Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #271
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent
moyejk: thanks for that post.

when I have a “black” screen on a QAM channel, the PCR, aPID and vPID are all showing a “-“ mark. After the “signal strength” test, the PCR and vPID are the same but the aPID is different. In one case the PCR/vPID was 69 and aPID was 72 while in another case the PCR/vPID was 74 and the aPID was 75. So, what light does that shed on what may be going on? Thanks.
Try getting rid of any splitters and see if that makes a difference.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #272
sampai

I ordered my TiVo HD from Bes tBuy's web site on Wednesday, and UPS delivered it on Friday (yesterday.) I had it up and running in a couple of hours.

Details

Cablecards
Before my TiVo arrived, I went down to my local Comcast office in Redmond, WA, and picked up two cards. The rep didn't bat an eyelid. Redmond is home to Microsoft; so there must be lots of geeks like me asking for cablecards.

After my TiVo arrived, I followed the instructions and called Comcast when it was time to activate the cards. The rep had it done within 5 minutes.

I'm currently splitting my coax cable outlet between my TiVo and my cable DVR. Once I'm happy that the TiVo is working correctly, I'll return the DVR to Comcast and ask them to take off the $11 monthly DVR fee.

Network
I got network error 24 when trying to hook up my TiVo to my home LAN. Easily fixed by assigning TiVo an IP address, rather than asking it to get one automatically.

Summary
It took a few hours to get TiVo set up just right. The longest steps were updating the software and guide ("connect to the TiVo service") and setting up my 40 season passes exactly right.

TiVo now works great. My only complaint is that there's some screen lag when acting on commands, but that's still a vast improvement over my Comcast DVR.

Last edited by sampai : 07-28-2007 at 01:51 PM.
sampai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #273
vstone

Quote:

vstone: could you please elaborate on how to tell one S3 from another, in particular, how do you identify a S3a? Thank you.
The discussion of model S3a was purely theoretical. I was just saying that it MIGHT have been possible to do a production line fix, not that it was possible or that it had been done. The fact that a newly purchased, and therefore theoretically a recently manufactured, S3 has this problem indicate that it probably has not been addressed as you indicate.

Quote:
vstone: the channel guide problem is trivial to fix. All TiVo needs to do is allow us to manually "map" a QAM channel # to the local EPG guide (provided TiVo identifies a real # instead of a goose egg).
As a programmer, I agree that this is probably reasonably easy to fix, but the code may or may not take a short amount of time to design and write. There may be some related code that has to be overhauled to support this. This code may require a set of code for units using cablecard, a set of code for those with this problem, and maybe even a set of code for those without a cablecard, but the cable company populates the virtual channel table with the same channel numbers that their STB's use. This assumes no goose egg number. Different channel numbers from different tuners is problematic, but if one assumes that the only two possible channels numbers available to a clear QAM tuner are freq/subchannel (ie actual channel data) and virtual channel number, should be easily solvable. Tivo making it a priority is a different matter.

add/edit: As sfhub has indicated, changing numbers can cause problems and then we're into writing code to rescan every day (presumably when nothing is scheduled to record) and do some additional logic with the infomation discovered. The problem comes down to the spec, which is adopted by reference and has the force of law, says populate the table with channel numbers. Perhaps they thought that cable companies would just put in the same numbers as they use for their cable boxes. Now you understand loopholes.
End add/edit.

Quote:
Given cableco's hostility (and manipulative/deceptiveness) to anyone or anything other then there own box, I don't understand why TiVo doesn't rain all over there parade. If cableco's are "required" to provide proper PSIP and they are providing "good" PSIP for everything except "local" channels that are "supposed" to be in the "clear" on QAM and only those clearQAM channels have something wrong with the PSIP, I would think it would be slam dunk cause for action from TiVo.).
This assumes that the FCC, the White House, and the Congress understand the issue and give a rat's patootie. I think the FCC, if they paid attention, would understand the issue, but nobody cares. Tivo's lobbying dollars can't come close to matching the cable industry. One would hope that Tivo's congressman would care. Don't know if he does and don't know if he has any clout. If you want this fixed, you'll probabaly have to have the big box stores start hooking their hardware up to the local cable system. Good luck with that!

Quote:
Another question to those that are more technically inclined: if I tune a clearQAM channel # and get a black screen, why does that channel then "tune-in" by going to the "signal meter" and getting a signal strength reading?
Depending on the chip set and software involved, the channel might be an encrypted channel or might be an unencrypted music channel, which in my very limited experience, your tuner may or may not be able to pick up. This is all a guess on my part. I've never seen a unit automatically go to the signal strength screen.

Last edited by vstone : 07-28-2007 at 12:37 PM.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #274
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular
OK, it's been three days.

The online docs for the TiVo HD talk about firing it up a couple of days before your Cable Card install to make sure any software updates get applied. Could there be an 8.3 update for the HD already? Maybe with the unsupported eSATA hack? Please?

-Matt
I would classify that statement as preventive medicine.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #275
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone
This assumes that the FCC, the White House, and the Congress understand the issue and give a rat's patootie. I think the FCC, if they paid attention, would understand the issue, but nobody cares. Tivo's lobbying dollars can't come close to matching the cable industry. One would hope that Tivo's congressman would care. Don't know if he does and don't know if he has any clout. If you want this fixed, you'll probabaly have to have the big box stores start hooking their hardware up to the local cable system. Good luck with that!
I think TiVo should send out free evaluation TiVo HDs to influential people in Congress, including everyone on the FCC. Let them get personally vested in the problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #276
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
I think TiVo should send out free evaluation TiVo HDs to influential people in Congress, including everyone on the FCC. Let them get personally vested in the problem.
I never thought I'd look back nostalgically on the reign of Michael Powell.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #277
moyekj

Quote:
moyejk: thanks for that post.

when I have a “black” screen on a QAM channel, the PCR, aPID and vPID are all showing a “-“ mark. After the “signal strength” test, the PCR and vPID are the same but the aPID is different. In one case the PCR/vPID was 69 and aPID was 72 while in another case the PCR/vPID was 74 and the aPID was 75. So, what light does that shed on what may be going on? Thanks.
Well, the fact that "-" mark is being shown when it's black seems to indicate no signal lock so perhaps you have very marginal signal strength as sfhub indicated. If you haven't already try removing any splitters/amps on your cable coax and feed the Tivo the line drop directly to see if that improves things.

Ultimately though, even if you can get these clear QAM channels to tune properly the Tivo has limited functionality (dumb VCR) without guide listings so I'm not sure how useful it is in that mode. I eventually gave up on Tivo supporting clear QAM properly and just forked out the money to Cox for cablecards + digital cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #278
clark_kent

Hello all… and thank you for your reply’s.

Whish I know how to selectively show quotes ? …

sfhub/moyekj: I have no splitter on the S3 input; signal strength always 94+.

vstone:

RE S3a: OK, but is there a way to tell anything at from the serial #, like manufacture date?

RE programming a channel “mapping” feature: if I had any influence on getting this implemented, my suggestion would be to start with the old KISS approach. The “universal” fix would be wonderful, but as you suggest, cumbersome and complicated to implement. But limited functionality should be relatively simple to implement and solve most of the issues. S3’s (or TiVoHD’s with cableCard(s) installed probably don’t need this “mapping” function since the cableCard does this for you. When the S3 does a channel scan, I pretty sure that it can’t tell one QAM channel from another (ie encrypted, in-the-clear, music, premium, PPV, etc) it just list all channels # it finds and if the PSIP is “malformed” beyond some point, the S3 gives up and assigns that “channel” a “0” designation. I’m assuming (we all know what that really means) that inside the S3 is a channel table as well the local EPG table (and if the local EPG table is NOT in the S3, that is something that IS trivial and easy for the S3 to obtain). Once you have the channel table and the EPG table, it would be fairly strait forward to be able correlate (“map”) a given QAM channel # to the EPG. My TiVo S1 periodically displays a “there been a lineup change” so the S3 could “see” that the “mapping” function has been “activated” and put out a message to the user if the EPG table changes. But that won’t solve the problem of “re-mapping” if the cableco simply changes the frequency of a QAM channel. Cableco’s can change QAM channel numbers (frequencies) all day long, but channel name “designation” (if that’s what it’s called) like ABC-HD, NBC-HD, PBS-HD, CSPAN, etc within the EPG table probably do not change. If there was a way to detect such change, the S3 could perhaps keep-up with frequency changes, otherwise for those of us that would use this “limited” functionality would need to periodically “check” our “mapping” and live with having to make changes. I, for one, would gladly live with this, as it would be better then what I’ve got now. (A side note: I’d be happy to rent a cableCard if I could get it for just the basic/local tier; but I can’t add a cableCard unless I move up 3 or 4 tier levels, and subscribe to a gazillion channels that I will never watch.) In one of my former lives I was a programmer and I would have been happy to volunteer for this undertaking, but alas, there are too many cobwebs and those memory cells seam to be no longer function. If only I’d have done a core dump and backed up my brain…

RE the White House and Congress: I don’t think I’ll be holding my breath. But, if there is/are FCC regulation(s) that “require” cableco’s to provide “proper” PSIP (or what ever else) so that any “local” channels that “must” be delivered “in-the-clear” and not only deliver a “picture” but what ever goes with (it in the PSIP) to get proper program guide info as well, and the cableco’s are not doing that as a result of some “technical” difficulties (deliberate, or otherwise), if I was TiVo, I’d be on the phone and sending nasty grams everyday (on behalf of TiVo customers) as well as sending a nasty grams in some “official complaint” to the FCC (every day if need be), until someone fixes the problem. I would think that TiVo would have the technical equipment and know-how to “look” at the PSIP and “see” if all is well or not. And if not, at least TiVo has “clear evidence” to support the “violation” where as us consumers have no “evidence” to stand on.

RE black screen: when I tune a QAM channel (via number pad selection or selecting from the guide) and I get a black screen, then, if I navigate to the signal meter (which has always shown 94 or better) and select “give me a reading” then for some reason the picture comes in. I did notice that when signal strength is selected, both tuners are “forced” to the same QAM channel. I didn’t use to get a black screen when the S3 first arrived. So I don’t know if component aging has set in or if the cableco is doing something different or why the picture comes in when both tuners are forced to the same channel by exercising the meter.

Looking forward feedback… thank you all.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #279
sfhub

Quote:
RE black screen: when I tune a QAM channel (via number pad selection or selecting from the guide) and I get a black screen, then, if I navigate to the signal meter (which has always shown 94 or better) and select “give me a reading” then for some reason the picture comes in. I did notice that when signal strength is selected, both tuners are “forced” to the same QAM channel. I didn’t use to get a black screen when the S3 first arrived. So I don’t know if component aging has set in or if the cableco is doing something different or why the picture comes in when both tuners are forced to the same channel by exercising the meter.
You are preaching to the choir on the channel mapping. Everything under the sun has been discussed and suggested. No word from TiVo, so that is where the bottleneck is.

BTW there are some cable companies that send 3 digit PSIP for their channels. Folks in these areas have said they are able to have guide data associated with channels w/o needing CableCARDs.

Regarding your blank screen problem, can you bring up the TiVo status display
S-P-S-InstantReplay-S

This will tell you the active tuner. I'm wondering if you have a problem with one of the tuners, and when you bring up the signal meter, it goes to the other tuner after forcing it to be the same channel.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #280
clark_kent

I'm still green around the edges...

could you please elaborate on: S-P-S-InstantReplay-S

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #281
sfhub

Play back a recorded show or watch livetv.

Press the following sequence on the remote control:

Select-Play-Select-InstantReplay-Select
Old 07-29-2007, 02:05 AM   #282
moyekj

clark_kent, if you are really serious about getting clear QAM working there actually is a user solution to the problem that involves some hacking (messing with the file system a little). See this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=354008
Problem with that method though is if any of your QAMs move around then you have to re-do the hack again. Also looks like not much came from it as that thread has been pretty dead for a while.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #283
sfhub

I wonder if they can do a WIRNS style proxy to replace the guide dynamically with new mappings. Maybe you can even get 7.1 to specify a cable channel.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #284
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
I wonder if they can do a WIRNS style proxy to replace the guide dynamically with new mappings. Maybe you can even get 7.1 to specify a cable channel.
I think there is a lot more encryption happening during Tivo service connects so setting up intercept proxies I don't think would be trivial.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #285
Ken7

Does anyone know the difference in terms of the THX Certification on the S3 and not having it on the Tivo HD? Is there any real difference in not having the THX Certification in terms of a Tivo? I know sometimes companies try to save money by simply not applying for it on cheaper models.
Ken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #286
clark_kent

sfhub: thanks for that tip on the status display... is there a link to other know codes?

RE tuner 0/1 and black screen:

Individually, both tuners appear to exhibit about the same non-functionality. If I tune a QAM channel on one tuner and it displays black and then tune a different QAM channel on the other tuner and that tuner displays a picture right of the bat, the black QAM channel tuner stays black, however, if I tune a QAM channel and it displays black, and then tune a different QAM channel on the other tuner that had also displayed black, then both (different) QAM channels magically display the picture. The only way I seem to be able to get both tuners on to the same QAM channel is by selecting the meter reading function, which seems to always bring in the picture on a black channel. I would think that TiVo engineering would be interested in this. If I “jump” to the TV tuner, it never comes in black. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #287
jazmaan

Does anyone here use the new HD Tivo with Time Warner in Santa Monica or West L.A.? If so please tell me if you are happy with the service? Does Time Warner Santa Monica have Multichannel Cable Cards available? How much do they charge? Is SDV an issue with Time Warner Santa Monica?

Thanks
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #288
lessadventurous

I ordered my TiVo HD on Monday at about 10 p.m., but wasn't one of the lucky ones to receive a tracking number (though it did say "Shipped" for a few hours). Bummer... So those ones really got shipped and received? Well, now I'm wishing I waited to go to Circuit City or something.

And I just have one quick question. The Wireless G adapter will work with the unit, right? On Amazon, at least, it says it's for Series2 DVRs only.

I'm excited to have a TiVo of my own, when it finally comes! My parents got their first about 5 or 6 years ago (I was 16 or 17), and after getting used to it, it was hard moving out and going to my dorm or apartment where there wasn't one!

Last edited by lessadventurous : 07-29-2007 at 10:08 PM.
lessadventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #289
aus1ander
schmoopy

Yes, the Wireless G works. In fact, I have one plugged in right now.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:08 AM   #290
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander
Yes, the Wireless G works. In fact, I have one plugged in right now.
Shouldn't it work the same as the premium Series 3 or even the Series 2 machines?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #291
linkgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessadventurous
I ordered my TiVo HD on Monday at about 10 p.m., but wasn't one of the lucky ones to receive a tracking number (though it did say "Shipped" for a few hours). Bummer... So those ones really got shipped and received? Well, now I'm wishing I waited to go to Circuit City or something.

And I just have one quick question. The Wireless G adapter will work with the unit, right? On Amazon, at least, it says it's for Series2 DVRs only.

I'm excited to have a TiVo of my own, when it finally comes! My parents got their first about 5 or 6 years ago (I was 16 or 17), and after getting used to it, it was hard moving out and going to my dorm or apartment where there wasn't one!
Sorry yours is taking so long to get to you - mine arrived on Thursday. I must have just made the cutoff.

If it helps - I still have to wait another 5 days for the cablecards even tho I ordered them the same day as the Tivo!

Last edited by linkgirl : 07-30-2007 at 12:27 AM.
linkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #292
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Shouldn't it work the same as the premium Series 3 or even the Series 2 machines?
It's different hardware so that's one reason it might not fly.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #293
ldc3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessadventurous

It says Series 2 only because at the time it was made there wasn't a Series 3. The Series 2 only is referencing Series 1 and Direct Tivos.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #294
spcedog

tivo hd woes from a new user...

Hi everyone...this community is amazing. I've been scouring all the posts and reading the reviews and I'm really excited to get my first tivo....the Tivo HD....in fact I have it in my possession...got it from Circuit City in Huntington Beach, CA today...let me tell you all of my journey...

1. I arrive there after ordering the unit on the web at like 10 am with in-store pickup...following a tip off here I used a coupon I bought off ebay for a buck to get 10% off...got the tivo for 269.99...awesome right? Today at about 2 pm I make it over to the store. Oops...their system for web orders is currently down (went down at around 11:30)...argh...they said come back later and I'll get a $24 gift card for their 24 minute in store pickup guarantee...alright...not so bad.

2. I wait patiently, trying not to call every 30 minutes asking if the system is back up. I finally call at like 6:30...it's up! I zoom over in my car and walk up to the pickup counter...with no line! awesome! I hand them all my stuff and they go to search for the Tivo HD...which I had just seen on the shelf when I picked up my wireless adapter that I was going to buy with the $24 gift card! The guy comes back with the Tivo Series 3...I keep quiet hoping they'll just fork it over...but alas they compared model numbers....and went back to find it. Guy comes back 10 minutes later and says they don't have it so they'll refund me the charges!!! In my calmest voice possible, I tell him they're on the shelf! I saw them! He says he'll look again...finally he comes back with the box. I make my purchases (got the 5 year protection plan) and go home.

3. I get back home at like 7:30 and eagerly unseal the Tivo HD box and open it up...expecting the golden glow to burst from the box. Inside the box there is the Tivo encased in two pieces of styrofoam...wrapped in plastic...and NOTHING else. That's right...no manuals, remote, power cord...NOTHING! I began laughing hysterically...I'm starting to doubt if I'm meant to get Tivo HD. The box was totally not opened previously. I think Tivo just forgot to put the little pack in that has everything. Circuit City closes at 8 pm on a sunday and I would never make it there in time. Keep in mind, I live in Los Angeles and am moving on tuesday, have a lot of packing to do, and was just down in Orange County for the weekend at my parents because it was my birthday. Now I have to stay down here till 10 am tomorrow when Circuit City opens back up again and exchange the unit. I know I could probably go to any Circuit City...but I just want to return it to the store I got it from just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for reading my saga thus far. I have my cablecard installation set up for my new apartment on August 1st with Time Warner Cable. When I asked for two cablecards for a tivo, the csr repeated, "Ok I have you scheduled for a two tv setup..." to which I replied, "but it's a tivo..." and he cut me off and repeated the same thing with a knowing inflection in his voice. I think what everyone is saying about the cable companies is really true. They don't want us to have the power of Tivo for ourselves. I hope I can find a Tivo with a power cord before then It'll be me surrounded by towers of boxes listening to those joyous popping noises I always envied at my friend's house.

Ok. Longest first post ever probably. I apologize....but I just had to vent! Thanks
spcedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 AM   #295
moyekj

Judging by the influx of new 1st time Tivo users posting in these threads I would say Tivo has hit the mark and right price point with this new unit - better a little late than never.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #296
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcedog
Ok. Longest first post ever probably. I apologize....but I just had to vent! Thanks
Everybody needs to vent sometimes. Either way, welcome to the Tivolution! Hopefully those cables and manuals will show up somewhere.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #297
jazmaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcedog
Thank you for reading my saga thus far. I have my cablecard installation set up for my new apartment on August 1st with Time Warner Cable. When I asked for two cablecards for a tivo, the csr repeated, "Ok I have you scheduled for a two tv setup..." to which I replied, "but it's a tivo..." and he cut me off and repeated the same thing with a knowing inflection in his voice. I think what everyone is saying about the cable companies is really true. They don't want us to have the power of Tivo for ourselves.
I just visited TWC in Santa Monica to ask about Cablecards. The girl gave me a blank stare when I asked about a single Multichannel Cable Card. She disappeared for about 10 minutes to ask someone else. When she came back she said I would have to rent two cablecards at $1.75/month each.

And of course they have to schedule an in-home installation visit just to pop in the cable cards, like I couldn't have done that myself. This was just an informational visit - so I didn't schedule an appointment yet. I have to check availability in my local Circuit City and also make some decisions about if I want to Grandfather out my old Sony 30gig Series 1 Lifetimed workhorse, or keep it alive on another TV while paying $6.95/month for the new box.

Here's another question - I presently have plain vanilla analog service - not even a Cable box - just a coaxial cable out of the wall into some splitters that serve 4 TV's in my house. The TV with Tivo has a splitter that allows me to watch one channel while taping another.

If I switch from analog to HD digital, will my other TV's without cable boxes stop working? Or will their internal tuners still be able to function so I can watch regular (non HD/Digital) TV like before?
jazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #298
AGBulls

So where can I find this elusive Circuit City coupon?
AGBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #299
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmaan
If I switch from analog to HD digital, will my other TV's without cable boxes stop working? Or will their internal tuners still be able to function so I can watch regular (non HD/Digital) TV like before?
They will continue to work just fine. The analog channels and all the digital SD/HD channels are all carried on the same line at different carrier frequencies that do not interfere with each other.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #300
spcedog

saga update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGBulls
So where can I find this elusive Circuit City coupon?
just search for circuit city coupon on ebay...they are 10% off $199 or more coupons...save you $30 bucks and only cost about a $1.50. Just a special note, I had to call in to the Circuit City toll-free number to order because the coupon didn't work just doing a web order. They were able to make it work with no hassle at all.

Brought in my remoteless, power cordless tivo this morning...and the guy at the Customer Service counter opened up another box and gave me the little cardboard package out of it. Didn't even do anything in the computer. Circuit City can be really strange. Although I think it was probably easier this way because I got the extended warranty on this box.

Just completed guided setup...everything is looking fabulous...except for the actual cable channels because I don't have my cards yet. I'll just have to wait patiently till wednesday.
spcedog is offline   Reply With Quote