an install set up since they have insisted that I can't do my own installation. I am also completely in the dark on what I'm actually going to be charged for.

I can see why many people simply give up on the thought of going with a Tivo at all and stick with the Cable DVR that they can pick up locally, plug into the outlet and have service.

Comcast might be complying with the letter of the law but certainly not in the spirit of the law as far as cable cards are concerned.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #330
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
I just purchased a new Tivo HD due to the incredible $218 price from Comcast. Unfortunately now that I'm on the phone with Comcast I'm beginning to think it was a mistake.

The first piece of information that I'm getting is that it's impossible for me to pick up the cable cards locally and that I must schedule a technician to show up and set up the cable cards. This doesn't seem to quite match with the experience that other Comcast subscribers in my area have, but maybe I'm mistaken on this point.

Second thing that the tech tells me is that there is no such thing as a cable card that works with a Tivo. I told him just treat it like I have a cable card that I'm going to put into a TV. That seemed to get him rolling on setting things up for me. It did throw him for a loop when I told him I need two of them.

Then the tech tells me that I need to pay $7 a month "DVR" charge for the cable card if it's going to be used with a DVR. I told him that it's none of Comcast's business whether the device is a DVR or not, that all I should be paying is the cable card rental charge and that's it.

Long story short I have an install set up since they have insisted that I can't do my own installation. I am also completely in the dark on what I'm actually going to be charged for.

I can see why many people simply give up on the thought of going with a Tivo at all and stick with the Cable DVR that they can pick up locally, plug into the outlet and have service.

Comcast might be complying with the letter of the law but certainly not in the spirit of the law as far as cable cards are concerned.
You should have kindly disconnected the call and called back to speak with someone who knew what they where talking about. The CSR obviously doesnt know anything. Make sure you check that bill immediately. When I purchased the S3 when it first came out Comcast tossed all kinds of stuff on my bill that they didnt even tell me they where going to.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote